What should the Bills do at #8?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not say Geno was a run first guy, I just dont want to trade up for him or pick him at all, dont think he is that good!

ummm....

all those guys are run first QB's and thay style does not win super bowls, Black, White, Brown < pink colour makes np diference!

::shrug::

Edited by NoSaint

we trade freddy for a third

Stopped reading there. You're out of your mind if you think an injured, soon-to-be 32-year old running back is going to get you a 3rd round pick.

Stopped reading there. You're out of your mind if you think an injured, soon-to-be 32-year old running back is going to get you a 3rd round pick.

especially one coming off two straight years with leg injuries.

I am hearing, some rumblings around the net that he is coming out. I sure hope he does.

also, link?

Since we have finally addressed who our DC is, I have a strong suspicion that David Amerson will be our first pick. He is big, fast, strong and a ball hawk and we know how much the Jets love the DB's. I think Buffalo picks the future QB in the second round since there is no clear #1 here.

I think they seriously consider Arron Murray, and thruth be told, I think he is the best one available and ready to play in the NFL, he is a big, strong, big arm, smart qb and most important he is a pocket qb and pocket qb's win.

The Mike Vic's, RG3's and the Cam Newtons have short careers, and I have not seen many win the superbowl, just look at the past twenty years how many of those style qb's have won the big one, I dont think any, please no Gino Smith trade ups or even if he falls to us.

we trade freddy for a third and grab a couple of LB's and we address WR and more LB in free agency, in the meantime we try to make a trade for Alex Smith, if we can't get Smith, we keep Fitz, there is worse things than keeping Fitz. I think we also add another QB in the fourth, a big arm project guy.

It will allow the OL to get together under the new OC for there or four games and Fitz can take the hits until they get in a grove and give Arron heavy reps in practice. Our schedule looks like it is going to be week next year and hopefully Fitz can get us to 2 - 2 and then let Arron take over. Our O-LIne is good and can protect the kid.

Just remember one thing, none of this happens if we do not get a corner that can start right away like Gilmore did. That allows the d-fence to get creative, with no one to throw the ball to down feild, that adds up to lots of mistakes by the other teams offence.

IMO!!

Maybe it will change but most draft ratings I've seen have Amerson as the fourth or fifth CB and taken in the first half of the second round.

Primary needs: QB, MLB

Wilson only QB IMO worth 8. Put Te'o top MLB.

My ranking for that spot:

1. Wilson

2. Te'o

3. ????

4. ????

How does Te'o play with pads on? He didn't look so good undressed out there Monday night.

Then that settles it! We take him at #8....

That's funny, but I've noticed that a lot of sites have the Bills in their Mocks drafts taking players a round or two higher than they rate the players on their big board- it's kind of irritating but the Bills do make picks like that occasionally (TJ Graham).

hey guys... I just got back from the future... here is what we do...

ROUND ONE - MATT BARKLEY - QB - USC

ROUND TWO - KEVIN MINTER - ILB - LSU

ROUND THREE - RYAN NASSIB - QB - CUSE

everyone was posting on here how happy they were because drafting two QB's we are bound to get one of them right. people were also shocked to see Kevin Minter drop to us in the second, but then again, we had some gold fall to us last year too...

(ps - for you gamblers - Ravens and Packers played in the Superbowl - can't tell you who wins though, I don't want to ruin the space/time continuim)

Minter will be a first rounder, Nassib will go in the 2nd at the latest. But getting a QB AND Minter in this draft would be a great haul.

As a poster on this board I've read many directions the Bills should take with the 8th pick in the draft from taking a QB/LB to moving back to acquire more picks. I like moving back with one exception, that if at 8 one of the blue chip OTs are sitting there(Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan). Providing we resign Levitre, with one of those boys lined up at tackle opposite Cordy Glenn the Bills could have one of the most dominant Olines since the 90s Cowboys teams. They can bring in a vet QB and still draft one in rd 2. Thoughts?

As much as I like your idea of adding to the O line, the LBer corps needs help more. Or even WR.

I wouldnt be furious with taking milner the problem is we have 3 positions as I see it and maybe 4 if levitre is unsigned that have to be fixed for next year. LB, WR, QB. DB is a problem but we can get by without it. I wouldnt mind trading down (like everyone else) if we could somehow grab an extra second or even 3rd we could grab maybe a hopkins at wideout or tyler wilson or vice versa. I still think you can get decent LB's in the 2nd to 3rd round as well as guards. Corners though you need to get early so if we have no other choice I could see Milner being the guy.

Murray is going back. It is a done deal.

he announced it already. Buck Belue was all over this a couple days ago. Belue is the UGA qb who throw the famous Lindsey Scott TD pass to beat Fla with time running out back in early 80's. He is very ied to the program and Qb's there.

Murray is staying so move on from him.

Dream scenario is usually a trade down. Very doubtful it happens, but just for fun.

Trade down to the early late teens and pick up a 2nd, while giving back a 5th.

1st- DE/OLB- Dion Jordan. I think this guy is a freak. Love him.

2nd- QB- Nassib- it makes sense.

2nd- Amerson or Xavier Rhodes- in the new defense, we need better corners. Blitzing requires good coverage.

3rd- OLB/ILB Arthur Brown. Amazing in coverage. We need a LB that can cover. Badly.

4th- Zac Dysert. I love the kid. I'd take him over Nassib, but nassib looks to be rated higher atm. I like the value.

That draft would make me extremely happy. But it's unlikely we trade down, so....

1st- Jordan

2nd- nassib

3rd- brown

4th- Dysert

5th- Tyran Mathieu

2 QBs, 2 LB types or a DE, CB. Then add another LB and an OL. See what WRs, CBs and TEs are available in FA. Resign Byrd, Levitre and mckelvin. Maybe a couple others. Cut Kelsey, B. Smith, Barnett, mcgee and fitz.

-I used Walterfootballs current mock draft and selected players that were available when we picked.....except nassib. They have the jets taking him in rd 2 ahead of us. I could see that happening and is the reason I think we're going to draft a QB at 8.

1- Wilson, glennon, Barkley or Nassib

2- CB- amerson, Rhodes, trufant, roby, poyer

3- LB Arthur brown.

4- Dysert. Yeah, I really like him.

5- nico Johnson, Chris Borland, Tom Wort.

Edited by NewEra

If they stay at 8 and pick a QB, that is a big reach this year. The Bills will have to watch what other QB starved teams do. I believe they will not be aggressive, specially if they are not sold on the top 2 QBs (G Smith and Barkley). Expect them to trade out of the 8th to a mid-level position (16-18). Get a few extra picks and select a QB (Glennon or Nassib come to mind). If they stand pat, I think that the will go to strengthen either line and select Werner DE Florida State.

If they stay at 8 and pick a QB, that is a big reach this year. The Bills will have to watch what other QB starved teams do. I believe they will not be aggressive, specially if they are not sold on the top 2 QBs (G Smith and Barkley). Expect them to trade out of the 8th to a mid-level position (16-18). Get a few extra picks and select a QB (Glennon or Nassib come to mind). If they stand pat, I think that the will go to strengthen either line and select Werner DE Florida State.

I'd be pumped to get Werner, but I think he's gone by 8. Trading down is definitely ideal, but unlikely IMO.

We have two backs! and backs are easier to come by. Anyone who thinks they are a back away from making a serious run for the playoffs. Had we of traded Fred in October, we may even of got a second, I think a third for Fred is a posibility.

You think someone would hv traded a second for a Fred in Oct after he hurt his knee on opening day?

Fred doesn't have any real trade value now at age 32 and after two years of injuries

Because the strongest player might be your starting (and dominant) RT for the next 10 years. Pitt keeps drafting LBs. SF keeps drafting Oline and Giants keep drafting pass rushers. I'm OK with the Oline. Dline. LB or QB. Every year. Every pick

The main difference between the Bills and the three teams you mentioned, is the fact those three teams are set at the QB position. Their rosters are loaded with talent from top to bottom which affords them the opportunity to continue to draft their areas of strength. The Bills still have too many needs at QB, LB, DBs, WR to draft more lineman at present. After the previously mentioned positions are taken care of, then the Bills can draft BPA. Granted PIT and the NYG missed the playoffs this year, but of PIT, NYG and the Bills which two teams realistically will have the best chance to be in the playoffs next year?

Let's spend a first rounder on a position we just spent unbelievable amounts of money on. Werner will be gone, as will Jones likely. If Jones is there, I don't want him anyways. He can't cover and he has spinal issues that will shorten his career. Moore can't cover the run. Mingo is the only one that will be there and doesn't have outstanding issues, but he's not worth the 8th pick over bigger needs.

Unless one believes that Pettine's defense will make the existing talent much more effective in rushing the passer, the Bills have a need for another pass rusher. How much money they spent last year is immaterial.

Pressuring the quarterback is one of the most important components of winning in the NFL. The Bills had 30 sacks last year.

Actually Jim Kelly played in Miami and Houston, and I think Bart Starr played at Alabama. Joe Ferguson played at Arkansas, and Terry Bradshaw played in Louisiana. I'm not all that concerned that a guy comes from the south.

Also Brett Favre. Bert Jones.

Where a QB grew up/played collegiately is only an issue with people who use stereotypes to make sense of the world around them.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with what you said, but one thing all of us should keep in mind when doing our own evaluations of quarterbacks is whether the video we are watching is a highlight video (like the 2nd one) or a pure "every snap in a game" video (like the first one). Highlight videos can make anyone look good when you cherry pick.

Keep in mind many other things as well: the talent level of the opponent relative to the QBs own team. Which part of the season the game was played. Home or away game?

One thing about Cordy Glenn last year is that you could see him improving every week until his dominant performances at year's end, stoning Mingo and Montgomery in the SEC Championship Game.

It seems like most posters here watch video without taking into account the context of the game (ie- Nassib vs USC).

Unless one believes that Pettine's defense will make the existing talent much more effective in rushing the passer, the Bills have a need for another pass rusher. How much money they spent last year is immaterial.

Pressuring the quarterback is one of the most important components of winning in the NFL. The Bills had 30 sacks last year.

Your analysis is very short sighted. Bills were 31st against run last year. Thirty one freaking first out of thirty two teams. What opportunity do you have to rush the passer wgen opponents simply get to run all over you ? The other guys point as right: investments on the dline have put capable pass rushers in place. To use them we need to stop the run, and put teams in more obvious and longer passing situations. That's the real key now to elevating your one-dimensional sack total view of a defense

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

How do you teach him to play in bad weather ?? Don't know ---me either i'll pass !!

Before you make another comment about Geno Smith, please education yourself. He played in bad weather consistently in West Virginia. Just because you watched a bowl game doesn't mean you have wisdom on a player.

i would trade back and get extra picks. The priorities are LB and QB. There isnt a high QB in this draft...you can find a QB in the second half of the 1st or early in the second.

They keep Levitre and Byrd...they sign as UFAs a WR and CB. bringing in a CB and WR would have more impact then drafting one.

Your analysis is very short sighted. Bills were 31st against run last year. Thirty one freaking first out of thirty two teams. What opportunity do you have to rush the passer wgen opponents simply get to run all over you ? The other guys point as right: investments on the dline have put capable pass rushers in place. To use them we need to stop the run, and put teams in more obvious and longer passing situations. That's the real key now to elevating your one-dimensional sack total view of a defense

Disagree.

No matter the down and distance, the Bills defense couldn't get off the field.

I remember numerous 3rd and long conversions against the Bills defense this past season.

They'd finally get a favorable 3rd down situation and still blow it.

Short of getting some advanced stats (ie- adjusted third down rate), we'll have to disagree.

And I don't want to hijack the thread.

The main difference between the Bills and the three teams you mentioned, is the fact those three teams are set at the QB position. Their rosters are loaded with talent from top to bottom which affords them the opportunity to continue to draft their areas of strength. The Bills still have too many needs at QB, LB, DBs, WR to draft more lineman at present. After the previously mentioned positions are taken care of, then the Bills can draft BPA. Granted PIT and the NYG missed the playoffs this year, but of PIT, NYG and the Bills which two teams realistically will have the best chance to be in the playoffs next year?

I think we are in agreement. The only difference is: I'm open to the possibility that a franchise QB may not be in this draft. Then what?

Disagree.

No matter the down and distance, the Bills defense couldn't get off the field.

I remember numerous 3rd and long conversions against the Bills defense this past season.

They'd finally get a favorable 3rd down situation and still blow it.

Short of getting some advanced stats (ie- adjusted third down rate), we'll have to disagree.

And I don't want to hijack the thread.

Nothing to do with thread hijack. You don't want to respond because you see the weakness in your argument. Yes there were a few letdowns late in games last year and we all know that. But you're going to let a few plays take precedent over the 300-something times we were run against, showing we were horrifically bad in that central area? And to my earlier point about how your focus is too narrow and you don't see the integral nature of run defense: some of the late game let downs on pass defense were most certainly from fatigue getting run over all game, and secondary personnel having to take on RBs with a full head of steam.

Nothing to do with thread hijack. You don't want to respond because you see the weakness in your argument. Yes there were a few letdowns late in games last year and we all know that. But you're going to let a few plays take precedent over the 300-something times we were run against, showing we were horrifically bad in that central area? And to my earlier point about how your focus is too narrow and you don't see the integral nature of run defense: some of the late game let downs on pass defense were most certainly from fatigue getting run over all game, and secondary personnel having to take on RBs with a full head of steam.

Disagree.

We can argue opinions but without any objective measure, it's a waste of my time and yours.

31st run defense

10th pass defense

Third down conversion rate would be the most important stat.

Adjusted third down conversion rate would be even better because it would possibly support your argument that the opponents third down conversions were based on the Bills giving up too much yardage on first and second downs.

These basic stats mean next to nothing.

Teams win in the NFL by passing and stopping the pass.

I'm done Joe. It's all yours to do with what you'd like. Have fun.

Third down conversion rate would be the most important stat.

Adjusted third down conversion rate would be even better because it would possibly support your argument that the opponents third down conversions were based on the Bills giving up too much yardage on first and second downs.

These basic stats mean next to nothing.

Teams win in the NFL by passing and stopping the pass.

I'm done Joe. It's all yours to do with what you'd like. Have fun.

Raising stats you don't have simply another evasive maneuver. And you say conclusions can't be drawn without them yet you concluded pass rusher is priority based on a single sack figure. Totally ignoring the far more comprehensive and damning run defense figure.

youre done all right.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Raising stats you don't have simply another evasive maneuver. And you say decision can't be made without them yet you concluded pass rusher is priority based on a single sack figure. Totally ignoring the far more comprehensive and damning run defense figure.

youre done all right.

If you say so, Joe.

Congratulations.

What about a corner with the 8th? Dee Milliner looks really good, Gilmore didn't play as well as most hoped .

I like drafting corners but with other needs not this year. Only way I see them going corner @8 back to back is if pettine has massive influence on draft and brings jets 2-stud DB mentality with him.

I'd like to trade back also, but I don't see anyone who would want the 8th spot. I want to draft Alec Ogletree in the first. I think he is a better LB then Te'o. Then take Nassib, Jones, Boyd (if he goes pro) in the 2nd. I want a WR also somewhere in the draft or bring in a FA.

Agree about Ogletree.