What should the Bills do at #8?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Hunter would be tempting at 8. Too bad he played for Tennessee where he might have really blossomed elsewhere. I'd sooner trade back and get AJ Murray from Georgia who seems really undervalued to me.

Murray is staying in school... And it's Aaron Murray.

In my opinion, if we come out of this draft with one of Smith, Glennon, Wilson Barkley or MAYBE Nassib (he's the only one of the group I'm very iffy on), then we've done well at the QB position.

No, I'm not saying all of those guys will be great or even good pros, but I think they're all good prospects. Just have to figure out which one is OUR guy and get him.

Edited by DStebb716

Now heres my honest question, what if the Bills have Milliner as thier top rated player, and take him at number 8. How do you all react?

We could do worse than Milliner. coupled with Gilmore it give Pettine two talented CB's he can rely on like he had in New York allowing him to send some blitzes. I would not be upset with that pick.

If they stay at 8 and pick a QB, that is a big reach this year. The Bills will have to watch what other QB starved teams do. I believe they will not be aggressive, specially if they are not sold on the top 2 QBs (G Smith and Barkley). Expect them to trade out of the 8th to a mid-level position (16-18). Get a few extra picks and select a QB (Glennon or Nassib come to mind). If they stand pat, I think that the will go to strengthen either line and select Werner DE Florida State.

Last year Tannehill as picked at #8 by the Dolphins. I sure Ryan was not slated anywhere in the top 20 of most of the draft boards. However, if you think he is your guy and is unlikely to be there in the next round or don't have a viable trading partner, then you make the pick. If the Bills have wasted picks on Whitner @ #8, how bad it can be to get a QB there.

Everyone wants to trade either up or down in the draft. Almost never happens. I got no problem with wishful thinking but don't get your hopes up.

I wish people would stop saying this. According to the NFL, last year almost 50% of the eligible draft picks were the result of position trades. And that 50% were the trades that were agreed to, there are no figures that I can find on trade offers that were not agreed to.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828a1a27/article/nfl-draft-trade-tracker-details-of-all-the-moves

Two picks were traded multiple times.

The traded picks in the first round alone- 2,3,4,5,6,7,12,14,15,21,25,27,29,31

Edited by simpleman

Raising stats you don't have simply another evasive maneuver. And you say conclusions can't be drawn without them yet you concluded pass rusher is priority based on a single sack figure. Totally ignoring the far more comprehensive and damning run defense figure.

youre done all right.

Is Mantei Te'o going to fix our run D? I hear that his specialty.

You think someone would hv traded a second for a Fred in Oct after he hurt his knee on opening day?

Fred doesn't have any real trade value now at age 32 and after two years of injuries

Bills fans have a great memory. We love to live in the past when it comes to a good player, didnt you know that? ha

KC may want the 8th spot...after they pick up a FA QB and realize that the best value for their #1 spot will be in other teams draft picks. At 8 they can get one of the top stud OTs.

Question is: would we pull that move for Geno Smith?

I'm not so sure Geno Smith is worth the trade. If he is in the range of Griffin or Newton, then I say go for it, no doubt, no hesitation. But, if he's not much better than Glennon, Nassib, Wilson, Barkley - then what's the point? I'm just not good enough at player analysis to say if he's really got "it". One thing that I saw which made me second guess him - he backed out of, or elected not to play in, the senior bowl. I would definitely have to see him perform at the combine next to his peers.

Not to mention, we need LB'ers, for sure - we could use another WR, and we need a QB. Maybe we need another CB, too. If we could bet a stud LB, or a GREAT DLineman/OLB, or elite CB, and then pick up a Nassib, or Barkley, or other QB who is good, and still be able to go after insurance later, like Dysert, or Bray. I think you want to fill as many needs as possible in this draft, unless the QB you're trading for is as much of a game changer as Griffin or Newton, you don't make the trade up.

I wish people would stop saying this. According to the NFL, last year almost 50% of the eligible draft picks were the result of position trades. And that 50% were the trades that were agreed to, there are no figures that I can find on trade offers that were not agreed to.

http://www.nfl.com/d...f-all-the-moves

Two picks were traded multiple times.

The traded picks in the first round alone- 2,3,4,5,6,7,12,14,15,21,25,27,29,31

Agreed...Some teams understand how you can make the Draft work for you...Others with Good-ol' boy-ex-scout-GM's who are forever locked in the past...not-so-much...I guess it takes too much thinkin'... ;)

I would LOVE to see the Bills lock in on the QB of their choice (assuming Geno Smith is gone), Trade down a couple spots, pick up a Draft Pick or two, then take the QB in the 1st...It is a bit riskier when a QB is your target...But I think if it's a kid like Nassib you covet, it may be a safer bet...We'll see...If Buddy is still in charge we can forget about a Trade Down...It's not gonna happen... B-)

Well Buddy did actually trade up to take TJ Graham last year so now that he's no longer a virgin, maybe he can do something on a slightly grander scale.

You can pretty much publicly chart Nix's progression from scout to GM. It seems like he's learned a lot of very public lessons about for instance, drafting quarterbacks and trading during the draft.

Well Buddy did actually trade up to take TJ Graham last year so now that he's no longer a virgin, maybe he can do something on a slightly grander scale.

You can pretty much publicly chart Nix's progression from scout to GM. It seems like he's learned a lot of very public lessons about for instance, drafting quarterbacks and trading during the draft.

I hear you...Just wish he would have learned those lessons BEFORE he actually became a GM... ;)

And I don't want Buddy trading up either...I'm not a big trade up guy...I mean...I can see it when there is a Luck, Newton, or RGIII-type QB available to be had...But otherwise I'd MUCH rather trade down...Of course you still have to pick the right guys...But you get more chances!!! B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

We need to draft a punter @ #8!

Well, number 8 is available. But I think they're set with Powell who's #6. Maybe it'll be a kicker. Lindell wears #9.

For all the trade down folks - it takes two to tango. Who do you think is willing to waltz the waltz with Whalix?

I agree with this. The Bills can not afford to fear a pick being labeled as a "reach" -- if they like ANY QB in the draft well enough to believe he could be "the guy" for 10 years, make the move at #8.

In retrospect, the best QB in the entire 2007 draft is a toss-up between Trent Edwards and Kolb. It was really that bad.

No, I do not want to reach for some junk QB with a #8 overall pick.

Buddy's out of the picture now. Just a figurehead to help smooth transition process. He's not a decision maker, we saw that in the new HC search, which wouldn't have gone down that way if buddy were in control. Heck gailey might still even be here.

For insight into what we might or might not do, better to focus on Brandon and the new hires. Although i don't necessarily see a lot of trading around (because most picks aren't traded), with how aggressive they were lining up a coach and the focus on analytics to spot value, I'd say there's a greater chance this year.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack