What should the Bills do at #8?

As a poster on this board I've read many directions the Bills should take with the 8th pick in the draft from taking a QB/LB to moving back to acquire more picks. I like moving back with one exception, that if at 8 one of the blue chip OTs are sitting there(Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan). Providing we resign Levitre, with one of those boys lined up at tackle opposite Cordy Glenn the Bills could have one of the most dominant Olines since the 90s Cowboys teams. They can bring in a vet QB and still draft one in rd 2. Thoughts?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think at 8th overall pick we have the ability to draft a day 1 impact player and we shouldn't trade that for much. There is more talent on this team than there has been in years but that doesn't mean we have a talented team yet, can't afford to miss on adding talent like that. So yeah, completely agree with what you're saying

As the 2nd posted stated we need an impact player. Drafting a tackle to me doesn't do that as we have what looks to be a very good LT in Glenn and RT isn't terrible by no means prior to injury. Assuming the Bills resign AL, you don't need five all-pros on the line. In fact getting five all-pros on O-line likely is at the loss of improving another position line LB. Put that much effort on O-line and other areas will suffer.

Here's one question I'd throw out, someone else posted this a couple weeks back, if you could get a 1st and 2nd rounder for CJ Spiller, would you trade him? CJ likely is one of the top five most exciting offense players in the league and I do think with better coaching and usage, will even be better, but seeing the RB from the Redskins, believe he was 5th round pick run for 1500 yards does somewhat prove that RB is one of the easiest positions to find talent in the draft and the one area rookies can quickly adapt to and excel. I'm not sold on it either way, making the trade or not and wouldn't be upset either way either.

As the 2nd posted stated we need an impact player. Drafting a tackle to me doesn't do that as we have what looks to be a very good LT in Glenn and RT isn't terrible by no means prior to injury. Assuming the Bills resign AL, you don't need five all-pros on the line. In fact getting five all-pros on O-line likely is at the loss of improving another position line LB. Put that much effort on O-line and other areas will suffer.

Here's one question I'd throw out, someone else posted this a couple weeks back, if you could get a 1st and 2nd rounder for CJ Spiller, would you trade him? CJ likely is one of the top five most exciting offense players in the league and I do think with better coaching and usage, will even be better, but seeing the RB from the Redskins, believe he was 5th round pick run for 1500 yards does somewhat prove that RB is one of the easiest positions to find talent in the draft and the one area rookies can quickly adapt to and excel. I'm not sold on it either way, making the trade or not and wouldn't be upset either way either.

I would trade Spiller for a 1st and a 2nd in a heartbeat. There's no one irreplaceable on this team (yet). Plus, the right line can make any RB look good.

I agree with the OP, Nix's has stated that his belief is to stick to their board and take the best players available. now if one happens to be at a position of need, then that's a bonus. Free agency is where you fill your area of need position wise...I'm somewhat in agreement with they're stance but it is, what it is. I for one don't want to reach for a QB at #8 if they value him "not 1 st rd" potential. Taking a QB for the sake of need doesn't help the offense if they don't rank him with having starting potential. If an OT is the best value there snatch 'em, this helps the offense as a whole. I'm in the belief of Parcell's build from the middle out and everyone else is J.A.G until these lines are dominant.

I would trade Spiller for a 1st and a 2nd in a heartbeat. There's no one irreplaceable on this team (yet). Plus, the right line can make any RB look good.

Any 1st rounder? The #32 pick?

This :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Spiller is one of the most dynamic players in the league. Why would you want to trade him if we ourselves can have better coaches to make use of his talent.

As a poster on this board I've read many directions the Bills should take with the 8th pick in the draft from taking a QB/LB to moving back to acquire more picks. I like moving back with one exception, that if at 8 one of the blue chip OTs are sitting there(Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan). Providing we resign Levitre, with one of those boys lined up at tackle opposite Cordy Glenn the Bills could have one of the most dominant Olines since the 90s Cowboys teams. They can bring in a vet QB and still draft one in rd 2. Thoughts?

Never thought I would be saying this, but the Bills are strong at OT. Otoh, if they lose Levitre (likely imo), OG will not be as strong.

That said, Chance Warmack is the best guard I have seen coming out of college since Steve Hutchinson. The man is an agile monster, who plays LG in a pro-style offense.

I still hope that they find a qb who they deem worthy of the #8. If not, they could more than likely move back a few spots and grab Warmack, who has the potential to be truly great. What do I think they will do? Yep, Dee Milliner. :wallbash:

My main concern with drafting Milner in the first(or any cb for that matter at 8) is that our secondary is soooo young as it is. Putting another rookie out there may not be a good idea. Gilmore, Brooks, Rogers and Williams are going to be learning another scheme as it is, I don't want a rookie out there too. Draft a Cb in later rounds and sign a CB with some experience in the scheme we will be running.

I figured this would be kind of fun to see what you guys think we should do, or what you would like to see us do.

I personally would like to see us trade back into a later spot in the first, maybe into the teens. Then trade back again into the 20's to pickup a 2nd pick this round select Justin Hunter out of Tennessee. Big physical wideout was coming off an acl injury, and took a little time to get going again. He is the real deal though, I saw him play in high school as well.

With our second 1st rd pick take Nassib. QB and Wideout of the future done.

Early second take the best available LB whether he be inside or outside

Next pick take the best available LB.

To note when I say best available I mean fits your system the best. Alla NE.

Give me your ideas, and no one is right or wrong here, because we don't get paid.

Go Bills!!!

I'd like to trade back also, but I don't see anyone who would want the 8th spot. I want to draft Alec Ogletree in the first. I think he is a better LB then Te'o. Then take Nassib, Jones, Boyd (if he goes pro) in the 2nd. I want a WR also somewhere in the draft or bring in a FA.

Now heres my honest question, what if the Bills have Milliner as thier top rated player, and take him at number 8. How do you all react?

If that's who they deem the best player at #8 and have a 1st rd rating. Its important that they draft guys that can play in the league and NOT by position...what good is it to draft a position if he's not gonna make it in the league let alone start for your team. I'll go on record at #8 I'm for LB, OL ...it takes two to tangle so moving back may not be an option. Plus Nix has stated that he doesn't like moving out of their spot but if he can move down then I'll add QB to the equation.