What should the Bills do at #8?

Barkevious Mingo is the most awesome name I think I have ever heard in my life. I don't care how good he is, I want him on our team.

"Mingo the Merciless"...

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay put at #8 and take the best graded QB regardless of reach. Jets pick at #9 and are as desperate as we are for a legit QB. If we trade down we run the risk of missing out on the guy we want.

QBs are always drafted higher than they are rated.....therefore, unless you get pick #1 and are lucky enough to get a Manning or Luck that year, you will always have to reach for your wanted QB in the draft. This is our year to have to reach.

Stay put at #8 and take the best graded QB regardless of reach. Jets pick at #9 and are as desperate as we are for a legit QB. If we trade down we run the risk of missing out on the guy we want.

QBs are always drafted higher than they are rated.....therefore, unless you get pick #1 and are lucky enough to get a Manning or Luck that year, you will always have to reach for your wanted QB in the draft. This is our year to have to reach.

I agree with this. The Bills can not afford to fear a pick being labeled as a "reach" -- if they like ANY QB in the draft well enough to believe he could be "the guy" for 10 years, make the move at #8.

As always, I prefer the BPA weighted to positional importance. Not positional need of our current team, but positional importance. If there is a QB we really like and think can be our QB over the next 5+ years, then I have no problem picking him at #8. If you don't like a QB enough to trade your #8 for a #40 (what you are doing if you grab him in round 1 instead of round 2), than it is unlikely you really think he is likely to be the guy.

I would love to see the draft shape up that we get a great WR or LB of QB as BPA at #8, and I also think it is fine to draft a QB at #40 if you think he is the guy, but his perceived value by the rest of the league, or development time means he will really be there and there is also someone you like more at #8 anyway.

But as eball said, if there is a QB who they think is the guy, they should not pass on him at #8 hoping to catch him later. There is a poker game on maximizing value relative to the expected selections of others which includes passing on players for a round, and trading down or trading back into the first. That doesn't make any sense for us if there is a guy we think can wil be our QB and there is a chance he would be gone if we overplay our hand.

Grab the best linebacker at #8, trade up to late first and grad the QB.. . Get a CB and WR in free agency, restructure fitz and sign Byrd and Andy. Cut brad smith, TJ and Thigpen..from there you have a good #2 QB, and a foundation.. We need LB's bad, and it shows..Once they get past the front 4 the RB's are into the secondary, and out LB's can't cover.. Heck we might even want to get rid of Barnett and get another one in free agency if there is one better out there..

http://youtu.be/Q6PI0L7-xnk

While I fully expect Nassib to be our QB pick at this point, let's not forget to discuss the other possiblities. I've seen numerous mocks having us take Wilson at #8. This is really the only game I've watched closely on him and here are my thoughts based on this game only.

1. Excellent short throw accuracy - receivers are always hit in stride with the ability to get YAC.

2. Above average medium accuracy - missed a few, but hit on a lot

3. Deep ball? Not too many deep ball throws. Severely underthrew an open receiver on a very difficult throw on the run (resulting in a pick), but threw a nice TD pass down the field.

4. Receivers dropped a lot of passes (was this a trend for them during the whole season?)

5. Good footwork

6. Good pocket presence, got rid of it quick when necessary, tucked it when necessary

7. Tough - took a couple big time hits and hung in on them

8. Above average speed

The most impressive throw, to me, came at 14:40. Threw from an awkward position and threw an abosolute dart 30 yards down the field between two defenders. Shows nice arm strength.

It would also be nice to not see the agrument that he can't play in the cold weather. Just because he played in the south, doesn't mean he can't play in the cold.

Edited by Mark80

I like Tyler Wilson & if Geno Smith or Matt Barkley are gone, you gotta pick him, I like Nassib too but Wilson is the better choice

I agree, people will use the argument that he can't play in the cold weather, well Brett Favre played at Mississippi State & didn't hurt him in Green Bay, I like this group of QB they are semi projects but the Bills are taking chance right now, I say take a chance on Wilson

I'm sorry Mark. I haven't seen alot of Tyler Wilson this year but did watch the concentrated version that you posted from YouTube (10 minutes worth) and I see him a little differently:

Accuracy with dump off passes and 5 yd crossing routes. Sometimes the receiver gets YAC and sometimes he doesn't. Fitz can do that. But having the ability to throw a 5 yd crossing route or dump off pass defeats the purpose of our search for a QB who can throw downfield consistently

Multiple longer throws (20 yds) that were significantly off target...I mean not even close (Fitz can do that)

Average speed...not above average. He has Fitz speed.

Footwork was all over the place and he has a weird throwing motion and throws off his back foot alot (not just when he is being pressured).

Alot like Fitz.

Once again, I realize this Draft is shallow with QB talent, but if we are to grab a QB at #8, I want to see someone completely different from Fitz...I just don't see it with this kid. We might just as well stick with a Linebacker or WR with the first pick.

Again, I am not a college scout or a QB coach...just my basic observations. I respect your opinion...just differ on your interpretation of his skills for what we need in Buffalo.

Edited by BringBackFergy

http://youtu.be/Q6PI0L7-xnk

While I fully expect Nassib to be our QB pick at this point, let's not forget to discuss the other possiblities. I've seen numerous mocks having us take Wilson at #8. This is really the only game I've watched closely on him and here are my thoughts based on this game only.

1. Excellent short throw accuracy - receivers are always hit in stride with the ability to get YAC.

2. Above average medium accuracy - missed a few, but hit on a lot

3. Deep ball? Not too many deep ball throws. Severely underthrew an open receiver on a very difficult throw on the run (resulting in a pick), but threw a nice TD pass down the field.

4. Receivers dropped a lot of passes (was this a trend for them during the whole season?)

5. Good footwork

6. Good pocket presence, got rid of it quick when necessary, tucked it when necessary

7. Tough - took a couple big time hits and hung in on them

8. Above average speed

The most impressive throw, to me, came at 14:40. Threw from an awkward position and threw an abosolute dart 30 yards down the field between two defenders. Shows nice arm strength.

It would also be nice to not see the agrument that he can't play in the cold weather. Just because he played in the south, doesn't mean he can't play in the cold.

Actually Jim Kelly played in Miami and Houston, and I think Bart Starr played at Alabama. Joe Ferguson played at Arkansas, and Terry Bradshaw played in Louisiana. I'm not all that concerned that a guy comes from the south.

I'm sorry Mark. I haven't seen alot of Tyler Wilson this year but did watch the concentrated version that you posted from YouTube (10 minutes worth) and I see him a little differently:

Accuracy with dump off passes and 5 yd crossing routes. Sometimes the receiver gets YAC and sometimes he doesn't. Fitz can do that.

Multiple longer throws (20 yds) that were significantly off target...I mean not even close (Fitz can do that)

Average speed...not above average. He has Fitz speed.

Footwork was all over the place and he has a weird throwing motion and throws off his back foot alot (not just when he is being pressured).

Alot like Fitz.

Once again, I realize this Draft is shallow with QB talent, but if we are to grab a QB at #8, I want to see someone completely different from Fitz...I just don't see it with this kid. We might just as well stick with a Linebacker or WR with the first pick.

Don't mistake this post as me lobbying to get him, just wanted a discussion on him. You have to realize that NO QB is going to hit every throw, especially college QBs. With that being said, I think he looks way better than Fitz. Fitz's short throws very often force a receiver to jump, stop in the route, or reach behind him, there is basically none of that here. On the medium throws, most of them were right on target (with about 4 of them dropped by receivers). Some were missed, yes, but like I said, not everyone hits every pass.

I thought his footwork was very solid. Not nearly as awkward as Nassib, some off balance throws though for sure.

I do agree that his throwing motion is a bit awkward, but the release is quick (maybe a little low though a la Rivers).

I think that Fitz has above average speed for a QB so we may just see things differently there.

He's got a good arm, quick release and makes quick decisions. The deep ball accuracy is the question. Sounds a lot like...Fitz. He also had great receivers to throw to the last two seasons (Childs, J.Wright, J.Adams, C.Hamilton).

He's definitely one of the best 10 QBs available in the draft but where he ends up will depend the next few months. That's really the case for most of the QBs this year.

I like what I saw in that second video. He seemed pretty accurate on the deep balls to me.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with what you said, but one thing all of us should keep in mind when doing our own evaluations of quarterbacks is whether the video we are watching is a highlight video (like the 2nd one) or a pure "every snap in a game" video (like the first one). Highlight videos can make anyone look good when you cherry pick.

Personally, I really like seeing the videos of Nassib, Wilson, etc. where you can see everything they did in an entire game. It gives you a chance to see what they do in specific situations, which I believe to be valuable.