What should the Bills do at #8?

We could do worse than Milliner. coupled with Gilmore it give Pettine two talented CB's he can rely on like he had in New York allowing him to send some blitzes. I would not be upset with that pick.

Yup - this - as badly as they need LB and obviously QB help, Milner is a beast and Pettine's defense puts a lot of pressure on the CB's.

Having said that, I would probably rather get help at LB and give Brooks or Rodgers another year to show me something - or heck, re-sign McKelvin and let him try to step up again. After next year, if they are still hurting for a CB there will be someone worth getting.

Edited by BobChalmers

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres what I'm thinkin and its probably been said already.

-Trade down with San Fran. Acquire Alex Smith. Give San Fran the #8 pick, and we get Alex and their 1st rounder (maybe #28-32 somewhere?)

-Draft the best QB available based on skills assessment with that later 1st round pick from San Fran.

-Alex, love em or hate em is an upgrade from what we have now.

- Let the rookie develop behind Alex for a year or two, or start if he beats him out in pre-season.

I dont know if San Fran would go for such a deal but if they did it'd be pretty cool I'm thinking.

jb

Heres what I'm thinkin and its probably been said already.

-Trade down with San Fran. Acquire Alex Smith. Give San Fran the #8 pick, and we get Alex and their 1st rounder (maybe #28-32 somewhere?)

-Draft the best QB available based on skills assessment with that later 1st round pick from San Fran.

-Alex, love em or hate em is an upgrade from what we have now.

- Let the rookie develop behind Alex for a year or two, or start if he beats him out in pre-season.

I dont know if San Fran would go for such a deal but if they did it'd be pretty cool I'm thinking.

jb

no thanks.. We're going to trade down to around #28 from #8 to obtain this?

Alex Smith's best season (2011): 273/445; 90.7 rating; 61.3%; 3,144yds; 17td, 5int

Fitzpatrick this season: 306/505; 83.3 rating; 60.6%; 3,400yds; 24td; 16int

The main difference between the two? We didn't have a top 5 defense and a genius coach who puts his QB in a position to succeed.

Lets keep the 8th pick.

Edited by bobobonators

Unless they make a trade for a starting QB between now and draft day, I will be completely shocked if they do not stay put at 8 and select the top remaining QB on their board. I'm not saying that this is the correct move, I'm saying that this is what I think the Bills will do. I think it is a virtual certainty that pick #8 in the draft will be taken by Buffalo and will be a QB. I could be wrong, it's happened before.

Is Mantei Te'o going to fix our run D? I hear that his specialty.

Heisman Trophy Runner-Up (2012)

Lott Trophy (2012)

Maxwell Award (2012)

Chuck Bednarik Award (2012)

Walter Camp Award (2012)

Bronko Nagurski Trophy (2012)

Butkus Award (2012)

Lombardi Award (2012)

ARA Sportsmanship Award (2012)[1]

Unanimous First Team All-American (2012)

Capital One First Team Academic All-American (2012)

FBS Independent Defensive Player of the Year (2011)

Consensus Second Team All-American (2011)

Capital One Second Team Academic All-American (2011)

CNNSI Second Team All-American (2010)

CFN Freshman All-American (2009)

Rivals.com Second Team Freshman All-American (2009)

High school awards and honors

Stats at ESPN.com

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

no thanks.. We're going to trade down to around #28 from #8 to obtain this?

Alex Smith's best season (2011): 273/445; 90.7 rating; 61.3%; 3,144yds; 17td, 5int

Fitzpatrick this season: 306/505; 83.3 rating; 60.6%; 3,400yds; 24td; 16int

The main difference between the two? We didn't have a top 5 defense and a genius coach who puts his QB in a position to succeed.

Lets keep the 8th pick.

Thats reasonable. What I'm thinking is "if" the Bills decide to draft a QB round one, there "probably" wont be a big difference in quality between #8 and whatever San Frans' pick is. This year's crop is looking kind of average....I think ! I dunno, maybe its a dumb idea. Been wrong before, will be again too. And again, I'm not certain San Fran would buy into this anyway. Whatever the case, I really look forward to the moves waiting to be made by our new regime.

jb (newbie)

ps....great Bills forum here.

thats how i feel too

Nassib looks as green if not more so than Levi brown coming out. And no way Levi goes top 10. At first I reacted to the marrone hiring thinking he'd grab nassib rd1, but reviewing other situations where college coaches went to pro theres no dominant tendency for them to pursue their college QB(s). I think rational decision making prevails here and we're safe he's not the pick at 8

Thats reasonable. What I'm thinking is "if" the Bills decide to draft a QB round one, there "probably" wont be a big difference in quality between #8 and whatever San Frans' pick is. This year's crop is looking kind of average....I think ! I dunno, maybe its a dumb idea. Been wrong before, will be again too. And again, I'm not certain San Fran would buy into this anyway. Whatever the case, I really look forward to the moves waiting to be made by our new regime.

jb (newbie)

ps....great Bills forum here.

The thought of trading for alex smith certainly isn't unreasonable.

I just view it this way: the 49ers are starting their 2nd/3rd round QB (don't remember now what round) over Alex Smith. So the thought of us giving them our 8th pick for their backup qb isn't a good one IMO.

I'd maybe consider giving them a 2nd round pick and another conditional pick depending on smiths perfromance. I'd be in favor of that.

Buddy's out of the picture now. Just a figurehead to help smooth transition process. He's not a decision maker, we saw that in the new HC search, which wouldn't have gone down that way if buddy were in control. Heck gailey might still even be here.

For insight into what we might or might not do, better to focus on Brandon and the new hires. Although i don't necessarily see a lot of trading around (because most picks aren't traded), with how aggressive they were lining up a coach and the focus on analytics to spot value, I'd say there's a greater chance this year.

Pro Football weekly said today, "One of Pettine’s orders of business will be analyzing the LB position, a position with some question marks. Some of Pettine’s former ’backers in New York,Calvin Pace and Bart Scott, could become available as potential cap casualties. MLB Kelvin Sheppard was a player we heard that internally, the Bills had high hopes for, but who did not live up to expectations in 2012, considering the struggles of the run defense. Pettine will be evaluating how Sheppard, WLBNick Barnett and SLB Nigel Bradham would fit into his system."

Up to now, I was bypassing the OLB34's and rush DE's when looking for likely RD1#8 players. Now I'm wondering if we DO go rushbacker in the first----Jarvis Jones (if he falls), Damontre Moore, Mingo. And Dion Jordan.

Edited by Astrobot