Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet completely true.

He's in Eugene Oregon right now. You can't honestly believe that moving to Buffalo is high on his list. Cleveland at least has some national attractions, a lively theatre and arts center. Buffalo has football and no hockey and a bunch of abandoned warehouses.

The difference in quality between the theatre and arts communities of Cleveland and Buffalo is arguable at best, but what's not likely arguable is that it figured into Chip Kelly's decision in any way whatsoever. Perhaps if he chose San Diego or Miami.

There are several reasons for him to choose Cleveland--- serving as a coverup to your cheap shot isn't one of them.

And as we know it's positively nuts to hand personnel control to a head coach. The success rates can't be much better than they are for a HC who is calling plays. And Kelly will be doing that, too. If that's a condition for Chip, I'll pass. I understand the desire for a coach to shape his roster, but there is so much work to be done that one man can't possibly fill all three roles.

Kelly is not going to become Cleveland's GM, but you can bet that the GM they hire will have a strong working relationship with Kelly and will buy into his philosophy. In Buffalo, you've got Buddy, who can't figure out that QB is an important position in today's NFL. I'm sure that is a major factor for Kelly.

Why the !@#$ are the Browns a hotter commodity for this guy than the Bills?

Don't get it myself. I mean, RIchardson is nice, but I'd rather have Spiller?

Brandon Weeden? Meh.

Josh Gordon? Meh.

Nice stadium, though.

http://www.nfl.com/n...leveland-browns

Thank God, I was starting to worry that he might end up with the Bills.

Like that the guy plays to win but, dont think the risk is worth the reward:

• no NFL coaching/playing experience (i.e. Harbaugh, Carroll)
  • Oregon (aka "Nike U") can recruit like crazy. Granted, Kelly's offense has a lot to do with that but in the NFL you cant just cherry-pick top talent, its a much more level playing field.
  • His recruiting focuses on athletes who have crazy speed and maybe were overlooked by other schools. It's true you cant teach speed, but the NFL is a much faster game, just getting to the outside and out running everyone wont cut it.
  • There schedule hasnt been that strong the last couple of years. I think they only beat like 3-4 ranked teams.
  • I know he openly said he would contour his offense based on the personnel he has, but without actually seeing him have previous success in a more traditional offense, i would think its too much of a gamble.
  • Not saying he is a bad coach, just hard to trust him b/c he's only been a D1 HC for 4 years.

Edited by MURTR

Kelly is not going to become Cleveland's GM, but you can bet that the GM they hire will have a strong working relationship with Kelly and will buy into his philosophy. In Buffalo, you've got Buddy, who can't figure out that QB is an important position in today's NFL. I'm sure that is a major factor for Kelly.

Mike Lombardi may work as the Browns Personnel Guy with Chip Kelly.

Brandon Weeden? Meh.

Josh Gordon? Meh.

Nice stadium, though.

Maybe the Browns are aggressively going after him and the Bills are going through the motions.

Buzz is that he wanted control of football operations. Bills are not interested to give the reins to an unproven commodity. Seems that the new tend is for coaches to have more power than the GM. GM take care of the nuts and bolts of running the teams while these coaches have control over personnel.

Looks like Buffalo is going to end up with the leftovers. What's progressive about Smith or Whisenhunt? I would go more for Arians, Jay Gruden, or Bevell? They have proven they can develop a young QB.

Sure, Whisenhunt developed Big Ben, but their original intention was to have him ride pine for a year. An injury to Maddox caused Big Ben to come alive. And what has Whisenhunt done with the QB situation in Arizona? A complete joke. In fact, the Bills and Whisenhunt deserve each other.

It's about time folks like you made yourselves heard.

Brandon Weeden? Meh.

Josh Gordon? Meh.

Nice stadium, though.

Fitz? Meh.

Stevie? Meh.

Still unstable ownership? Yup. Still potential question marks about front office structure? Yup. We're not without warts either.

Could be a dollar gap. Could be a power within the organization gap. Could be trusting banner - could be that banner has been working this behind the scenes for months.

No ones saying were diseased, were just not the hot choice for this guy right now.

Im actually happy for the Browns because I feel there's a kindred spirit between our two sad-sack franchises, but.....

If a running attack and OL are your MO and necessary for success, than what do the Browns offer that the Bill's can't? Our OL is custom tailored towards Chip's O. Fast. mobile, mean, tough, young, ang go figure...talented.

If your Chip, do you want a super talented banger/between the tackle RB that is going to see his lifespan shortened due to his running style? Or do you want a freaking superfast budding superstar that will be a stud for the next 5 years?

WTF?

Looks like the Bills never had a shot as many NFL insiders were reporting:

@MaryKayCabot #Browns were Chip Kelly's 1st interview. Never even talked to #Bills. Kelly had to have chosen Browns long ago

I think (and have mentioned a suspicion) banner may have been on this since October if it was his guy. When he came in, you knew he would be looking for "his guys"

I think (and have mentioned a suspicion) banner may have been on this since October if it was his guy. When he came in, you knew he would be looking for "his guys"

I heard Peter King say that on PFT today. Browns had the inside track all along.

Same way lots of deals get worked out for Free Agents via back channel discussions well before the period opens up officially.

Bills were simply late to the party.

Risk? What "risk" exists within the Bills organization?

We are as lifeless as any organization in N.American pro sports.

When you are at the bottom, all you can do is improve, and there is very little to risk, as there is nothing to lose.

Pittsburgh, the Giants, New England, San Fran....these are organizations who should fear a risk as they have a lot to lose.

I have to laugh at this "risky" mentality among Bills fans! Hilarious.

Im actually happy for the Browns because I feel there's a kindred spirit between our two sad-sack franchises, but.....

If a running attack and OL are your MO and necessary for success, than what do the Browns offer that the Bill's can't? Our OL is custom tailored towards Chip's O. Fast. mobile, mean, tough, young, ang go figure...talented.

If your Chip, do you want a super talented banger/between the tackle RB that is going to see his lifespan shortened due to his running style? Or do you want a freaking superfast budding superstar that will be a stud for the next 5 years?

WTF?

Maybe he's more worried about the front office he's staking his career to than a handful of players that can be turned over in a year?

I heard Peter King say that on PFT today. Browns had the inside track all along.

Same way lots of deals get worked out for Free Agents via back channel discussions well before the period opens up officially.

Bills were simply late to the party.

It makes sense. With new ownership, new management - they could chase the new coach in October.

The thread as a whole has a certain vibe of walking into a bar and seeing the ex with their next and thinking "wait.... you broke up with me for THAT?" When truth be told its kinda 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other and they just like what they like for whatever reason and its not you.

Everyone is acting like we just missed out on the next Bill Belichick. Get over it. He's just another college coach who is "hot" right now just as Petrino and Saban were at the time of their NFL hirings. How did they work out? He may be a great coach, but he just may be a flop as well. I'd rather have a proven winner from the NFL and not the latest potential bust of a hot commodity from the NCAA.

Maybe he's more worried about the front office he's staking his career to than a handful of players that can be turned over in a year?

It makes sense. With new ownership, new management - they could chase the new coach in October.

The thread as a whole has a certain vibe of walking into a bar and seeing the ex with their next and thinking "wait.... you broke up with me for THAT?" When truth be told its kinda 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other and they just like what they like for whatever reason and its not you.

I hear ya. I just think in a win now league, we offer a better chance to win now believe it or not.

No, we do not offer a more stable ownership situation than the Browns. But I also don't think we're as bad as many point us out to be. Can't remember who mentioned it on twitter (NFL Net Guy), but he pointed out how much more attractive we were league-wide due to the Brandon shift.

I'm a dreamer No Saint

Edited by stony

I won't change my tune like many do when we miss out on a candidate. I would have loved to have hired Chip.

That being said, I am honestly floored that he chose the Browns. I expected him to go to a more "glamorous" team. Buffalo has a better roster and is a nicer town. Have you guys been to both cities?

I guess now my list goes: (a) McCoy (b) Lovie

I won't change my tune like many do when we miss out on a candidate. I would have loved to have hired Chip.

That being said, I am honestly floored that he chose the Browns. I expected him to go to a more "glamorous" team. Buffalo has a better roster and is a nicer town. Have you guys been to both cities?

I guess now my list goes: (a) McCoy (b) Lovie

Cleveland looks like NYC compared to Buffalo.

He's black, didn't you know that? Meets the Rooney Rule.

BTW, in a now-closed thread you said:

"You mean like Jimmy Johnson? Or Barry Switzer? Or Sam Wyche? Or Bud Grant?"

This was in the discussion of how Chip Kelly had never played or coached in the NFL at any level.

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer were brought up by other posters.

You offered Sam Wyche and Bud Grant.

Sam Wyche was an NFL player for 9 years. He was an NFL assistant under Bill Walsh for 4 years. All before being named as the Bengals Head Coach.

Bud Grant, besides playing in the NBA for two years (and winning an NBA Championship for the Lakers), played in the NFL for the Philadelphia Eagles for 2 years. He then played football professionally in the CFL for 4 years. Grant then coached in the CFL and led the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to 4 CFL Championships.

Not sure where you're getting your information from but it's wrong.

Nobody in here is shocked by this. This is just what we expected. We are destined to end up with Whisenhunt. If you guys get your heads out of the clouds it's pretty obvious. Same old bills

Thanks, Eeyore.

we just missed out on the next mediocre surly cheating hack that lucked into a magic marcia?

Reading the recent posts in this thread is interesting. Bills fans feeling left at the altar because one of the hotest coaching prospects in years, decides and rightfully so to not touch a gig in Buffalo. Just like others did when Gailey became coach. How did that work out? Now forward to 2013 and How do the fans react? They trash the dude with lies and innenuando. Classy Bill fans as usual. Cheating hack? really meathead? Please post a link? Thanks! Keep the faith maybe Marty ball will rule the day soon in B-Lo

Does anyone thinking that a marketing guy being handed the keys in Buffalo changes absolutely anything? Do you think coaching prospects buy into it because Russ Brandon says so? Funny stuff.