Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

Yeah - it means the Bills' opening is an attractive one. They really are not that many players away anymore. 1 QB, 2 LB's, maybe another WR and CB - at that point you'd be hard-pressed to come up with things to really improve. Their record is skewed by how important the LB and QB positions are - but they are still just a few roster spots to fill, and coaches know it.

I'd also combine that with the fact that there has been ZERO interest in Gailey or his staff. That tells me the rest of the league perceives that the problem in Buffalo was more about the coaching than the players.

Wow you're right. Nice catch. With all the recently fired coaches getting looks there hasn't been a peep about Gailey, Wanny or anyone.

PTR

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - it means the Bills' opening is an attractive one. They really are not that many players away anymore. 1 QB, 2 LB's, maybe another WR and CB - at that point you'd be hard-pressed to come up with things to really improve. Their record is skewed by how important the LB and QB positions are - but they are still just a few roster spots to fill, and coaches know it.

I'd also combine that with the fact that there has been ZERO interest in Gailey or his staff. That tells me the rest of the league perceives that the problem in Buffalo was more about the coaching than the players.

I'm not hearing anything about a bunch of Coaches that were let go Monday...Smith and Whisenhunt have been to Super Bowls as Head Coaches...Otherwise you would not hear their names either...I do agree that The Bills job is more attractive than some due to the overall talent...But is that really saying as much about The Bills talent, or is it equally because of the lack of talent on these other teams overall?

I do realize that Russ and Buddy, through their actions so far, are hard selling the fact that The Bills woes were mainly due to Coaching ineptitude...I'm just not buying it the way some are...15 Draft Picks in in 3 years on Defense, 12 still on the 2012 Roster, and the best they could do is historically bad? No way that's ALL Coaching...No way...Partly Coaching? No question...But Buddy was equally responsible...And he's going to be running the 2013 Draft so...Good luck Bills fans...They better get the next Belichick if Buddy stays around... B-)

I'm not hearing anything about a bunch of Coaches that were let go Monday...Smith and Whisenhunt have been to Super Bowls as Head Coaches...Otherwise you would not hear their names either...I do agree that The Bills job is more attractive than some due to the overall talent...But is that really saying as much about The Bills talent, or is it equally because of the lack of talent on these other teams overall?

I do realize that Russ and Buddy, through their actions so far, are hard selling the fact that The Bills woes were mainly due to Coaching ineptitude...I'm just not buying it the way some are...15 Draft Picks in in 3 years on Defense, 12 still on the 2012 Roster, and the best they could do is historically bad? No way that's ALL Coaching...No way...Partly Coaching? No question...But Buddy was equally responsible...And he's going to be running the 2013 Draft so...Good luck Bills fans...They better get the next Belichick if Buddy stays around... B-)

well, smith won 10 games this year, and is 29-19 in the regular season in his last 3 years including an nfc championship game appearance.... so im guessing its not just the super bowl 6-7 years ago.

Wow you're right. Nice catch. With all the recently fired coaches getting looks there hasn't been a peep about Gailey, Wanny or anyone.

PTR

Of course not. No one else but Buffalo was interested 3 years ago. They failed miserably in Buffalo. One of the teams would have to be incredibly desperate to bother even talking to either one of them.

I am a little surprised though that Jerrah isn't talking to Gailey to try and correct his biggest mistake ever ;)

Wannstredt's performance against the read option/pistol hybrid that seattle runs (and which miami exploited against the bills) suggests to me that the game has passed him by. The defense he ran looked silly and pathetic.

Unfortunately, this fact has led many to place most of the blame on Buddy's draft choices rather than the way in which those players have been coached. I'd love to see these players with a competent DC creating the schemes.

I will not be surprised, though, if gailey gets a job as an OC with a solid team. He's a smart offensive mind who simply lacked a top shelf qb.

I agree with this, although Chan still has to find a way to answer the question, "what the hell were you doing with Spiller?"

well, smith won 10 games this year, and is 29-19 in the regular season in his last 3 years including an nfc championship game appearance.... so im guessing its not just the super bowl 6-7 years ago.

Whatever...OK...That's really far from the point of my post...I was responding to a post that was basically saying that because the Bills Coaches were not being mentioned for open Coaching Positions right now that meant the rest of the NFL was of the belief that The Bills problems were mainly Coaching not talent...And I'm not saying Coaching was not a problem...I'm just saying it was not all of the problem...The talent Buddy brought in was a big part of it too...That's all... B-)

I think the Bills have a great opportunity with Kelly today. He has stated that he wants to make his decision "fast." The Bills are the first team in and they have previously indicated that they will pursue Kelly "hard."

Couple that with Russ Brandon's open commitment to analytics and there just might be a chance for a home run today.

If I was Russ I would tell Kelly 3 things - 1.) We want to be the standard bearer for analytic football and will give you wide range to establish it to your liking on the NFL level, 2.) We have the 8th pick in the draft and you can use that (either in keeping it or trading it) to get the QB you need to make your offense click and 3.) You have an opportunity here to knock NE and Belichick off of their decade + long perch and become a demigod to Buffalo fans.

Also, I am working under the assumption that there is a succession plan in place and Russ would intimate that to all of the coaching candidates, thus defusing any concerns about franchise instability.

Russ and Whaley need to take the lead here and play the youth card with Kelly. Keep Buddy in the background with his piehole zipped. If they can pull it off things could get really exciting around here really fast.

Get 'er done, Russ.

So, what's the general consensus -- do we think it's better to be the first team to interview a candidate or the last?

I say the first if it is truly the guy that you want. Don't let him leave your sight without a signed contract.

Sorry, there is NO WAY I want a guy as the next HC of the Bills, who has never coached a single minute at any level of the NFL game. Just dealing with the players, there is a huge difference with coaching 17-22 year olds, and primadonna 22-40 year olds. IMO...It would be a disaster.

Sorry, there is NO WAY I want a guy as the next HC of the Bills, who has never coached a single minute at any level of the NFL game. Just dealing with the players, there is a huge difference with coaching 17-22 year olds, and primadonna 22-40 year olds. IMO...It would be a disaster.

That's old school thinking. We got a young group of guys here. I think he'd get through to them. The only problem and this is a HUGE issue, is the Quarterback. We need a big arm Franchise QB. I don't care who the HC is, if you don't have that player here, We'll never win in this day in age of the NFL...

I think the Bills have a great opportunity with Kelly today. He has stated that he wants to make his decision "fast." The Bills are the first team in and they have previously indicated that they will pursue Kelly "hard."

Couple that with Russ Brandon's open commitment to analytics and there just might be a chance for a home run today.

If I was Russ I would tell Kelly 3 things - 1.) We want to be the standard bearer for analytic football and will give you wide range to establish it to your liking on the NFL level, 2.) We have the 8th pick in the draft and you can use that (either in keeping it or trading it) to get the QB you need to make your offense click and 3.) You have an opportunity here to knock NE and Belichick off of their decade + long perch and become a demigod to Buffalo fans.

Also, I am working under the assumption that there is a succession plan in place and Russ would intimate that to all of the coaching candidates, thus defusing any concerns about franchise instability.

Russ and Whaley need to take the lead here and play the youth card with Kelly. Keep Buddy in the background with his piehole zipped. If they can pull it off things could get really exciting around here really fast.

Get 'er done, Russ.

:thumbsup:

That's old school thinking. We got a young group of guys here. I think he'd get through to them. The only problem and this is a HUGE issue, is the Quarterback. We need a big arm Franchise QB. I don't care who the HC is, if you don't have that player here, We'll never win in this day in age of the NFL...

its also a bit exaggerated by the poster... how many 40 year olds is anyone coaching? how many 35 years old are even on any given roster?

the majority of any team he takes over, outside a very few, will be young guys.

Get 'er done, Russ.

You forgot one:

4) Have you seen #28 play?