Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

This is an amazing opportunity and I'm excited it's even a possibility. A week ago it would not have been. Some people really need to screw that fact into their brains.

Also, consider the Bills' competitors here. Cleveland has no talent on its roster at all, so Kelly would have to sign up for a total rebuild. Philly has talent, sure, but it has an aging defense and a very weak offensive line. Plus in Philly you have a very difficult fanbase and a somewhat difficult FO dynamic (Lurie is very loyal to Roseman, who has a questionable reputation when it comes to player personnel skills). Sure, Kelly could always opt to stay at Oregon. But the Bills will make a hard sell and finally have the roster and the FO structure to get it done.

Just think, we never would've thought that Mario would entertain the thought of coming here. Brandon had a lot to do with getting that done. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Do I think Kelly will succeed? I have no idea. But even if he doesn't, it sure would be fun to root for a team that thinks outside the box for a change.

Totally agree. If I had to guess, I think he goes to Philly. According to a few people I trust who are pretty wired in, Kelly has an enormous ego, and maybe Buffalo isn't the right place to stake his claim. The ego part I very much believe and have heard it elsewhere. The not Buffalo part I am not so sure of. Cleveland isn't any better. Philly is a much bigger city and stage, but it also comes with other problems. All in all, I would say there isn't a clear cut better option for him, all three cities and franchises offer unique advantages and disadvantages. I still give us less than a 50-50 chance though.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree. If I had to guess, I think he goes to Philly. According to a few people I trust who are pretty wired in, Kelly has an enormous ego, and maybe Buffalo isn't the right place to stake his claim. The ego part I very much believe and have heard it elsewhere. The not Buffalo part I am not so sure of. Cleveland isn't any better. Philly is a much bigger city and stage, but it also comes with other problems. All in all, I would say there isn't a clear cut better option for him, all three cities and franchises offer unique advantages and disadvantages. I still give us less than a 50-50 chance though.

Agree that Philly is the likeliest landing spot for him. But then I heard a report today that he's not at the top of their list, who knows if it's true or not or just posturing on their part. Philly is a tough place to coach, but Buffalo is one of those places that you need to know to appreciate. I agree that less than 50-50 for us is probably right.

I don't know. I've always been very wary of college coaches with no prior NFL experience coming to the NFL, but after seeing a few guys do it successfully, and then hearing and seeing Kelly's body of work, the idea of an innovative, highly sucessful college guy like him is starting to grow on me.

I wonder if it would really just come down to Russ Brandon saying something along the lines of, "Chip, we want you to be the Bills' next head coach. We will pay you $7.5 million a year for five years. And if you agree right now, canceling your other appointments, we will give you a $5 million bonus."

I thought something along these very lines last night if he is in fact their main target

The next Steve Spurrier. His gimmick offense will never work against a quality NFL defense.

Wrong on so many levels. He might indeed fail, as many coaches do, but not for the reasons you cite. First, Spurrier didn't put in work. Kelly is the opposite - he is the most prepared coach in college football. Second, he's already said that he is not going to simply run his spread offense in the NFL - he is going to design an uptempo offense to fit the pro game.

The next Steve Spurrier. His gimmick offense will never work against a quality NFL defense.

all that says is you dont understand what his actual gimmick is.

the principles he built off of have been proven VERY successful. the angles used in the play design or blocking scheme is not the gimmick as it was for spurrier.

Wrong on so many levels. He might indeed fail, as many coaches do, but not for the reasons you cite. First, Spurrier didn't put in work. Kelly is the opposite - he is the most prepared coach in college football. Second, he's already said that he is not going to simply run his spread offense in the NFL - he is going to design an uptempo offense to fit the pro game.

Exactly right on Spurrier who would laugh at the number of hours that NFL coaches spent in film study and game planning.

Kelly is the exact opposite of "The Old Ball Coach" in terms of work ethic.

I disagree 100 percent. Chip Kelly does not employ a gimmick offense. The option-spread O and the hurry-up O are now established tactics that playoff teams are using. Chip runs an offense that relies heavily on exploiting weaknesses, creating mistmatches and then doing a better job of counter-adjusting than his opponents do. In reality, what he does is very straightforward. Believe it or not, he is sticking to the basics in many ways.

Seems to me that Washington runs a lot of spread option plays with RGIII very similar to those kinds of plays on Kelly's Oregon O. The Seahawks seem to do it, too, with Russell Wilson.

Yes - I meant it's not like the K Gun. The K Gun didn't have a season with 100 designed runs for Jimbo...

I am a NO vote....He is a college coach who runs a system that Belicheck will squah in the Pros...

I encourage anyone who thinks this way to read the following article. I wasn't big on Kelly, but after reading this....the man gets it. Very intelligent coach.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems