Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did notice that Oregon was getting some good treatment from the refs who were letting stuff they did go while flagging Kasas for lesser things (not that it cost Kansas the game or anything, just seemed like Oregon would get better treatment and more calls in their favour).

Good thing for the Ducks the refs weren't calling helmet to helmet hits or illegal elbowing or tackling out of bounds.

What I also noticed was for an indoor field, did someone grease the kansas players shoes or something? How many times did players go out and start to run, then fall flat after slipping on the field

It's a grass field.

Why is speed offense and not huddling so defense can't substitute such and innovation? Wasn't Marv doing that 20 years ago? Hasn't Peyton Manning been doing it his whole career? Didn't Dick do it with Trent?

I cant imagine how Russ would spin the hiring of Whiz over someone more qualified like Lovie

CBF

Because a high ranking member of the Bills' FO has a long history and relationship with Whisenhunt. So it would only make sense that given both coaches are even in terms of head coaching skills (which I believe they are) that the Bills would hire Whisenhunt in a second over Lovie Smith. Put yourself in Whaley's shoes, are you hiring someone you don't know much about or the guy you've known for a long time and who's equally qualified? It's that simple. Smith doesn't move the needle enough to hire him over Whisenhunt.

Edited by 1billsfan

Because a high ranking member of the Bills' FO has a long history and relationship with Whisenhunt. So it would only make sense that given both coaches are even in terms of head coaching skills (which I believe they are) that the Bills would hire Whisenhunt in a second over Lovie Smith. Put yourself in Whaley's shoes, are you hiring someone you don't know much about or the guy you've known for a long time and who's equally qualified? It's that simple. Smith doesn't move the needle enough to hire him over Whisenhunt.

Weren't the early quotes from KW that he had asked around the league about Whaley? That implied to me that although they might've had the same signature on the paycheck, they weren't particularly close.

Not saying its an invalid point but maybe (and that's a real maybe) lending some perspective to the nature of that relationship.

It's not a crazy innovative playbook, really.

It's things like the tempo, preparation, adjustments and risk assessment that make him what he is.

But everyone talks about how "innovative" he is

I would think he would make a great OC in the NFL I think, I would have big concerns about him as an NFL HC. I get the feeling he is going to be one of those guys who comes in and maybe looks good for the first year cause he is trying something new, then regresses because the league has caught on to what they are doing (Like Sporano when he brought back the "Wildcat")

As for the interview, it makes sense for him because he can use it as leverage with another team, as for the Bills, its another name to the list of guys they interview and its a way to gather some info on the thinkings of a coach who many see as a guy who can think outside the box. Basically they interview him and get some info on how he would run things and what he does/his beliefs that they can use for themselves (without him divulging any secrets or a playbook). Who knows, sometimes it works out where someone who came in as a curteousy type interview might change their mind during the interview as per their view of the other side. He may go into it thinking he will sit doan and meet with them, but prefer to go to Philly or Cleveland, but after talking to the Bills, he might find that his view on the organisation is wrong and think that this is where he wants to be.

Good thing for the Ducks the refs weren't calling helmet to helmet hits or illegal elbowing or tackling out of bounds.

It's a grass field.

Why is speed offense and not huddling so defense can't substitute such and innovation? Wasn't Marv doing that 20 years ago? Hasn't Peyton Manning been doing it his whole career? Didn't Dick do it with Trent?

Those were some of the things I noticed about the calls, yet an o-linemen has a slight tick/flinch where no defender makes a move offside and they blow it dead immediatly.

Even though its grass, I very rarely saw a Duck slip and fall, did someone forget to tell the Kansas players to pack their cleats?

What makes them equal? Sure, both have been to a Super Bowl as a HC but look at the win/loss record between them and its night and day

CBF

on an off night, they crushed the #5 team in the nation and still scored 35 points.

Exactly correct...It's not like Kansas St is the Sisters Of The Poor...Oregon was clearly better in all phases...And I was pretty impressed with their Defense, which rarely gets talked about... B-)

Chris Brown saying something to the effect of both sides met with no real intent of moving forward with each other........

Well its been said for the last day or 2 that Buffalo, Philly and Clev would interview him, but it was said that he was only interested in Clev or Philly

It does sound like it was an interview that was set up as an option for both sides (Bills are in Arizona anyways, might as well talk to him while they can) to get an idea on each other

Weren't the early quotes from KW that he had asked around the league about Whaley? That implied to me that although they might've had the same signature on the paycheck, they weren't particularly close.

Not saying its an invalid point but maybe (and that's a real maybe) lending some perspective to the nature of that relationship.

Thast true, there was that quote saying he called around about Whaley to get thoughts about him around the league, maybe it was to get an idea what others around the league thought of him to get an idea if he is going somewhere that could have a problem recruiting FAs and coaches because people don't like Whaley or want to work with him?

Exactly correct...It's not like Kansas St is the Sisters Of The Poor...Oregon was clearly better in all phases...And I was pretty impressed with their Defense, which rarely gets talked about... B-)

Up until the half they weren't, they were pretty close in almost all phases til Kansas missed the FG and Oregon came down and scored before halftime, seems like after that happened, Kansas just gave in and couldn't do anything

That was actually Rapaport asking around the league about Whaley, not Whis.

Thast true, there was that quote saying he called around about Whaley to get thoughts about him around the league, maybe it was to get an idea what others around the league thought of him to get an idea if he is going somewhere that could have a problem recruiting FAs and coaches because people don't like Whaley or want to work with him?

It wasnt Whis asking about Whaley, it was Rapaport.

What makes them equal? Sure, both have been to a Super Bowl as a HC but look at the win/loss record between them and its night and day

CBF

Chicago at least gives a decent effort in trying to be competitive. Arizona does not. I'm not a huge supporter of Whisenhunt, it's just my opinion that the guy would have done just as good of a job in Chicago as Lovie Smith did. Both are good enough to get their teams into the Superbowl and both would know the Bills job was their last stop on the HC train to achieve their ultimate goal of winning one.

Because, after they hire Grimm, they can tell us how they tried to get "the cream of the crop", but were turned down. ;)

Seriously...If they hire Grimm I'm out...I've never said that before, and hopefully I'll never say it again...But Grimm is my breaking point...I just can't do it... B-)

But everyone talks about how "innovative" he is

I would think he would make a great OC in the NFL I think, I would have big concerns about him as an NFL HC. I get the feeling he is going to be one of those guys who comes in and maybe looks good for the first year cause he is trying something new, then regresses because the league has caught on to what they are doing (Like Sporano when he brought back the "Wildcat")

As for the interview, it makes sense for him because he can use it as leverage with another team, as for the Bills, its another name to the list of guys they interview and its a way to gather some info on the thinkings of a coach who many see as a guy who can think outside the box. Basically they interview him and get some info on how he would run things and what he does/his beliefs that they can use for themselves (without him divulging any secrets or a playbook). Who knows, sometimes it works out where someone who came in as a curteousy type interview might change their mind during the interview as per their view of the other side. He may go into it thinking he will sit doan and meet with them, but prefer to go to Philly or Cleveland, but after talking to the Bills, he might find that his view on the organisation is wrong and think that this is where he wants to be.

taking the 2 points one the opening td is innovative, his risk assessment is innovative, his practice sessions are noted for being innovative, his 13 second snap count is somewhat unique (i wont say innovative, as hurrying up isnt a new thing), the counter play he draws on the chalkboard and runs with high precision on a 4th and 2 at midfield isnt all that innovative by itself, but the things that went into converting the first down were.... if that makes sense.

there are only so many actual plays out there - what he does is manage his players, and the game in an innovative matter.

That was actually Rapaport asking around the league about Whaley, not Whis.

It wasnt Whis asking about Whaley, it was Rapaport.

was it? i filed the quote away in my brain as rapaport reporting what he heard from sources close to whisenhunt about whisenhunt researching whaley, not rapaport outlining what he thought about the fit himself.

i could easily be wrong as there have been sooooo many tweets, and articles, and posts, and whatnot the last few days. it seemed to me also, that well whaley spoke of him it seemed to lack a personal touch - no anecdotes, just super bowl mention (lends credibility to their resumes more than relationship).

i dont really know, just thinking outloud.

Edited by NoSaint

was it? i filed the quote away in my brain as rapaport reporting what he heard from sources close to whisenhunt, not rapaport outlining what he thought about the fit himself.

i could easily be wrong as there have been sooooo many tweets, and articles, and posts, and whatnot the last few days.

I heard Rapaport being interviewed on GR and Rapaport said he knew little about Whaley and asked around about him to several league sources and they told Rapaport how good they thought Whaley was. I'm not sure about what they told him about Whiz, but he was somewhat high on Whiz, too.