Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

Oh so it was the offense that lost when the defense allowed a combined 82 points to Dallas? Yeah, their offense wasn't up to par in either game. But you don't win football games allowing 30 points, and you sure as hell don't win them allowing 52.

2nd Dallas game Bills were winning (20-10?) at the half before they got cute with the shovel passes to Thurman - both turnovers that reversed the momentum of the game. They don't score all those points w/o the Bills offense's help.

1st loss (SB25) was ALL about the foolishness of the play-calling in the second half. Thurman was averaging 10 a carry, but Jimbo wanted to win through the air. Played right nito Parcell's hands.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the "gimmick"? He runs an up-tempo spread offense. There's nothing gimmicky about it. Levey had success with the no-huddle K-Gun. Gailey tried to find success with the spread. Others use the spread more successfully. Chip Kelly's offense is a clever amalgam of old, good ideas. But what probably sets Oregon apart is that they execute it really, really well because of the way Kelly prepares his teams.

I'm not sure how well his offense would work in the NFL but it's not a gimmick. Kelly's just a good college coach. He's good at X's and O's and good at getting his players to execute with speed and precision.

I'd argue Gailey had a lot of success with the spread. Offense was much better than under Jauron, but you can only do so much with a QB as inaccurate (and weak-armed) as Fitz. This is a big part of why I am not high on Kelly (AT ALL). Tell me what's so different about his offense than Gailey's? If they had Russell Wilson on the team, they could look a lot like Oregon. Who is going to be that run-threat QB in Buffalo for Kelly like he relies on in Oregon??

2nd Dallas game Bills were winning (20-10?) at the half before they got cute with the shovel passes to Thurman - both turnovers that reversed the momentum of the game. They don't score all those points w/o the Bills offense's help.

1st loss (SB25) was ALL about the foolishness of the play-calling in the second half. Thurman was averaging 10 a carry, but Jimbo wanted to win through the air. Played right nito Parcell's hands.

Mind you, I was only like 5 or 6 during the last Super Bowl years, so I don't remember them in detail. Also I didn't mention the Giants/Redskins games because well...that could be on the offense, or the defense...but without seeing it I have no comment.

On the other hand when you lose 52-17 and 30-13 (must have been been 13-10 at the half)....your defense is allowing a boatload of points along with the offense not getting the job done.

I'd argue Gailey had a lot of success with the spread. Offense was much better than under Jauron, but you can only do so much with a QB as inaccurate (and weak-armed) as Fitz. This is a big part of why I am not high on Kelly (AT ALL). Tell me what's so different about his offense than Gailey's? If they had Russell Wilson on the team, they could look a lot like Oregon. Who is going to be that run-threat QB in Buffalo for Kelly like he relies on in Oregon??

We will have to draft the QB that can run that offense. Will Chip Kelly have better game day management than Chan? Half time and or game time adjustments by the offense and defense would be nice as well.

Potential Bad News If you're a Chip Kelly advocate:

@ByTimGraham

Based on info I've gathered, Bills-Chip Kelly interview seems to be a token gesture from both parties.

Lovie Smith it is then.

Living in Eugene Oregon I have seen first hand what this guy does for his football team. His practices are like no other. Its all about conditioning and execution. Look at how the ducks play every week. They start off slow and eventually destroy their opponent with a higher level of physical play.

Also, this guy is a winner. Plain and simple. The attitude of Oregon players is of no compromise. Just listening to the guy talk in his interviews makes me think that he expects nothing less of everyone around him.

Chip uses the spread offense which would totally incorporate into the current Bills offense. If you don't want a complete restructure you have to bring someone in that is familiar with the current offensive scheme. This guy could bring this team to the next level.

Respectfully disagree. After watching that Oregon game last night I was left unimpressed and leaning to him not landing with the Bills.

They ran (3) basic plays last night- a seam route, a read option and a bubble screen. I thought I was watching an old animated cartoon series where the scenery repeats itself every second.

Their success came from the tempo, which was quick and nothing new- as well as the athleticism / quickness of the players. With every NFL defensive back able to run a 4.4, this simply will not work in the NFL- without a QB with high level athleticism if at all. So you need to adapt it for the NFL. Adapt it to what and with what personnel?

Sure Belichick consulted with Kelly- manily about how to employ the tempo, which it seems Brady has been able to do. Bringing in a "tempo" coach with no NFL experience is a risk worth not taking IMHO.

Everybody aboard the Whisenhunt train!

I hope not.

CBF

@ByTimGraham

Based on info I've gathered, Bills-Chip Kelly interview seems to be a token gesture from both parties.

I dont get it. Why bother with the interview then?

CBF

He added:

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham

Keep in mind, Bills fans, that token interviews sometimes lead to genuine interest. Mike Tomlin began as a Rooney Rule requirement

Oh Tim Graham, you sly SOB.

If Kelly does become the new HC, great.

If not, then so be it.

The Bills are scheduled to interview Mike McCoy & Lovie Smith.

Re: the Graham tweet.....I don't have my heart set on Chip Kelly, but I will lose my G.D. mind if they hire Whisenhunt

If we end up hiring the Whizz and the reasoning is that he and Whaley worked together in Pittsburgh, that's a bad omen on Whaley (unless of course we win). So a guy shoots pool with Whaley and he can come in here and get a job over more qualified candidates?

Sounds like an exacerbated case of nepotism.

Edited by reddogblitz

@ByTimGraham

Yeah? And he all but reported Buddy Nix was fired too. His reputation took a big hit because of it, IMO.

I don't understand. I could see Chip Kelly granting us an interview for leverage. But why the hell would Buffalo interviewing him as a "token gesture"?

Yeah? And he all but reported Buddy Nix was fired too. His reputation took a big hit because of it, IMO.

I don't understand. I could see Chip Kelly granting us an interview for leverage. But why the hell would Buffalo interviewing him as a "token gesture"?

He's black, didn't you know that? Meets the Rooney Rule.

To appease the fans that want Kelly. They could say "We tried" maybe?

Of course we know that would never work. The cries of "Ralph ... er ... Russ is cheap!" would be deafening. :)

Edited by CodeMonkey