Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

That's old school thinking. We got a young group of guys here. I think he'd get through to them. The only problem and this is a HUGE issue, is the Quarterback. We need a big arm Franchise QB. I don't care who the HC is, if you don't have that player here, We'll never win in this day in age of the NFL...

Yeah, but what NFL team looking for a new HC has a great QB? If you have a great QB, odds are you're good and are not looking for a new HC.

Who knows? Maybe Kelly thinks he can work with T Jax, and draft a rookie.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people think he is going to run the exact same offense. They aren't potentially offering him $40m to run the same plays. they are paying him to adapt to the nfl, be a trend setter and be able to change on the fly and keep up and be ahead of new trends. AKA opposite of the past three years.

Why do people think he is going to run the exact same offense. They aren't potentially offering him $40m to run the same plays. they are paying him to adapt to the nfl, be a trend setter and be able to change on the fly and keep up and be ahead of new trends. AKA opposite of the past three years.

I've found most people are rather narrow-minded and don't think outside their own perception of reality. Everything is cut and dried, black and white. In this case -- gimmicky college coach will fail in the NFL.

Thankfully, I don't believe Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley share those views or mentality -- regardless of whether they think Kelly is the right guy for this job.

So he could then squash him when he came to the Bills, silly.

That's funny--- I had a jokey thought that Bellichick is such a genius, he a) knew who we were going to hire to be our next coach 6 months in advance, b) brought him in to master his philosophy, and c) will then use it against us for the next 3 years until the cycle repeats.

This goes way beyond spygate, folks!

After thinking about Brandons comments about our tarnished brand and how we need to become innovative and incorporate advanced statistics....Im starting to think that Kelly is the Bills #1 target for the HC job. I think they are going to be giving him the full court press today much like they did to Mario Williams. You gotta give Russ Brandon credit, he knows how to sell something. I dont think theres anyone better to sell the job of Buffalo Bills Head coach.

The one thing we do know is that this is Brandons undertaking, not Nix's

I've found most people are rather narrow-minded and don't think outside their own perception of reality. Everything is cut and dried, black and white. In this case -- gimmicky college coach will fail in the NFL.

Thankfully, I don't believe Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley share those views or mentality -- regardless of whether they think Kelly is the right guy for this job.

Couldn't agree more... Brian Kelly of my beloved Irish ran a Chip Kelly style at Grand Valley State (title) then Cincinnati BCS #3 and he tried it at Notre Dame. He then realized he did not have the personnel for it and he adapted to a ball control, running, defense oriented team.. How'd that work out for him. He is an innovate coach just like Chip and innovating coaches find new ways to make things work. Please spare me about the fact that Grand Valley State isnt the NFL!

I love all the different coaching options we currently have but honestly, ask yourself... what on earth do we have to lose trying to be trend setters going forward??

After thinking about Brandons comments about our tarnished brand and how we need to become innovative and incorporate advanced statistics....Im starting to think that Kelly is the Bills #1 target for the HC job. I think they are going to be giving him the full court press today much like they did to Mario Williams. You gotta give Russ Brandon credit, he knows how to sell something. I dont think theres anyone better to sell the job of Buffalo Bills Head coach.

The one thing we do know is that this is Brandons undertaking, not Nix's

My gut reaction:

i think brandon wants him #1 on the list. fits the style he has portrayed.

im not sure our GM(s) are looking at the same list (he doesnt seem like a nix guy, or frankly even a pittsburgh coach which are the two places whaleys come up). that could be waaaaay off on whaley though, we dont have much on him.

itll be interesting to see how it plays out.

A lot of games if it doesn't work out.

the "atleast its different" or the "what do we have to lose" crowd are tiring even as a guy that likes kelly as a prospect.

Edited by NoSaint

I think the Bills have a great opportunity with Kelly today. He has stated that he wants to make his decision "fast." The Bills are the first team in and they have previously indicated that they will pursue Kelly "hard."

Couple that with Russ Brandon's open commitment to analytics and there just might be a chance for a home run today.

If I was Russ I would tell Kelly 3 things - 1.) We want to be the standard bearer for analytic football and will give you wide range to establish it to your liking on the NFL level, 2.) We have the 8th pick in the draft and you can use that (either in keeping it or trading it) to get the QB you need to make your offense click and 3.) You have an opportunity here to knock NE and Belichick off of their decade + long perch and become a demigod to Buffalo fans.

Also, I am working under the assumption that there is a succession plan in place and Russ would intimate that to all of the coaching candidates, thus defusing any concerns about franchise instability.

Russ and Whaley need to take the lead here and play the youth card with Kelly. Keep Buddy in the background with his piehole zipped. If they can pull it off things could get really exciting around here really fast.

Get 'er done, Russ.

I think we are forgetting one thing here: Buddy Nix is still the general manager of the Bills. I cannot see Chip Kelly going to a team with a general manager who has demonstrated so little understanding of how the modern NFL works.

What will it take to get Chip Kelly to be the next coach of the Buffalo Bills? Money? Control?

And what makes the Bills a more attractive landing spot than the Browns or the Eagles, who have expressed interest in Kelly and have great RBs of their own (Trent Richardson and LeSean McCoy)?

I for one think the Bills will have to break the bank for Kelly and offer him a 5 year contract that would pay him $5M-$6M per year. Russ will also have to reassure that there will be no involvement from an aging owner and that there is a new stadium on the horizon, which is another value proposition.

I think we are forgetting one thing here: Buddy Nix is still the general manager of the Bills. I cannot see Chip Kelly going to a team with a general manager who has demonstrated so little understanding of how the modern NFL works.

Well hopefully the new face of our franchise was outright lying to everyone when he repeatedly insisted Nix remains in full control of all football ops.

This is an amazing opportunity and I'm excited it's even a possibility. A week ago it would not have been. Some people really need to screw that fact into their brains.

Also, consider the Bills' competitors here. Cleveland has no talent on its roster at all, so Kelly would have to sign up for a total rebuild. Philly has talent, sure, but it has an aging defense and a very weak offensive line. Plus in Philly you have a very difficult fanbase and a somewhat difficult FO dynamic (Lurie is very loyal to Roseman, who has a questionable reputation when it comes to player personnel skills). Sure, Kelly could always opt to stay at Oregon. But the Bills will make a hard sell and finally have the roster and the FO structure to get it done.

Just think, we never would've thought that Mario would entertain the thought of coming here. Brandon had a lot to do with getting that done. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Do I think Kelly will succeed? I have no idea. But even if he doesn't, it sure would be fun to root for a team that thinks outside the box for a change.

I wonder if it would really just come down to Russ Brandon saying something along the lines of, "Chip, we want you to be the Bills' next head coach. We will pay you $7.5 million a year for five years. And if you agree right now, canceling your other appointments, we will give you a $5 million bonus."