Nix changing his mind on Gailey?

Jerry Jabber

The Gailey/Fitz era will be over at the final gun of the Jets game. I doubt Nix gets fired but I can see him stepping aside in favor of Whaley.

It's not so much that the Bills will finish with another 5 or 6 win season. It's HOW they've lost games this season. It's clear they ran for the bus as soon as adversity struck yesterday. In a word, they've stopped playing for Gailey. And I think the team has given up on Fitz since the Titans game. Stevie's frustration has been visible all season long.

It's an untenable position for Gailey and Fitz.

GO BILLS!!!

agreed. i think nix stays (if he has his way) until their is a qb of the future before handing over the team. at that point i think he calls it a day.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

By retaining Gailey you'd have a season ticket holder revolt. The Bills have to at least be able to sell hope, even if it's false hope.

I disagree. There are somewhere in the mid 40,000's season ticket holders who will renew regardless of what the Bills do. Just so long as they are in Buffalo.

Plus Mr. Wilson gives up 40% of ticket sales money to the other teams, and gets 40% of the ticket revenue of the away games where the tickets are much more expensive. Plus he has (or at least had) the Toronto series to line his pockets. And the biggest $$$ maker of them all, his share of the TV contract. Ticket sales at the Ralph become more and more irrelevant every year.

Can we all please stop with the Buffalo self-loathing? Although Nix was blowing some smoke at the time of the Chan hiring about having so many different requests for interviews, the fact remains that there were many reputable people interested in the job who would have accepted if it had been offered. Marty, Brian Billick (who was pissed that the Bills did not even want to talk to him), Frazier (who was actually the favorite to get the job), and Perry Fewell (who was probably the most logical choice.) It sounds like once Cowher recommended Chan that Buddy had a somewhat single point of reference. Coming off a firing as OC for the Chiefs and a mostly lousy effort as a head coach at Georgia Tech, there is no way that Chan Gailey was the best man for the job.

The problem, really since Wade left, is that the GMs have way too often and in way too many ways tried their best to debunk conventional wisdom. That has been true of draft picks, and it has also been true of head coach hires. Go back to 2001. Donahoe had the right idea: he interviewed Marvin Lewis, Jon Fox, Sean Payton, Ted Cottrel, and Gregg Williams. We all know who got the job. At least Gregg was the DC for a very good Tennesee defense.

In 2004, when TD hired Mularkey, he was coming over from the Steelers as their OC. Guess what? Their offense sucked so bad in 2003, that for a very rare moment in the last 15 years, the Steelers actually picked ahead of the Bills in the draft and managed to land Big Ben, the player the Bills really coveted. In 2006, Jauron's last job was as the DC and interim head coach for a TERRIBLE Lions team. Neither of these guys warranted a head coaching gig at that time. (I do often wonder what would have happened with Mularkey if he had not been saddled with Losman; he actually did a pretty good job in 2004 with Bledsoe under center.)

Heck, if we go all the way back to the mid 80s, other teams were not knocking down doors to get to Marv. He was blessed with some fine talent -- and a solid coaching staff to whom he felt comfortable delegating power.

Less than a guy who may be good at drawing up plays on one side of the ball or another, the Bills need a coach who is a leader and capable of making logical decisions on gameday. They do not need another fool that believes he is smarter than the rest of us.

Actually if Nix is here Feb 1st still doesn't mean a whole lot as GM's contracts typically run through May 1st, through the draft.

The Gailey/Fitz era will be over at the final gun of the Jets game. I doubt Nix gets fired but I can see him stepping aside in favor of Whaley.

What scares me alot about Polian is I'm afraid it's a package deal with Bill and his kid. and the kid sounds terrible. Personally I think that was why BP got fired in Indy. I think Irsay would have kept Bill, but wanted to fire the son and knew that wasn't going to work so fired both of them.

At least make Polian the Director of Football Operations and allow him to make front office and coaching changes.

NOTHING will change until the Bills have a new owner. N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

More like....

NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNTIL THIS FRANCHISE HAS NEW OWNERSHIP!!

For the love of god, who cares if Nix / Gailey stays, or leaves, or Ralph Wilson hires another set incompetent bums. Isn't twelve years enough of this crud?

The 49ers hire a great HC and BOOM in the playoffs in one year.

The Broncos hire a great HC and BOOM in the playoffs in one year

The Falcons hire a great HC and BOOM in the playoffs in one year

This franchise needs a better president then owner Ralph Wilson, who has been in a coma the last decade. They need a better GM then a retired head scout who sucked at his job to begin with, which is the entire reason he was never offered a GM job in his first 70 years. This franchise needs a better HC then someone who was fired from his last job as an OC because he sucked.

NOTHING WILL CHANGE UNTIL THIS FRANCHISE HAS NEW OWNERSHIP!!

Or this fan base grows some brains and stops buying 40 thousand+ season tickets to watch constant losing

Nix is smart enough to know that Chan has worn out his welcome with the fans. If Chan returns it will mean less fans buying season tickets, over all ticket sales will drop, enthusiasm for the next season will be nil before it begins.

If Nix and the bean counters convince Mr Wilson to retain Chan, it means (to me) that they are intentionally running the team into the ground to soften the blow when Ralph's estate sells the team and they move to LA.

This is almost surreal. People were foaming at the mouth to get rid of Jauron, and were heralding Gailey as the coup the Bills pulled off hiring the guy that Jerry Jones said was his biggest mistake firing. And now more foaming to fire Gailey with no clue as to who would replace him.

Well, with the Cowboys stinking up the joint as well, maybe Jerrah will correct his biggest mistake ever ... ya think? ;)

I don't remember anyone being excited that Gailey was hired and also the Cowboys are tied for first in the NFC East.

Are you suggesting we keep the current coaches cos its not going to matter anyway?

Williams, Mularkey, Jauron and now Gailey. Before them the likes of Rauch, Johnson, Stephenson, Bullough, Collier, etc...

I'm not suggesting they keep Gailey, just that it will be more of the same.

Edited by LabattBlue

Polian is probably one of the only big names that will come here. Sure the Colts had a 2-14 season, but it put them in the position to draft Andrew Luck and they control their destiny to make the playoffs this year. What fresh blood is going to want to come here? Russ Grimm and Ron Rivera refused the opportunity to interview for the HC position in 2010. Not to mention the rumor that Harbaugh said no as well. Polian is older, but he has built winners everywhere he went.

From a marketing standpoint it might generate interest in season ticket sales next year.

I agree with you about his head coaching decisions, they have been suspect at times. I still believe that Marv Levy was an average coach with outstanding football players. That being said any change will do.

I think Polian likes the ESPN gig and had called it a career.

I agree. My real wish is Nix gets fired, and Ralph brings back Bill Polian.

If this happens remember the name Dave Caldwell.

He worked with Polian in Indy and is head of college scouting in Atl. Dave is a Buffalo boy. Would like to see Polian as head of operations and Caldwell as GM.

Caldwell has been a part of turning around two franchise in Indy and Atl. Just the kind of guy the Bills need!!

If Nix and the bean counters convince Mr Wilson to retain Chan, it means (to me) that they are intentionally running the team into the ground to soften the blow when Ralph's estate sells the team and they move to LA.

If they want to move the team for LA for financial reason, why would they need to "soften the blow"? They wouldn't give a crap about that. Screw the fans. Go for the almighty dollar. It's not personal, it's just bidness.