Players blame themselves, not coaching [Williams,Barnett,Kelsay]

uncle flap

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if it's someone on the practice squad saying this...if it's true and needs to be said, then say it.

When something goes wrong, people have to be accountable. I hope someone is and gets what's coming to them...be it the bench or get cut.

It is a little surreal that the leadership is coming from backups. Kelsay, Choice, for instance.

although dareus may need it, i agree with 3rdand12 - i think kelsay was calling out mario. i think the veterans collectively would have more easily corrected dareus' behavior as he is just a young 2nd year player - behind the scenes. i think kelsay is calling out mario in a public but somewhat shrouded way as it is probably harder to change the behavior of a $100 million man who has previously been well accomplished.

He named Mario, and a DE that was cut. Seems likely

Not to mention....it's common. They call it a zone blitz and Dick LeBeau is one of the proponents of it, and no one thinks he sucks...

Only problem is we missed the blitz. Otherwise agree 100%

D lineman are athletic these days.

Edited by NoSaint

My guess is that a guy like Kyle Williams wishes a guy like Kelsay had kept his mouth shut.

Except that Kyle Williams opined on the defensive play by the DL before Kelsay ... It's the OP in this thread for Pete's sake.

Edited by GG

there are many areas that need work. You just can't pick one player.

Over pursuing - is that on coaching or the players

Bad tackling - is that on coaching or the players

Stupid Penalties - I won't name names (Pears) - is that on coaching or the players

and BAD Ref calls

there are many areas that need work. You just can't pick one player.

Over pursuing - is that on coaching or the players

Bad tackling - is that on coaching or the players

Stupid Penalties - I won't name names (Pears) - is that on coaching or the players

and BAD Ref calls

A otherwise spot on post turns into rubbish because of that whining.

It's just like Fitz taking responsibility for the INT, when Pears is beat clean on a 3 man rush and he misses Stevie on the out route and it gets picked off. We know Wanny sucks as a DC, or that OL mess up sometimes. They just aren't going to throw coaches / other players under the bus. They are stand up guys.

They are not stand up guys

Stand up guys play for the team not their buddy

Stand up guys call out their teammates for not playing hard

Remember Howard Ballard and Jim K.

Talley called out Bruuuuce

Andre was called out and told to stop pouting and play when he didn't like his contract

Team means more than individuals.....that is STAND UP

the locker room is about to implode....

it is obvious all these player comments are directed towards one individual, Mario Williams.....

Mario is NOT a leader, by words or actions, he hides from the media, the symbolism of him being elitest as the only guy with a fridge in his locker, his comments to the press that he doesn't care what they or anyone thinks, his constant mentioning of his wrist injury and yet the bills deny he has one and refused to put him on the injury list. his lack of production and effort on the field.

he does NOT have the respect of his teammates, in fact, it is just the opposite, what is just trickling out is the tip of the iceberg. the other players flat out resent him. it's going to get ugly.

Edited by papazoid

it is obvious all these player comments are directed towards one individual, Mario Williams.....

Mario is NOT a leader, by words or actions, he hides from the media, the symbolism of him being elitest as the only guy with a fridge in his locker, his comments to the press that he doesn't care what they or anyone thinks, his constant mentioning of his wrist injury and yet the bills deny he has one and refused to put him on the injury list. his lack of production and effort on the field.

he does NOT have the respect of his teammates, in fact, it is just the opposite, what is just trickling out is the tip of the iceberg. the other players flat out resent him. it's going to get ugly.

i also absolutely believe that Mario has a wrist injury, that once healthy, he will be a productive player. unfortunately, he like so many others, will never live up to the billing of the highest paid defensive player in the league.

I see a huge coaching problem on D. I have seen both Mark Anderson and Kyle drop back into coverage. WTF??

They hardly ever blitz. I just don't get it. They can't get there with 4 . Why not try 5 or 6? Moats has got pass rushing skills. So does Kyle Moore. Put them on the field and let them do what they do best.

My thing is if Mario is hurt put him down for a couple of weeks let him heal up. This is gonna be a long term contract. Let the man heal up. They don't need him on the field if he cant play injuried. They cant get any worse on D anyway without him.

I agree about Morrison, if Sheppard cant do the job put the Vet in. Give Searcy some snaps he cant be any worse than Wilson. Put McGee back in at CB when he gets healthy enough.

There are things we can do with the current roster that can produce better results. They have to mix things up more often. Offences watch the Bills on tape and know what they are going to get 85-90 percent of the time.

Wanny has to be more creative. Seems like he does not want to change and its killing us.

i also absolutely believe that Mario has a wrist injury, that once healthy, he will be a productive player. unfortunately, he like so many others, will never live up to the billing of the highest paid defensive player in the league.

Give it a year or two at most, he wont be the highest paid very long.

Players need to play, all of them. I get what you are saying in your two posts. i do. But so what if he has a fridge or makes more money. Any guy on the team right now still makes about 10x what the average person makes. So stop being little whinny kids and go show some character. Play hard for yourself.

I submit it already is.

Signing high-priced FAs in football is always a tricky deal when it comes to locker room dynamics. First years rarely go well. I give MW until the end of next season before I pronounce him Haynesworth 2.0.

GO BILLS!!!

I submit it already is.

Signing high-priced FAs in football is always a tricky deal when it comes to locker room dynamics. First years rarely go well. I give MW until the end of next season before I pronounce him Haynesworth 2.0.

GO BILLS!!!

for many reasons the bills had to roll the dice on a legit top free agent, not the least of which were ticket sales and the stigma that no good player will sign here.....

Well, I am tired of excuses, placing the blame, unable to find solutions, weak quarterbacks,etc,etc.

In less then a half season the team lost the fans again.

An endless list of excuses is really growing old. Just shut up in the media and play better on Sunday.

i miss dick lebeau and ted cottrell

although Ted Cottrell was totally inept and fired by 4 difference teams, he is probably an upgrade over Wannstadt.

the problem with both is they rode the coattails of superior defensive minds in Wade Philips and Jimmy Johnson and could never do it themselves

Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams is considering surgery on his injured left wrist during the team’s bye week, The News has learned.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121023/SPORTS/121029618/1109

i thought moore is looking like he should be starting. i noticed over the last 2 games he got pressure and did ok on containment. but you can see he's trying to prove that he wants to play. if players don't have their head in the game of have some kind of mysterious injury then bench them until those problems are remedied. there will always be another guy who wants to play. i will go play if they'd let me. let the people who want it play. just because a player has a huge contract doesn't mean he should automatically get the slot. but i also think this goes on coaching staff. if they can't motivate players then what are they doing?

• 1 month later...

i agree with many of the posts on here. It's impossible to pin-point a person, position or coach. The unit as a whole needs a wake up call. Light a fire under some of these guys a**es. We've seen most of these guys play. Some of them pro-bowl caliber. It comes down to the inconsistency of the performcance of players and play calling. I wont pretend to be an NFL guru. I dont have all the answers. All I do know is that our entire team is flooded with second tier guys who hog much needed cap room. What are we waiting for to get rid of these guys. I'd love to sit here and list them for you, but the mere mention of some of their names is too much for me to bear. Especially during the holiday season.

That said...Bring me a "W" this weekend Santa!

Its hard to be a good defense when all you have to do is isolate a player on Barnett for a big gain or Aaron Williams or Justin Rogers...those are basically three automatic players that will always be open every play. How can you play defense like that with much success??

From a purely talent stand-point (not weighing in coaching/schemes), I think the Bills once again overrated

some of their own players (as they have with the WR and other positions for the last few years), on defense...

They thought Aaron Williams was ready...he was not (not sure if he'll ever be)

They thought Sheppard was ready...nope (and no back-up plan)

They didn't even really have a 2nd OLB (so not even an A plan)

While I love G. Wilson and think he is a talented player, he is not that punishing type of Strong Safety that's needed.

When you add in that Marcel was underperforming due to the tragedy in his family, Mario's wrist, and Anderson ending on IR, then

with hindsight it's not difficult to see what went wrong. Pressure was lazy from one side and we were soft up the middle

(Dareus, Sheppard, Wilson) with a CB on the outside who was vulnerable and LBs (being young and undisciplined) not staying

in their gaps.

For many teams, the intimidators, the punishers on their team are the middle linebacker and strong safety...

think Ray Lewis, London Fletcher, Polamalu, Ed Reed, etc....Shep and Wilson aren't that. Plus Shep was

the QB of the D...maybe he just wasn't good at that aspect of the job either (getting everyone where they needed to be).

So, going forward, I think Brooks has a chance of filling the outside corner spot. McGee is done, McKelvin should be back-up.

I wouldn't play Rodgers out of the slot and have no confidence in Williams. We need another CB, so we have a plan B if

Brooks doesn't step up next year (or just to compete for the job).

LBs: I think Barnett would be fine if he had 2 NFL starting caliber LBs to play alongside. So we need at least 2 but maybe even 3 or 4

new LBs (I want depth as well as new starters) and at least one of them has to be an enforcer. (WOW have we missed on LBs in the

draft: Tank, Sheppard, White, Moats, Harris, Bowen. Granted in the last 5 years, the 7 LBs we took we're taken in rounds 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, and 6)

Strong Safety: We need a bruiser back there, that can still cover. That's not Wilson and I'm not sold that Searcy is the answer either.

To fix this D, we need 1CB, 2-4 LBs, and a tougher SS.