Players blame themselves, not coaching [Williams,Barnett,Kelsay]

uncle flap

Well put. This is exactly how I feel.

This kind of coaching drives me INSANE. My high school basketball coach had a great scheme. He won more than 400 games in his career, but he never won the big one, and he could never consistently beat the coach of our rival. Why? Because in a school of 2,200 students, he wedged players into HIS scheme, never the other way around. Our rival coach? Changed his gameplan with his game to game roster. I don't know if it's an ego thing or what, but this isn't specific to our coach, but it is a thing.

Great point...the only thing Wanny adjusted at halftime was his pink thong.

Ha, that must have been what was cutting off circulation to his balls.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So says Nick Barnett.

Jesus, I'm so tired of hearing the same generic, meaningless bull ****. Seriously, we're about halfway through the season and we don't know how to execute? Not even a little? We're giving up yards and points in unprecedented hoardes. Even a tiny bit of execution would help. Are the players that undisciplined?

Heck yeah, I'm all for the execution of this defense! (maybe even the coaching staff)

:sick:

This kind of coaching drives me INSANE. My high school basketball coach had a great scheme. He won more than 400 games in his career, but he never won the big one, and he could never consistently beat the coach of our rival. Why? Because in a school of 2,200 students, he wedged players into HIS scheme, never the other way around. Our rival coach? Changed his gameplan with his game to game roster. I don't know if it's an ego thing or what, but this isn't specific to our coach, but it is a thing.

Ha, that must have been what was cutting off circulation to his balls.

what do our players do well that we arent allowing them to do right now?

So says Nick Barnett.

Jesus, I'm so tired of hearing the same generic, meaningless bull ****. Seriously, we're about halfway through the season and we don't know how to execute? Not even a little? We're giving up yards and points in unprecedented hoardes. Even a tiny bit of execution would help. Are the players that undisciplined?

Apparently, the players and coaching staff have regressed to their Pop Warner years. Because that's what the coaches say to little kids learning the game. These comments are the telltale signs of a losing culture. The Bills are not a good team nor are they coached well at all. Carolina fired their GM this AM. The losing Bills stay put and wash yet another season down the drain.

So says Nick Barnett.

Yep. I don't know what it's going to take to get these guys heads out of the clouds and start playing like a team...

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I've come to a different conclusion:

This defense is bad because it's filled with players like Nick Barnett who is clearly retarded.

i mean if the argument is that they cant execute the defense, and the bulk of the commentary is that the defense is too basic schematically.....

what do our players do well that we arent allowing them to do right now?

I've seen Sheppherd blitz well. Moore pressures well, McKelvin is good at jumping routes, Byrd blitzes well, I'd venture to say a guy with Bradham's intensity blitzes well. Our line runs twists with success.

Instead we don't do ANYTHING aggressive on defense--and I can't think of a single solid defense in the NFL that has success with this formula---MAY BE the Giants.

This was my biggest concern when we hired Stache the first time around. He's notorious for being Captain Vanilla--when we've got players built to be NASTY out there.

One thing no one has even mentioned: the Titans were playing their BACKUP QB. Think about that. We lost at home to the Tennessee Titans' BACKUP QB.

This is false. Folks here were wise to fear Hasselbeck. He's smart, can read defenses, and make the passes. He manages well and won't lose the game for his team. The same CANNOT be said about Locker. He's much more volatile, and fans were right to dread facing the steady, savvy vet.

seriously though, our LBs simply arent diagnosing plays well and even when they are they are getting beat. people start trying to overcompensate to help them and they get beat because they are neglecting their own responsibilities. bad lbs will make you a bad defense in a hurry - see philly last year.

frankly the coaches have gone outside the box on this group some already - they use a safety in there to cover up coverage issues, theyve benched a guy... theres only so much you can do though if the guys just cant play. we knew that it was a BIG question mark going into the season and hoped shepherd would step up, and behind a good dline that they would overachieve. the lines not playing up to potential and the LBs are atrocious.

This is false. Folks here were wise to fear Hasselbeck. He's smart, can read defenses, and make the passes. He manages well and won't lose the game for his team. The same CANNOT be said about Locker. He's much more volatile, and fans were right to dread facing the steady, savvy vet.

But what part of it is "false"? The Titans think Locker gives them their best chance to win, no?

I've seen Sheppherd blitz well. Moore pressures well, McKelvin is good at jumping routes, Byrd blitzes well, I'd venture to say a guy with Bradham's intensity blitzes well. Our line runs twists with success.

Instead we don't do ANYTHING aggressive on defense--and I can't think of a single solid defense in the NFL that has success with this formula---MAY BE the Giants.

This was my biggest concern when we hired Stache the first time around. He's notorious for being Captain Vanilla--when we've got players built to be NASTY out there.

so....

1) send the house on a blitz

2) jump routes

3 hope for the best?

our front four are indeed underachieving but at some point there has to be a realization that when one of your position groups is among the worst in the nfl (our LBs) theres only so much you can do to hide it. even if the DL was playing up to expectation wed be hurting with this LB play. we are likely to take lumps all season with this. it was a concern going into the year and its come true.

So you glorify a guy who is a backup that beat the Bills and yet the Bills have a starter who is worse than the Tennessee backup?

Edited by DaGimp

But what part of it is "false"? The Titans think Locker gives them their best chance to win, no?

perhaps? they invested a high pick in him, and he has to get his chance to play/learn/grow.

just because hes the starter doesnt mean they think hes 100% the best shot to win any given sunday. i really havent seen a lot of lockers play so i cant comment toooo much though.

so....

1) send the house on a blitz

2) jump routes

3 hope for the best?

our front four are indeed underachieving but at some point there has to be a realization that when one of your position groups is among the worst in the nfl (our LBs) theres only so much you can do to hide it. even if the DL was playing up to expectation wed be hurting with this LB play. we are likely to take lumps all season with this. it was a concern going into the year and its come true.

What

is

the

worst

that

could

happen?

Yes, blitz like all !@#$ing hell. Jump routes, gamble, double team. DO SOMETHING.

Jesus! May be we end up giving up 35 points a game, but at least it looks like we're !@#$ing trying. May be we'll register more than one measly sack. May be we'll force a turnover. May be our middling quarterback wouldn't then have to play a perfect !@#$ing game, just to keep us competitive!

I posted this to another thread, but it applies here. . . . .

I just did a quick analysis of the Bills Tackling Stats:

% of TOTAL TACKLES:

LB-32 DB-48, DL-20

% of SOLO TACKLES:

LB-31 DB-50 DL-19

What does it mean? The analysis is incomplete because we need to realize DB's make a high %age of tackles on passing plays, thus padding their #'s, BUT, the raw #'s above DO suggest that the LB's are making too few plays. So I said to myself, "Myself, what if you compared our D to the #1 D (we want to become), what do their #'s look like".

Number 1 right now is SF 49'ers, here are their numbers

% of TOTAL TACKLES

LB-40 DB-38 DL-22

% of SOLO TACKLES

LB-42 DB-36 DL-22

The analysis is still incomplete, but you can derive that the Bill's secondary is being called on to make too many plays AND it make sense that as the game goes on those guys may get more worn out, hence succeptable to big plays later in the game.

Also, the Bills have 438 total tackles to SF's 377 or 16% more - we're on the field way too much (but we all already knew THAT !)

Another interesting thing about the numbers - the Niner LB's made 42% of the solo stops and were in on 40% of all tackles. The Bills' LB's only made 31% of the stops and were in on 32% of all tackles. This tells me the Niner LB's made plays 42% of the time on their own with no help (assists). The Bills' LB's should be embarrassed.

Looking at our DB's - theyre being asked to make SOLO stops (no help from LB/DL) on almost 50% (48%) of the plays - UN-Billeveable!!! We need to cut them some slack, buy them some Ben-gay and tell them we will draft LB's and maybe find some in Free Agency!!!

Our DL makes slighly fewer tackles as a %age of total plays, than the Niners DL - 20% vs 22%. But it's not as glaring as the LB/DB numbers, but intuitively, we all know the DL should be doing better.