Players blame themselves, not coaching [Williams,Barnett,Kelsay]

uncle flap

I wanted to chuck my TV out the window last night when I heard re: Dick LaBeau on SNF: "adjustments are my favorite part of the game. Sure, you come in with your Plan A, but if that doesn't work, you move to Plan B, then C, and so on."

IF THE PLAYERS CAN'T !@#$ING EXECUTE THE SCHEME, GIVE THEM SOMETHING THEY CAN !@#$ING DO.

IF THE SEVEN PLAYERS IN COVERAGE CAN'T PROTECT THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD, 15 YARDS FROM THE LOS ON 3rd and 8, THEN SEND ONE OR TWO GUYS ON A !@#$ING BLITZ. WHAT ARE WE WORRIED ABOUT? GIVING UP 15 YARDS DOWN THE MIDDLE ON 3RD AND 8!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

I think wanny was trying to prevent a TD by minimum rush on 3rd and eight and still failed. I would have come with 7 guys at Hasselback

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to chuck my TV out the window last night when I heard re: Dick LaBeau on SNF: "adjustments are my favorite part of the game. Sure, you come in with your Plan A, but if that doesn't work, you move to Plan B, then C, and so on."

IF THE PLAYERS CAN'T !@#$ING EXECUTE THE SCHEME, GIVE THEM SOMETHING THEY CAN !@#$ING DO.

IF THE SEVEN PLAYERS IN COVERAGE CAN'T PROTECT THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD, 15 YARDS FROM THE LOS ON 3rd and 8, THEN SEND ONE OR TWO GUYS ON A !@#$ING BLITZ. WHAT ARE WE WORRIED ABOUT? GIVING UP 15 YARDS DOWN THE MIDDLE ON 3RD AND 8!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

It amazes me how some Coaches, like Wanny, are not better students...A DC like LaBeau is the master...Why not LEARN form that? The fact that The Bills continue to run out this failed scheme week after week is mind-numbing...Put on the tapes Dave...Learn something...

I think this is what happens when you grab Coaches who are removed from having big-time success in the NFL either as Coordinators or Assistants...When was Wanny last considered a great Defensive mind in the NFL? Or even in College? When was Gailey considered a great HC ever? You get what you get when you hire Coaches like that...It rarely works...The NFL moves WAY too fast... B-)

Nick Barnett is right. So is Kyle Williams. You put crap players in good schemes, it's a crap scheme. You put crap players in a crap scheme, it's a crap scheme. You put GOOD players in ANY scheme and it's a good scheme.

We have a good DLine, no LBs, one S, and one CB on our defense. That is it. If we can't see that our back seven are slow to read, slow to react, and out of position as a result, then we are not watching the game correctly. And if we lose a key battle at the POA, it's worse.

GO BILLS!!!

This is a historically bad defense. Last year was statistically the worst defense in team history. We are on pace to break last year's record. Terrible

This pretty much sums it all up perfectly.

I think the players on this D are woefully overrated. Yes, you can probably sell off the pieces for a pretty good return (draft picks?)..but collectively as a group they have Zero chemistry and are a step slow on everything. A half step behind in the NFL is huge. I'd love to blame Wanny and Chan for everything but this group of men on the field are to blame more. Although you do have to blame Nix and Chan for even putting this group together. So far whatever they are touching on D has turned to sh*t despite their best efforts to sign and draft "talent". So that part is on management.

But except for a few 'improvements' (Gilmore, M. Williams) this is the same group as last season. So you'd expect the results to be slightly to somewhat better. IMO the source that spoke the quoted title of this thread is either lying or totally delussional. There is a lot wrong with this defense which can be proven just by looking at the results. There's nothing wrong but you are consistently giving up 35+ points per game, over 500 yards, and guys are having career games against you week after week? Come on Bills, be honest with yourself.

This defense is too passive and predictable. The pass rush is mostly 4 man standard straight ahead rush with no stunting, moving players around, or blitzing, Sending DE's and DT's into pass coverage is insane. The linebackers always seem to be out of position. Receivers are running free and open consistently. You got 7 or 8 guys in coverage but the receiver catches the ball and you're watching the game on TV waiting for a defender to appear on the screen. Who are these guys covering, what are they doing during the play?

This group needs an aggressive, in your face type defensive coordinator that is going to push them and kick them in the butts to either play the scheme well or will adjust the scheme to suit the situation or the ability of the players available. We don't need a guy that appears to sit calmly and casually up in the sky box calling plays down to the sidelines sucking down a couple beers and eating hot dogs. This team needs some positive emotion and that's not coming from the current DC. And if Mario doesn't care what people think then he's got a real problem with dealing with accountability. I saw Merriman taking his spot late, a guy that was on the street earlier last week. Say what you want about Shawn but at least he brings some emotion and fire to the party. We need all 11 guys playing that way not just sleepwalking through the game.

Mario? Dareus? Pretty Damning statement to accuse effort publicly.

Note: it was from the Buffalo Bills twitter feed, so I don't have a link yet.

Kelsay: "You watch the film and guys aren't playing hard every play"

Kelsay: "We're going to get everyone on the same page" "It's inexcusable"

"If you're not going to (give full effort) you shouldn't play ... It's all of us."

"You're only as good as the effort you give"

and then from Thurman

Thurman Thomas@thurmanthomas

WTH..Sad day when u hear this, but @DarrylTalley said it also.: Kelsay: "You watch the film and guys aren't playing hard every play"

Kyle Williams more or less had the same sentiment. Not only are they basically calling guys out....but they're throwing lit matches in the powder keg of a frustrated locker room. There is a fine line between calling challenging teammates and being a whiner who 'talks through the media.'

I have no issue with what they said. I think it was spot on. However, it will be interesting to watch if this team solidifies/unites or implodes.....

Its nice to have some guys on the team who actually give a crap. Wannstedt should have Mario in his office and chew him a new butt hole. Give him the game against Houston to make a difference. If he doesn't show up for that game, bench his ass. If he gives you any attitude, fine/suspend his ass.

Don't you think maybe guys aren't playing hard becasue they know they are beat before the ball is even snapped??? They know that the three worst LB's in the league are behind them. They know that there is no such thing as a safety or CB blitz in this scheme. A chewing out from a guy you have no respect for will do nothing. They need new leadership.

This is the Bills we're talking about, right? When does a choice like this ever go in a positive direction?

Ahh...you never know though I can appreciate your apprehension. Statistically, your guess is the right bet. Having lived through the Bickering Bills of '89, however, I can assure you that sometimes calling out your teammates publicly can lead to very great things.

The bigger question(s) are WHO? and WHY?

Now what you hope is a few players step up and call a 'player only' meeting.

I think Kyle Williams/Kelsay and Freddie/Stevie need to do this.

I suggest these four because they are always giving effort from what i have watched. they have also all been Bills long enough to know the talent on this squad opposed to 2-3 years ago.

It has to be that the players do not agree with the DCord. Funny how this is coming out of two defensive players mouths. I have not heard anything yet like this from a Offensive player. correct me if i am wrong?

yes there are three units on a football team, but the three parts work together to produce positive or negative results. Thus a team wide player meeting is necessary.

At leats we are seeing two guys step up and try to lead!