Rivers,Vick,romo oh my

jcbillsfan

It's seems as though every season a veteran qb shakes free. Weather it's MAnning,Palmer,Vick or Cutler. One can argue about the ability of the qbs I listed but I think everyone would argue they all offer an upgrade to Fitz. This years three most likely candidates are Rivers , Vick and to a lesser degree Romo. It will be interesting to watch each situation to see which one imploded and to see if BUddy will pull the trigger if one becomes available

Rivers is only impersonating a "choke artist" then?

6 turnovers in one game: the mark of a winner. :lol:

Rivers is a really good QB. He's on a poorly coached team. How Norv Turner is a HC in the NFL is beyond me. I would take Rivers in a heartbeat.

Bet you $5 there will be a thread saying the Bills should hire Norv after he gets canned.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Geez, let me echo the thoughts expressed here -- Rivers is not a choker? He has played with two HOFers most of his career in Gates and Tomlinson, yet can't win the big game. And he's a douchebag. No thank you.

And edit: Good teams (and good QBs) don't blow 24-pt. leads at home.

Edited by eball

Rivers is a really good QB. He's on a poorly coached team. How Norv Turner is a HC in the NFL is beyond me. I would take Rivers in a heartbeat.

You could say the same thing about Tony Romo.... and you wouldn't necessarily be right.

Rivers rode a HOF RB and HOF TE to much success. What's he doing now that LT is retired and Gates is old and broken down? He'd be horrible in Buffalo.

The Bills don't need a 30-something QB that a more successful franchise dumped.

Last night, Rivers threw several passes that made me think: wow, when Bills fans see this kind of performance from Fitzpatrick, they're convinced we have the worst quarterback in the league.

Rivers would be good in Chan's offense. Smart, gets it out quick, big arm, big heart. Fans would love that guy. That is how you upgrade. Not messing around in-season this season. Rivers is a big, tall Fitz with an NFL arm.

Rivers would be good in Chan's offense. Smart, gets it out quick, big arm, big heart. Fans would love that guy. That is how you upgrade. Not messing around in-season this season. Rivers is a big, tall Fitz with an NFL arm.

Rivers and Fitz are not in any way shape or form analogous--and Fitz (see my post in the PFF thread) runs Gailey's offense (or at least the one Gailey designed for him) well.

So, I'm not sure what you're basing any of this on...

You must be an NC State fan. Those are the only folks I know who would use those adjectives to describe Rivers.

It's seems as though every season a veteran qb shakes free. Weather it's MAnning,Palmer,Vick or Cutler. One can argue about the ability of the qbs I listed but I think everyone would argue they all offer an upgrade to Fitz. This years three most likely candidates are Rivers , Vick and to a lesser degree Romo. It will be interesting to watch each situation to see which one imploded and to see if BUddy will pull the trigger if one becomes available

Hey it would be a great PR move if Brandon brought in Donavan Mcnabb -- RIGHT ?

Seeing as he played at Syracuse we could draw more fans from there to bring up ticket sales ! Got to think of the bottom line !!

YA YA now thats some thinking right there !!!

With Vicks arm & our O line giving him time i think that could (might) be awesome !!

Edited by T master

I don't know why people focus on the ints so much. Outside of Vick, who I hate, I would take any of these guys over Fitz.

It's the horrible overthrows, missing guys by yards, and complete lack of deep ball accuracy that makes him suck.

These guys just make some dumb choices, it's not a talent thing for them.

These guys just make some dumb choices, it's not a talent thing for them.

Wrong. Rivers has no arm. He constantly underthrows guys and his deep throws consist of short punt-like fluttery jump balls. He has fallen way off in the last two years. Here's a sampling of the recurring themes I've heard all morning on San Diego sports talk radio with regards to Rivers:

- weak arm

- choker

- regressing

- no confidence

- underthrows the deep ball

- doesn't hit receivers in stride

- statue

- need to draft franchise quarterback

Any of this sound familiar?

Romo and Vick suck, Rivers would be the way to go but he isn't the greatest either.

6 turnovers in one game: the mark of a winner. :lol:

Bet you $5 there will be a thread saying the Bills should hire Norv after he gets canned.

PTR

Oh hell no, Norv is worse than Dave, I'd be livid if he were actually brought here.

Rivers is not good.. Yes, the coaching also sucks.. Vick is not a better option than Fitz either.. he turns the ball over way too much. No thanks. Romo is the only guy that seems like an upgrade but he can be a whiny B word (like Rivers)..

Romo is a good QB and i hope we have a chance to pick him up. if we get a late 1st round draft pick (hahaha, j/k) i mean our top 6 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder and probably something a little later would be great for Romo. i think the cowboys as a whole suck, but Romo would be a massive upgrade.

schefter was saying wed be the #1 destination for vick if we still have chan and nix next year.

it didnt seem educated based on intel beyond we were interested last time.

You mean when the commish stepped in and told him to go to a team with a real HC?

Sorry, but at this point i am not so sure i want Vick. Having watched his career in Atl closely i think what he does best is over.

Vick has lost that elite speed due to hits and age. This was the biggest thing he brought to the table. Defense constantly had to keep one eye on him running. Now not so much.

I echo the sentiments of many around here, no thanks on an over 30 guy that has issues/question marks.

I would be all for trading as many picks necessary to get one of the two best qb's coming out of this draft. So what if you give up a 1# from your 2014 draft the Bills have a 15 year history to show what not having a franchise QB does for you.

This is directed at the people that say they don't want rivers. If you could trade Fitz for Rivers, would you? How about for romo or Vick?

I would trade Fitz for Romo. Not so for Rivers or Vick. There's no big upside with either of those two, whereas I think Romo does have some elite ability.

The Rivers bashing here is somewhat laughable...Now I will say this...It is possible at this point that Rivers is on the permanent decline...This is his 9th Season...It happens...BUT...We're talking about a QB with a CAREER 95 QB Rating, and a 2:1 TD to INT ratio...He is light years better than what we have now...Even though he would not be my QB of choice from here on out...Still...Rivers has had a hell of a good 8 NFL years..And assuming he would be better than Fitz in Gailey's Offense is like assuming a bear craps in the woods...It's an easy assumption to make.... B-)

The Rivers bashing here is somewhat laughable...Now I will say this...It is possible at this point that Rivers is on the permanent decline...This is his 9th Season...It happens...BUT...We're talking about a QB with a CAREER 95 QB Rating, and a 2:1 TD to INT ratio...He is light years better than what we have now...Even though he would not be my QB of choice from here on out...Still...Rivers has had a hell of a good 8 NFL years..And assuming he would be better than Fitz in Gailey's Offense is like assuming a bear craps in the woods...It's an easy assumption to make.... B-)

:thumbsup:

You guys kill me, Phillip Rivers is a very good QB. What we all saw last night happens when the HC forces the QB to try and carry the entire team.

He is being coached by a passing fool in Norv Turner (just like Gailey) and has another tool as his GM. The current Chargers GM is his biggest enemy after letting Darren Sproles, Michael Turner, Vincent Jackson leave. Plus letting players hold out on the O line, and not rebuilding it properly. Think of that Chargers offense with those 3 guys still there, and Marty S as the HC! Ever year Marty S would have the team running much more then they passed, and went 12-4 with Rivers at QB.

Shoot, even with at HC Norv with those 3 players and the team would be so much better

Now go back and watch that game, and look at how much Eddie Royal sucks. Ran bad routes, didn't make an effort for the ball. Watch the other SD receivers and notice they sorta suck also, except Gates. It would be like the Bills letting Spiller, Stevie Johnson and Fred Jackson all leave.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Fear the Beard

Little tidbit I read on ESPN, about the Eagles latest loss:

Michael Vick threw for 311 yards and two TDs, but he also had two interceptions and a botched snap led to another lost fumble. The Eagles now have 17 turnovers in six games, including 13 by Vick on eight picks and five fumbles.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321014021

Edited by kas23

I live in San Diego and no one here is laughing.. Enlighten us on the big games he's won.. I can't think of one. Sure he's got a better numbers, better arm, etc.. but he cracks easily under pressure. I have never been a fan..

There is no chance the Chargers let Rivers go. I'd say there's a very small chance Dallas would let Romo go. In my view Vick would be the only option and I'd say no to that. We need to draft one and take our chances there yet again.

These two posts are oases of reason in this thread.

I live in San Diego and no one here is laughing.. Enlighten us on the big games he's won.. I can't think of one. Sure he's got a better numbers, better arm, etc.. but he cracks easily under pressure. I have never been a fan..

People in Buffalo used to bash Jim Kelly too. I even remember semi-serious calls for Frank Reich to replace him. You never fully appreciate what you have until he's gone.

I don't know why people focus on the ints so much. Outside of Vick, who I hate, I would take any of these guys over Fitz.

People focus on the INTs because it's a very important statistic. Unlike a lot of QB statistics (passing yards or # of TD are two examples), it is strongly correlated to winning. STRONGLY correlated. Even QB pass completion percentage is not that strongly correlated to winning!

Let's just walk through this a bit.

Great QB throw ~30-35% incompletions. Mediocre QB throw ~40-45% incompletions. So mediocre to great means a difference of 5-15% in completion percentage. That's significant, but can be compensated by other factors - YPA rushing in the running game and YAC for two.

We have 3 tries at a 1st down. If one can get 4-6 yds by running, 1 incomplete pass and 1 short completion or two 4-6 yd runs move the chains. Keep moving the chains, there's a chance to score. So with a reasonable running game, even 50% incompletions can move the chains and result in a score.

On the other hand, fumbles and INTs not only kill any chance to score, they often give the ball back to the other team with favorable field position and an increased probability to score - thus the strong negative correlation between turnovers and losses. The only way to compensate for these is maintain a positive differential by the D getting their own fumbles and INTs and putting the whammy on the opponents scorking chances.

There is no statistic for how badly a throw misses, unless it winds up in the hands of a guy with a different color jersey. It may look horrible to the fans, but in terms of game impact an incomplete pass has the same effect whether it is thrown 10 yds to the right, in the dirt, or hits the receiver on the numbers and is dropped.

I would like to look at the correlation between a team throwing on 3rd and short and winning LOL! but that's hard data to mine. I would also like to look at a correlation between pass run split, QB pass completion percentage, and winning - my guess is if a team with a mediocre QB runs a pass-heavy split, that's probably a clear negative correlation to winning.

Now I imagine someone with a monomania on the topic or a challenged reading comprehension will read this as Fitz apologia, but it's not - it's actually a cold hard fact of football. INTs and fumbles really hurt the team, while once a pass is incomplete, it really doesn't matter how ugly the incompletion is. It just matters whether or not it was intercepted.

PS another important statistic correlated to winning is # sacks and # penalties - unlike a mere incompletion, these decrease the chance of sustaining a drive and scoring.

Edited by Hopeful

These two posts are oases of reason in this thread.

People in Buffalo used to bash Jim Kelly too. I even remember semi-serious calls for Frank Reich to replace him. You never fully appreciate what you have until he's gone.

No one in San Diego is going to miss Rivers.. They miss Brees.