UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Las Vegas?

Well there is the Las Vegas Locomotives… or there was.

He could always check in with Vontez Burfict.

Seriously though, it'll be interesting to see where he goes now that he's left Buffalo without a contract.

Are there other suitors?

Did the Bills not offer him a contract or was their offer not good enough? It's one of the two.

Sorry if this already posted:

JW update: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/qb-young-good-shape-during-214224179--nfl.html;_ylt=AjsgP.nQMYSCdRZAMipXF3xDubYF

Well he left buffalo....

Threw up this on twitter:@VinceYoung: All respect to the Buffalo Bills organization great workout today honor to meet all the coaches and players and respect to Buddy Nix.

One reading between the lines would think we said thanks but no thanks...(or he did)

I think the man made it clear he wants the opportunity to compete for a starting role, not a backup role

I think the Bills made it clear they want a QB to compete for the backup role, not the starting role.

Bad "fit" on both sides.

The only sensible thing for VY at this point is to make certain there aren't any teams where he could compete for a starting role before considering a backup role.

Edited by Hopeful

I could be mistaken and often am, I'm concerned you're mistaking a quick-release game from a spread offense for a one-read game.

Lot of college teams play the latter. What Chan does is the former, and mentally it's tough. There's a reason Edwards and his superior arm flamed out and Brohm looked like cr**. They couldn't handle Chan's offense at NFL speed.

Not saying you are wrong , but I was listening to carl banks break it down before the jets game last season and he was saying it is a one read and pretty easy to defense, unless you hit some long throws. Perhaps he mispoke but it seems fitz makes the read at the line on a lot of those throws

He isn't a fit for Chan's offense at all; Gregg Cossell's comments on Young not fitting our offense are a few pages back that clearly states this...

He may have upside, but the tape and stats thus far don't show that and don't lie.

stats are 31-19 btw thats really all that matters

as for gregg cossell , not sure how he knows how vince would handle chans offense having never run it, but it would seem to me that if you could simply things all the better. Medicore talents have put of very good numbers in this offense I wonder what a player with about average skills could do

came here to post the same link. Instead I'll put a few quotes from the article that I found interesting.

If Chan Gailey can't save Vince Young no one can.

good to see Chan getting love esp from NFL.com

He makes a lot of sense as competition for Tyler Thigpen for the backup job. At this stage in his career, it should be about opportunity, not money, for Young. He's not going to find a better opportunity than this one.

what many of us have been saying.

I didn't read all 23 pages of this thread, so it probably already has been said. But I would love to see the BIlls go after Dennis Dixson.

Well, as the tenth person in this thread to say so, perhaps you could be the first to explain why.

Well, as the tenth person in this thread to say so, perhaps you could be the first to explain why.

I'm one of the ten so I will try. I like him as a back-up not as a starter. I watched a lot of him in college and he's a playmaker, extremely dangerous running or passing. He has a good arm. He's 6'3" 200+. He would have been a high draft choice had he not tore his ACL late in his senior season when he was leading his team to a #1 or #2 ranking. He has had a few injuries at terrible times that really sent his career off track, and I wouldn't want to count on him but he still has a lot of potential at 27 and if the starter went down he could fill in for a few games and win them for you. For my money, he's a better football player than Kordell and Thigpen, who Chan did wonders for.

I'm one of the ten so I will try. I like him as a back-up not as a starter. I watched a lot of him in college and he's a playmaker, extremely dangerous running or passing. He has a good arm. He's 6'3" 200+. He would have been a high draft choice had he not tore his ACL late in his senior season when he was leading his team to a #1 or #2 ranking. He has had a few injuries at terrible times that really sent his career off track, and I wouldn't want to count on him but he still has a lot of potential at 27 and if the starter went down he could fill in for a few games and win them for you. For my money, he's a better football player than Kordell and Thigpen, who Chan did wonders for.

Well, I can't possibly tell you you're wrong about any of that since it's ALL based on speculation. Is The Senator still banging the Graham Harrell drum?

Point is, at least with VY, we have a body of professional work to evaluate. Some of it great, some of it downright rotten. With DD we have virtually nothing. I wasn't put off by the VY workout because he CAN be great. We KNOW this. I don't understand the DD infatuation, much like a lot of folks here don't buy the Easley hype--there's simply no baby present.

Well, I can't possibly tell you you're wrong about any of that since it's ALL based on speculation. Is The Senator still banging the Graham Harrell drum?

Point is, at least with VY, we have a body of professional work to evaluate. Some of it great, some of it downright rotten. With DD we have virtually nothing. I wasn't put off by the VY workout because he CAN be great. We KNOW this. I don't understand the DD infatuation, much like a lot of folks here don't buy the Easley hype--there's simply no baby present.

The pickings are thin. I'm okay with Thigpen actually, not that I think he is really good or that we cannot improve in that area, probably the same way the Bills are thinking. I don't want Vince Young because he can't throw well enough, IMO, and he is a certified head case. I think he would be bad for the locker room. The guy who covers the Texans was on GR, the very respectable Jim Wiatt, and he said he spoke with Young a few months ago and VY was still in denial about being a starter in this league. And he has been in denial about his career a lot. I want my back-up to want to start but there is a right way to go about it and a wrong way and I'm not sure Young is ready for it. I was more open to Young coming here before hearing that, from a guy who knows Young very well.

The pickings are thin. I'm okay with Thigpen actually, not that I think he is really good or that we cannot improve in that area, probably the same way the Bills are thinking. I don't want Vince Young because he can't throw well enough, IMO, and he is a certified head case. I think he would be bad for the locker room. The guy who covers the Texans was on GR, the very respectable Jim Wiatt, and he said he spoke with Young a few months ago and VY was still in denial about being a starter in this league. And he has been in denial about his career a lot. I want my back-up to want to start but there is a right way to go about it and a wrong way and I'm not sure Young is ready for it. I was more open to Young coming here before hearing that, from a guy who knows Young very well.

Good. Then my trust in the FO abounds.

Also, perhaps we were watching a different Vince Young, but I don't recall ANY passes that would make one question his throwing ability...?

Also, perhaps we were watching a different Vince Young, but I don't recall ANY passes that would make one question his throwing ability...?

At this point I have to think you are either from Texas, or have just been trolling us all along. The man cannot throw a football at the NFL level (he can run like blazes though, I will give him that).

Anyway, now that he's gone, I guess I should have had more faith in the front office.

Several sources are saying that VY looked good yesterday...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/vince-young-looked-good-at-bills-tryout-no-deal-yet/

Also, thought the quote from the Eagles GM was interesting (considering the number of people that seem to think Vince is a cancer to teams):

“Vince was an unbelievable teammate when he was here and you saw him continue to get better,” Roseman said. “We felt like he was going to have an opportunity to go somewhere and maybe compete for a starting spot. So whoever gets Vince Young is going to get a steal at this stage of the offseason.”

Guess we shall see...

At this point I have to think you are either from Texas, or have just been trolling us all along. The man cannot throw a football at the NFL level (he can run like blazes though, I will give him that).

Anyway, now that he's gone, I guess I should have had more faith in the front office.

May be I just haven't watched him with a learned eye.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/vince-young-looked-good-at-bills-tryout-no-deal-yet/

Also, thought the quote from the Eagles GM was interesting (considering the number of people that seem to think Vince is a cancer to teams):

“Vince was an unbelievable teammate when he was here and you saw him continue to get better,” Roseman said. “We felt like he was going to have an opportunity to go somewhere and maybe compete for a starting spot. So whoever gets Vince Young is going to get a steal at this stage of the offseason.”

Guess we shall see...

His availability has Miami written ALL OVER IT.

http://profootballta...ut-no-deal-yet/

"Vince was an unbelievable teammate when he was here and you saw him continue to get better," Roseman said. "We felt like he was going to have an opportunity to go somewhere and maybe compete for a starting spot. So whoever gets Vince Young is going to get a steal at this stage of the offseason."

Guess we shall see...

Yeah, NFL teams love to give other teams players who are really good starters so they can come back and beat them. ;)

That statement could only mean two things to me, either the speaker was being a nice guy and trying to help Young land a job even though he doesn't think Young could help his own team, or he is saying that Young is a potential huge risk in the locker room if he is not starting.

Well he left buffalo....

Threw up this on twitter:@VinceYoung: All respect to the Buffalo Bills organization great workout today honor to meet all the coaches and players and respect to Buddy Nix.

No mention of Darryl Talley?

Since it was immediately followed by a question about Nick Foles, the QB they drafted in the third round, his remarks seem a bit disingenuous...

http://profootballta...ut-no-deal-yet/

"Vince was an unbelievable teammate when he was here and you saw him continue to get better," Roseman said. "We felt like he was going to have an opportunity to go somewhere and maybe compete for a starting spot. So whoever gets Vince Young is going to get a steal at this stage of the offseason."

Guess we shall see...

But everyone on here says that they chose Trent Edwards over VY :rolleyes:

If we can sign him, I say why not, it never hurts to add talent to the roster and he is clearly better than Thigpen.

Edited by Marcellosaurus

But everyone on here says that they chose Trent Edwards over VY :rolleyes:

f we can sign him, I say why not, it never hurts to add talent to the roster and he is clearly better than Thigpen.

I liked Trent. I wanted him to succeed. But that day is over. No thanks.

FWIW, a poster over at BB.com who had some pretty valuable inside information during the draft stated the Bills would offer a contract to Young within the next 48 hours. Young apparently has one other visit expected in the next week or two, but apparently interest was mutual based on his workout.

FWIW, a poster over at BB.com who had some pretty valuable inside information during the draft stated the Bills would offer a contract to Young within the next 48 hours. Young apparently has one other visit expected in the next week or two, but apparently interest was mutual based on his workout.

Lets hope so. He has to be an upgrade!

stats are 31-19 btw thats really all that matters

So you are saying VY is superhuman; he is not only the QB, but the RB, WR, OL, and entire defense and special teams as well?

The numbers you provided are the Win-Loss Record of various TEAMS in which he was a member of; unless he, like I said above, played every position on the football field at the same time and single handily beat the opposing teams. If the latter is the case, by all means cut the rest of the team and let's go with just Young...

If you want to evaluate VY you need to look at his individual stats last year 4 picks against the Seahawks, 4 TDs to 9 INTs last season, a career completion percentage of ~57%, has more career INTs than TDs, is unable to read defenses to make proper plays and therefore has to improvise by using his running ability to make a play, a career 74.4 passer rating, didn't perform to McNair's ability in his first 2 seasons (not expected to, but he was out performed by him, lost his job to 90 year old Kerry Collins (maybe he was around 83 back then) who went 13-3 btw as the starter, went suicidal after being booed by fans, refused to go back into a game in which he said he hurt his arm, went back in hurt his leg and didn't show up for the MRI, caused a divided locker room in Tenn, got Jeff Fisher canned only to be released later, starter the 'Dream team' crap that dogged the Eagles all season as a back up....

People make this guy out to be a god, but he is another first round bust, who was only selected that high based on athletic ability, he doesn't have the football smarts to go with his great athletic skills. Is he stat wise better than Thigpen, most likely; but he looked like **** against the Seahawks last year. The same people will defend that and say well it wasn't just him are also the same ones who say he is 31-19 that is good enough for me...Yeah like he did it all on his own :ph34r:

Does the Poster drive a BMW?

No mention of Darryl Talley?

:lol:

If they do sign VY, he better hope Talley doesn't attend a game.

Years ago I was at the Lions at Bills game. The stadium announcer said that there was a lion on the loose and to be on the lookout. A person dressed in a skinny and tattered Lion costume ran on the field where Billy Buffalo grabbed him, shoved him into a garbage can and dragged it off the field. I could only hope one day to see Talley chasing VY around and beating the sense of history into him and dragging him off the field in the same manner. :o

:bag:

Exactly! I'll take my chances with Thigpen as the backup rather than this idiot.

You did take your chances with Thigpen. Last year, Remember when Fitz cracked his ribs? He's the QB nobody put in so Fitz could heal up. Real quality money being spent on that guy. But he's GOT to be better than Young, right? The way he warmed the bench was classy. Holding the clipboard during our 8 game slide was WAY better than Young's. His hand position on the clipboard was just great to watch. You're right. You've convinced me. Thigpen is the man! Not the guy who on the Titans ran for every first down on 3rd and long against us while we were getting the middle finger from Bud Adams. Thigpen! I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more Thigpen!

Not the guy who on the Titans ran for every first down on 3rd and long against us while we were getting the middle finger from Bud Adams.

When a QB can't read a defense this is what he does...Young also looked great against the Seahawks last year. BTW do you just willfully ignore all the baggage that comes with Young?

I don't think there is 1 poster on this board that doesn't think Thigppen should get upgraded. It is all of the baggage and crap that comes with Young that makes some of us pause and ask if it is worth it. It isn't like Young has played lights out in his career either, he was a first round bust. The same excuses that are being made for him now to get another look are the same that almost every QB bust gets. It was the coaches, it was being booed, it was in maturity, it was hanging out with the wrong crowd, etc. If Young didn't have the baggage and didn't have it stuck in his head that he still wants to be a starter then by all means sign him. But that isn't the case.

Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport

RT @UpstateSam: What's the latest on Vince Young? >> Still alive w #Bills, maybe 1 other team; mentioned this on @NFL32 on Monday

Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport

RT @MichaelChelus: Although I hate potential move, your thoughts on #Bills signing Vince Young? >> Makes sense in competing role w ThigpenChris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport

RT @Shea_bass: Do #Bills still have Brad Smith as well? >> Yes but they would like VY to compete w Tyler Thigpen for that No. 2 job #NFL32

Tweeted Today

It's possible they want to see how Corp and Tanney look this weekend before reaching back out to Young...

Possible. I would think that VY would compete against Thigpen for the back-up role, and only one of them stays. And that Corp and Tanney would fight it out for the #3 or PS developmental QB and one of them stays.

It's possible they want to see how Corp and Tanney look this weekend before reaching back out to Young...

Different issue. Corp. and Tanney are playing for the practice squad.

I doubt that seriously. Just totally different players for different roles at hugely different spots in the careers. Apples and oranges really.

More likely they wanted time to scout and dig on young. Follow up on some questions

Edited by NoSaint

Personally, I think VY still thinks he's a #1 and the ball is in his court, so to speak. The Bills brass could have made an offer to him, but he might want to wait around to see how training camp/OTA's with other teams go. See if a chance to compete for a #1 opens up, which it might.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

To me, signing Vince Young is a good thing, and not because I think he's any good. It tells me they're serious about winning now. If Fitz goes down, they're not going to pack it in and limp towards another high draft pick. They want to find a guy that will be able to win some games and at least give them a puncher's chance at making the playoffs this season.

He won't compete with Fitz because he can't make a pre-snap read. He will, however, be able to make a couple big plays here and there in an offense that is leaning heavily on its running game and he does have a big enough arm to keep defenses honest. Thigpen can't even provide that.