RD 1, Pick #10: DB Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina

SDS

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure about this... Another CB. With Kuechly gone, I thought Buffalo would select Floyd. I would have been happy with that pick.

But like Buddy said, you can never have enough CB's. And with Welker running all over the place, I guess it's a smart move. I do like the idea of a AWill/Gilmore corner tandem for the future though.

Can anybody tell me more about Gilmore? Anyone see him play on a consistent basis?

You know, I didn't see it that way at first. But, wow. Yeah, sort of have that vibe. Look at the last few draftees we have had and most never saw much of the field the first year. Dareus, obviously a top 3 tick does not count

GF also commented on that. "His hair is funny looking and his tie doesn't match. Wow, he looks like he's upset, is that the team you like? His hat looks so goofy."

In Gilmore's head it looked like:

"Oh ****, not Buffalo! Not Buffalo. God what did I do to deserve this! Well, I'll be a free agent in 4 years, I have some time to prepare to play only during my contract year."

Edited by Why So Serious?

Florence, McGee and McLovin won't be Bills after this year and if they are they'll be coming off the bench. Getting a starting CB this year to team up with Williams means we'll only have to find nickel and dime backs next offseason to fill in the sub packages. I like it

Amazing how many on here still think they are smarter than Nix. Screaming WR or LT when none were worth #10 while this kid was. We got best value for #10. I was hoping for Kuechley, but Carolina was smart enough to take him right before us.

The Bills have their FA pass rusher, which makes the

savvy, hard-hitting Gilmore an excellent pick, one that might just trump Aaron Williams’ selection last year. Compared with Williams, Gilmore has more height (he’s 6’2” to Williams’ generous 6’0”), better speed (4.40 to 4.56), better blitz skills, and similar change of direction (3.94 shuttle to 4.07, and 6.61 to 6.72 in the 3-cone). This speedy duo of aggressive cornerbacks will rival most NFL teams, and under McGee’s tutelage, Williams-Gilmore could rival the Bills’ all-time CB tandems. As a returner, Gilmore would also be taught by McGee, with his NFL’s third-highest-yards-per-return.

This was my pick at DraftTek, so DraftTek is 7 for 10 in guessing the pick. It's continuously being updated here:

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

Edited by Astrobot

This is Groundhog Day: The Sequel.

Once again the Bills go for a cornerback in the first round while they have more pressing needs. I believe Gilmore is good, but we have huge holes at OT and LB. Now we will be weeping about the ones that got away... again.

Highly respected Greg Cosell of NFL Films on Gilmore:

The best corner prospect in this draft is South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore. He has a chance to be a Charles Woodson-type player down the road: athletic, physical and competitive, playing outside in the base defense and in the slot in the sub-packages.

Cosell had him going third in his mock draft.

Edited by In space no one can hear

LOVE IT!!! If we couldn't trade down my realistic picks in order were Gilmore, Floyd or Kuechly...AWESOME

Buddy pretty much telegraphed the pick again like I said before in other posts during WGR radio interview and the Draft Luncheon!! BOOM!!! Now lets hope Martin/Glenn/Massie are there in the 2nd and We get a big WR in 3rd (Also Russell Wilson somewhere later)

This is a solid SEC corner. I'm an SEC guy and watched Gilmore all year. He's a great tackler, solid in coverage, and was rarely fooled by the opposing WR. If you watched the real USC at all you'd know that the defense carried them this year with the inconsistent QB play. Great pick and will help our D as a unit!

Since a lot of people seem to be not listening to Buddy, I'll repeat what his philosophy is again... Buddy takes BPA regardless of position. That is what he did at 10. Adding the best available player left in the draft to the roster is never a bad thing.

This is Groundhog Day: The Sequel.

Once again the Bills go for a cornerback in the first round while they have more pressing needs. I believe Gilmore is good, but we have huge holes at OT and LB. Now we will be weeping about the ones that got away... again.

WE HAVE 9 MORE PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't accuse of Nix of trying to be sneaky. There's no one he talked up more than Gilmore. Feel a little disappointed. Would've liked this pick if were able to trade back a couple spots and get an extra pick.

Exactly, how could someone listen to Nix and NOT know this was the pick. I thought this was the guy he thought was a "no-brainer" if he's there. Did you see how fast the Bills got their pick to in? They didn't even bother fielding calls. It's obvious Buddy loves this kid.

No..more the fan in me wanting the glamour pick instead of the need...just an emotional knee jerk...im not a student of the game...more a headline fan..i think i would have rather gone a big receiver or ot...but i'll read the reaction and come around...

If you don't know a thing about him isn't it rather irrational to not be happy with this pick?

Love the pick. Gotta build the D up and Gilmore definitely helps our secondary get better and younger. Trust in Nix!