Our opinions of this draft, pick by pick.

I rarely start threads, but I've seen people throwing around draft grades, and I think that approach doesn't mirror how most of us view the draft. I'm interested in your opinions, pick by pick.

1. Gilmore - Given who was available during the pick, I'm very happy with our selection. With Kalil, Blackmon, Kuechly, (and Barrron) gone, Gilmore was our only real option, imo.

2. Glenn - I'm a Martin fan, but how can we be upset with this pick? Excellent value, excellent prospect. Very happy.

3. Graham - My least favorite pick this far. He's certainly a burner, but needs a lot of work for an early 3rd rounder. His hands seem so-so, fumble issues, and his blocking is bad. That being said, Chan seems thrilled to have him on the team, and I hope that Chan's right about him.

4. Bradham - Fantastic pick in round 4. Good physical specimen, plays with passion. I think he'll see significant time by years' end.

4. Brooks - Another pick I love. Watch him pop out on special teams play, and force his way onto the dime package.

5. Sanders - Another excellent pick, great value in the 5th. Great head on his shoulders, a lot of experience, glad to see another capable tackle who can play both sides.

5. Carder - Yet another pick I'm happy about. Great instincts, good tackler, Rose Bowl MVP. Can't believe he broke his back when he was a kid.

6. Asper - While some of us we're looking at McNutt with this pick, I am not terribly upset. I'm happy to see we're making a concerted effort to build a solid Oline, with good depth.

7. Potter - Interesting. I was convinced they were going to add another DE. I wanted a tall WR to develop. They catch us all off guard and draft a kicker, even though when Lindell went down we all realized just how stable he has been.

Edited by NickelCity

I rarely start threads, but I've seen people throwing around draft grades, and I think that approach doesn't mirror how most of us view the draft. I'm interested in your opinions, pick by pick.

1. Gilmore - Given who was available during the pick, I'm very happy with our selection. With Kalil, Blackmon, Kuechly, (and Barrron) gone, Gilmore was our only real option, imo.

2. Glenn - I'm a Martin fan, but how can we be upset with this pick? Excellent value, excellent prospect. Very happy.

3. Graham - My least favorite pick this far. He's certainly a burner, but needs a lot of work for an early 3rd rounder. His hands seem so-so, fumble issues, and his blocking is bad. That being said, Chan seems thrilled to have him on the team, and I hope that Chan's right about him.

4. Bradham - Fantastic pick in round 4. Good physical specimen, plays with passion. I think he'll see significant time by years' end.

4. Brooks - Another pick I love. Watch him pop out on special teams play, and force his way onto the dime package.

5. Sanders - Another excellent pick, great value in the 5th. Great head on his shoulders, a lot of experience, glad to see another capable tackle who can play both sides.

5. Carder - Yet another pick I'm happy about. Great instincts, good tackler, Rose Bowl MVP. Can't believe he broke his back when he was a kid.

6. Asper - While some of us we're looking at McNutt with this pick, I am not terribly upset. I'm happy to see we're making a concerted effort to build a solid Oline, with good depth.

7. (will update once selection is made)

Agreed!!!!

7. (will update once selection is made)

Generally agree and I love our draft, but I have two reservations: I'm wondering if Carder (yes, Carder) and Asper can really hold up athletically in the NFL. But they were #5b and #6 picks, so they get benefit of the doubt.

Pretty much agree there. Every pick wound up being a position of need. Our first pick was the best available, the second was a steal that could have been taken 20 spots up, picks 4-6 all seem solid and our last few...well, it's late fifth to seventh so if they pan out, great. If they don't, oh well.

This was a great draft. We addressed every need we had, multiple times over in most cases. Nearly every pick from the south/SEC. Excellent character abounds. Buddy and Chan clearly got the exact players they wanted in rounds 1-3 and I trust their judgement over "experts" who are paid to have an opinion, not necessarily an accurate or accountable opinion.

Agreed a little concerned about Graham pick, but I am sure that Nix and Gailey have forgotten more about football then I have learned. They identified needs and filled them in this draft, Brooks and Glenn have to be my favorite picks of this draft.

Edited the first post to reflect the kicker, John Potter. Great name.

Overall, I come away confident from this draft. It's not "exciting," like many people who spend too much time on ESPN inevitably hope for, but it definitely fills needs with excellent prospects. Only Graham and Potter had me scratching my head. At the very least, however, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Graham's speed looks like on the Bills.

7. Potter - Interesting. I was convinced they were going to add another DE. I wanted a tall WR to develop. They catch us all off guard and draft a kicker, even though when Lindell went down we all realized just how stable he has been.

+1 I know i was hoping for McNutt. Im originally from iowa and watched him play over the last few years. He is still growing as a WR. I like the selection of Asper though.....we really have depth at the oline if all 3 pan out.

Excellent review. Spot on.

PTR

I think it's a pretty good draft- I'd probably taken Demario Davis LB in the Third, Marvin McNutt WR in the sixth, James Brown OT in the seventh.

Great draft but why pick a kicker in the 7th? I like what I read about all the picks except the WR from NC State. I live in NC and down here he's not viewed as a great player. Everyone else seems to have big time upside. Had they drafted a QB late, I be willing to give them an A but I'll grade it as a strong B.

I looked at the clips on Graham, and even though he is advertised as a burner/deep threat based on his speed, I saw enough of him running underneath stuff that I thought he looked at little like Welker. Maybe just a bad read....I should look again.

I'm happy with this draft except for the 7th pick... I would have loved to seen Kellen Moore be the guy... He really might have had a shot at making the team and not just the pratice squad!!

I hope he is an undrafted Free Agent pickup

1. Gilmore - I try very hard not to get attached to the names of players but what they actually bring to the team. Gilmore....6 foot 200 pound fast hard hitting corner.....to pair with our other of like attibutes in Aaron Williams.

2. Glenn - Id like toee Glenn lose about 20 pounds so get a little quicker laterally....but there is NO denying the talent....he is incrediblally powerful.....I would like to see the bills start Glenn off on the RT side this year and play Hairston on the LT. Then flip flop them the following year. This is not any knock on Glenn at all....it would allow him to break into the NFL slower while our coaches work with him on his footwork and knee bend while still being better then Pears.....the thought of Glenn and Hairston as our bookend OT's is so great.....big strong guys....Fitz will have more time.

3. Graham - Everybody wanted 6 foot 3 215 pound plus receivers in this draft.....but what people dont understand is we HAVE them on this team now in Hagan, Smith, and Easley. I am not even factoring Donald Jones into this equation as he is just not a playmaker. TJ isnt just fast....he is incredibally fast. Young Lee Evans fast. He def fills a need on this team as he takes the top off the defense. There had to be a reason why Nix took him so early....Nix never does anything without a reason.

4. Bradham - Athletic, speed, hitter, awesome

4. Brooks - To me Brooks kind of falls under what I call the "chandler rule" because TE chris chandler played behind all these great TE's he got overshadowed....but when given his chance he made the most of his opportunity.......Brooks size, speed, coverage....everything you look for in a corner.....we are starting to age at the corner spot and with this draft those replacements have restocked our corner stable for when the time comes to get rid of older players.

5. Sanders - You know the interesting thing about Sanders is when i was trying to figure out who we were going to get to improve our offensive lines....I was thinking we probably were going to be looking at this guy NOT Cordy Glenn because I didnt think Glen would be available.....as it turns out....we got BOTH of them.....Sanders can play either side.....and now with starters Glenn and Hairston you probably back up LT with Sanders and RT with Pears....we are SET at the OT postion.....since we dont have to look for veteran OL we can now concentrate on looking at the bigger wide receivers. Our offensive line is SET we have quality starters and reserves....JUST LIKE OUR DL......the injury bug will not ravage us this year like it has in the past.

5. Carder - FAST.....makes plays when it counts....allows us to have depth that wont kill us if they are used like reservs of previous years.......this is how you get better as a football team.....yes you need good starters...but you also need guy slike this BEHIND them that can step in without a noticble drop off in production. Very good pick.

6. Asper - I really cannot comment on this pick....this was a spot for a big WR in my mind or even the OG/OT Brown from Troy.

7. Potter - I am trying to remember the last time the bills took a kicker....a KICKER....drafting kickers to me is like a luxery pick...they usually are very good at what they do but you need to use it on a special teams/developmental player. This was a great pick and it showed me the bills are further along then people realize. Man...this kid looks young in his photo

Overall....love the draft strategy.....starters with proven work, coming from big schools, There are no flashy picks here but they all make sense in one way or the other. We could have went offensive heavy in this draft since we put so much money in free agency on the defensive side....but we didnt....we continued to improve the defense if that was the best player on the board at the time.......we got at least 2 day 1 starters......several quality reserves and special teams guys......and a KICKER.

That's the spirit John, nice full analysis!

2. Glenn - Id like toee Glenn lose about 20 pounds so get a little quicker laterally....but there is NO denying the talent....he is incrediblally powerful.....I would like to see the bills start Glenn off on the RT side this year and play Hairston on the LT. Then flip flop them the following year. This is not any knock on Glenn at all....it would allow him to break into the NFL slower while our coaches work with him on his footwork and knee bend while still being better then Pears.....the thought of Glenn and Hairston as our bookend OT's is so great.....big strong guys....Fitz will have more time.

We share much of the same sentiment, but I would hope they don't play Glenn at RT. I too want to see him get down to 325, but I feel like he should be coached to play LT right from the get go. If he kicks out to RT, I think it may just be delaying his development. With the play of Pears last year, I don't see a ned to put him over there. Let Hairston and Glenn battle it out for LT. Give Sanders time on both sides. Just some thoughts...

Gilmore -- Very good player and pick. Ultimately, having him teamed with Williams and Brooks as a slot guy makes the future quite bright for the CBs. I think he will be a fan favorite for his hits, blitzes from the edge and run support. Has a chance to be great but a long way to go. Leodis had a chance to be great, too, and he just didn't do it.

Glenn -- Best pick of the draft by far. I think he starts at LT game one, making Hairston the back up swing tackle, where he probably belongs. I think the Bills think of him as a LT all along. It took him awhile but the last few games, the Championship game, the Senior Bowl practices and game make him look like a potential stud LT to me. The Bills OL coach may be able to do wonders for him.

Graham -- My least favorite choice. Love his speed and attitude but he will need to limit drops and make teams pay for not covering him with a safety. That remains to be seen. He is the Evans replacement and may prove valuable but I am skeptical. If Easley, however, can become the starting #2 and Graham becomes just another weapon on packages with various combinations of Stevie, Easley, Nelson, Chandler, Freddy, CJ and Brad Smith, watch out. We could really be dynamic. I don't see enough of Graham being a consistent #2 threat though. Would love to see it.

Bradham -- looks like an excellent fourth round pick, especially for his coverage skills and his ST play. A killer with character. Probably would get abused if forced into a starting role but any 4th rounder would. Has a good future. Very good value and choice.

Brooks -- Brooks and Sanders fall into the same category to me. They are great choices only because another rookie at the same position was taken ahead of them. If the Bills took Brooks and expected him to play on the outside, it would be risky. But I love the kid as a slot guy and as our #4 or #5 CB this year. Down the road he could be a very valuable player. Already good on ST. I think will be a fan favorite. Way better talent then the two guys who preceded him in Reggie Corner and Justin Rogers as the dime back.

Sanders -- great pick because we had Glenn. If we expected him to be our savior at LT it would be a huge risk. But the fact we have Glenn who will start right away IMO, and Hairston as the back-up, will allow Sanders to be the #4 guy, gain some experience and strength without being thrown to the wolves, and could develop into a strong starting caliber swing tackle in two years. This was a great pick as a developmental guy and suddenly our future at OT is the best it has been in 20 years.

Carder -- The middle picks were awesome, IMO. Love the kid. Nice depth. He needs to develop a little. I expect him to be a ST demon. I absolutely love the attitude and character of every single one of these picks.

Asper -- Didn't like this one but can be stashed on the PS and if he turns into a decent back-up and we can't sign all three OGs above him then it could be a decent choice.

The kicker -- unless they already decided they would take up a roster spot for this guy, which I don't think we can afford to do looking at our roster, this doesn't make any sense.

Overall I love this draft. We potentially filled a lot of holes. We may have lucked out that Glenn and Martin were available. I love that both of them, as well as Adams, were all available so we know for certain that Glenn was their first choice and not the fallback, The LBs were drafted were big needs. I didnt want a bunch of corners but I like the ones we took. Nix is building a solid team, and I'm digging it.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

We share much of the same sentiment, but I would hope they don't play Glenn at RT. I too want to see him get down to 325, but I feel like he should be coached to play LT right from the get go. If he kicks out to RT, I think it may just be delaying his development. With the play of Pears last year, I don't see a ned to put him over there. Let Hairston and Glenn battle it out for LT. Give Sanders time on both sides. Just some thoughts...

I dont see where playing him on the RT side would delay his development....if anything it should give him a more comfortable position while they work on refining his technique in practice.....

Its all about putting the best OL on the field.....now that Hairston and Glenn are here? Pears is no longer the best linemen. Pears is actually a little weak in the run game.....and I want to pound the rock.

The OL prospects will take some time to shape up, which is why the fell as far down as they all did. This year all I expect is depth from all, but would like to see Glenn starting at some point.

Asper - can start very quickly; he is 27, but Gs can play for a long time. Gailey expects him to be an OT/OG.

Glenn - may not beat out Hairston to being with, he only has 16 games as an LT under his belt. As the season progresses, Glenn should continue to get better.

Sanders - will provide good depth at T, but again take some time to develop.

Going into next season I expect the OL prospects to be big contributors. With Livtre, Urbik & Reinhart up next year, I doubt all will get resigned at most 2 will. Getting these guys now fills those 1 or 2 holes and allows us to find other mid to late round unpolished backups.

Gilmore - Will be a great CB. I honestly expect him to turn out better than Claiborne. He did A LOT with a worse D than Claiborne had.

Brooks - is going to be a hidden gem. He didn't get a lot of playing time behind Patrick Peterson and Claiborne, but the kid can play. He will be the Nickel or Dime guy almost immediately. He has the size and the speed. I am anxious to see how this kid develops.

LBs - Both have good speed, sure tacklers and should be fine playing in zone - which is what our outside LBs do. IMO I stand by saying that Kuechly would be a waste for us with our system. We got 2 players who will give us what Kuechly would have in our system...

As an NC State grade I watched almost every NC State game the last several years. Graham is going to work out okay with some coaching. He's got speed, he can get open over the middle in the 10-15 yd range and he's not bad on special teams (returns). The film clip from the Cinncy game last year isn't all that representative of his talents. State got beat like a read headed step child and every one looked bad that night...on national TV no less....

:thumbsup:

I dont see where playing him on the RT side would delay his development....if anything it should give him a more comfortable position while they work on refining his technique in practice.....

Its all about putting the best OL on the field.....now that Hairston and Glenn are here? Pears is no longer the best linemen. Pears is actually a little weak in the run game.....and I want to pound the rock.

Respect your opinion as always

but

I am wondering why the pick of Glenn in any way pushes Hairston to the bench....it doesn't.....it eventually moves Chris to his more natural position of RT....folks should keep in mind that they are talking about keeping PEARS in the lineup by pushing Hairston to a backup position.....Hairston is a better OT right now then Pears is......he has just as good feet, is more naturally powerfull, and has great length.....Pears had to beef up to get over 300 pounds to play that RT side...Hairston is a natural 315 pounder if he is in superb shape and a mauler as a run blocker

This whole line is shaping up as a mauling run blocking line now.....which will become important when we are trying to protect leads and in December

John from Hemet, on 28 April 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Respect your opinion as always

You sly dog, you! Respecting your own opinion? Awesome. :worthy:

That being said, I agree I think we eventually see a line of: Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Hairston

Edited by NickelCity

Buddy's answers at the presser for those who asked:

Asper - Brought in to be a backup G/C

Potter - Kickoff specialist. Buddy wants someone who can kick the ball through the goalpost consistently to guarantee less wear and tear on our coverage guys and to ensure solid field position

Potter - Kickoff specialist. Buddy wants someone who can kick the ball through the goalpost consistently to guarantee less wear and tear on our coverage guys and to ensure solid field position

I hadn't listened to the presser's yet. When the pcik was made Bills.com tweeted Gailey said Asper would be OT/OG. Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

I hate to use a roster spot on a kick off specialist....

1. Gilmore – A lot of fans didn’t like this pick, but it was the correct one to make. When you look at our CBs matched up against a base offense, things don’t look so bad. But when you match our CBs up against 4 and 5 WR sets, it looks like a train wreck, complete with Leodis running around with his hair on fire. I also heard the chants of Leodis 2.0. Leodis played at Troy, this kid played in the SEC against Julio Jones and A.J. Green. He is most definitely not Leodis 2.0. CBs are never a sexy pick, you don’t get to see much of them on TV, and if they do their job right you don’t hear their name get called. I heard of lot of talk about matching a fast LB up with Gronk. Hah! There isn’t a LB in the league that can cover Gronk - you need a large agile CB to even attempt it. This is that guy. I don’t see him as a week 1 starter, but I do see him taking over the starting job before the bye week. Great pick.

2. Glenn – This is the make-or-break pick of the draft. A few weeks ago there were a lot of people on this forum suggesting we take him or Martin 10th overall. There were also a lot of crazy schemes detailing how we could draft back up into the first round to get him. Nix called this one perfect – he knew the value wasn’t there and patiently waited (we even had our choice of Martin). Moody thinks this guy has the feet and size to be a starting LT in the NFL. He noted that he improved every single week his senior season and he can control his weight and will play at whatever size they want him to (he played his junior year at 320 but was asked to move up to 345). In his phone interview he mentioned he was stoked because he went to a team that wants him to play LT. So forget all the talk you are hearing about him starting at G or RT, this kid will compete with Hairston from Day 1 of training camp for the starting LT job. Whether he wins the job or not will probably determine how successful this draft was. For the record, I think he will win it and I love this pick.

3. Graham – I have no idea who this guy is, and there are also a lot of NC fans who don’t know who he is either. No doubt he is a burner and was drafted to stretch the D. Chan said he’s not a slot receiver and expects him to play outside. That tells me that he probably won’t be an every down player, and we’ll still be playing roulette with the dozen or so #2 receivers we have (it seems like a dozen). Hopefully he becomes the fast offensive threat we are missing, but at his size I don’t think you will see him going over the middle anytime soon.

Another note about this pick is that we made the bizarre move of trading up one spot. For a front office that doesn’t make draft day trades, this was truly odd. Luckily, the Jags immediately embarrassed themselves by taking a kicker right after us, so I think our wacky move was overlooked by the rest of the country. Anyhow, you won’t see me asking for this front office to make any more draft day moves in the near future. Not sold on this pick, but it will be exciting to see what happens.

4. Bradham – Perfect fit for us and the perfect spot to take him. He gives us the depth and flexibility we need at OLB. Solid pick.

4. Brooks – I think Nix wanted Boykins, but Philly grabbed him right before us. This guy would probably be a starter on any other college squad besides LSU. There is a high ceiling with this kid, he could even become a starting CB someday. Solid pick.

5. Sanders – Sanders was projected to go a lot earlier, anywhere from rounds 2 – 4. We got tremendous value here. He’s a bit of a project, but can play either left or right tackle and should be a valuable addition to the depth of our OL. Buddy said he wanted 2 corners and 2 tackles and he got them. Great pick.

5. Carder – This guy’s a fan favorite, and if you Google his name and read his story you will know why. He’s quite a character. The kid broke his back, and when his mother asked him what he was going to do if he was confined to a wheelchair, he told her he was going to win the Wheelchair Olympics. He’s going to be an absolute maniac on special teams, and adds some depth to our LB unit. Good pick.

6. Asper - I have no idea who this is, so I can’t really comment. Like many people here, I would have liked to take a gamble on McNutt or Streeter. Maybe he can backup center as well as guard?

7. Potter – Don’t know anything about him either. Why not take a project QB or any other position player here, then sign Potter as an UDFA? Was the demand for him so high that we were scared we wouldn’t be able to sign him? Odd.

I like to think of myself as a levelheaded fan, and my initial thoughts on this draft as a whole are very good. I think we got 2 long-term starters with our first 2 picks, and I think you will see some production from Brooks, Carder and Bradham right away as well. One last thing to point out is that all of our picks seem to be high character players with great attitudes. As a fan you have to love that.

Edited by QCity

1. Gilmore – A lot of fans didn’t like this pick, but it was the correct one to make. When you look at our CBs matched up against a base offense, things don’t look so bad. But when you match our CBs up against 4 and 5 WR sets, it looks like a train wreck, complete with Leodis running around with his hair on fire. I also heard the chants of Leodis 2.0. Leodis played at Troy, this kid played in the SEC against Julio Jones and A.J. Green. He is most definitely not Leodis 2.0. CBs are never a sexy pick, you don’t get to see much of them on TV, and if they do their job right you don’t hear their name get called. I heard of lot of talk about matching a fast LB up with Gronk. Hah! There isn’t a LB in the league that can cover Gronk - you need a large agile CB to even attempt it. This is that guy. I don’t see him as a week 1 starter, but I do see him taking over the starting job before the bye week. Great pick.

Nice write-up Q.

Several things:

1) I'm not sure Graham's size is as diminutive as some think. While he is a bit slight of frame, he's 5'11" and change, and can breaks tackles occasionally. Not tackles from head on, but from people behind him jumping at his legs as he tries to separate from them. Certainly needs to learn how to block.

2) I would have said Glenn was 'make-or-break,' but with Hairston and Sanders also young tackles, I think one of the three will simply have to pan out. Hairston looks good right now, Glenn has the looks of a fantastic tackle, and Sanders has a great head on his shoulders.

3) It was the Jags who got weird and took a punter right after us in round 3. Astonishing.

Edited by NickelCity

I hadn't listened to the presser's yet. When the pcik was made Bills.com tweeted Gailey said Asper would be OT/OG. Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

I hate to use a roster spot on a kick off specialist....

If Asper could longsnap too, I'd love the addition of him and Potter (and lose Sandborn).

If Asper could longsnap too, I'd love the addition of him and Potter (and lose Sandborn).

Does Asper have any sort of longsnapping experience? It's well known that Sanborn will never be a 'franchise' guy, just a very good number 2. If Asper can nail this down then we can finally make a championship run, and stop focusing on this 'just getting to the playoffs' nonsense.

Does Asper have any sort of longsnapping experience? It's well known that Sanborn will never be a 'franchise' guy, just a very good number 2. If Asper can nail this down then we can finally make a championship run, and stop focusing on this 'just getting to the playoffs' nonsense.

Well I take exception to that comment… what exactly is your definition of a franchise long snapper?

Would you concede that Sanborn is at least top 10? Doesn't that make him a franchise snapper?

Could be a better Draft than last year - and that was a pretty good Draft for The Bills.

2011				2012
1 M. Dareus                	S. Gilmore
2 A. Williams 			C. Glenn
3 K. Shepherd 			TJ Graham
4 D. Searcy, C. Hairston 	N. Bradham, R. Brooks
5 J. White                      Z. Sanders, T. Carder
6 C. White                      M. Asper
7 J. Rogers                     J. Potter

Edited by Nanker