Kiper's Round 2 Mock

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Give that kid a year in a professional nutritional and training program and he's gonna be a fixture at LT. He can move for a man his size. He's got them "athletic feet" or something like whatever Whaley mentioned recently.

I wouldn't be too upset.

GO BILLS!!!

Don Banks seems to agree:

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/writers/don_banks/04/27/2012.nfl.draft.second.round.mock/index.html

Bills

OT

Jonathan Martin

Stanford

Sr. 6-6 304

Bills GM Buddy Nix kept talking about needing to come away with a starting left offensive tackle in this draft, and it only took him one round longer than was first expected.

I wouldn't hate it, but I think we need a WR more than T, IMO.

Tim-

but i think we can get a real wr in the 3rd, and dont feel the same about tackle - if we are talking filling need. the wr in the 3rd might be closer to ready than whichever OT is there in the second even.

His quote is way off base. Buddy has said that we want to add 2 tackles for depth and that they love Chris Hairston as the starer at LT. He never once said we need a starting LT from this draft. I would be happy with this pick, but Banks needs to check his factual accuracy.

but i think we can get a real wr in the 3rd, and dont feel the same about tackle - if we are talking filling need. the wr in the 3rd might be closer to ready than whichever OT is there in the second even.

For the first time in a long time, I feel ho hum about the order of the picks. I think this is a good thing. Yes we could use an OT, yes we could use another WR, yes we could use a CB etc.. I just don't think we're in dire staits for any single position this year, and BPA (Although rather cliche) seems the best approach. I'd prefer Hill over Martin, but like I said I wouldn't mach on 1BD if Nix took him.. :)

Tim-

Here come the Martin fans... I for one am not one... I wouldn't mind WR or even LB. But if we must go with tackle I take Glenn over Martin in a bird's heartbeat.

Agree, I like the kid from North Carolina, OLB43, Zack Brown! A real nice front seven with this addition.

Edited by TAinLA

His quote is way off base. Buddy has said that we want to add 2 tackles for depth and that they love Chris Hairston as the starer at LT. He never once said we need a starting LT from this draft. I would be happy with this pick, but Banks needs to check his factual accuracy.

We may not need a starting LT but you can bet if we get one he will be plugged right in. Hairston can play either side. I think he is better than Pears. If we get Martin we know what the starting O-line should look like, Pears will be good depth.

We may not need a starting LT but you can bet if we get one he will be plugged right in. Hairston can play either side. I think he is better than Pears. If we get Martin we know what the starting O-line should look like, Pears will be good depth.

Didn't they just re-sign Pears for decent money?

I think the Bills like Hairston at LT but might sign Martin to compete. Either way, we'd have some depth if Pears or Hairston went down. We can't do the Levitre to tackle experiment again.

Agreed. My point was that Banks completed mis-stated what Nix has said all along. Nix never said we needed to come away with a starter at LT.

I get why Martin dropped but IMO, he is the perfect new NFL LT. He's agile with good foot and very smart (recruit by Harvard where he would be a 4th generation Harvard legacy). He's not a brawler but you really don't need those LTs anymore.

There is a ton of talent left in this draft. It makes grading the 1st rounder even less important.

The kid needs to get some more strength.

Agreed...But it's not only that...He's not a great athlete, and he does not have great size...Just look at Martin...He looks like a blow up TE...He needs at least a full year, maybe two of NFL conditioning...I don't think his smarts-alone are going to get him by in the NFL while he gets bigger and stronger...I think he's much better suited, body-wise, to move in to Center...He certainly has the smarts for it...

I like Martin the Kid, but not so much the LT prospect...I think he's WAY, way over-rated... B-)

Which WR will be in the third? Randle, Hill, Jeffery will be long gone.

I get why Martin dropped but IMO, he is the perfect new NFL LT. He's agile with good foot and very smart (recruit by Harvard where he would be a 4th generation Harvard legacy). He's not a brawler but you really don't need those LTs anymore.

There is a ton of talent left in this draft. It makes grading the 1st rounder even less important.

How does Harvard "recruit"?

Agreed...But it's not only that...He's not a great athlete, and he does not have great size...Just look at Martin...He looks like a blow up TE...He needs at least a full year, maybe two of NFL conditioning...I don't think his smarts-alone are going to get him by in the NFL while he gets bigger and stronger...I think he's much better suited, body-wise, to move in to Center...He certainly has the smarts for it...

I like Martin the Kid, but not so much the LT prospect...I think he's WAY, way over-rated... B-)

Wang 2.0!!! :bag:

Tend to agree on the pumped up TE body type. That's why I wish we could trade up for Glenn. That guy's a brick schithouse who can still move well.

Every time Buddy or any Bills scout has talked OT, they've emphasized length and mass. If you're big enough, pass rushers have to spend an extra tenth of a second running around you, which makes all the difference to the QB. Glenn (or Massie) fits that profile, so I'm hoping they'd be bold enough to go up and get him...

Absolutely this. If Glenn or Adams drops, I'm fine with them.

Lets look at LB's or WR's if the above aren't there.

Martin IS a left tackle he needs to be in a weight conditioning program.

I think he is the perfect pick in the 2nd round....and no we dont need a WR more then we need a OT. you can find WR's. Starting caliber LT's are hard to find.

this.

Which WR will be in the third? Randle, Hill, Jeffery will be long gone.

How does Harvard "recruit"?

Obviously, you weren't Harvard football material. Being a person who was recruited by Harvard (humblebrag), let me explain. Harvard recruits exactly the same as D1 schools. They have a chart called the athletes index which breaks down recruits based on SAT and GPA. The level you fall in means how likely you are to get into the school.

You don't get scholarship but you certainly get generous financial packages if you are an athlete. If you are a fringe D1 player and get recruited by the Ivys, you'd be stupid not to go. They is some good football being played as well.

I think most are selling Hairesten [me bad spell] short. He has had another year to improve and afew starts. He might make a giant leap this year. I like him alot. He didn't play bad at all LY when he started afew games in a row. He might be the guy.

I'm hoping for Alshon Jeffrey in the 2nd round. I don't belive some of what I've read about him re: separation. He's big, wily, and catches everything.

I think that Buddy will go WR in round 2 and it'll be either Jeffery or Quick.

There's a reason Buddy didn't grade the tackles as first rounders and if you're a second round or later LT you're not a starter.

Maybe they look for a backup tackle in the third or fourth round and sign the LT from San Diego that just got cut.

More WR's on the roster than OL. T is a need of position. Good WR's can be had in the 3rd.

There's a reason Buddy didn't grade the tackles as first rounders and if you're a second round or later LT you're not a starter.

See Hairston, 4th rounder.

I meant that they will pick a guy to develop as a possible starting LT in the third or fourth. They will use the second rounder for a (hopefully) starting WR opposite Stevie in 2012.

Martin or Glenn are both going to need some conditioning to be LT.

Glenn needs to drop some weight and thus this hopefully helps his footwork and quickness.

Martin needs to get stronger and more physical.

Given what Buffalo has been able to do with guys recently(Peters, and Bell) maybe Martin is the guy?

I am a huge UGA fan and have been a strong proponnent of Glenn's for awhile, but i started thinking more about it.

You can make someone stronger, can you make someone have quicker feet? Be faster then what they are? I am really asking.

The one thing that makes Glenn a little safer is you can always slide him down to gaurd.

If Glenn is gone and Martin is there and Buddy takes him, i would not be upset.

Martin is a much better starting product then either Bell or Peters was.

Just my two cents, and i was using logic and reason, which usually gets you in trouble in here.

Wang 2.0!!! :bag:

Tend to agree on the pumped up TE body type. That's why I wish we could trade up for Glenn. That guy's a brick schithouse who can still move well.

Every time Buddy or any Bills scout has talked OT, they've emphasized length and mass. If you're big enough, pass rushers have to spend an extra tenth of a second running around you, which makes all the difference to the QB. Glenn (or Massie) fits that profile, so I'm hoping they'd be bold enough to go up and get him...

Exactly! :thumbsup:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.