Luke Kuechly discussion

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like a lot of posters think it would be a mistake for Buffalo to draft Kuechly at #10. There's a good article on Espn right now about the linebacker so see if this changes your mind?

Kuechly

Are you convinced?

Not really. Care more about whether he can cover Tight Ends and Running Backs. It's a passing league. Rather have a guy like David from Nebraska than a tackling machine like Kuechly.

It seems like a lot of posters think it would be a mistake for Buffalo to draft Kuechly at #10. There's a good article on Espn right now about the linebacker so see if this changes your mind?

Kuechly

Are you convinced?

My mind has already been changed. This kid is a player. In the article they compare him to Zach Thomas who had a ton of success under wanny. Also mentions that he played wlb so he is not only a mlb. I think a stud lb would finish the d rebuild with depth needed only. Like this kid he has the dreaded high motor moniker but he also has talent which is a great combo. He also seems like a kid that will react well to getting money instead of getting lazy.

Not really. Care more about whether he can cover Tight Ends and Running Backs. It's a passing league. Rather have a guy like David from Nebraska than a tackling machine like Kuechly.

I don't disagree at all that David seems like he will be solid but don't discount Kuechly's coverage ability. He's a tackling machine and can cover!

"Kuechly has an incredible nose for the ball and is one of the most fundamentally-sound tacklers in the business. His instincts are second to none and those make him a solid pass defender"

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2898

1. Luke Kuechly (6-3, 242 pounds), Boston College. Kuechly is the best coverage linebacker to come into the NFL in many years.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-04/nfl-draft-2012-best-linebackers-luke-kuechly-donta-hightower#ixzz1rqR8vi8l

My concern with David is his size, we have safeties that are his size. Most scouts believe he's reached his max. that said, he's very talented and wouldn't be sad if he ends up in buffalo.

Until Kuechly comes in for a visit, I won't even consider him as an option to be drafted by the Bills. You look at the past two years and the Bills clearly only bring in 1st round players who they plan on drafting as they did with both Spiller and Dareus.

From the look of the current Bills' visit list, I think Buddy has his eyes on Kalil or Blackmon in a trade up, or pick either Kirkpatrick or Glenn at #10.

Kuechly is the first person they talk about in this video on nfl.com ( http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8283e3a5/Mike-Mayock-s-top-100-players-preview?module=HP11_content_stream ). Mayock says "I think he's the best pure zone-drop pass LB I've ever seen on tape. What usually knocks inside LBs down is their inability to stay on the field for three plays. It's the opposite for Kuechly. He will excel in sub-packages. His only issue is every once in a while, he'll get covered up in the run game by a big body...I have him #6 on my board."

Depending on the type of D that Wanny installs, Kuechly could be exactly the kind of LB that Wanny needs. However, man coverage? I don't know, I haven't heard much about his man coverage skills.

And his birthday is 4/20. Just sayin'...

I mean, so the draft is six days after his b-day. What better gift could a guy get than becoming a Buffalo Bill? If he is the coverage linebacker some say he will be, can't be a bad pick at 10. Me likey. :thumbsup:

Until Kuechly comes in for a visit, I won't even consider him as an option to be drafted by the Bills. You look at the past two years and the Bills clearly only bring in 1st round players who they plan on drafting as they did with both Spiller and Dareus.

From the look of the current Bills' visit list, I think Buddy has his eyes on Kalil or Blackmon in a trade up, or pick either Kirkpatrick or Glenn at #10.

Yeah, I'm with you on your point. Only those with visits are potential Bills draftees.

Mayock thinks he's one of the best LBs in pass coverage he's seen in a while. FWIW.

I think Mayock may be the best in the business but what ever he says about BC players you have to take with a grain of salt due to those rose colored glasses he wears while watching BC tape.

That being said Kuechly is starting to grow on me.

Edited by qwksilver

I still think my ideal scenario is the dolphins moving up to three to take tannehil, vikings drop to 8. Bills move up to 7 (Jacksonville is said to be looking to move back), we take Kalil. Can't imagine we give up more then a 4th to move up three spots

Buffalo had Nick Barnett, 6'2", 228 lbs at wlb last year. Barnett is plus 30 and was released by GB because of frequent injuries. We were lucky to have had his services for all of last year. Can we count on having that luck this coming season?

Buddy said we need linebackers and more than one. Kuechly is the best cover corner in the draft and led the nation last year in tackles. Why not select Kuechly at #10 and David at #41? Suddenly Buffalo's D become very Brady unfriendly.

Chris White Version 2.0.

I hope you're not serious.

In my opinion, Kuechly would not be a reach if the Bills picked him at #10. The question is....where would he play on our defense? Barnett and Sheppard, by all accounts, seem to be firmly entrenched at the Will and Mike LB positions. They just re-signed Morrison, and it has been stated that he is the front runner to start at the Sam LB position. I would be disappointed if we drafted a player at #10, and he was not starting week 1. That's why I think WR or LT makes more sense in the 1st round.

From the clips of him that are out there, he looks to be a very hard working and disciplined player , but his athletic ability (including coverage) doesn't flash out at my like a top 10-15 pick should. I'd be scared to end up with him at 10. I think Glenn, in comparison shows flashes of un-coachable talent.

WR and LT and even CB are much higher need than MLB. Need to add a couple of LB's later in the draft but not at #10. Would rather have Decastro if going to go with BPA at #10 if people feel the LT's are reaches at #10.

But if our options at those other positions are subpar, wouldn't you rather take a near "sure thing" at LB?

I just think drafting WR Floyd, LT Reiff, Martin or CB Kirkpatrick comes with a whole lot more risk.

Kuechly

Are you convinced?

It doesn't change my mind as I was already convinced. The only problem is that he is listed at MLB. Wansted has already said that Sheppard is his guy at that spot. That being said I don't have much doubt Keuchly could play OLB with all of his speed and skill.

Some have mentioned that we play nickel defense quite a bit but with a guy like this we might be able to stay in our base defense as he can cover TEs and defend the run. If we stay in our base defense more Keuchly might be able to cover the likes of Gronkowski and Hernandez considering our expected much improved pass rush.

WR and LT and even CB are much higher need than MLB. Need to add a couple of LB's later in the draft but not at #10. Would rather have Decastro if going to go with BPA at #10 if people feel the LT's are reaches at #10.

If we get him I assume he going to play OLB because Wanny likes Sheppard. WR, LT and "possibly" CB are just as big needs but we likely have a plethora of 3-4 LBs that might not fit in the new 4-3 scheme. As Nix said we need LBs and more than one.

And his birthday is 4/20. Just sayin'...

I mean, so the draft is six days after his b-day. What better gift could a guy get than becoming a Buffalo Bill? If he is the coverage linebacker some say he will be, can't be a bad pick at 10. Me likey. :thumbsup:

Great, that's my birthday! Now I HAVE to like him. Hey, it is also Don Mattingly's bday. There was no greater feeling being s kid and flipping over your favorite player's baseball card to learn he has the same bday as you. :)

But if our options at those other positions are subpar, wouldn't you rather take a near "sure thing" at LB?

I just think drafting WR Floyd, LT Reiff, Martin or CB Kirkpatrick comes with a whole lot more risk.

I don't see much risk with Floyd on the field. If his alcohol issues, which any one of us on this board could have gotten caught for, are behind him. I not only have no worries about Floyd I would be ecstatic that he fell to us and we picked him. Give Fitz a real #2 not the bums we had playing the spot last season. I like Nelson and have big hopes for Easely if he can ever get on the field but Floyd is a day 1 starter at the very least a #3 and quite possibly a #2 if we have the same injuries we seem to have every year.

The only guy on our roster that I feel is worthy of being a #2 is Easely and as mentioned he has yet to play a regular season down for us. Floyd would be such a good fit.

Edited by PDaDdy

I don't see much risk with Floyd on the field. If his alcohol issues, which any one of us on this board could have gotten caught for, are behind him. I not only have no worries about Floyd I would be ecstatic that he fell to us and we picked him. Give Fitz a real #2 not the bums we had playing the spot last season. I like Nelson and have big hopes for Easely if he can ever get on the field but Floyd is a day 1 starter at the very least a #3 and quite possibly a #2 if we have the same injuries we seem to have every year.

The only guy on our roster that I feel is worthy of being a #2 is Easely and as mentioned he has yet to play a regular season down for us. Floyd would be such a good fit.

I just think its hard to predict a WRs success in general. It seems like there have been soo many "sure thing" wideouts that dont pan out. Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams (thank you lions), Ted Ginn Jr, Braylon Edwards, Michael Crabtree... just to name some off the top of my head.

From the clips of him that are out there, he looks to be a very hard working and disciplined player , but his athletic ability (including coverage) doesn't flash out at my like a top 10-15 pick should. I'd be scared to end up with him at 10. I think Glenn, in comparison shows flashes of un-coachable talent.

If Glenn's talent isn't coachable, why would we want him? The last thing we need is a renegade LT.

Agreed. From the article:

The knock on Kuechly at the time was that he was a tweener -- too slow to play safety in college and too small to be an immediate starter at linebacker -- but he still impressed people as a football player.

If he's too slow to be a college safety, how is he supposed to cover NFL TEs one-on-one?

I'll grant that he's a good tackler, has great instincts, a good competitor, and a good football player. I'd like to see him in a Bills uniform. But 10th overall is much too high a price to pay for what he can provide on passing downs. When deciding what to do with the 10th overall pick, you need to think with your head, not with your heart. However much I may like the guy and the attitude and competitiveness he brings, I just don't see how he could possibly provide 10th overall value to the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

The knock on Kuechly at the time was that he was a tweener -- too slow to play safety in college and too small to be an immediate starter at linebacker -- but he still impressed people as a football player.

If he's too slow to be a college safety, how is he supposed to cover NFL TEs one-on-one?

I'll grant that he's a good tackler, has great instincts, a good competitor, and a good football player. I'd like to see him in a Bills uniform. But 10th overall is much too high a price to pay for what he can provide on passing downs. When deciding what to do with the 10th overall pick, you need to think with your head, not with your heart. However much I may like the guy and the attitude and competitiveness he brings, I just don't see how he could possibly provide 10th overall value to the Buffalo Bills.

He ran a 4.58 at the combine which was 4th fastest among LBs. He's considered the best LB in pass coverage of the past few drafts. How is his speed still a concern?

Why do people keep making this mistake? He ended up in the middle at BC but he can play ANY LB POSITION IN A 4-3. Your right, we don't need a MLB, but OLB is a much higher position of need, and he could very well be the BPA when we're on the board. Just because it's not a position of need, doesn't mean we won't take him. See the Spiller pick.

Too slow for a safety normally means not fast enough to match up against WRs. All too often these days, you see a safety lining up over a WR and is expected to cover him. If he has the cover skills of a corner, but plays like a LB, then I honestly don't see any problems with him covering any TE.

You obviously don't know much about Kuechly. I really hope the Bills take him.

Chris White Version 2.0.

LOL!!!!!! What can you say to this kind of stupidity??

There have been rumors that the Bills were looking for a hybrid LB/ safety to eventually replace Scott.

This guy certainly appears to fit the Bill (no pun intented).

I sure hope that he's not the Tim Tebow of LB's....

The comment about him being too slow for safety and too small for a LB was a _perception_ when he was an incoming HIGH-SCHOOL player, before he even played a single college game. He obviously proved he was large enough, and fast enough to excel. Not just excel but get 158 tackles for SECOND in the nation as a "too small, too slow" freshman!

You can doubt him (I've never seen him play) but don't rely on that quote for your justification.