My question on OT Martin.....while he needs some strength

I view Johnathan Martin as a OT who needs to be in a NFL conditioning program...but has all the tools to be a NFL left tackle.....

I am trying to figure out in my mind just the way this is all going to go.....

- The bills may or may not believe Hairston is the answer

- It looks like there will be some quality wide outs available to us in the 2nd round

- Martin IS considered a 1st round LOT.....whether he is a 10th pick LT I am not sure....

- We could in fact use a quality corner as well...but we did extend Mgee and drafted Williams last year...Rogers has some potential...and our pass rush is considerable improved.

- We extended Pears....we are solid and have depth from guard to guard.....Levitre CAN play LT but has short arms and is better at LG

I am basing all of this on if Nix cannot find a trade down partner...if he can trade down (and we dont get raped in the compensation) that is my obvious first choice....but lets say for sake of arguement that he cannot trade down and HAS to pick at 10.

Would folks be upset to see Martin at 10 and a guy like Jeffrey or Sanu at the 2nd pick?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I would be disappointed with those picks; yes somebody thinks Martin won't turn into a quality starter.

The first two days of the Bills draft should go like this:

Day One (Round 1, #10 overall) - David Decastro, RG/C/OT, Stanford

Day Two (Round 2, #41 overall) - Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Day Two (Round 3, #71 overall) - Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game!" - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :thumbsup:

I think Martin is the direction that the Bills will go in if he is available.

The Bills have been lucky to find tackles in later rounds, but generally Left Tackles go very early in the draft.

From the report I read on mocking the draft from last year, Martin's strength and power is in his legs not his arms. Nix said there are two or three players would could start at left tackle, and I don't think David Decastro can.

2011 martin draft prospect notes

I understanding fans wanting a flashy player like Floyd, but I do not understand why some people would rather the Bills draft a guard higher than drafting a tackle.

Also, a left tackle will allow the Bills to draft a quarterback next year if Fitz doesn't work out. Plus, how are the wide receivers going to catch passes if the quarterback is always injured, with let's just say broken ribs?

nobody thinks he's out of shape, just not strong enough. Plus I'm not sure he has elite LT athleticsm either. His selection wouldn't dissapoint me, but I do believe we wait til round 2 and still land a very similar prospect like Zebrie Sanders........

Yes I would be disappointed with those picks; yes somebody thinks Martin won't turn into a quality starter.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Hill is off the board in the first round.

I view Johnathan Martin as a OT who needs to be in a NFL conditioning program...but has all the tools to be a NFL left tackle.....

- It looks like there will be some quality wide outs available to us in the 2nd round

- Martin IS considered a 1st round LOT.....whether he is a 10th pick LT I am not sure....

- We could in fact use a quality corner as well...but we did extend Mgee and drafted Williams last year...Rogers has some potential...and our pass rush is considerable improved.

- We extended Pears....we are solid and have depth from guard to guard.....Levitre CAN play LT but has short arms and is better at LG

I am basing all of this on if Nix cannot find a trade down partner...if he can trade down (and we dont get raped in the compensation) that is my obvious first choice....but lets say for sake of arguement that he cannot trade down and HAS to pick at 10.

Would folks be upset to see Martin at 10 and a guy like Jeffrey or Sanu at the 2nd pick?

Upset...no But I just think at # 10 your pick needs to contribute and make a difference. Can we say that about Martin? Maybe we resign Bell and bring Martin along slow i'd be more comfortable with that but that leads me back to immediate impact. The WR in the second round is not as critical to me because WR's have a longer learning curve so whoever the pick is there probably won't do a whole lot anyway year one.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

I don't see the OT position with Decastro but what flexability a player like him would bring including center if Wood goes down. Decastro will be the best player on the board at 10. If he's there.

My impression was that Stanford had a very intense conditioning program. If this is the case, I'd be concerned about Martin. Plenty smart, but does he have the drive to become a physical force?

I agree....this bench press weakness is pretty amazing to me. I have OT/OL friends who put up double those numbers without flinching. I am concerned he will get steamrolled by the monster De's in the NFL.

Good question. I would say, based on what Nix has said in the media, that we're going to look at something other than LT in round 1 and let Hairston be the starter going into camp. My guess is he takes a LT in round 2 or 3 and lets him develop behind Hairston. Probably another LT later in the draft, too.

With ZERO depth at LT, the odds are whoever is picked will play. Can they find another Hairston-type in R3-5? With such a critical position, I'd say it better be dealt with early, and am leaning to R1 pick.

I think Martin is the direction that the Bills will go in if he is available.

The Bills have been lucky to find tackles in later rounds, but generally Left Tackles go very early in the draft.

From the report I read on mocking the draft from last year, Martin's strength and power is in his legs not his arms. Nix said there are two or three players would could start at left tackle, and I don't think David Decastro can.

2011 martin draft prospect notes

I understanding fans wanting a flashy player like Floyd, but I do not understand why some people would rather the Bills draft a guard higher than drafting a tackle.

Also, a left tackle will allow the Bills to draft a quarterback next year if Fitz doesn't work out. Plus, how are the wide receivers going to catch passes if the quarterback is always injured, with let's just say broken ribs?

I 100% agree with the bolded statement. 10th overall is waaaay too early for an interior offensive lineman. No sense in squandering an early pick like that on a non-premium position. It's also way too early for a linebacker, unless that linebacker has a significant pass rushing role. Which he won't, at least not in Wannestedt's defense. Wannestedt doesn't like to blitz.

10th overall is also a little early for a RT. Besides which, the Bills have a perfectly good RT already in the form of Hairston.

I'd be fine with the Bills trading up for Kalil, staying put and taking a WR or CB worthy of 10th overall, or trading down. I'd be even happier with them trading down in order to acquire another first round pick in next year's draft! :)

I agree....this bench press weakness is pretty amazing to me. I have OT/OL friends who put up double those numbers without flinching. I am concerned he will get steamrolled by the monster De's in the NFL.

First, there is A LOT more to playing OT in the NFL than strength - athletic ability is one of them. Second, if you have friends doing 40 reps of 225 and

could play LT in the NFL, then BY ALL MEANS become their agent.

Nix said recently there are 2-3 LTs in this draft that can start day one. That to me, says he would strongly consider drafting one of them in round one, depending on the grades he has for players at other positions of need like WR and CB. If Martin is one of those 1-2 players Nix is talking about (clearly Kalil is one of the 2-3), there is a very good chance they will take him, depending on how the personal workout at OBD goes.

This would be the best first 3 rounds imaginable and no way is it possible...Hightower (my favorite Alabama defender) is going top 25 and Hill probably the same (we'd be lucky to get him in the 2nd)

My impression was that Stanford had a very intense conditioning program. If this is the case, I'd be concerned about Martin. Plenty smart, but does he have the drive to become a physical force?

Stanford may have an intense conditioning program, I don't think it's a school that allows its athletes to condition their bodies full time while passing "basketweaving" courses.

Good question, though, hopefully one the interviews and such will sort out.

Martin at 10? I'd have to pass. I want our 1st-rounder to be starting from Day 1, and I just don't think he can get the strength enough to do it.

This would be the best first 3 rounds imaginable and no way is it possible...Hightower (my favorite Alabama defender) is going top 25 and Hill probably the same (we'd be lucky to get him in the 2nd)

Never say "never", Never... B-)

I understand that my vision of rounds 1- 3 may seem ridiculously optimistic to some - however if one were to consider all the collective opinion of ALL the various NFL draft web sites, player evaluation sites, mock drafts, NFL draft gurus, TSW posters, etc., etc., you'd be left thinking there are at least 70-80 players that will all be gone by the end of round one.

The tyranny of the numbers indicates otherwise - clearly, some of those 70-80 players will fall out of round one and into round two, and some even into the third round :beer:

I'll be ecstatic if we get 2 of those guys in rounds 1-3 - we get all 3 and I'll be booking my flight to New Orleans...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Stanford may have an intense conditioning program, I don't think it's a school that allows its athletes to condition their bodies full time while passing "basketweaving" courses.

Good question, though, hopefully one the interviews and such will sort out.

+1

nobody thinks he's out of shape, just not strong enough. Plus I'm not sure he has elite LT athleticsm either. His selection wouldn't dissapoint me, but I do believe we wait til round 2 and still land a very similar prospect like Zebrie Sanders........

He most definitely has LT athleticism. It's his biggest strength.

I 100% agree with the bolded statement. 10th overall is waaaay too early for an interior offensive lineman. No sense in squandering an early pick like that on a non-premium position. It's also way too early for a linebacker, unless that linebacker has a significant pass rushing role. Which he won't, at least not in Wannestedt's defense. Wannestedt doesn't like to blitz.

10th overall is also a little early for a RT. Besides which, the Bills have a perfectly good RT already in the form of Hairston.

I'd be fine with the Bills trading up for Kalil, staying put and taking a WR or CB worthy of 10th overall, or trading down. I'd be even happier with them trading down in order to acquire another first round pick in next year's draft! :)

Generally speaking, I agree with you about a Guard at 10. The only time I would be in favor of this would be if a team didn't have any credible starters at this position, AND you truly believe you will be getting a long term probowl player (Faneca, Hutchinson, Hannah, Little, etc.). The Bills have been, but are not currently in this position.

As for corner at 10, this would be a mistake imo. We have a gaping hole at LT, a truly hard position to fill. The Lions just gave Backus another 10 million, and he is fairly average, and not young. LT is a very bad place for a void. I don't want to get into a situation like in the 90s, where the Bills had a great defense, but were weak on the offensive front.

Wood works hard, but I for one don't trust him to stay healthy, although Colin Brown didn't look bad. The same can be said about Bell, even if the Bills do re-sign him. And I find it strange that nobody seems to want a free agent LT with starting experience.

Fitz is not a star QB. You have said this many times. A good LT would be a HUGE help to him and make his job a lot easier. The Bills helped their defense immensly, including the secondary. With Williams and Anderson rushing the passer, the secondary should instantly improve. I'm all for a solid DB in rounds 3-7. Sure, let's go. Maybe even in the second, but the Bills OL is not a finished product. And btw, LB, if left alone, could also be a weak spot.

He was physical enough to guard Luck for 3 years.

I know I've got to change my mock draft in saying this, but I truly believe Cordy Glenn is going to be the Bills pick. Over Martin.

Cordy Glenn just looks like an NFL LT. He may be a little bit heavy, but he seems to carry it well. If the Bills do go LT, I see Glenn as the guy at #10 and Martin as someone they'd pick in the second round were he to fall.

Martin looks too smallish and with a finesse-like game to play LT in the ACE East and Buffalo in particular. I just don't understand why this guy is considered a first round talent after reading up on him. I don't like Martin at all.

I would have a big problem taking a guy at 10 that isn't in playing shape. I mean he has been in a top Division 1 program and had to know that there was literally millions of dollars on the line for himself, yet there are big question marks about his conditioning. That is not the type of player I want to be relying on at left tackle. If millions of dollars and a chance to play in the NFL can't motivate him, what will?

Edited by Dr. Fong

Cordy Glenn just looks like an NFL LT. He may be a little bit heavy, but he seems to carry it well. If the Bills do go LT, I see Glenn as the guy at #10 and Martin as someone they'd pick in the second round were he to fall.

Martin looks too smallish and with a finesse-like game to play LT in the ACE East and Buffalo in particular. I just don't understand why this guy is considered a first round talent after reading up on him. I don't like Martin at all.

Cordy Glenn is seriously the perfect fit for this team, not just in regards of talent but what the Bills look for in their players.

50 career starts (tied for most in Georgia history).

Extremely versatile, played Guard for first three years then switched to LT where he garnered First Team All-SEC honors in 2011 .

Huge body with jarring strength but shockingly nimble on his feet.

Team captain with zero character concerns and no injury issues.

If you're worried about Martin because he's more of a finesse blocker, you'll love Glenn. He just seals a player off on the edge with his strength and buries them in the turf. The concern with him is he only started one year at LT and struggled some with the new position in the first few games, but really came on once he had more experience. He's projected to go in the 15-25 range right now, I say take him at 10 and let him duke it out with Hairston over LT in camp. He also acts as insurance if Levitre leaves next season in FA.

Agreed on Glenn...Damond, Estro and I were shoutboxing last night and the perfect first 4 round scenario would be trade down some and get Glenn and a 2nd rounder. Next picks would be Stephen Hill and Lavonte David in 2nd, Trumaine Johnson 3rd and use one of our 4th rounders on Russell Wilson. Its a dream scenario but who knows.

I also like the idea of trading up to #7 (if Minny takes Claiborne, Browns take Tannehill, Bucs/Richardson, Rams/Blackmon) to get Kalil if it only costs us a high 4th maybe 3rd...I figure Jax won't have have to reach for the player they may want in Floyd and gets an extra pick and we get our future LT for the next 10+ years who has ties to Buffalo...

Edited by NeverOutNick

He seems to have everything you'd look for: size, strength, athleticism, 3 years of starting experience all while playing in the toughest conference in college football. The knock is going to be he only played one year at LT.

Glenn was a first-team All-SEC left tackle in 2011, his only season at the position, but projects as a guard for most teams -- but not all. He's susceptible to speed and counter moves at tackle, but is surprisingly nimble which could convince some NFL teams to envision him operating at this position. Scouts know he's dominant and powerful inside. Considering his size and versatility, Glenn should compete to be the first senior offensive lineman drafted in 2012 and a likely first-round pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632069/cordy-glenn Edited by Carey Bender

Cordy Glenn is seriously the perfect fit for this team, not just in regards of talent but what the Bills look for in their players.

Extremely versatile, played Guard for first three years then switched to LT where he garnered First Team All-SEC honors in 2011 .

If you're worried about Martin because he's more of a finesse blocker, you'll love Glenn. He just seals a player off on the edge with his strength and buries them in the turf. The concern with him is he only started one year at LT and struggled some with the new position in the first few games, but really came on once he had more experience. He's projected to go in the 15-25 range right now, I say take him at 10 and let him duke it out with Hairston over LT in camp. He also acts as insurance if Levitre leaves next season in FA.

So, conservatively now...just how many guys are projected to go in the 15-25 range right now?

(By my calculations there should be 11, yet somehow I'm reading in various places that there are about 30 or so guys projected at at 15-25 range :wacko: )

Generally speaking, I agree with you about a Guard at 10. The only time I would be in favor of this would be if a team didn't have any credible starters at this position, AND you truly believe you will be getting a long term probowl player (Faneca, Hutchinson, Hannah, Little, etc.). The Bills have been, but are not currently in this position.

As for corner at 10, this would be a mistake imo. We have a gaping hole at LT, a truly hard position to fill. The Lions just gave Backus another 10 million, and he is fairly average, and not young. LT is a very bad place for a void. I don't want to get into a situation like in the 90s, where the Bills had a great defense, but were weak on the offensive front.

Wood works hard, but I for one don't trust him to stay healthy, although Colin Brown didn't look bad. The same can be said about Bell, even if the Bills do re-sign him. And I find it strange that nobody seems to want a free agent LT with starting experience.

Fitz is not a star QB. You have said this many times. A good LT would be a HUGE help to him and make his job a lot easier. The Bills helped their defense immensly, including the secondary. With Williams and Anderson rushing the passer, the secondary should instantly improve. I'm all for a solid DB in rounds 3-7. Sure, let's go. Maybe even in the second, but the Bills OL is not a finished product. And btw, LB, if left alone, could also be a weak spot.

Elsewhere, I have argued that the Bills should strongly consider trading up for Kalil. I'd rather trade away a second to move up for him than stay put to take a WR or CB. You and I are in agreement about the importance of acquiring a long term answer at LT.

If the Bills stay put at #10, I'd be strongly opposed to reaching for any player at any position. Reaching is what got the Bills Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch, John McCargo, and many of their other disappointments. Assuming Kalil is off the board before #10, my sense is that any LT taken there would be a reach.

If the Bills take an interior lineman at 10, then that presumably means they'd be kicking an existing interior OL, like Levitre, out to LT. I don't like any aspect of that plan! Levitre is better-suited for OG than for LT, and 10th overall is way too early for an interior OL! A plan like that wouldn't really solve the Bills' problem at LT, even though we'd be using up the 10th overall pick.

I'd also be strongly opposed to taking a LB at 10th overall. A LB isn't going to blitz much in Wannestedt's defense; and no LB in the NFL can successfully cover Gronkowski one-on-one. If our LB isn't blitzing, and isn't covering TEs one-on-one, what will he do on pass defense to justify 10th overall?

All of this means that if the Bills stay put at 10th overall, it may come down to a choice between a WR and a CB. In the past, the Bills have let their CBs with the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment go first-contract-and-out. If that would be the plan for this CB, then for me that would make CB a non-option. A team should never use its first round pick on a guy expected to go first-contract-and-out! :angry:

On the other hand, if the CB could become the next Antoine Winfield, and if he could spend his whole career with the Bills, he could be a very solid addition to the Bills' defense. A defensive line which can consistently get to the QB in 3.5 seconds is great. It becomes even better when paired with a secondary that can consistently force QBs to hold the ball for 4.5 seconds! :)

Malta....do you have any concerns of Glenn not having the athletic ability to move laterally and getting beat by edge rushers? He is a interesting prospect to me...but I dont want to draft a guy at 10 and then discover he needs to go inside or to RT because he cant make it at LT.....would kinda defeat the purpose....FOR THE RECORD....I am really big on OT's that push people around and impose their will.....which is why I like Hairston. I just dont want whoever is at LT to get beat by a Von Miller type and shallack our QB

Malta....do you have any concerns of Glenn not having the athletic ability to move laterally and getting beat by edge rushers? He is a interesting prospect to me...but I dont want to draft a guy at 10 and then discover he needs to go inside or to RT because he cant make it at LT.....would kinda defeat the purpose....FOR THE RECORD....I am really big on OT's that push people around and impose their will.....which is why I like Hairston. I just dont want whoever is at LT to get beat by a Von Miller type and shallack our QB

Glenn did really well in the Senior Bowl too John, so I think (unasked) if they took him at 10, he fits Nix's profile for a big bad dude at tackle. Worst case, if he didn't do well at LT, he could be a monster at G to replace Urbik and have Hairston after 2 years in system start too. Not the worst thing to have happen either.

I've come to the same conclusion. I was initially high on Martin, but Glenn looks like more of a sure thing who could play multiple spots on the OL from day one.

Plus, I gotta believe it would be easier for Glenn to drop 20 pounds and maintain his strength/movement skills than for Martin to maintain the extra 20-30 pounds/add strenghth if his natural playing weight is 280...