Had the Bills signed Meachem...

Its very interesting to note that the Bills did lose out on one of their earlier free agent targets Robert Meachem. Had the Bills been able to sign Meachem do you think they still sign Anderson? Was the Anderson signing a reaction to losing Meachem? Or was Anderson a target that they were waiting to see the market for and had they signed Meachem they would have gone after Anderson anyway?

Either way which one would you rather have? Meachem or Anderson? Both at the same price and you can't awnser both.

Me personally I would rather have Anderson as we needed another guy to take advantage of super mario on the other side. I also think that had Meachem signed they might not have pursued anderson.

I'd agree with the OP and rather have Anderson over Meachum. Another WR would've been welcome, for sure, but I can't fault the guy for taking what I assume was a much higher offer, regardless of where he was when he received said offer.

Still, Meachum is a middling WR at best. It's not that big a loss.

I remember Meachem in college at Tenn and hoping the Bills drafted him. Then New Orleans drafted him and he ate his way thru the spring and early summer and showed up to their training camp overweight. He has continued to underperform, so I am not totally heartbroken that we didn't sign him. I will say however, if Buddy liked him, I could be convinced that maybe he's now got something going for him. But we'll see how he does in San Diego.

I remember Meachem in college at Tenn and hoping the Bills drafted him. Then New Orleans drafted him and he ate his way thru the spring and early summer and showed up to their training camp overweight. He has continued to underperform, so I am not totally heartbroken that we didn't sign him. I will say however, if Buddy liked him, I could be convinced that maybe he's now got something going for him. But we'll see how he does in San Diego.

I'm with you on that: If Buddy liked him, that's good enough for me. Meachem isn't a guy that was on my radar prior to FA, but when I heard the bills were bringing him in, I liked the idea a lot. I think he would've been a very effective #2, and the Bills sorely need that. The Bills seemed pretty confident they'd sign Meach, so I think they were certainly dissapointed to lose him to the Chargers. All things equal I'd prefer Meach over Anderson. I also believe it was going to be one or the other, I couldn't envision the bills spending for Mario, Meach and Anderson.

My thinking is perhaps Anderson was the plan B for Mario. We happened to get Mario, but missed out on Meach. There wasn't really a plan B or another FA WR they liked so they thought, hell even though we got plan A at DE lets use that Meachem money to go get plan B too. That's absolute speculation on my part, but sometimes it's fun to guess.

Also I think it's funny everybody says the Chargers overpaid for Meach, but that our signing of Mark Anderson was awesome. I'm not doggin either player, I think they both have a shot to be real good on theri new teams, but both teams overpaid. Anderson at $5.25-$7 millin per year w/ incentives, is clearly more than he's worth. I actually still like the signing, sometimes you have to overpay, but I'm objective enough to admit it. I just hope the money spent on Anderson doesn't hurt our chances of resigning Byrd or LeVitre this next year. They're much more valuale IMO than Mark Anderson.

Funny thing is I texted a friend before FA began that Tuesday and said I wanted Mario and Meachem. Then I said it would never happen, little did I know that Buddy was pursuing both. I like Mario/Anderson better than Mario/Meachem, I think a WR can be drafted ie Floyd.

I think they would have signed both if they got the opportunity.....but the thing is the bills apparantly had a dollar figure on Meechum that they were not going to cross....that is why they said good luck to him when he got that San Diego offer.

Honestly....its not a huge loss because we can find a guy to replace Meachum

I don't think they would have signed both. That would have been a lot of money. I think they budgeted about 20-23 million for Meachem and were just about to sign him when the Chargers offered him a little more and a chance to be #1 with a great TE and established QB. That was a no brainer for him. There were no more of the Meachem types left in FA, which means big, fast and able to make a play downfield. That led Buddy to say we are no longer in the market for WR, which only had to do with FA and not the draft. When Mario signed, suddenly Anderson became a possibility for several reasons, one of which was the 20-23 mil we didnt spend that we had slotted for Meachem. I very much doubt they would have gone after Anderson if they signed Meachem, evidenced by Buddy's announcement that we may be done by friday (which was said because he fully expected to sign both Mario and Meachem).

When everyone was wetting themselves about meach I went on record and said it would be a terrible pick up...and to save the money.... he could never break into the starting line up for a reason in NO...and also he lived off of a system and drew brees ... we don't have the same system and fitz is my boy but he ain't not drew brees

Also I think it's funny everybody says the Chargers overpaid for Meach, but that our signing of Mark Anderson was awesome. I'm not doggin either player, I think they both have a shot to be real good on theri new teams, but both teams overpaid. Anderson at $5.25-$7 millin per year w/ incentives, is clearly more than he's worth. I actually still like the signing, sometimes you have to overpay, but I'm objective enough to admit it. I just hope the money spent on Anderson doesn't hurt our chances of resigning Byrd or LeVitre this next year. They're much more valuale IMO than Mark Anderson.

Anderson has had two quality seasons stat-wise with over 10 sacks, especially last seasons performance. Meachum has never had a quality season, even when playing in New Orleans prolific pass first offense. I don't think either are stellar players, but I'd say Anderson is a level higher quality player than Meachum. Since they were both paid the same, Meachum was overpaid.

I'm glad they got Anderson. His contract is steep, but only after the second year. They can draft a DE and groom him for 2 years. If he underperforms, Anderson can be cut after year two, he only has 8mill guaranteed. If he plays well and proves valuable, keep him and be happy we have a good player. Meachem is vastly overpayed. The fact that lance more and devery Henderson got more love in NOs offense than meachem makes me wonder.

I was actually disappointed when I heard we were going after Meachem and happy when we didn't land him. He has been in NO for years and could never move up beyond Devery Henderson. Not a big play maker even with Brees throwing to him. We will be much better off with Floyd or Hill if we go that route in the draft. SD will miss VJ. I think Anderson is more proven in his position than Meachem. I'm cautiously happy with Anderson.

Edited by VADC Bills

Its very interesting to note that the Bills did lose out on one of their earlier free agent targets Robert Meachem. Had the Bills been able to sign Meachem do you think they still sign Anderson? Was the Anderson signing a reaction to losing Meachem? Or was Anderson a target that they were waiting to see the market for and had they signed Meachem they would have gone after Anderson anyway?

Either way which one would you rather have? Meachem or Anderson? Both at the same price and you can't awnser both.

Me personally I would rather have Anderson as we needed another guy to take advantage of super mario on the other side. I also think that had Meachem signed they might not have pursued anderson.

Given that the two players on different sides of the ball, I think their intention was always to sign Meachem and then sign Anderson, although it demonstrates their self-control not to overpay for a player they had no intention of paying above a certain value threshold....Nix knows they still need WR help, but he will be smart about the value of the money spent....had Meachem signed a deal the BILLS believed was reasonable I still think Anderson was on the list of players to get

Buddy did like him, but only up to a certain price. When San Diego offered Meachem a rich contract when he was in Buffalo Buddy told him to take the Charger offer. Overall, Buddy is doing a good job in establishing a value/tanlent ratio. The days of paying out of balance contracts to middling players such as Dockery and Langston Walker are over.

The passing attack was working fine until Fitz broke his ribs and WRs started getting injured and we began playing street FAs. (And Wood went out on IR).

The pass rush never worked except during one freak game.

On top of that, we were switching to the 4-3 without any capable 4-3 DEs on the team (minus perhaps Kelsay). I think Nix began the off season with the idea that he had to find two DEs either in free agency or the draft.

I'm with you on that: If Buddy liked him, that's good enough for me. Meachem isn't a guy that was on my radar prior to FA, but when I heard the bills were bringing him in, I liked the idea a lot. I think he would've been a very effective #2, and the Bills sorely need that. The Bills seemed pretty confident they'd sign Meach, so I think they were certainly dissapointed to lose him to the Chargers. All things equal I'd prefer Meach over Anderson. I also believe it was going to be one or the other, I couldn't envision the bills spending for Mario, Meach and Anderson.

My thinking is perhaps Anderson was the plan B for Mario. We happened to get Mario, but missed out on Meach. There wasn't really a plan B or another FA WR they liked so they thought, hell even though we got plan A at DE lets use that Meachem money to go get plan B too. That's absolute speculation on my part, but sometimes it's fun to guess.

If Anderson has the same type of year he had for the Pats, he is worth $6M all day.

Going into FA, I was hoping we'd sign a DE and WR. Never in my wildest dreams did I believe we'd actually put up the money for Mario nor that he would sign here. When they brought in Meachem and Williams, I got excited that this FO finally had a clue.

It kinda sucked to see Meachem walk away, and I really thought it was a matter of time before Mario did the same. But, in the end, seeing Meachem's contract with SD, I was a little relieved they didn't sign him. And now, seeing them bring in Anderson, I'm really glad we didn't land him. Because, I don't think they could have afforded both. So, it was probably one or the other. Although, they may not have considered Anderson till after Meachem and a few other WRs came off the market.

IMO, what they've done is effectively address the DE situation. We now have the players on the line to Pressure any passer in the league. And that, makes us a better team than getting a high-priced WR. So, whether by design or not, I think it's worked out for the best to bring in Anderson over Meachem. I just hope my optimism is rewarded next season.

I believe they would have signed both. Two biggest needs entering FAgency: pass rush, and WR.

They've solidified pass rush to say the least. Remains to be seen how they address the need at WR. Unless a WR is their top rated player on the board at the time, I doubt they draft him at 10.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think they would have signed both. That would have been a lot of money. I think they budgeted about 20-23 million for Meachem and were just about to sign him when the Chargers offered him a little more and a chance to be #1 with a great TE and established QB. That was a no brainer for him. There were no more of the Meachem types left in FA, which means big, fast and able to make a play downfield. That led Buddy to say we are no longer in the market for WR, which only had to do with FA and not the draft. When Mario signed, suddenly Anderson became a possibility for several reasons, one of which was the 20-23 mil we didnt spend that we had slotted for Meachem. I very much doubt they would have gone after Anderson if they signed Meachem, evidenced by Buddy's announcement that we may be done by friday (which was said because he fully expected to sign both Mario and Meachem).

But didn't the Bills schedule the Giants WR Manningham to come in for a visit after signing Williams to his contract? I don't think they had it set out that if they couldn't get Meachum they would go after Anderson. I think that the plan was to go after one of the better WRs and Williams in FA. If they could sign both, they were set and done making big moves in FA, if not, they would see whats left and go from there. When they lost out on another WR and Anderson was available they brought him in and dedcided to fix the Pass Rush in FA and I would bet that they are looking at WR first at 10, if not, their 2nd rounder would be used for one since they couldn't upgrade WR in FA

Basically, I think the plan was to finish FA with one need in the Draft, either an additional DE for the pass Rush, or a WR. When they lost out on Meachum and Manningham, they didn't see anyone else they really liked at WR, so they decided to let that be the need for the #10 pick and go after another Pass Rushing DE

But didn't the Bills schedule the Giants WR Manningham to come in for a visit after signing Williams to his contract? I don't think they had it set out that if they couldn't get Meachum they would go after Anderson. I think that the plan was to go after one of the better WRs and Williams in FA. If they could sign both, they were set and done making big moves in FA, if not, they would see whats left and go from there. When they lost out on another WR and Anderson was available they brought him in and dedcided to fix the Pass Rush in FA and I would bet that they are looking at WR first at 10, if not, their 2nd rounder would be used for one since they couldn't upgrade WR in FA

Basically, I think the plan was to finish FA with one need in the Draft, either an additional DE for the pass Rush, or a WR. When they lost out on Meachum and Manningham, they didn't see anyone else they really liked at WR, so they decided to let that be the need for the #10 pick and go after another Pass Rushing DE

There was one early report the Bills were interested in Manningham but Nix flat denied it. I don't think they necessarily were set on going after Anderson but the fact that they got Mario, and didn't get Meachem, coupled with the sudden interest in Buffalo as a destination point for a guy like Anderson to join that formidable DL because of Mario and the team's willingness to pay, made Nix increase his efforts to use the money slotted for Meachem, on Anderson.

1332787187[/url]' post='2422424']

I think you have to add Left Tackle to the list of needs, especially with no Bell on the team. As it stands now, the most important, arguably perhaps, position on our OLine is a easily our weakest position on the line. So I could see a left tackle being taken early as well.

A 600 yard receiver can be picked up or drafted for way less than what Meachem got. Good DEs are harder to find. I'm ok with how things worked out.

+1. There may be 15-25 Meachem's in this draft but maybe only 5-7 pass rushers. Much happier with how things turned out.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

I am a big fan of Meachem and was hoping the Bills would target him so obviously would have been happy if they signed him

for those that say he underperformed with the Saints its hard to perform when you are at best the 4th option in the passing game

I like Anderson but I cant help but wonder how much he will be on the field where as Meachem would have been on the field almost every offensive play

I think the Bills would have went defense with the 10th pick if they didnt sign Anderson

Edited by Max997

I am a big fan of Meachem and was hoping the Bills would target him so obviously would have been happy if they signed him

for those that say he underperformed with the Saints its hard to perform when you are at best the 4th option in the passing game

I like Anderson but I cant help but wonder how much he will be on the field where as Meachem would have been on the field almost every offensive play

I think the Bills would have went defense with the 10th pick if they didnt sign Anderson

If Meachem had the skills, he would have been higher than the 6th (this year, in receptions) option.

I think you have to add Left Tackle to the list of needs, especially with no Bell on the team. As it stands now, the most important, arguably perhaps, position on our OLine is a easily our weakest position on the line. So I could see a left tackle being taken early as well.

I don't disagree that they could go LT too if they don't feel that theres a WR they like at 10, but I think this staff is high enough on giving Hairston a shot at starting LT they may try and get one in the 2nd or 3rd too. This all could hinge on the plan that they think Bell will come back when he doesn't get what he wants somewhere else. They offered him a deal, he just never responded to it and went to test the market. If he isn't re-signed by the Draft, the Bills go in taking either a WR or LT because they no longer need Pass Rushers. Had they signed Meachem or Manningham (if their interest was true or not) they would probably be going in looking for Pass Rusher or LT at #10. I feel they believed they had 3-4 BIG needs this offseason (Shore up the D-line/Pass Rush, compliment WR for SJ, and LT to replace Bell) to address and went in with the plan of filling atleast 2 of those needs in FA. From the way things went, they thought they could address the Pass Rush and WR early in FA (Williams and Meachem) and they ended up filling one of them. When the WRs available dwindled, they went for DE to solidify the Pass Rush and D-Line, with the plan for LT being that they would bring Bell back or find his replacement somewhere in the Draft and give Hairston teh chance to show he can play.

They have yet to show interest in any of the available Tackles besides making an offer to bell, so it doesn't appear to be a huge concern for them that Hairston may need to start

I don't disagree that they could go LT too if they don't feel that theres a WR they like at 10, but I think this staff is high enough on giving Hairston a shot at starting LT they may try and get one in the 2nd or 3rd too. This all could hinge on the plan that they think Bell will come back when he doesn't get what he wants somewhere else. They offered him a deal, he just never responded to it and went to test the market. If he isn't re-signed by the Draft, the Bills go in taking either a WR or LT because they no longer need Pass Rushers. Had they signed Meachem or Manningham (if their interest was true or not) they would probably be going in looking for Pass Rusher or LT at #10. I feel they believed they had 3-4 BIG needs this offseason (Shore up the D-line/Pass Rush, compliment WR for SJ, and LT to replace Bell) to address and went in with the plan of filling atleast 2 of those needs in FA. From the way things went, they thought they could address the Pass Rush and WR early in FA (Williams and Meachem) and they ended up filling one of them. When the WRs available dwindled, they went for DE to solidify the Pass Rush and D-Line, with the plan for LT being that they would bring Bell back or find his replacement somewhere in the Draft and give Hairston teh chance to show he can play.

They have yet to show interest in any of the available Tackles besides making an offer to bell, so it doesn't appear to be a huge concern for them that Hairston may need to start

I agree although I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Adams is our guy. I've written several posts saying I don't want Adams. But watching the combine and the Senior Bowl ( I have both still on my DVR ), he looked pretty good. In fact, he and Cordy Glenn both looked pretty darn good in the drills.

But I too like Hairston. I just think Martin from Stanford and Reiff from Iowa are a better players than Hairston. Also Adams (even though I don't like the Big 10) may have more overall ability than Hairston.

Should be very interesting to see the direction Buddy goes.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

1332792034[/url]' post='2422525']

I would agree with much of what you posted. The FO clearly either likes Hairston to start or have plans to take a LT at 10 (or in the 2nd) given that they're playing hard ball with Bell and looking at no other FA tackles. Personally, I'm not sold on Hairston, but what do I know.

I can live with either a WR or LT taken at #10. It just depends on who's there and, more importantly, who's likely to be there in the 2nd.

I think the question about Meachem and Anderson becomes a tale of two players who are STILL trying to establish themselves, so overall it becomes a wash to me! It is quite likely the notion from many here that Mark Anderson's production is nearly assured due to who he'll being playing next to, and Meachem will possibly pull a Alvin Harper now that he is essentially San Diego's #1 receiver! Hopefully, Mark Anderson sees this as a huge chance to finally turn the corner on a fine career. I'm thinking that he does succeed in Buffalo, and RM has some troubles out in San Diego.

If Meachem had the skills, he would have been higher than the 6th (this year, in receptions) option.

had the skills? have you ever watched him play or are you simply going by the numbers?

he is a talented WR who will have a big year in San Diego

had the skills? have you ever watched him play or are you simply going by the numbers?

he is a talented WR who will have a big year in San Diego

We'll agree to disagree Max. He wasn't even a starter for more than half a season in any season. And despite attention being paid to other receivers, he never rose above 3rd in receiving in any year. I think he'll struggle mightily in SD. But time will tell.

We'll agree to disagree Max. He wasn't even a starter for more than half a season in any season. And despite attention being paid to other receivers, he never rose above 3rd in receiving in any year. I think he'll struggle mightily in SD. But time will tell.

I'm more of this opinion. He seems more athlete than football player. Still a useful guy, and IMO was perfect as a #4 WR to stretch the field in a pass heavy offense.