Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

There are few players in the category that are specially impactful players. In other words their presence on the field elevates the productivity of the players around them. Quarterbacks such as Brady, both Mannings, Brees etc are worth the exorbitant price they are payed because of how it impacts the offense in general. There are fewer defensive players that fit that deescription. Larence Taylor, DE Jaared Allen, Green Bay's Reggie White, Ravens' Ray Lewis are the type of players that by their presence elevate the rest of the defense.

If MW is that type of player (I believe he is) then he is well worth the contract he garnered. Without a doubt if he can get pressure on the qb the play of the defensive backfield is going to improve. What the Bills need to do now is to add a few more pieces on defense (LBs) so that Williams will be even more productive.

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude - take responsibility for your own settings.

Edit your profile, click on the settings tab, then click the checkbox for DST correction...

:thumbsup:

what kinda operation you folks running here where we, the people, have to take responsibility.

it's bad enough we're all paying dues to be members here, and that price has now gone up with Williams' signing, that some moderator can't do all this work for us?

what are we paying you for!!

personally, i'm considering putting a hold on sending you my next payment. and i'm asking all posters here to do the same.

to be fair, i'll begin setting up an escrow account, which was one of the reasons behind my reason visit to the Cayman Islands. (and lord knows, someone's gotta help me pay that bar tab.)

so, for those members intending to join me, they can forward me their money -- check or cash is fine, i'm not picky -- and we'll get this all straightened out.

jw

(ok, this is odd. i went to check my settings, and the DST thingy was already clicked. why did it take this long for the thing to correct itself? ... which leads me to wonder: what kind of operation you folks running here ... ) :nana:

Edited by john wawrow

Why did nix say he's playing LDE? RDE is more important and where he's always played

Actually he's primarily played on the Left side. Watch any highlight reel of him and you will see that 90% of the time. But he is movable. He's extrely versitile.

His tag number was $22 million for this year. That's a worse cap hit than resigning him.

How is this possible? I thought the franchise tag value was the average of the top 5 salaries at that position. We just made him the highest paid defensive player in history for ~16-17 million per year, so how can the top 5 DE's average 22 million?

How is this possible? I thought the franchise tag value was the average of the top 5 salaries at that position. We just made him the highest paid defensive player in history for ~16-17 million per year, so how can the top 5 DE's average 22 million?

or 120% of your last year's salary, whichever is greater.

That way a guy in the Top 5 doesn't have to take a paycut if they get franchised.

That was the deal with Megaton too. The Average of the Top 5 WRs would have been less than his salary.

Bills fans -

had to register to give you all a mighty congratulations. As a Bears fan, I wanted to get the local take on the Mario saga, so I sat on this thread along with you all for 3 straight days and nights, F5'ing my life away along with the rest of you. Didn't get a dang thing done at work as well. Sleep?? What's that??

Day 1 started out with hoping to see Mario boarding a plane to Chicago, but mid way through Day 2, I was solidly in your camp for him to sign with the Bills. One post that stands out in my mind was "this is very, very dumb. And I am addicted". Amen, brother!! I laughed. I'll tell you what, reading every last post in this thread, I could feel the excitement, the impatience near the end of Day 2 and I was right along with you. I completely respect the dedication you show your team and the Buffalo Bills now have a new fan.

I'm jealous as he!!, don't get me wrong, but you all deserve Super Mario after these last few days. I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope to see you all in the SB this year. (playing my Bears, of course!) Be well!

Tanks der Chicagoan!

Good luck to… da Bears!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but here's a good BR article on the subject.

Actually he's primarily played on the Left side. Watch any highlight reel of him and you will see that 90% of the time. But he is movable. He's extrely versitile.

Something's not adding up. Your best DE plays RDE. I wonder if it's different for Mario due to his height and wingspan hey reckon he's more valuable at LDE where he has the opportunity to deflect or knock down more passes.

Something's not adding up. Your best DE plays RDE. I wonder if it's different for Mario due to his height and wingspan hey reckon he's more valuable at LDE where he has the opportunity to deflect or knock down more passes.

Some players are more comfortable rushing from one side and other players like the other. Teams often have their best pass rushers from the right side of the formation because most teams like to run and use their TE on the right. Mario prefers the left side and the Bills are going to let him, most of the time, rush from there. He's more of a power rusher than a speed guy anyway, even though he is plenty fast. He will also go against the opposition's RT who is usually not as talented as the LT. The fact he prefers to rush from the left may help us if Merriman returns because he prefers to rush from the right.

what kinda operation you folks running here where we, the people, have to take responsibility.

it's bad enough we're all paying dues to be members here, and that price has now gone up with Williams' signing, that some moderator can't do all this work for us?

what are we paying you for!!

personally, i'm considering putting a hold on sending you my next payment. and i'm asking all posters here to do the same.

to be fair, i'll begin setting up an escrow account, which was one of the reasons behind my reason visit to the Cayman Islands. (and lord knows, someone's gotta help me pay that bar tab.)

so, for those members intending to join me, they can forward me their money -- check or cash is fine, i'm not picky -- and we'll get this all straightened out.

jw

Thank you John for finally giving me a tax free destination for all my superpac monies that i will not need any longer. i have resigned my aspirations for public office.

Because of that pass rushing fool M. Williams is now in line with our thinking.

Nothing wrong with shaking up the front office here though. Damnable Whig party should at least reset your clock on time.I have my people looking into this slighting. Sometimes i too wonder after posting whether this whole board is a sham and a money laundering adventure. Fear and loathing in Buffalo. the horror.

You were in the Cayman islands and have a keen eye. Did you notice anyone suspicious?

Was Peyton there? he has shifty eyes too!

sincere regards

of course keep this email secure as the usual agreements.

Ralph

Including the signing of a big-name free agent by a small-market team, many comparisons have been made between Mario Williams and Reggie White. Of course Mario is not the player Reggie was but there are a lot of similarities in the signing and in their games, as well.

Reggie White was a LDE with a powerful bull rush. Mario also has an excellent bull rush.

As you pointed out, the advantage of putting a tall powerful player at LDE is to get in the passing lanes, get in the QBs face, create an obstruction and increase the difficulty of the throws to that side.

Also like Reggie, Mario is a very good run defender and many teams are slightly right-handed in the run game so the positioning of Mario on the left side helps to make the run D stouter.

Mario makes a prototypical LDE.

I'm in that group of people who wants to see the Bills find a classic speed rusher to play the RDE position.

Including the signing of a big-name free agent by a small-market team, many comparisons have been made between Mario Williams and Reggie White. Of course Mario is not the player Reggie was but there are a lot of similarities in the signing and in their games, as well.

Reggie White was a LDE with a powerful bull rush. Mario also has an excellent bull rush.

As you pointed out, the advantage of putting a tall powerful player at LDE is to get in the passing lanes, get in the QBs face, create an obstruction and increase the difficulty of the throws to that side.

Also like Reggie, Mario is a very good run defender and many teams are slightly right-handed in the run game so the positioning of Mario on the left side helps to make the run D stouter.

I'm in that group of people who wants to see the Bills find a classic speed rusher to play the RDE position.

would a healthy Merriman suffice for now?

I thought Reggie was an interior lineman/DT.

Who on the current Roster will play RDE? Kelsays played LDE and Merriman's always hurt. That leaves Carrington.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

In today's league, you move your linemen around depending on the matchups anyway. I don't know Wannstead's style of defense off the top of my head, but I'd be very surprised if Williams didn't play either or both ends, depending.

I thought Reggie was an interior lineman/DT.

Who on the current Roster will play RDE? Kelsays played LDE and Merriman's always hurt. That leaves Carrington.

Nooooo Reggie was a LDE. So was Deacon Jones. RDE is Kelsey/Merriman/Carrington atm it looks like. Unless we go all-in and draft Coples/Ingram at #10.

would a healthy Merriman suffice for now?

Not for me.

Similar to the Marcus Easley situation, you don't want to count on someone who may or may not be healthy.

And you want one more viable player there to avoid a worst-case scenario.

Stack talent and let guys compete for jobs. Build depth.

Too often in the past this team has been hopeful about the ability of players to perform their jobs and has been wrong.

As with above, you don't want to count on Carrington or anyone currently on the roster who hasn't proven anything yet.

As I said, I want the team to draft more edge rushers both at DE and at OLB. You want to have 5 guys who can pressure the QB. The Bills might have 3 right now.

Let Carrington, Kelsay, and Merriman compete for a job with an additional pass rush candidate.

1332057275[/url]' post='2413142']

This is my first visit to this epic thread, so forgive me if this was linked by anyone else...an "unbiased" scouting report of Mario Willams (some good, some bad), from a Houston area sports writer, for what it is worth:

http://blog.chron.co...mario-williams/

Your first time reading 'the Thread'?!? Hit the deck and give us 50 push ups!

Excellent read, BT. Thanks! I think most of us have seen the negatives about Mario from afar. The stuff about not being part of the 'in crowd' in Houston and a passive exterior were obvious in his presser when he spoke about just hangin' at the house. We have vocal clubhouse leaders and he will surely play alongside highly motivated interior linemen here. I don't have any concerns in this regard.

But I am concerned about the contents of this bullet:

• While Mario's bull rush is a solid weapon, unfortunately, it has been his primary weapon for most of his career. Despite having some solid defensive line coaches, he has been very slow to add to his pass rush repertoire. There is no excuse for Mario not to have developed a club move as his go-to inside pass rush. Mario doesn't have the footwork to utilize a spin move (I've seen him try … it's not pretty) so that club move is a must if Mario Williams is ever going to develop a mature outside/inside pass rush attack.

I think we have to hope he works on this aspect and, again, he'll have the help inside to find space inside the tackle where this can elevate his play. Most intriguing, he plays well from a 2 pt stance and wrecks havoc on passing downs from inside positions. Wanny will develop stunts for this that will expose guards to him up the middle. I can't wait to see this!

Not for me.

I was careful to say "healthy" and i do not mean maybe or we shall see healthy. I regard to Merriman

I am adamant about drafting some proven players to push out our question marks. i do not think Williams puts us over the top and i hope fans realize he is a key piece to the puzzle. For our 40 front we need one more nastifier and either a starting LB from draft or at least two that can at least get on the field first year. Sheppard beat out Morrison inside his rookie season and thats no knock on Morrison. i think we can get some seerious players standing behind Kelsay, carrington and or Merriman. That might be enough for the rest of the league to say uh oh we have the Bills on our schedule. at least now they cant check off a W.

lets let the Fitzy two second drop become the norm for the afc. Thats ok because we know how to answer that too!

go bills

In today's league, you move your linemen around depending on the matchups anyway. I don't know Wannstead's style of defense off the top of my head, but I'd be very surprised if Williams didn't play either or both ends, depending.

It is rumored that Williams can be very effective playing inside too...

who wants to be a real trooper and explain the origin of "ground up and in the freezer"?

I'm not sure exactly when it was mentioned for the first time in this thread, but it may have been when I first saw a reference to "He likes his women like he likes his coffee..."

Someone beat me to the punchline, but we both posted "Ground up, and in the freezer?" I am not sure if I was late to the party or if the genesis of that line of commenting pre-dated the posts I just mentioned.