Bills have 9 draft picks

As of right now, the Bills have 9 draft picks for the upcoming draft. According to Chris Brown from buffalobills.com, the Lynch trade could bring the Bills a 5th rounder, plus with the loss of Posluszny, the Bills could get a compensatory pick (making it 10 total picks):

"The Bills got a fourth-round pick in this years draft for Lee Evans from Baltimore. As for the Lynch trade it was a conditional sixth-round pick that could become a fifth-round pick. From what I understand the chances are good that it will be a fifth-round pick, but because it is a conditional agreement, those conditions agreed upon by the two clubs must be confirmed by the league as being satisfied. That has yet to happen.

Additional information here

Edited by Beerball
Added link

Nine picks? Super Bowl! :thumbsup:

Re-sign Chandler, Jackson, Johnson

1 Whitney Mercilus DE43 Illinois

2 Ronnell Lewis OLB43 Oklahoma

3 Lavonte David OLB43 Nebraska

4 Leonard Johnson CB Iowa State

4 Mike Daniels DT43 Iowa

5 Landon Walker OT Clemson

5 Isaiah Pead RBF Cincinnati

6 Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin

7 Brian Quick WRP Appalachian State

Yeah, four 4th and 5th round picks are exciting. We rarely get it right with the 1st and 2nd rounds.

How the hell do the Pats, who almost always win the division, keep on getting multiple 1st round picks while we, who almost always lose the division, keep on getting multiple deep-round backups and ne'er-do-wells?

Still can't believe all Evans got us was a 4th rounder.

4 Mike Daniels DT43 Iowa

Now that would be an incredible draft. Actually my favorite pick there is the running back who may be all-pro worthy within a couple of years.

How the hell do the Pats, who almost always win the division, keep on getting multiple 1st round picks while we, who almost always lose the division, keep on getting multiple deep-round backups and ne'er-do-wells?

I think maybe you have the logic backwards there.

cant help but lol people that dismiss seventh round picks

every pick is valuable in the nfl. the draft used to be twelve rounds and back then you could say that anything after ten was of very dubious value, but a seventh then was still considered a decent chance of finding a contributor. still is, in fact moreso considering the expansion of practice and gameday rosters, and the historical increase in injuries that results in more churn

although its obviously at a lower rate, seventh rounders routinely have nfl careers. its no coincidence that teams enter a mad scramble after the draft to get guys that werent picked, and we know those efforts are vital to at least filling out a teams depth

so you know if they traded lee for a seventh yeah it would be a rip off but a fourth is still a nice quality pick for an aging low-tier wr1 who might end up getting cut from his new team next training camp. no doubt its unfair to base that solely on the seasons outcome, but independent of that it was fair albeit disappointing compensation when the deal was made

i think a fourth sounds small when compared against a max of seven rounds because its viewed as mid-round. but really the importance of early fa rookie signings makes that sort of a free for all draft for contributors so a fourth in that context has a lot more perceived value

Yeah, four 4th and 5th round picks are exciting. We rarely get it right with the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Who is we ?

DId you see Evan's production this year?

HIs most memorable play was the one he didn't make--after that, the Ravens were demanding they should get the Bills 4th round pick.

As of right now, the Bills have 9 draft picks for the upcoming draft. According to Chris Brown from buffalobills.com, the Lynch trade could bring the Bills a 5th rounder, plus with the loss of Posluszny, the Bills could get a compensatory pick (making it 10 total picks):

"The Bills got a fourth-round pick in this year’s draft for Lee Evans from Baltimore. As for the Lynch trade it was a conditional sixth-round pick that could become a fifth-round pick. From what I understand the chances are good that it will be a fifth-round pick, but because it is a conditional agreement, those conditions agreed upon by the two clubs must be confirmed by the league as being satisfied. That has yet to happen.

Great. Let's hope they're developed into productive players.

I think you'll see the Bills package some picks and move up in round 2 or 3.

Trade does not appear to be in Buddy Nix's vocabulary.

4 Mike Daniels DT43 Iowa

Don't see us using 2 high picks on LB's when going with the 4-3... they seem very pleased with the idea of Shep in the Middle, Barnett on the weak side, leaving one question mark on the strong side.

I prefer to see the Bills keep their picks if they can unless a unique situation presents itself. Maybe even try to get more. The more picks they make the better chance they have on hitting a quality player. Its really a numbers game these days when it comes to drafting imo.

I prefer to see the Bills keep their picks if they can unless a unique situation presents itself. Maybe even try to get more. The more picks they make the better chance they have on hitting a quality player. Its really a numbers game these days when it comes to drafting imo.

I disagree. I think that due to the current NFL rules, this is a QB driven league like no other time in history. My first wish is that the Bills trade away picks to get RG III.

I know I've said only two #1s, but I'd trade away three #1s. IMO, RG III would immediately make the Bills Superbowl contenders. Yeah, I said it. The AFC sucks and will continue to suck for the next few years. The Bengals and Broncos got in the playoffs? Seriously?

The NFC is laden with good teams and franchise QBs (Rogers, Manning, Brees) who the Bills will no doubt be facing when they get there. Sorry, I don't want to lose a 5th Superbowl with Fitzpatrick at the helm. Please, just do it Buddy.

Right, because he signed for just a shade under the $45million that Poz did in Jax. :doh:

..I guess you don't understand how Comp picks work then eh?

In the disillusion world of comp picks, # of players gained/lost determines IF a comp pick will be given. Value delta determines how HIGH a comp pick will be given. Thats simplified, but basically if we didnt sign Kirk, we probably would have gotten a 3rd or 4th rounder for Poz. Since we did...we likely get nothing.

Gotta love comp picks.

Of course, new CBA, so anything is possible. I dont think they changed the secret formula though.

I disagree. I think that due to the current NFL rules, this is a QB driven league like no other time in history. My first wish is that the Bills trade away picks to get RG III.

I know I've said only two #1s, but I'd trade away three #1s. IMO, RG III would immediately make the Bills Superbowl contenders. Yeah, I said it. The AFC sucks and will continue to suck for the next few years. The Bengals and Broncos got in the playoffs? Seriously?

The NFC is laden with good teams and franchise QBs (Rogers, Manning, Brees) who the Bills will no doubt be facing when they get there. Sorry, I don't want to lose a 5th Superbowl with Fitzpatrick at the helm. Please, just do it Buddy.

That's a might big risk giving up three number ones. I understand the need for an elite QB but teams also have to make sure they don't trade away their future for that one guy. I'd rather emulate new englands strategy of stockpiling picks and selecting players they feel are valuable at that spot.

Regardless however on the two of us disagreeing on the proper strategy.. I think we can both agree its highly unlikely the bills move up to take RG3.

That's a might big risk giving up three number ones. I understand the need for an elite QB but teams also have to make sure they don't trade away their future for that one guy. I'd rather emulate new englands strategy of stockpiling picks and selecting players they feel are valuable at that spot.

Regardless however on the two of us disagreeing on the proper strategy.. I think we can both agree its highly unlikely the bills move up to take RG3.

It is unlikely, but could you imagine if Buddy drops that kind of a bombshell move on the NFL and Bills nation? The crazy thing is that the Bills will be the one team who are just barely in close enough range to make the move, who will show almost no interest in RG III and therefor shock the NFL draft and the AFC East in particular.

It might not be as big of a risk as you might think, I think you can fill in those defensive spots with free agency. Once players see that a team is on the rise and they have the QB to go all the way, they'll migrate there for the chance to get their ring.

BTW, I think having both Manning and Brady in the division warrants the Bills making a big move for RG III...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/04/more-talk-of-peyton-manning-in-miami/

Edited by 1billsfan

"The Bills got a fourth-round pick in this year’s draft for Lee Evans from Baltimore. As for the Lynch trade it was a conditional sixth-round pick that could become a fifth-round pick. From what I understand the chances are good that it will be a fifth-round pick, but because it is a conditional agreement, those conditions agreed upon by the two clubs must be confirmed by the league as being satisfied. That has yet to happen.

We won't get anything for POZ. We replaced him with a FA who preformed similarly.

4 Mike Daniels DT43 Iowa

Brother, ya gotta help us out with some players from Alabama.

Are comp picks based on hair? Poz? Come on. But don't forget we also lost an all pro safety. We should get a comp pick for him.

It is unlikely, but could you imagine if Buddy drops that kind of a bombshell move on the NFL and Bills nation? The crazy thing is that the Bills will be the one team who are just barely in close enough range to make the move, who will show almost no interest in RG III and therefor shock the NFL draft and the AFC East in particular.

It might not be as big of a risk as you might think, I think you can fill in those defensive spots with free agency. Once players see that a team is on the rise and they have the QB to go all the way, they'll migrate there for the chance to get their ring.

BTW, I think having both Manning and Brady in the division warrants the Bills making a big move for RG III...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/04/more-talk-of-peyton-manning-in-miami/

Good idea but free agency starts in March, one month before the draft.

Unfortunately the Patriots have 2 first and 2 second round picks

Now that would be an incredible draft. Actually my favorite pick there is the running back who may be all-pro worthy within a couple of years.

I think Isaiah Pead is getting a bad rap from what I've read. I see his blitz pickup as excellent and some draftniks are criticizing his blocking.

And his running ain't bad--prolly best in the Big East.

Comp picks are based on contract value of FAs? Who knew!

Be in the know.

Thanks for the compliment. The Bills got a fourth-round pick in this year's draft for Lee Evans from Baltimore. As for the Lynch trade it was a conditional sixth-round pick that could become a fifth-round pick. From what I understand the chances are good that it will be a fifth-round pick, but because it is a conditional agreement, those conditions agreed upon by the two clubs must be confirmed by the league as being satisfied. That has yet to happen.

With respect to a compensatory pick for the loss of Paul Posluszny that should happen.
I would anticipate a fifth or sixth-round pick knowing the size of Poz's contract has a lot to do with the unknown compensatory formula that the league employs. Buffalo did not have a free agent signee that came remotely close to Poz's $45M deal with Jacksonville so I'd expect Buffalo to get one for losing him.

So breaking it all down the Bills will have nine picks and should get a 10
th
as a compensatory (round to be determined). Here are the rounds of the picks we know they have assuming the pick from the Lynch trade is a fifth, though the league has not confirmed it. (1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7). Chris Brown

So kill me for believing CB.

In the disillusion world of comp picks, # of players gained/lost determines IF a comp pick will be given. Value delta determines how HIGH a comp pick will be given. Thats simplified, but basically if we didnt sign Kirk, we probably would have gotten a 3rd or 4th rounder for Poz. Since we did...we likely get nothing.

Gotta love comp picks.

Of course, new CBA, so anything is possible. I dont think they changed the secret formula though.

Then neither does Chris Brown.

True that!

I am getting a lot of mail from DraftTek readers saying that the 5th is a done deal. It's still being discussed. Love the flexibility that a 10-pick draft would offer us, in addition to some of the FA names being bandied about. :thumbsup:

Ideally, V-Jax or Bowe coming to Buffalo, along with a FA pass rusher (Cliff Avril, Calais Campbell, Mario Williams or Robert Mathis), would let us pick BPA all the way through the 10 picks, maybe like this:

RD1-Courtney Upshaw Bama OLB

RD2-Andre Branch Clemson DE

RD3-Orson Charles Georgia TE

RD4-Shaun Prater Iowa CB

RD4-Quinton Saulsberry Mississippi St. OC

RD5-Nicolas Jean-Baptiste Baylor NT

RD5-George Iloka Boise St. S

RD6-Matt Reynolds BYU OT

RD7-Brian Quick App State WR

RD7-DeAngelo Tyson Georgia DT

4 Mike Daniels DT43 Iowa

That's a WHOLE LOTTA Mid-West for a staff that's rooted in the South.

You have to draft well in the 1st and 2nd so that in the future other teams will want to trade for some of those players and give you 1st and 2nds in return.

Gotta love comp picks.

Might we be getting anything for Whitner as far as compensatory picks go?

love to see the bills add josh chapman who was dareus's teammate at bama. i know our DTs look good with dareus/wiliiams and heard played well at the end of the year too. but this kid could be a very valuable piece if added in the 3rd round or so.