Kent Hull Passed Away

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be careful about making any comment WRT that kind of stuff. While it's a generalization for guys who played in that era in the early part of his career, we have NO idea if Kent Hull had issues with that. Unless you know or can reference this as a fact that contributed to his passing, please show some respect until an official cause is released. Using "likely" is a cop-out.

I was referring to prescibed medications he was likely utilizing after he retired (i.e. "trying to lead a normal life afterwards"). With all the surgeries and inflammation he was undoubtedly dealing with it, is very likely that doctors had him utilizing both steroids and painkillers to control it.

Nothing remotely unscrupulous about it.

I was fortunate enough to get to talk with Kent briefly, meeting him and some other ex-Bills outside the stadium before Ralph & Bruce were enshrined in the HOF. Unlike a certain wide receiver who is hoping to be enshrined, Kent seemed happy to stop and chat and pose for pictures with the fans who were around. I consider that meeting the high point of that event.

I was fortunate enough to get to talk with Kent briefly, meeting him and some other ex-Bills outside the stadium before Ralph & Bruce were enshrined in the HOF. Unlike a certain wide receiver who is hoping to be enshrined, Kent seemed happy to stop and chat and pose for pictures with the fans who were around. I consider that meeting the high point of that event.

^THIS!

As a person fortunate enough to have experienced both the low points of the late 70's and early 80's, to the pinnacle of the early 90's Bills teams, Mr. Hull to me represented a feeling of pride in our town and football team. I looked at him specifically as a focal point to a great team in the sense that you KNEW these guys were the best. I can think of no better example of the greatness of the great Bills teams of the 90's than Kent Hull...

Hmmm...I wonder if you refer to the same wide reciever hoping to get into the HOF that was frequently condescending, rude, and mean to little kids hoping to get autographs and training camp....hmmmm.....

I, too, was fortunate to spend a few private moments with him @ the Bills 50th Anniversary Celebration a couple years ago -basically thanking him for the great memories and how important I felt he was to our success in his time here. He graciously thanked me then signed a mini throwback helmet I won there via silent auction, along with HOFer's Levy, Kelly, Joe D. & Billy Shaw. Looking at the helmet this morning, I'm saddened and more determined he belongs in Canton too.

My condolences to Kent's family & friends.

To the man:

Thank you for being the anchor of the team I fell in love with as a teen.

Rest In Peace!

To his family:

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

"Ascend may you find no resistance

Know that you made such a difference

All you leave behind will live to the end

The cycle of suffering goes on

But memories of you stay strong

Someday I too will fly and find you again"

Quite sad for such a good man to die so young. I had the chance to briefly meet him once and chat for a couple minutes in Canton in 2002 during the Hall of Fame week when Jim Kelly went in. Always smiling and never acting like he was too good to chat with anyone. What a loss. The Bills don't have near the success in the Super Bowl era without him, probably a top 5-7 center in NFL history.

Thanks Mr.Hull for your dedication through SB years and beyond. I always remembered the names of those players who played those years. Even though he wasnt the most popular name, he was an asset to the lockerroom and the O line. You played with the best and gave your best. RIP Kent Hull #67. My condolences to his family. I feel a piece of Bills nation is gone forever. Sad.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. We are all saddened by the passing of this obviously wonderful person and football player. I remember hearing Jim Kelly talk about Kent Hull as his best friend and saw several pictures of the two together at Jim's hunting lodge in Elicotville. Every is talking about his character as a person before his accomplishments as a football player, and I think that is probably the way he'd want to be remembered. RIP Mr. Hull.

howard simon just started crying.

He's not the only grown man to get a little choked up this AM...I know the morning drive was tough for me listening to Tasker and Talley...Even Robi's segment was a tribute to #67...He will be sorely missed...It's obvious... B-)

Cause of death is supposedly a heart attack... just got my blood work back this morning and it has me thinking at 38 what I need to do.

Maybe in death he can promote more awareness towards heart health... just a positive thought at this very sad time.

Cause of death is supposedly a heart attack... just got my blood work back this morning and it has me thinking at 38 what I need to do.

Maybe in death he can promote more awareness towards heart health... just a positive thought at this very sad time.

My father died at 59 on his second heart attack. Immediately after, my doctor put me on cholesterol pills and I've been on them ever since (12+ years). I'm only 40, but who knows...

It could simply be that Hull had heart issues and never knew it. I know guys who don't take care of themselves at all and (at the moment) have no health issues whatsoever. Kent might have been in great shape, but his heart just wasn't strong enough to last anymore.

From "Then Levy said to Kelly..."

A Hull of a Center

Buffalo's 1986 training camp was in full swing when Kent Hull landed in Fredonia following three seasons with the USFL's New Jersey Generals. The free-agent center chose to sign wiht the Bills out of nine NFL suitors, and it took all of five days before he was atop the depth chart and starting in the third pre-season game.

"I was coming out of the USFL, and I really hadn't proved myself, and I just wanted a chance" Hull said. "I told my wife that I was going somewhere where there was a need for me and not necessarily for the money. Buffalo had Tim Vogler as the starting center, and he injured his knee and was going to be out for six weeks. I said 'I know I'll get six weeks in', so I picked Buffalo just to show what I could do. It was the best decision I ever made in my life."

Hull and quarterback Jim Kelly became members of the Bills the same day and helped the team become contenders three seasons later by reaching the 1988 AFC Championship game against Cincinnati. Two season after that they were the conference champions for the first of four consecutive years.

"There were a lot of factors, and Coach Levy obviously was the largest factor. I think the prior coaching staff was more of a boot camp type deal. When Mav came in it became 'Let's work hard, but let's work smart.' He knew how to treat players," said the three time Pro Bowl slection. "Instead of bringing a brown bag to the stadium with you, we had lunches served to us. And you weren't scared about beig released the next day. I think it's when we became a family and a team. And when you do that, I think you perform like that. The different make-up of every player, when you become a family like that, there are no differnces. Marv brought that to us."

Rretiring after the 1996 campaign, Hull brought 11 seasons of stability and leadership to the Bills.

"The thing that I'm most proud of is the accomplishments of the people around me. Jim Kelly going into the Hall of Fame. Marv Levy going into the Hall of Fame. I look at the things that Thurman Thomas has done. Andre Reed, James Lofton. I'm proud that I had something to do with what they did," said Hull, a team captain during his final seven seasons. "As an offensive lineman, if you're in the paper, usually it's bad. That's the way it is, and you understand that going into the position. When you pick up that paper Monday morning after a win, it says, 'Jim Kelly threw for 300-some yards, sacked one time'. Or 'Thurman Thomas rushes for 200-some yards.' That's where most offensive linemen get their gratification. If you look back, it was a very unselfish offensive line. They did not want to be in the spotlight. We got our gratification picking up that paper on Monday and seeing what th epeople around us did."

- Jim Gehman

My father died at 59 on his second heart attack. Immediately after, my doctor put me on cholesterol pills and I've been on them ever since (12+ years). I'm only 40, but who knows...

It could simply be that Hull had heart issues and never knew it. I know guys who don't take care of themselves at all and (at the moment) have no health issues whatsoever. Kent might have been in great shape, but his heart just wasn't strong enough to last anymore.

Just thinking about it, because 50 is just way too young in my mind- tough to fathom.

"The Leflore County Coroner's Office has confirmed that Hull passed away from a G.I bleed, similar to an aneurysm in the stomach area.

He had been battling liver problems for several years,"

Sorry to see you go Kent...you were one of my favorites.

"The Leflore County Coroner's Office has confirmed that Hull passed away from a G.I bleed, similar to an aneurysm in the stomach area.

He had been battling liver problems for several years,"

Sorry to see you go Kent...you were one of my favorites.

I have never heard of that before... that must be rare. Anyone with a medical background have any more information?

I remember how sad it was when Kent Hull announced his retirement. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was just before Jim Kelly announced his retirement. It was sad because you just knew that this incredible run of great Buffalo Bill football and great football players was coming to a close. RIP, Kent.