Beating the Raiders

RevWarRifleman

Great win for the Bills out in KC!! Enjoyed it thoroughly.

But now we have the Raiders at the Ralph. I don't know that much about the Raiders,(because I dislike them so much) other than they have a "pretty good" defense.

So, for the more informed Bills fans that do know about the Raiders, what are some key things, offensively & defensively, the Bills must do to win the game.

PS: posters that want to put silly stuff on like, "score more points than they do....." need not respond.

Ok, fire away.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To me, the Raiders seem similar to the Chiefs, or at least what people expected the Chiefs to be like before we rolled them yesterday. Good D, strong running game,average at best QB. Their RB's are more of the bruiser type than Charles though. I don't know much about their receivers, and I'm not sure how their defensive backfield will be without Asomugha either. If we can stop the run and establish a balanced offensive attack we should win, especially with the crowd high on a big win on the road the previous week and it being the home opener :thumbsup:

They were top 2 in rushing last year. So stop the run would be the biggest thing working towards a win. Make Campbell beat us through the air. If we can do that we can tee off on Campbell with the pass rush and bull rushes of Merriman, Kelsey, Dareus and Williams and let our LBs and DBs make plays. Doing what they do best.

On offense we need to keep a steady run/pass selection of playcalls. Make sure to keep the run at the right times but keep the pass going to keep them honest and turning over those first downs. Fitz is gonna need to be consistant again for sure.

We should win this ine by 2 TDs if all that happens. And send us soaring extremely high heading into week 3 at home against the Pats. If we do this and are able to defeat the Pats this year I see us turning things around this year instead of next year. I'd predict a 9-7 or 10-6 record with playoffs in our future.

They were top 2 in rushing last year. So stop the run would be the biggest thing working towards a win. Make Campbell beat us through the air. If we can do that we can tee off on Campbell with the pass rush and bull rushes of Merriman, Kelsey, Dareus and Williams and let our LBs and DBs make plays. Doing what they do best.

On offense we need to keep a steady run/pass selection of playcalls. Make sure to keep the run at the right times but keep the pass going to keep them honest and turning over those first downs. Fitz is gonna need to be consistant again for sure.

We should win this ine by 2 TDs if all that happens. And send us soaring extremely high heading into week 3 at home against the Pats. If we do this and are able to defeat the Pats this year I see us turning things around this year instead of next year. I'd predict a 9-7 or 10-6 record with playoffs in our future.

I definitely agree on the strategy. If theres a team that most closely resembles the chiefs in the NFL its definitely the raiders. They rely on their run game to set everything else up. After losing asoughma they should be a lot less experienced in the secondary.. let's hope fitz can take advantage of that.

The Raiders were one of the few teams that actually got worse in the off-season. They took a beating in free agency, losing LG Robert Gallery, CB Nnamdi Asomugha, and TE Zach Miller. Kevin Boss was signed to be Miller's replacement (although not quite the receiver Miller is), but there is no replacement for Asomugha and Gallery, despite busting at tackle, was a solid LG. They also lost QB Bruce Gradkowski who replaced an ineffective Jason Campbell at times last year.

Last season the Raiders pass defense was second in the league. This was, in part, due to their porous run defense (similar to us). Expect that to drop precipitously with the departure of Asomugha. Stanford Routt is a solid corner, but there is a drop-off after him. There should be plenty of opportunities to pass the ball against this Oakland defense. And although their defensive line has Richard Seymour (who is still playing at a high level) and an overpaid Tommy Kelly, I wouldn't stay up late worrying about QB pressure. Their run defense, led by second-year man Rolando McClain, should be improved, but to what degree?

On offense, Oakland has a formidable running attack led by former Razorback Darren McFadden and Michael Bush. Last year Oakland led the league in 20+ and 40+ runs, and were second in rushing touchdowns. They also brought in Rock Cartwright, but he's getting pretty old and wouldn't expect him to be much of a threat at this point in his career. Passing you've got the streaky Jason Campbell and a bunch of young, unknown receivers (sound familiar?). The WR I would be most worried about (especially with the injury to Murphy) is Jacoby Ford. He's just about the fastest man on the planet.

Injuries:

TE Kevin Boss (aforementioned)

S Michael Mitchell (the bizarre 2nd round draft pick out of Ohio who most teams had a 7th round/FA grade on coming out of college)

WR Louis Murphy (an up-and-coming Florida WR who was poised for a breakout 3rd season, overshadowing the disappointing Darrius Heyward-Bey)

LB Darrius Blaylock (never heard of him)

Hope this helps.

Will have an educated analysis after the game tonight.

But until then, I will say they are likely better than the Bills were at the start of last year: They have the sense to make Trent Edwards a third-stringer. :pirate:

My thoughts: Bowling ball running back. Weak passing game. An elusive but intellectually-challenged QB who scored like a 6 on the Wonderlic. A weak run defense, but solid secondary. That's just speculation, though.

Barring any amazing play tonight, I think we are by far the better team. Haven't really felt that about any opponent in several years. I won't end with the "it's only the first week" cliche. I do think we're solid. But I will end with "let's see how we look against New England" cliche before I start getting all starry eyed.

The Raiders were one of the few teams that actually got worse in the off-season. They took a beating in free agency, losing LG Robert Gallery, CB Nnamdi Asomugha, and TE Zach Miller. Kevin Boss was signed to be Miller's replacement (although not quite the receiver Miller is), but there is no replacement for Asomugha and Gallery, despite busting at tackle, was a solid LG. They also lost QB Bruce Gradkowski who replaced an ineffective Jason Campbell at times last year.

Last season the Raiders pass defense was second in the league. This was, in part, due to their porous run defense (similar to us). Expect that to drop precipitously with the departure of Asomugha. Stanford Routt is a solid corner, but there is a drop-off after him. There should be plenty of opportunities to pass the ball against this Oakland defense. And although their defensive line has Richard Seymour (who is still playing at a high level) and an overpaid Tommy Kelly, I wouldn't stay up late worrying about QB pressure. Their run defense, led by second-year man Rolando McClain, should be improved, but to what degree?

On offense, Oakland has a formidable running attack led by former Razorback Darren McFadden and Michael Bush. Last year Oakland led the league in 20+ and 40+ runs, and were second in rushing touchdowns. They also brought in Rock Cartwright, but he's getting pretty old and wouldn't expect him to be much of a threat at this point in his career. Passing you've got the streaky Jason Campbell and a bunch of young, unknown receivers (sound familiar?). The WR I would be most worried about (especially with the injury to Murphy) is Jacoby Ford. He's just about the fastest man on the planet.

Injuries:

S Michael Mitchell (the bizarre 2nd round draft pick out of Ohio who most teams had a 7th round/FA grade on coming out of college)

WR Louis Murphy (an up-and-coming Florida WR who was poised for a breakout 3rd season, overshadowing the disappointing Darrius Heyward-Bey)

Hope this helps.

Excellent write-up!

I plan to watch the game tonight to get an idea... I feel like the Raiders are another of those "bad" but could possibly "surprise" teams, like the Bills in many ways.

Defensively we need to focus on stopping the run as many have said and will say, but we also need to play the secondary back and take away the deep pass. With regard to Jason Campbell, think a competent version of JP Losman. He is an average starting quarterback at best but he throws a tremendous deep ball, and has a cannon. Pair that with Jacoby Ford and Heyward-Bay on the outside and this is a team designed to get the ball downfield through the air. The secondary must be ready for this.

The coaches need to be ready for it too. If you force Campbell to throw underneath all game he WILL make mistakes. The front 7 keys on McFadden, the back 4 take away the bomb.

I'm not sure what Oakland does defensively but I believe they are stout up the middle personnel-wise. We had some success at Arrowhead running off tackle between Bell and Levitre, that's something you'd want to continue. As always, if you can get the ground game working, you can use play action and that opens up the entire playbook and makes you near-impossible to defend if you execute. Gailey likes to come out spreading the field and firing, which then opens up the run and in turn activates play action. It'll be interesting to see how he comes out offensively this week.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

Bills fans must fill the stadium and make more noise than they ever have before. I'm talking more than Cowboys Monday Night level.

PTR

By the way, the Cowboys lost in a very similar fashion last night, it seemed. Too bad it was to the Jets.

Edited by GOBILLS78

If the bills play like they did on Sunday.....this should be no problem.

The Raiders are known for solid defense....but I dont know that their defense is any better then the Chiefs.

They have a pretty darn good running back....and the Raiders are ALWAYS biult on speed so they have fast wide receivers. They lost their pro bowl TE Zach Miller to free agency then replaced him with Kevin Boss who is not as good.

Their OL is sub par.....the fans would like to hang their QB

If we dont take them lightly and play with intensity we should get this.

Edited by John from Hemet

Injuries:

Hope this helps.

Hope it helps? You better believe it! Excellent post G of L! Thanks so much for taking the time & sharing the expertise.

I could be wrong. Because the signs point to W. But i am worried for this game. As with most any team and parity, Oakland could beat us and probably should.

We played reasonably solid last week on both sides of the ball. This could be Wanny/George edwards game to win or lose.

thanks for the clear and present state of the Raiders. Very well written and appreciated!

The Raiders were surprisingly decent last year, but since then have changed HC's, lost their best players on offense (and that player is someone most wanted, myself included, and he had just 2 catches for 19 yards yesterday) and defense, and will be playing their 2nd straight game on the road, clear across country, after a short week. I won't predict a Chefs-type blowout, but it shouldn't be a close game.

I could be wrong. Because the signs point to W. But i am worried for this game. As with most any team and parity, Oakland could beat us and probably should.

We played reasonably solid last week on both sides of the ball. This could be Wanny/George edwards game to win or lose.

thanks for the clear and present state of the Raiders. Very well written and appreciated!

Seriously? We played excellent in all 3 phases of the game.

Raiders also have new coach and no off season to work together.

But Hue Jackson was their offensive coordinator last year and the offense and defense are largely the same as last year.

The Raiders have a lot of very talented players that no one has ever heard of.

Defensively they can generate pressure with a 4-man rush and they have good coverage players.

Offensively their O-line appears not to have missed a beat and their running game will be a huge challenge. McFadden is outstanding and Michael Bush is a very physical runner. They've yet to unveil rookie speedster Taiwan Jones.

The Raiders could be one of this year's big surprise teams. They are supremely athletic and large and will present a very stern test to our Bills. If the Bills don't take this game seriously, they will lose.

<br />But Hue Jackson was their offensive coordinator last year and the offense and defense are largely the same as last year.<br /><br />The Raiders have a lot of very talented players that no one has ever heard of.<br /><br />Defensively they can generate pressure with a 4-man rush and they have good coverage players.<br /><br />Offensively their O-line appears not to have missed a beat and their running game will be a huge challenge. McFadden is outstanding and Michael Bush is a very physical runner. They've yet to unveil rookie speedster Taiwan Jones.<br /><br />The Raiders could be one of this year's big surprise teams. They are supremely athletic and large and will present a very stern test to our Bills. If the Bills don't take this game seriously, they will lose.<br /><br /><br />

You can say that again. I thought the raiders looked pretty good tonight despite tough conditions (playing in denver, in the rain). I've never been a big fan of McFadden, but he was impressive today. Maybe it's because of denvers terrible run D. Maybe it's because they're dam good running the ball. Their fullback, Reece, looks like a ball player. Wish we had him. Their D looked big and tough. Not sure if Freds gonna rushnfor 100 vs them next week. Like you said, we will lose if we dont them seriously.

But Hue Jackson was their offensive coordinator last year and the offense and defense are largely the same as last year.

The Raiders have a lot of very talented players that no one has ever heard of.

Defensively they can generate pressure with a 4-man rush and they have good coverage players.

Offensively their O-line appears not to have missed a beat and their running game will be a huge challenge. McFadden is outstanding and Michael Bush is a very physical runner. They've yet to unveil rookie speedster Taiwan Jones.

The Raiders could be one of this year's big surprise teams. They are supremely athletic and large and will present a very stern test to our Bills. If the Bills don't take this game seriously, they will lose.

Great points. This is a game we could easily have lost last year, so I have to believe Chan will have the team prepared. A good early test to show just how far we've come on run D.

I hate to poop in everyones Flutie flakes, but the Raiders are the visigoths of the NFL. These guys are straight-up thugs. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually concerned for Fitz's safety here. Richard Seymour is a brutal, relentless, predator, and Rolando McClain's highlight reel looks like a promo for the UFC. These guys are big, physical, and very, very, beligerent. In my messed-up way of thinking, the only way to beat them, is to beat them up. I expect this game be a supreme test of physical prowess, and a wake-up call for our o-line. NOW would probably be a good time for Tyler Thigpen to start warming up.

Edited by #34fan

McFadden is a game changer, and offensively he is the key. I am hoping that Aaron Williams get some needed experience in this game to prepare him for the Pats the week after (Brady is gonna pick on him if he starts).

Defensively Mclain and Seymour are the big concerns.

All the intangibles point to a Bills victory (short week, home opener)and I expect the Bills to win. But it won't be as easy as some might think given the Raiders recent history.

Yep stop DMC is #1. Dude has become a very good RB who can take it to the house on any play. Campbell is a meh QB make him beat us but they have QUICK WRs. Ford, DHB, Moore those guys can really fly.

They have a nice front 7 as well, were number 2 in sacks last year and really got after Orton week 1. Pass pro. is gonna have to have a nice game. Houston, Seymour, Shaughnessy, Wimbley, McClain those are some good young player in thier front 7.

Yep stop DMC is #1. Dude has become a very good RB who can take it to the house on any play. Campbell is a meh QB make him beat us but they have QUICK WRs. Ford, DHB, Moore those guys can really fly.

They have a nice front 7 as well, were number 2 in sacks last year and really got after Orton week 1. Pass pro. is gonna have to have a nice game. Houston, Seymour, Shaughnessy, Wimbley, McClain those are some good young player in thier front 7.

I don't recall any screen passes by the Bills against the Chiefs (I was watching it online and missed chunks of plays). They worked on screens quite a bit at training camp. I wonder if they might come into play more this week?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

'Nother thing we learned last night, if they reach our 46 yrd. line, put 3 points on the scoreboard for 'em...

The Polish Foot!

Jesus, that was impressive no? I know it is Denver and all..but that man can kick it.

In terms of the Raiders, they looked tough on both lines to me last night. The running game in particular looked strong, as as someone mentioned the FB, ( I think his name was Reese)is a converted WR so the man can get some yards.That DL is going to be a big test of for the boys protecting Fitz.