Indy radio host says Peyton Manning

papazoid

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick a fork in the Colts. They are done. The run is over even if Manning returns. They have a O line that has not jelled. NO running game. Collins looked bad last year and Painter should be a house painter. The Defense was built on attack speed. They do best when Peyton gives them a 14 point lead. When even or behind, they get crushed. Houston is ready to over take them for dominance in the division. The Titans and Jags are rebuilding but always play them tough. NO Manning equals no chance. Yes they can be bad enough to enter the Andrew Luck sweep stakes. Just our luck.

Remember when Brady went down in week 1 and it looked like the season was over? Manning is more valuable and the rest of the Colts less talented, but Kerry Collins also was the QB of a 13-3 team three seasons ago. I think they will play out the season even if Manning can't make it, and they will not get a chance to draft Luck.

The news about Peyton Manning’s injury is going to get worse before it gets better.

The latest from Colts information director/owner Jim Irsay, via Twitter:

“NFL Season opens 2nite!We had a good practice yesterday and r guys r fired up 4 the season.#18′s out for awhile,but compete,we will/BELIEVE,” Irsay wrote.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/colts-owner-peyton-manning-will-be-out-awhile/

Manning is expected to have surgery, miss “significant time”

With rampant rumors and reports regarding the status of quarterback Peyton Manning, a source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Manning could have neck surgery as soon today, and that he will miss “significant time” as he recovers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/manning-is-expected-to-have-surgery-miss-significant-time/

Wow. If Polian and his son "are all that", how could they let the QB situation develop to where if Manning can't play, their best bet is hauling Kerry Collins out of retirement?

Especially after Manning had the first neck surgery.

That's some sh** folks.

I cant tell if this is sarcasm???? So if one of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL goes down you are criticizing the GM for not having enough depth?

Manning is expected to have surgery, miss “significant time”

With rampant rumors and reports regarding the status of quarterback Peyton Manning, a source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Manning could have neck surgery as soon today, and that he will miss “significant time” as he recovers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/manning-is-expected-to-have-surgery-miss-significant-time/

Yep, Manning had surgery this morning. His 2011 season is done.

Haven't read through the thread so maybe someone else mentioned this already but here it is. A "friend" with some good inside knowledge of Indy says there's a good chance Manning will never play again. Or to put it the way he did, it was that the Colts won't be surprised if he doesn't play again. I guess this is a lot more serious than has been let on.

Haven't read through the thread so maybe someone else mentioned this already but here it is. A "friend" with some good inside knowledge of Indy says there's a good chance Manning will never play again. Or to put it the way he did, it was that the Colts won't be surprised if he doesn't play again. I guess this is a lot more serious than has been let on.

Any neck injury is serious business and it's possible he may never play again. But too soon to say for sure.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning had further neck surgery Thursday, sources familiar with the situation said. Manning decided to have the surgery, the sources said, after consultation with a half-dozen doctors who reached a consensus that the most viable option would be a one-level cervical neck fusion in the wake of his May 23 surgery to repair a bulging disk. It's unclear whether Manning would be able to return to play this season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6944302/indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-more-surgery-neck-sources-say

I cant tell if this is sarcasm???? So if one of the greatest QB's in the history of the NFL goes down you are criticizing the GM for not having enough depth?

Not sure if that was sarcasm, but I am serious with the same thought. The Colts team has masked a lot of deficiencies with PM's play. An excellent GM would have built a better overall team to the point that one player does not control the fortune of the franchise. At this point, we don't know how the Colts will play if PM does not return this year. But, it is a good test of Polian's team-building prowess. We will see - I think he was an excellent selector of talent but PM's success lulled him into a false sense of (over) confidence.

one less team to compete for a wild card.i always watch games from a perspective of " how will the bills benefit " mindset. i have the utmost respect for manning and it sure is sad, the colts are in trouble, to say the least, but it just reshuffles the wild card deck a bit.

Edited by dwight in philly

Not sure if that was sarcasm, but I am serious with the same thought. The Colts team has masked a lot of deficiencies with PM's play. An excellent GM would have built a better overall team to the point that one player does not control the fortune of the franchise. At this point, we don't know how the Colts will play if PM does not return this year. But, it is a good test of Polian's team-building prowess. We will see - I think he was an excellent selector of talent but PM's success lulled him into a false sense of (over) confidence.

The deficiencies are obvious when it comes to problems at LT, HB, and QB.

Tony Ugoh

Joseph Addai (he's a-aight, but not a star)

Donald Brown

Jim Sorgi

Curtis Painter

Dan Orlovsky

He hasn't really been the same Bill Polian in a while...

The deficiencies are obvious when it comes to problems at LT, HB, and QB.

Tony Ugoh

Joseph Addai (he's a-aight, but not a star)

Donald Brown

Jim Sorgi

Curtis Painter

Dan Orlovsky

He hasn't really been the same Bill Polian in a while...

IMHO, with a talent like PM at the helm, the Colts should have won more SBs.

With the talent the 90's Bills had, they should have won at least 1 SB.

With the talent that the 90's bills had, I'm almost disappointed we went to ONLY 4 super bowls, especially when you compare them to the watered down league of today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmGnHeylbDM

look at Thurman's runs. He was absolutely ridiculous. Those shotgun draw plays that busted 10+ yards over and over. Give me a break.

Plus, that defense.

I'm very pissed that we didn't win any super bowls back then, but that talent on the team was unmatched and never will be matched again.

With the talent that the 90's bills had, I'm almost disappointed we went to ONLY 4 super bowls, especially when you compare them to the watered down league of today.

youtube.com/watch?v=mmGnHeylbDM

look at Thurman's runs. He was absolutely ridiculous. Those shotgun draw plays that busted 10+ yards over and over. Give me a break.

Plus, that defense.

I'm very pissed that we didn't win any super bowls back then, but that talent on the team was unmatched and never will be matched again.

Too bad the Bills didn't face a joke of a team as weak as the 2006 Bears.

I must admit, seeing the bottom line today about Manning, was really sad. Peyton Manning is one of the best ever. To not have him on the field this season is a big blow to football fans everywhere. As a fan of the game, I will miss watching one of the Greatest Players Ever this season and I hope he returns someday. But if he isnt healthy, take the money (which he has earned either way) and retire. A neck injury is nothing to mess around with and his long term health is more important than this game

Don't overlook that the Bills also played in the 1988 AFC title game, losing to the Bengals, and that had this not happened in the following season's divisional playoff game against the Browns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OOWQxv2_M4

...it might have been 6 straight AFC title games and 5 straight Superbowl appearances. What the Bills of that era accomplished will never be repeated.

a glimmer of good news....

expert surgeon says Manning very likely to return (NOT career ending).

Dr. Wellington K. Hsu, an assistant professor at Northwestern University with a joint appointment in the department of orthopaedic surgery and department of neurological surgery, spoke with NFL.com on Thursday to shed light on the path facing Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who's recovering from his third neck procedure in 19 months.

Dr. Hsu has been recognized as an international leader in the operative treatment of cervical and lumbar degenerative disorders, motion-sparing technology and spinal cord injuries, and he has published a number of studies focused on NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players.

This is a pretty common surgery in professional and NFL players, and they do better than what many people think. I've heard people say it's really hard to get back from a neck injury, how if you have surgery, you don't come back, but that's simply not true. I think Peyton, being the stalwart that he is, playing the position that he does, has a very, very good prognosis for coming back.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

So if Peyton is done does that mean that this year is voided on his mega contract. Something about a pre-existing condition...

not sure, but Schefter just said that the Colts can get out of the mega-contract after 1 year for $26mil guaranteed. They have until February to cut him and buy him out for $26mil.

So if Peyton is done does that mean that this year is voided on his mega contract. Something about a pre-existing condition...

Per a league source, that new five-year, $90 million contract was given to Manning without the quarterback having to pass a physical. In other words, he got $20 million to sign, and the Colts didn’t insist on obtaining medical clearance that he can play before giving it to him. (He eventually passed a physical before being cleared to practice last week — before suffering the setback that caused the latest procedure.)

With the Colts choosing to keep Manning on the active roster, he’ll also pocket his $3.4 million base salary for the new season, along with a $3 million roster bonus tied to Manning being on the 53-man roster for any one game in 2011.

The next question, if Manning can’t play in 2011, becomes whether the Colts would pay him a $28 million option bonus, which is due early in the next league year. The Colts can avoid the payment only by cutting or trading Manning, and it would be shocking — actually, beyond shocking — if the team would sever ties with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/manning-got-his-new-deal-without-having-to-pass-a-physical/

Dr. Wellington K. Hsu, an assistant professor at Northwestern University with a joint appointment in the department of orthopaedic surgery and department of neurological surgery, spoke with NFL.com on Thursday to shed light on the path facing Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who's recovering from his third neck procedure in 19 months.

Dr. Hsu has been recognized as an international leader in the operative treatment of cervical and lumbar degenerative disorders, motion-sparing technology and spinal cord injuries, and he has published a number of studies focused on NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players.

This is a pretty common surgery in professional and NFL players, and they do better than what many people think. I've heard people say it's really hard to get back from a neck injury, how if you have surgery, you don't come back, but that's simply not true. I think Peyton, being the stalwart that he is, playing the position that he does, has a very, very good prognosis for coming back.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

I've had herniated discs twice in my back, painful. I had one in my neck once maybe 8 years ago. Unbelievably debilitating. I mean you can't move anything in your body without affecting your neck and head. With Manning's career, money, and the rest of his life in front of him, I'd quit

Plus, that defense.

With no salary cap or free agency back then, the Bills returned pretty much the same team for years in a row. You knew they were going to be good every year.

I must admit, seeing the bottom line today about Manning, was really sad. Peyton Manning is one of the best ever. To not have him on the field this season is a big blow to football fans everywhere. As a fan of the game, I will miss watching one of the Greatest Players Ever this season and I hope he returns someday. But if he isnt healthy, take the money (which he has earned either way) and retire. A neck injury is nothing to mess around with and his long term health is more important than this game

+1

I guess, they still have Peyton Manning and that team isnt all that bad if they can get a performance on par with the one fitzpatrick put up last season. But currently it doesnt look like they have that QB. I wouldnt fault polian for having poor back up QB's though. I do agree they should have won more Super Bowls but a lot of those playoff games they lost I really felt that they either had bad luck and it just wasnt their day or that Peyton choked and didnt show up like he needed to. A Hall of Fame QB always controls the fortune of a franchise, I mean how many hall of fame QB's have left teams or retired or been hurt for a season and the team was still good. The Brady injury is the exception not the rule.

Plus, that defense.

People forget that KC owned us during the regular season that year, and totally shut down our running game. Going into that playoff game, many of us were concerned that it would be a repeat, but all week the Bills were going into the game with the mindset that they were going to run the ball and run it down KC's throat. One of the great performances by the line and TT...

INDIANAPOLIS — Peyton Manning's doctors say his third neck surgery in 19 months went "very well, without complication" and that his prognosis for recovery is good.

Father and son doctors Robert Watkins Sr. and Robert Watkins Jr., who performed Thursday's surgery, issued the statement Friday. The surgery was performed at Marina Del Rey Hospital in California. Manning's previous two surgeries were at Northwestern Memorial in Chicago.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-09-10/doctors-mannings-surgery-went-very-well#ixzz1Xa2TcLuL

Wow. If Polian and his son "are all that", how could they let the QB situation develop to where if Manning can't play, their best bet is hauling Kerry Collins out of retirement?

Especially after Manning had the first neck surgery.

That's some sh** folks.

I was thinking the same thing. That could screw up their cap for awhile, assuming Manning collects even just the bonus money. Actually, you could question why Indy extended him without knowing the full extent of his neck injury

I agree that their contingency planning was not good… bringing in a washed up QB 6 weeks after he retired and 2 weeks before the season starts is not foresightful. The only slack I'll cut them is that the lockout kinda made the decision-making windows smaller. I agree that Polian's mystique has been tarnished some these past few years and it doesn't help that Manning's $28 million for this year was not contingent upon him passing a physical even though he ultimately did pass one (though probably not as rigorous as the one John McCargo failed).

Dr. Wellington K. Hsu, an assistant professor at Northwestern University with a joint appointment

So it's true!!!

They're prescribing medical marijuana for Manning!!!

Hope it doesn't make him so foggy that he has trouble running the no-huddle on his return… lotsa hand signals and gesticulating… can't be stoning and running that offense.

With regards to his neck problems, I mean we all saw this coming right? He only has the largest skull in the history of the NFL. I think Fitzy is the only one who rivals his cranial development.

Seriously, hope Peyton is okay and makes the right career decisions. And as was mentioned upthread, I hope the demise of the Colts this year opens up a playoff spot for our Bills.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Plus, that defense.

too bad we did not have the quality coaching to match the talent- especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Walt Corey was a complete joke and wasted a good portion of Bruce and Bennett's careers as pass rushers.

Keeping Corey was all on Marv

too bad we did not have the quality coaching to match the talent- especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Walt Corey was a complete joke and wasted a good portion of Bruce and Bennett's careers as pass rushers.

Keeping Corey was all on Marv

Wow. We actually agree on something. Corey was a mediocrity.