Carrington

5 Wide

Another bright spot of the night I thought was Carrington. The guy looks physically imposing and seems to still have some good speed to his game. A guy who can move at 310 coming off the edge is going to be interesting to watch. He should be able to physically dominate TE's who try to block him and cause some havoc in the run game as well. Here's to hoping anyway!

He started playing well after Chicago put in their second team. Before that, he did not do anything.

Not for nothing but their starters played about 7 plays. I was interested to see this lb experiment and was pleasantly suprised with the results. It will be interesting to see if he can do it against starter level talent but he wasn't really given the opportunity to last night.

another reason why you can't judge a player based on his rookie season.

I thought he had a great rookie year in limited action. I was very suprised he didnt play a lot more when Edwards went down. In fact, Edwards went down in the Steeler game and Carrington came right in and had a good QB pressure and a sack on back to back plays. Im expecting a lot from Carrington. Troup, not so much

I thought he had a great rookie year in limited action. I was very suprised he didnt play a lot more when Edwards went down. In fact, Edwards went down in the Steeler game and Carrington came right in and had a good QB pressure and a sack on back to back plays. Im expecting a lot from Carrington. Troup, not so much

Troup will be fine. He got some double teams and pushed the pocket. He's not a penetrator. Nice batted down pass. The club on his hand didn't help. Tough to shed blocks with that thing on.

Edited by Green Lightning

Not for nothing but their starters played about 7 plays. I was interested to see this lb experiment and was pleasantly suprised with the results. It will be interesting to see if he can do it against starter level talent but he wasn't really given the opportunity to last night.

Not for nothing, but you have no idea what you're talking about. The starting oline played the 1st half

Not for nothing, but you have no idea what you're talking about. The starting oline played the 1st half

Yes my mistake I watched the game with no volume last night @ a bar so when cutler came out I thought all the starters came out. It wasn't. Until I watched it on dvr this morning that I saw that. Thank you for pointing it out so kindly....

That said back to my original point I am very intrigued to see a 303lb linebacker. I would assume hell rush more than drop and it'll be more a part of their hybrid d but wow that is an impressive feat if he can pull it off.

Edited by section122

I thought so too but many here did not and had little or no expectation. I also think Troup will contribute.

I told people this last year when they were freaking out about Carrington......

Physically....the guy is an absolute beast.....he isnt just a big wide body run stop guy he was an extremely large country strong type who was athletic and could move.....he just needed technique work at 280 pounds

then he shows up this year at 305, just as fast, and looks like he has put in some work on his pass rush and leverage technique....THIS IS WHY HE WAS DRAFTED.....not for what he would do for us last year but for what he had te abilility to evolve into

And he isnt done......this defense is fricken scary

Physically....the guy is an absolute beast.....he isnt just a big wide body run stop guy he was an extremely large country strong type who was athletic and could move.....he just needed technique work at 280 pounds

then he shows up this year at 305, just as fast, and looks like he has put in some work on his pass rush and leverage technique....THIS IS WHY HE WAS DRAFTED.....not for what he would do for us last year but for what he had te abilility to evolve into

Its about time. Offense next year. :cry:

Yeah, I had to laugh at people saying he was a bust last year. Guy's from a small school. I think he'll work his way into the starting lineup at some point this year. And, like many D-linemen, it will probably take until his 3rd year to really break out.

Destroy Brady and Sanchez Destroy Brady and Sanchez Destroy Brady and Sanchez Destroy Brady and Sanchez Destroy Brady and Sanchez

Alex is and up and coming player but what we are doing with him is confusing to me. i wish i could be a fly on the wall when the def coaches talk about how they want the new guys to fit in the scheme, or fit the scheme for the new guys.

I am a Carrington fan and a Troup fan. And i do expect production from them this year

Levon kirkland

That's a great comparison.

Of course you have to totally ignore the fact that Kirkland was an inside 'backer and Carrington will never be anything close to that.

And that Carrington is about 30 lbs heavier.

And that Kirkland was about 10X faster

And that Carrington is about 5" taller.

And that Kirkland was a nickle LB cuz he was so good in coverage while the Bills dont even ask Carrington to zonedawg.

But if you ignore all those glaring differences, they do have a lot in common.

Like ummmmm, uhhhhhhh, errrrrr, uhhhhhhhh, they're both football players!

That's a great comparison.

Of course you have to totally ignore the fact that Kirkland was an inside 'backer and Carrington will never be anything close to that.

And that Carrington is about 30 lbs heavier.

And that Kirkland was about 10X faster

And that Carrington is about 5" taller.

And that Kirkland was a nickle LB cuz he was so good in coverage while the Bills dont even ask Carrington to zonedawg.

But if you ignore all those glaring differences, they do have a lot in common.

Like ummmmm, uhhhhhhh, errrrrr, uhhhhhhhh, they're both football players!

Actually sir, I watched Jim play instead of just looking up his bio. He played at 300 pounds for awhile and was not very fast.

Clearly I know the differences between them, I am simply naming the only other 300 pound linebacker I could think of

He started playing well after Chicago put in their second team. Before that, he did not do anything.

The success of most teams rely heavily on the depth of their rosters. With that said, if he looked very good against 2nd team players to you, then I think most people would agree that the guy is becoming a very strong depth guy. I see that as a positive, but hey, this is TSW after all where pessimism is in short supply, so welcome.

See this is more evidence of what I'm starting to call The Kelsay Question. If the Bills didn't operate in a parallel universe, Carrington would be a starter lining up at end, with his hand on the ground, in the 4-3 and nickel alignments, and Moats would be rushing the passer from the OLB spot. Instead, we have Kelsay as the starting DE (running into his own teammates on Saturday night, btw), Carrington playing second-team OLB, and Moats at ILB... (and Schobel needlessly retired, while I'm at it).

God save this franchise...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Agreed, I wasn't impressed last year but Carrington looked good with his added size. He looks determined. Heard really surprised me as well....Unfortunately Troup looks exactly like he did last year, the o-line moves him around with ease, and he doesn't use his size well at all. Heard looked very strong and aggressive, he was very quick off the line as well. The 2nd/3rd string o-line had problems with him all night. Troup against those very same lines simply got owned. Heard also showed the ability to sniff out the ball carrier and make tackles, something Troup does not do.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Actually sir, I watched Jim play instead of just looking up his bio. He played at 300 pounds for awhile and was not very fast.

Clearly I know the differences between them, I am simply naming the only other 300 pound linebacker I could think of

Levon Kirkland was not very fast? :huh:

The Stillers used him as a nickel LB for years because he could run 30yrds downfield with any TE in the NFL.

He's one of the most freakishly athletic 270+lb men to ever walk the planet Earth.

But yeah, he wasn't very fast. :lol:

Until the first time Carrington takes his hand off the ground and starts running stride for stride with the likes of Shannon Sharpe, it's a silly comparison.

Troup will be fine. He got some double teams and pushed the pocket. He's not a penetrator. Nice batted down pass. The club on his hand didn't help. Tough to shed blocks with that thing on.

That was one thing I noticed as well with Troup. In shedding blocks (with one arm/hand) he wasn't very successful.

See this is more evidence of what I'm starting to call The Kelsay Question. If the Bills didn't operate in a parallel universe, Carrington would be a starter lining up at end, with his hand on the ground, in the 4-3 and nickel alignments, and Moats would be rushing the passer from the OLB spot. Instead, we have Kelsay as the starting DE (running into his own teammates on Saturday night, btw), Carrington playing second-team OLB, and Moats at ILB... (and Schobel needlessly retired, while I'm at it).

It really is sad isn't it? I hadn't thought about the ramifications of keeping Kelsay in the lineup, until you pointed them out. We really moved a promising young OLB (Moats) to backup ILB in favor of keeping Kelsay on the field. Carrington, who is much bigger, stronger, and younger, has to play OLB so that Kelsay can remain on the field at DE.

Younger, faster, and more promising players, like Danny Batten, can't compete with Moats at OLB, because Kelsay remains on the field.

I don't understand the lovefest for the life of me. We've already demonstrated that we're in favor of playing youth and potential over average to above average veteran players. I don't even consider Kelsay average and that's the scary part of the equation. If anything, Kelsay is a backup and should assume that role.

That was one thing I noticed as well with Troup. In shedding blocks (with one arm/hand) he wasn't very successful.

damn him! he probably wasn't trying hard enough. Its just a broken hand, you sissy.

whats that?

No sir i did not say anything.

No sir dont kill me, sir. he said it mister troupe sir^ ^^^.

yes that guy up there ^ ^

and yes,i do think you are a very fine football player. sir.

This is a good point. If they can dump Evans for his age, not fitting the offense and to try some youth, then why not dump Kelsay for the same reasons?

Speculation: maybe they aren't as happy with the depth at DE/OLB as some posters here? Maybe he's viewed as insurance against Merriman suffering another leg injury?

Still it would be great to see Carrington really blossom into a solid player. The Bills drafts have been such a horror show, it would be a downright incredible turn of events. B-)

I think Carrington is looking really good so far this year. So I'm gonna pose a good question. What happens when je gets good enough to start? Who's spot will it be? Kelseys at OLB? Or the DE position (whoever starts opposite Dareus). My guess would be Edwards. Just think if we could get Moats into the OLB spot and then Carrington at RDE we could really be on to something. The ability to really rush the passer with either Moats or Merriman from the OLB spots and an absolutely sick pass rush from any one of our 3 DLmen.

The other question that is even more crazy is what happens if Trouoe or Heard or Jasper become dominating at being a TRUE DT? I know I'll get burned alive for this but Kyle Williams is probably worth a #1 if not #1+? draft picks. I'm not saying we should get rid of talent for nothing but if one of those guys actually performs well by next season do we Lee Evans Williams? Burn away!!

I think Carrington is looking really good so far this year. So I'm gonna pose a good question. What happens when je gets good enough to start? Who's spot will it be? Kelseys at OLB? Or the DE position (whoever starts opposite Dareus). My guess would be Edwards. Just think if we could get Moats into the OLB spot and then Carrington at RDE we could really be on to something. The ability to really rush the passer with either Moats or Merriman from the OLB spots and an absolutely sick pass rush from any one of our 3 DLmen.

The other question that is even more crazy is what happens if Trouoe or Heard or Jasper become dominating at being a TRUE DT? I know I'll get burned alive for this but Kyle Williams is probably worth a #1 if not #1+? draft picks. I'm not saying we should get rid of talent for nothing but if one of those guys actually performs well by next season do we Lee Evans Williams? Burn away!!

I'll burn the hell out of you for that... not sure if you're just trying to stir the pot a bit or if you are serious, but it's a ridiculous notion to trade Williams, and even the Bills on their worst day would not think of trading him (I hope anyway) As for who starts opposite Dareus, that would be Kyle Williams. They are not planning on using Williams at tackle in their 3-4 alignment so that renders Edwards as a backup in that scheme, which they will not use exclusively. I think Carrington takes the OLB spot held by Kelsay if it comes down to where he needs to be on the field.

I'm really excited about Batten at OLB. I would like to see Sir Carrington the third line up opposite Marcellosaur with Moats providing depth both inside and outside.