Jets prove adding top name Free Agents help

Chuckknox

It is much safer to add players with proven track records than hope to build in the draft. Much high chance of getting better players. Nix should make sure he does much more this year with proven free agents or trades.

its much easier to do with that whole uncapped year -- look for them to be in cap hell in coming years, even with contracts geared towards hitting this year.

dont they have edwards AND holmes AND harris as three huuuuge UFA's this upcoming offseason? just thinking offhand.

It is much safer to add players with proven track records than hope to build in the draft. Much high chance of getting better players. Nix should make sure he does much more this year with proven free agents or trades.

You can't do it all in the draft in todays league. Thats why it will take VERY long for the Bills if they don't sign a couple impact free agents.

Albert Haynesworth, Donovan McNabb, Larry Johnson, Philip Buchanon, Willie Parker...

How 'bout them Redskins? Umm, yeah, you were saying about free agents/spending cash??

LOL

but but but this one team did something different then we did and it worked that one time!

Jets are proving that you can win with an elite defense and average offense that coddles the quarterback position like a baby. That's about it.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

This is an argument that you cannot win. Unfortunately, both sides have their points and they are both equally valid. To say that this works is another thing. They took a major chance cutting Thomas Jones and picking up the overthehill, nearly done LT.

Holmes is a diva and as much a liability as he is an asset, while Edwards is close to a suspension. They have the benefit of these players still being good but they command huge salaries. The only thing that holds these massive egos in check is that their coach has a much bigger ego.

Jets are proving it's hell for the Bills to be in this division! We have to go against a team that been in the AFC championship game for 2 consecutive years and then you have Pats*. How do we ever get to the playoffs?

How did it work? They were in the AFC championship game last year without so e of those big name FAs.

You need to pick your FA's carefully but don't go overboard. If you depend on draft alone you will take much longer to build and may never get there.

You need an intellegent mix of both. That's why it bothers me when I here Nix say you build through the draft. I'm not sure how extreme he is with that philosophy.

Edited by VADC Bills

The playoffs show that anything is possible when you have 1)an elite defense and 2)you have a competent to outstanding TE.

For the Bills, neither is impossible to fix this coming draft and FA.

I think FAs on defense have more impact than on the offense.

Redskins prove adding top name free agents doesn't help. :oops:

its much easier to do with that whole uncapped year -- look for them to be in cap hell in coming years, even with contracts geared towards hitting this year.

dont they have edwards AND holmes AND harris as three huuuuge UFA's this upcoming offseason? just thinking offhand.

Ya this is a great point. After spending on free agents they will be in cap trouble, then they might, uh fail to make the playoffs for a decade or something.

Albert Haynesworth, Donovan McNabb, Larry Johnson, Philip Buchanon, Willie Parker...

How 'bout them Redskins? Umm, yeah, you were saying about free agents/spending cash??

LOL

Ummmmmm, those player suck.

The Jets won because they added proven talent:

L.T., Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Damien Woody, Jason Taylor, Calvin Pace , Bart Scott, Antonio Cromartie, Trevor Pryce, Tony Richardson... All of these players are guys who I would've wanted on my team.

Didn't realize all 3 wow.

What was their salary level this year? Was it much more than last?

Its about getting good players in any manner you can. I honestly think that for the Bills thanks to their economic situation they have to build through the draft until they build a winner. Once the Bills have a winning foundation or they overpay for talent they won't get free agents.

Its also about coaching the Bills need a staff that can develop its own players as well as take players from other teams that failed to develop and develop them. This team seems do make hay out of late round picks and UDFA's but until they hit on their 1st and 2nd round picks as well as get players in the 3rd and 4th round to be contributors this team won't go anywhere.

Edited by billsfan89

Jets are proving it's hell for the Bills to be in this division! We have to go against a team that been in the AFC championship game for 2 consecutive years and then you have Pats*. How do we ever get to the playoffs?

Beat them every once in a while?

By getting better than the teams in our division. Playing in a tough division makes you better able to get through the playoffs ... if you are up to the challenge of making the playoffs.

The Bills lost Super Bowls to the Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys. All teams from the same division.

Edited by Bob in STL

LOL

Thats a terrible defense. Doing something poorly isnt the same as doing something well.

I could discount building through the draft by saying "Look at teh Bills they alwasy have high picks but cant get better, building through the draft is not the way to go"

When the Jets traded for S Homles for a FIFTH ROUNDER I freaked because the guy is a bonafide stud. I remember fans on here saying that was "too much to give up" Holy sh*t did I miss something or is Wang really that good? I bet the stealers woulda taken our 4th over teh Jets 5th. Let me knwo when Easly is as good as Homles <_<

Thats a terrible defense. Doing something poorly isnt the same as doing something well.

I could discount building through the draft by saying "Look at teh Bills they alwasy have high picks but cant get better, building through the draft is not the way to go"

When the Jets traded for S Homles for a FIFTH ROUNDER I freaked because the guy is a bonafide stud. I remember fans on here saying that was "too much to give up" Holy sh*t did I miss something or is Wang really that good? I bet the stealers woulda taken our 4th over teh Jets 5th. Let me knwo when Easly is as good as Homles <_<

They had Holmes for 12 games of the regular season. He is a UFA next year. I hardly think he would have been a good pick-up for the Bills notwithstanding how well he has worked out for the Jets.

Edited by johnnyb

I think the Jets are proving that a franchise qb is a luxury, but not a necessity, in order to be a bonafide playoff team. If you can run and stop the run, you can beat even Manning and Brady in the playoffs.

Well, not really. Brady, Roethlsberger, the Mannings and Drew Brees have won ALL the SB's in recent memory.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

You're not allowed to point out how the Jets have spent 2 recent 1st round picks on CBs and traded for another.

Why not, the Bills have invested heavily in DB's, it's the obvious path to success.

Redskins prove adding top name free agents doesn't help. :oops:

this has been used ad nauseum on this board as a reason not to sign free agents. the fact is that the redskins, as bad as they've been, have been to the playoffs twice in the last 10 years. that's much better than none and i'd trade their last 10 years for ours.

You can't do it all in the draft in todays league. Thats why it will take VERY long for the Bills if they don't sign a couple impact free agents.

I don't think you can do it all in the draft anymore either. Because even if you do, you still have to compete with everyone else in the league for your own FAs. We drafted Greer, Clements, and Winfield. But then when their contracts ran out they went to the highest bidder. What do we do then, go back and draft more guys? Building solely through the draft was cool in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s. Then when you drafted a guy he couldn't go anywhere else. So once you drafted a good player he was yours. Now you draft a good player and he's yours for about 4 years, then he goes on the open market.

You gotta do both, or you'll be watching the playoffs on TV forever.

The Jets won because they added proven talent:

L.T., Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Damien Woody, Jason Taylor, Calvin Pace , Bart Scott, Antonio Cromartie, Trevor Pryce, Tony Richardson... All of these players are guys who I would've wanted on my team.

Interestingly, Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes were acquired via trade as was Antonio Cromartie. The others were indeed free agents. In some respects, the Jets are an excellent example that teams can indeed be built via free agency AND via trades. We often hear how it's best that teams are built through the draft…that free agency is not the way and that trades are "extinct" in the NFL. The Jets have done a nice job of debunking both of those myths…BUT

Didn't realize all 3 wow.

Besides, LaDanian Tomlinson, Santonio Holmes, and Braylon Edwards, the Jets free agents this offseason will be backup QBs Mark Brunell, Kellen Clemens, as well as David Harris, Antonio Cromartie, Tony Richardson, Brad Smith, Shaun Ellis, Brodney Pool, Eric Smith, Drew Coleman and others.

After already extending Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and Darrelle Revis, it's gonna be very hard for them to keep even 3-4 of these guys. This season appears to me to be the Jets best chance at a Super Bowl. They really seemed to have taken advantage of the uncapped year and are really built for a Super Bowl run this year.

Jets fans can take some solace in the fact that they have a nice young core at the essential positions (QB, LT, C, CB) but the Jets also have a lot of "short timers" and older players on the roster as well.

One other point is that the Jets have certainly spent a lot of money...but unlike in Washington DC, they're getting a lot of bang for their buck.

Kudos to Woody Wilson and Mike Tannenbaum.