Curveball

The bills select AJ Green from Georgia at #3. I really don't see it being beyond the realm of possibility: 1. Chan is an offensive guy; 2. I'm sure Chan heard plenty of AJ hoopla while he was coaching down there at GT; 3. AJ is arguably the best player in the entire draft; 4. We need offense.

Discuss.

Would make sense if they traded Lee Evans for something decent.

Otherwise we'd have TOO many receivers. The thing is - we aren't at the point where we can make this type of move. We SHOULD NOT be drafting any receivers or running backs with our top pick for a variety of reasons unless this guy is the next Jerry Rice.

The thing that makes Lee Evans attractive in a trade is his relatively low salary for the next 2 years.. But we'd have to get a real good pick in exchange otherwise it wouldnt make sense to replace him (unless you absolutely knew AJ Green is the better receiver)

We need to draft D, D and some more D.

JMO.

I simulated taking AJ Green in the first to see if this "Spiller-type" pick would hurt:

3 Buffalo A.J. Green WRF Georgia

34 Buffalo Stephen Paea DT34 Oregon State

68 Buffalo Jeremy Beal OLB34 Oklahoma or Matt Reynolds OT BYU

99 Buffalo Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

121 Buffalo Wayne Daniels OLB34 TCU

130 Buffalo Chris White ILB Mississippi State

164 Buffalo Derek Hall OT Stanford or Greg Romeus OLB34 Pittsburgh

195 Buffalo James Brewer OT Indiana

www.DraftTek.com

Green and Stocker give Fitz more weapons, Paea and Jeremy Beal,along with Chris White generate more pressure, and Hall and Brewer can be in the mix with Urbik, Wrotto, etc. for line positions.

One of the best things about AJ Green is that he's got a solid work ethic. He'd be more like Charles Johnson than Randy Moss in that sense. He's not a huge diva who puts himself before the team. He doesn't take plays off, doesn't know the meaning of alligator arms, and will give you 100%.

As much as I want to go D, I would not be upset if we picked this kid. He'd be the perfect type of WR for Fitzy.

with all due respect to the OP I really feel that once again we didn't improve this team in the areas that are needed. It's long overdue in addressing the defense. The perpetual carousel that this franchise has been displaying the last several years, drafting players at positions that have adequate talent (RBs and WRs) has run it's course. We are never are going to make progress by replacing our starters, we need to have new defensive players, primarily the front 7. Having a blue chip WR is great if you already have a great QB and OL in place but unfortunately we don't.

When you build a team in baseball, defensively you start by building up the middle. We need to employ this philosophy because this is we are the weakest. Build the front 7 and watch how our secondary will be able to take over a game.

How can you compare Moss to Keyshawn? They were very different players.

it's not a comparison of moss to keyshawn, but rather that AJ is a hybrid of both...the speed of Moss, with Keyshawn's ability to go over the middle

with all due respect to the OP I really feel that once again we didn't improve this team in the areas that are needed. It's long overdue in addressing the defense. The perpetual carousel that this franchise has been displaying the last several years, drafting players at positions that have adequate talent (RBs and WRs) has run it's course. We are never are going to make progress by replacing our starters, we need to have new defensive players, primarily the front 7. Having a blue chip WR is great if you already have a great QB and OL in place but unfortunately we don't.

When you build a team in baseball, defensively you start by building up the middle. We need to employ this philosophy because this is we are the weakest. Build the front 7 and watch how our secondary will be able to take over a game.

i would definitely want defense at #3 (dareus/bowers/fairley...heck, maybe even Quinn)...i'm just curious as to how people would welcome the possibility (and probably a decent one at that) of the bills taking AJ at 3. he's an amazing talent without a doubt.

Evans would probably be traded for a 5th rounder somewhere.

One thing we know is that, with the Bills, anything can happen on draft day. :rolleyes:

That said, this is from Allen Wilson's article in the Buffalo News Bills season post-mortem series...

Outlook: Wide receiver should be low on the offseason priority list. The top seven return as will Marcus Easley, who impressed before a knee injury in training camp ended his rookie year. The newfound depth has some people believing Evans should be traded. Gailey said an Evans trade is unlikely, but added, "I'm not gonna say anything's impossible." Getting rid of Evans would be risky because there's no guarantee the young receivers will duplicate this season's performance, and none of the other receivers can make defenses respect the deep ball like Evans.

Link - Receivers catching on quickly

...unless he was the next Jerry Rice.

I have to say, Jerry Rice wouldn't have had the career he had, wouldn't be the Jerry Rice we now know, if he were drafted to the Bills with the roster we have now. He was the right guy in the right place at the right time. Talent is always good to have, no matter where, but look how Arizona's offense was this year without a good QB - as opposed to the Warner days. Sure, A.J. Green might be great for our future threesome on offense - with Spiller as the R.B., and, who knows, maybe we snag the right QB in the second or third, and our offense begins tearing it up this year. If we took him and our offense ended up lighting it up this year, then no one would complain - we could still fix the defense next year.

Let's face it - although our offense looked markedly better than our defense, both were statistically bad. I think we all, mostly, want defensive players taken in an attempt to fix it - to make it our strong unit, and then we can finish polishing the offense next year, since it is capable of keeping us in games as is, as long as we don't need to score 30+ points a game. But, if we could fix our offense for good this year, then fine - I believe we're only 4 players on defense away from being legit.

The thing is, though, with a pick this high - and this has been brought up already - the player should be of the type that can't get had on the free agency block: QB's, D-Linemen, superior LT's. That, I think, is really the key point. If we're using the 3 pick, we should get the guy we can build a unit around. That, to me, looks like one of the big 4 defensive players - Bowers, Fairley, Quinn, or Dareus, or, the right QB - if he is good enough to solve our problems at QB, and to be "our guy" for the next decade.

it's not a comparison of moss to keyshawn, but rather that AJ is a hybrid of both...the speed of Moss, with Keyshawn's ability to go over the middle

i would definitely want defense at #3 (dareus/bowers/fairley...heck, maybe even Quinn)...i'm just curious as to how people would welcome the possibility (and probably a decent one at that) of the bills taking AJ at 3. he's an amazing talent without a doubt.

Evans can't be traded until a CBA is signed

The bills select AJ Green from Georgia at #3. I really don't see it being beyond the realm of possibility: 1. Chan is an offensive guy; 2. I'm sure Chan heard plenty of AJ hoopla while he was coaching down there at GT; 3. AJ is arguably the best player in the entire draft; 4. We need offense.

Discuss.

I know we had our disagreements re: Fitz vs. Luck, but I really think this could happen.....especially if Fairley is off the board.

I think trading Lee Evans and 4th rounder to the Chicago Bears for their 2nd rounder might be possible as well.

The Bills could use their 2nd to draft a RT(Demarcus Love, Marcus Cannon, Derrick Sherrod), and use the Bears 2nd to draft a DL--prefferably LSU's Drake Nevis.

Lets build an offense with our first two picks that Andrew Luck can walk right into when we draft him with the first pick in the 2012 draft. :ph34r::devil:

Flame Away!!!!!!!

Edited by Special K

If we take him, which I wouldn't be totally POed about, why would we have to trade Evans? Roscoe, SJ, Donald Jones, David Nelson, Roosevelt, Easley maybe are all decent players. But this is the bigs. You need monster talent everywhere. You need more than one hoss reciever (which is really all we have now). If we take him, trot him AND Lee out there along with Roscoe/SJ/Nelson.

Look at Baltimore. They had Derek Mason and Anquan Boldin and then went and got TJ WhoseYerMama. (Why didn't we pick up TJ?)

But then again, defensive front 7 would make me happier.

Discuss.

We need defense.

Edited by nucci

Discuss.

he could be the #1 player on their board. If he is and he's there, he'll be a bill. Wouldnt be surpised at all. Even if we hit on every pick this year and upgrade our D bigtime, our offense isnt ready to compete for a title. We're still years away, why not grab a stud WR if we deem him can't miss?

Drafting Green would really be a slap in the face to all the long suffering Bills fans. This would be just like the Spiller draft choice (1st pick in an area of low need), and that hasn't worked out to well, has it. Without drafting an impact defensive player, then how in heck is the Bills defense going to get better. The talent level on the Bills defense should be rated a "D" at best, maybe an "F".

I don't care if Green is a better version of jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald all in one, he can't catch a pass while the other teams offense is running for 250 yeard against the Bills defense.

If the Bills wanted to trade down wouldn't Green stand a good chance of being the partner's target? When do the Rams pick? How much would they give up to get Green to go with Bradford?

I love the player, and I'd be okay with the pick, but man this board would IMPLODE!

Drafting Green would really be a slap in the face to all the long suffering Bills fans. This would be just like the Spiller draft choice (1st pick in an area of low need), and that hasn't worked out to well, has it. Without drafting an impact defensive player, then how in heck is the Bills defense going to get better. The talent level on the Bills defense should be rated a "D" at best, maybe an "F".

I don't care if Green is a better version of jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald all in one, he can't catch a pass while the other teams offense is running for 250 yeard against the Bills defense.

Um, I may be wrong, but aren't the Bills in the very unique position of having more than 1 draft pick this year?

I would have no problem with it. Green has all the qualities that make star receivers in the NFL. He is a great route runner, understands coverages, can confuse DBs with different releases from the LOS, has speed to burn people deep, has a great work ethic, etc...

If he is BPA, then you go ahead and do it.

Edited by Fingon

Discuss.

probably has as much potential to be Calvin Johnson as he does Charles Rogers...

Discuss.

This has been discussed..

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/125277-lee-evans/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/125642-who-do-you-think-is-the-safest-pick-in-the-draft/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/125465-notes-from-the-o-line-from-buffalo-rumblings/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123605-my-thoughts-on-the-current-situation/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/124232-roscoe-should-he-stay-or-go/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/120686-what-position-would-you-draft/

I like the idea for our offense the guy catches everything and can sky to grab a ball thats 10 feet in the air and come down with it.

Think Michael Irving, or think of him as what the Cowboys got in Dez Bryant this year, an explosive player who can stretch the field.

Lee Evens hasn't been excited since JP was here throwing bombs to him for a 70 yard td's. Its time for Lee to go. Roscoe is also on a short list of receivers that could be cut or traded, he did revive his receiving career, but his poor punt returns has pushed him off the depth chart. Trading AJ Green for Roscoe is an upgrade for sure.

WR isn't our top need, DL is our top need, but we need to to be able to stretch the field and this kid will do that. We need to get a quality Ot then all the rest of our picks should be on defense if we select green.

Edited by Philhansonfan

Green, Nelson, Johnson, Evans, and Parrish. I would like having that set of wide receivers. Perhaps the only offensive player I'd be happy with us drafting at #3.

That's how I feel too. And the only reason I feel that way is because I live 45 min from Athens, GA and I have a comfort level with this kid's game. He's going to be a major star, IMO.