Chan Gailey admonishes a group of fans

Guest dog14787

"One of us, equals many of us

Disrespect one of us, you'll see plenty of us"

That's just flat wrong though. If I say Marshawn Lynch or Shawn Nelson are morons, that does not at all mean I think the Bills are morons, nor should it mean that. I may disrespect them, or criticize them, or other players, for on the field OR off the field sucktitude, but it has nothing to do with what I think of the 50 other Bills or team as a whole.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just flat wrong though. If I say Marshawn Lynch or Shawn Nelson are morons, that does not at all mean I think the Bills are morons, nor should it mean that. I may disrespect them, or criticize them, or other players, for on the field OR off the field sucktitude, but it has nothing to do with what I think of the 50 other Bills or team as a whole.

But that's the mentality you need to have as a team. You're a family. Sure your family members screw up, but you don't like anyone else disrespecting them. I can bust my brother's ball all I want but the second an outside does it, you're in for a fight. If you're divided, you fall. The Bills right now believe they are a playoff team and don't give a crap what the "experts" say. And Gailey defending Edwards only makes the team tighter. I love everything about it.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

But that's the mentality you need to have as a team. You're a family. Sure your family members screw up, but you don't like anyone else disrespecting them. I can bust my brother's ball all I want but the second an outside does it, you're in for a fight. If you're divided, you fall. The Bills right now believe they are a playoff team and don't give a crap what the "experts" say. And Gailey defending Edwards only makes the team tighter. I love everything about it.

:thumbsup:

Okay.

And objectively speaking, how would you compare the general behavior of the negative posters versus the positive posters?

Which group uses more profanity?

Which group uses more name calling?

Which group is more overzealous as far as taking EVERY opportunity to comment on a player?

I think if you're objective, then the answers to these questions are pretty obvious.

The subtext to the optimist versus pessimist argument is the well-behaved to poorly-behaved argument, IMO.

Objectivity is my specialty. Yes you are 100% correct as far as pessimism and optimism go. There is a LOT of that. BUT, do not mistake realism for pessimism. Do not mistake optimism for objectivity. Optimism implies hoping for the best of a bad situation. To do this you must acknowledge that the situation is bad. Being optimistic when things are going well isn't really being hopeful is it?

Interesting that this incident happened after the very LAST practice of training camp, just before the Bills huddle up into their string of closed practices. Not saying that Chan planned or staged this, but as a shrewd leader he had to know that speaking out today would help bring his team together at a critical time.

Gailey also stated today that he wasn't thrilled with his team's mental focus. By creating an "us vs. the world" mentality, he's conjuring up motivation and "edge" wherever he can find it. I like it.

Oh, so Bills fans should no longer single out any bad play or player on the team because that means you're going against the entire team? :wallbash:

We do have every right to boo. But why the hell would you go out of your way to go to a training camp practice you went to for free and bother a man while he is at work, getting ready for a game? People seem to forget these guys are at work. Why bother him there? Boo at the game if he srews up, but not while he's preparing for a game. It would be like booing a band during sound check. It's counterproductive. He is the QB for now so let him get his work in in peace. There isn't another QB coming right this second.

Why not just ask these "fans", where they work? Then load up the bus and let them see how much fun it is, especially when a lot of large men heckle them at work.

Guest dog14787

Oh, so Bills fans should no longer single out any bad play or player on the team because that means you're going against the entire team? :wallbash:

Trent Edwards although appreciative of Gailey defending him and the rest of the team the way he did actually seemed to bend more in favor of letting fans express themselves freely.

Chan Gailey on the other hand realizes for Trent Edwards to lead this football team he needs to be respected by all of his teammates so he's not going to stand idly by and watch a bunch of loudmouth showoffs run the leader of his football team into the ground.

Trent Edwards is not just any player, he's the QB/leader of the Buffalo Bills.

Gailey has grown on me a lot, but this is one thing I don't like. In essence, he's hurting the good fans who cannot get autographs because of a few bad apples. Not to mention that it's a fan's right to heckle. Not something I would do, but it's their right I think. It's part of the deal. Maybe less so at a free practice as opposed to paying for a ticket at a game, but still. There is still free speech and the fans have a right to yell. I don't mind him laying into those fans, that's actually pretty cool. If they can dish it out they can take it. But to stop his players from giving autographs to the good fans, too, who look forward to it doesn't seem right to me.

I take his 'call out' to be a team-building ploy, rather than anti-fan. In the vein of a Parcells-like reverse psyche job.

I suspect Gailey has very few cares about what fans think, but if he can rally the troups doing something like this (and using the in-house mouth piece to do it suggests as much), so be it...

I take his 'call out' to be a team-building ploy, rather than anti-fan. In the vein of a Parcells-like reverse psyche job.

I suspect Gailey has very few cares about what fans think, but if he can rally the troups doing something like this (and using the in-house mouth piece to do it suggests as much), so be it...

The more I thought about it, if it actually works to build the team "all for one one for all" concept, I'm happy to throw a couple little whiny snot-nosed autograph seekers under the bus for it. ;) I also think it was intentionally done as the last thing before camp ended, so for that I give him credit. And I don't at all mind him bashing the idiot hecklers.

Guest dog14787

To suggest ploy sounds premeditated in my opinion and it happened on the spur of the moment,

More a reflection of Gailey's no nonsense don't mess with my football team and its players attitude then anything.

I just saw the video - beautiful! They shut up pretty quick when Chan started yelling at them, huh?

I like this hire more and more all the time.

What video? I have been through this thread, was it removed? Thanks

Yeah, Maddog.

Your post was seriously one of the worst in a long time. Sorry buddy. I think I disagreed with every word in it except "the" and "it."

edit: I also agreed with your use of the word, "that."

ok. so I started reading this thread early to about page 5. Then got busy with dinner. went out drinking after that and here we are 12 f'ing pages later. and a bit buzzed I must say.....but i'm with san jose on this one for sure. I'm not even gonna comment on your earlier stuff maddog. It's not relevant anymore.

what a great thread though. very entertaining.

Way to go Chan! I like you more everyday.

I love it. I bet the players do too.

Anybody that heckles our own players in practice, no matter who it is, shouldn't be considered a fan at all. Rather, they are immature aholes that simply act to drag our fanbase down to the lowest common denominator. Our fanbase used to be one of, if not the best in the business. Not anymore. Just look at this board.....there used to be a lot of great posters who debated their points with respect....though some remain you don't hear from them as much and some who contributed greatly, like Lori, have been driven off.....maybe once school starts it will get back to normal

I don't mind heckling in certain cases. If a guy isn't trying hard enough, particularly. Billy Jo Hobert, for instance. Or guys who loaf for whatever reason.

But if the players are trying as hard as they can, I think it's kind of pathetic.

And I don't see anyone on this team not trying.

"One of us, equals many of us

Disrespect one of us, you'll see plenty of us"

+1 :thumbsup:

Why not just ask these "fans", where they work? Then load up the bus and let them see how much fun it is, especially when a lot of large men heckle them at work.

That assumes they work. I assume they are living in Mommy and Daddies basement.

From some reports I heard, the hecklers were hurling profanity and other crude language. If true, I have even less of a problem with what Gailey did than I did before. And in the end, the players appreciate something like that from their coach and will work harder as a result. And ultimately that's what more important, rather than some idiot fans getting admonished.

Edited by Doc

From some reports I heard, the hecklers were hurling profanity and other crude language. If true, I have even less of a problem with what Gailey did than I did before. And in the end, the players appreciate something like that from their coach and will work harder as a result. And ultimately that's what more important, rather than some idiot fans getting admonished.

+1000000000000

I firmly beleive "paying customers"...fans have the absolute right to voice displeasure. But like everything else in life, theres a time and place for things. And a practice setting, and using lowbrow langauge isnt it.

And then theres the whole thing of Chan showing himself as a leader here and "defending" his team. Good on him.

If that's true, the SJF/Bills security crew really blew it by not throwing them out promptly.

The stuff I heard last week didn't include any profanity that I noticed, anyway.

He did do something about it. It told the fans that the Bills are a team and you insult one you insult them all. That is a hell of a coach if you ask me.

Hey you kids get off my lawn!

You would swear someone invented a cure for cancer with all the publicity this is getting. Can you say, "Who cares?"

Hey you kids get off my lawn!

You would swear someone invented a cure for cancer with all the publicity this is getting. Can you say, "Who cares?"

If this means that yelling at a bunch of 11 year old kids gets a win somewhere down the road, I'm all for it... :rolleyes: