Chan Gailey admonishes a group of fans

Guest dog14787

On second thought, maybe Chan is right. The nasty old fans should not say anything bad about little Trent. They'll hurt his feelings.

I heard the NFL was instituting rule changes this year to help with this. We don't want anyone feeling bad so they won't be keeping score in any of the games and at the end of the season, everyone gets a trophy.

What a Joke. Suck it up, Trent. What's next: Is you Mom going to run out on the field to protect you?

Again, I can agree somewhat that I would like to see something resembling fire coming from the starting QB, and definitely agree the everyone gets a trophy- thing is a travesty and will lead to a nation of imbecile's incapable of handling any adversity. Hardly teaching life skills.

But I diverge from you on not seeing this as 1.) idiotic behavior by a few idiots, and 2.) not recognizing that somebody in the Bills organization has enough pride and swagger to tell somebody to shut up.

Let's be honest, the head coach of a professional football team had to come over to admonish a collection of baffoons that expect the team to win in a practice setting, it must have been pretty bad. But he is leading by example. He made a statement. We are a team. He is the leader. Follow him, stick together. A house divided cannot stand, but together we can win.

And it is training camp. Gailey could have used this as a ploy to do just that. Go out and make a statement in a 'safe' setting.

Trust me. The players saw this. This is all part of changing the culture of losing.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there in my pirate costume. Here's the exchange I witnessed:

Crowd members: "You suck Trent. We know football better than Gailey and you suck. We listen to the smart people on message boards, and therefore we know a lot about football."

Gailey: "We are a busy and dynamic organization whose mission needless effrontery and harassment can only hinder. If you molest us again, sirs, you may feel the sting of the lash across your pitiful shoulders."

Crowd members: "Speak slower please. May I have a towel for my drool?"

Gailey: "This liberal doxy must be impaled upon the member of a particularly large stallion."

Crowd members: "I need my diaper changed. Time for my nappy!"

My point is that Chan should be focusing on turning Trent into something other than a crappy QB or finding a suitable replacement rather than lashing out at the fans. The timing of this episode just gives me the feeling than Chan is feeling the heat. None of his QBs are performing well enough. I still think putting Trent at the top of the pecking order was a stunt intended up pushing the other 2 to perform better. I don't honestly believe that a man who has been around professional football as long as Gailey can honestly believe Trent is a viable NFL starter. The problem is that his bluff failed. Now he is stuck with Trent and he is cracking under the pressure.

I promise you I will be heckling Trent on Saturday if he performs poorly just as I will cheer for him in the unlikely event that he does something exciting. He had a decent game last week, lets hope he keeps it up. If he doesn't, he's going to hear it and so will Chan.

Crowd members: "You suck Trent. We know football better than Gailey and you suck. We listen to the smart people on message boards, and therefore we know a lot about football."

Gailey: "We are a busy and dynamic organization whose mission needless effrontery and harassment can only hinder. If you molest us again, sirs, you may feel the sting of the lash across your pitiful shoulders."

Gailey: "This liberal doxy must be impaled upon the member of a particularly large stallion."

Damn, now I really wish I had recorded the camp feed today ;)

If it had been me I would have banned the SOBs from attending any games this year.

1) The Bills are having a hard enough time selling tickets as it is.

2) They would mix in fine with the 20000 drunken idiots there any given Sunday.

Edited by CodeMonkey

ice like people were there in his pirate costume. Here's the exchange I witnessed:

ice like person: "You suck Trent. We know football better than Gailey and you suck. We listen to the smart people on message boards, and therefore we know a lot about football."

ice like person: "Speak slower please. May I have a towel for my drool?"

ice like person: "I need my diaper changed. Time for my nappy!"

Fixed

Edited by Guffalo

Standing united means allot to our new HC Chan Gailey, and he's not just talking about the team,

Chris Brown reports http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/24/chan-admonishes-group-of-fans/

Good for Chan speaking out and promoting team unity. Gailey has already shown more balls than Crafty Dick Jauron did in his reign of terror.

The plot thickens.

Apparently a fan has come forward to issue a public

My point is that Chan should be focusing on turning Trent into something other than a crappy QB or finding a suitable replacement rather than lashing out at the fans. The timing of this episode just gives me the feeling than Chan is feeling the heat. None of his QBs are performing well enough. I still think putting Trent at the top of the pecking order was a stunt intended up pushing the other 2 to perform better. I don't honestly believe that a man who has been around professional football as long as Gailey can honestly believe Trent is a viable NFL starter. The problem is that his bluff failed. Now he is stuck with Trent and he is cracking under the pressure.

I promise you I will be heckling Trent on Saturday if he performs poorly just as I will cheer for him in the unlikely event that he does something exciting. He had a decent game last week, lets hope he keeps it up. If he doesn't, he's going to hear it and so will Chan.

There is a total difference between heckling in a real game environment (where one pays mucho $$$$), and heckling in a practice setting.

One is expected par for course.

The latter is just plain stupid.

The plot thickens.

Apparently a fan has come forward to issue a public

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:thumbsup:

As Red said Trent seems a bit too aloof. He needs more fire in his belly. He comes off as a very diplomatic sort, perhaps too diplomatic. He doesn't seem to be one who would start controversy. He's so damn mellow. I wish he would be more direct with his responses and start walking with the demeanor of Gailey. A more outspoken qb as a leader is one that the players would be more willing to follow. Hopefully Chan's mentality rubs off on him. Too damned calm and mellow. I'm still willing to give him a chance this season.

There is a total difference between heckling in a real game environment (where one pays mucho $$$$), and heckling in a practice setting.

One is expected par for course.

The latter is just plain stupid.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:thumbsup:

You're probably right. Trent is really good in practice. It's just in the regular season games that he sucks. Maybe I will wait til the season opener to boo him. He'll probably be injured by then, so I can save my voice.

!@#$ Him. Trent sucks and the fans are sick of his ass being on the field let alone this team. If a team sucks or a player sucks its every fans right to boo or heckle or whatever. If Gailey doesn't like it, then do something about it, get a real god damn QB in here and start winning some ball games.

There is a simple solution to the classless fans who boo or heckle at a practice session: Only have closed practicies. Or put up a sign: No Jackasses allowed. Trent Edwards is going to be our starting qb for the simple reason that he will beat out the other three qbs.

As Red said Trent seems a bit too aloof. He needs more fire in his belly. He comes off as a very diplomatic sort, perhaps too diplomatic. He doesn't seem to be one who would start controversy. He's so damn mellow. I wish he would be more direct with his responses and start walking with the demeanor of Gailey. A more outspoken qb as a leader is one that the players would be more willing to follow. Hopefully Chan's mentality rubs off on him. Too damned calm and mellow. I'm still willing to give him a chance this season.

I certainly would have gained more respect for Fanning-Fan if he himself had got in the fans' faces and told 'em to STFU, instead of Gailey doing it for him!

good for Chan. pretty embarrassing behavior from the supposed "best fans in the league". heckle on game day all you want, but anyone who goes to a practice and runs their mouth isn't a fan.

and for all of you who are worried that Chan is babying Trent, it has nothing to do with Trent. Chan took the opportunity to FURTHER SOLIDIFY the "us against the world", "we're all in this together" attitude that he has to get this team to embrace. this is coaching 101. glad to see we finally have a coach who might have taken that course already.

Bull ****. Pure and absolute Bull ****. What is this Russia or China? I and every fan has a right to boo, wear bags or whatever. 'Good fans'? You mean lemmings? 'Good' fans? Who the !@#$ are you or gailey or anyone to say what a good fan is? all gailey has done is show he is an over sensitive kitty

If the shoe fits . . .

What are you getting so torqued about? If you invite me into your home, you get to set the standard of behavior. The govt. doesn't. It's exactly because we're not Russia or China that we have property rights, etc.

You're right, you get to choose how you behave. On private turf, the owner gets to show you the door if your behavior isn't to their satisfaction.

You'll notice I put "good" in quotes -- someone earlier used that term. In reality, the Bills get to define that term.

I think you need to lie down. :beer:

Yeah, because the 45 seconds it took for Chan to tell the fans to shut up will stunt Trent's growth this season. Secondly, Chan probably has the coldest "hot seat" position in the NFL aside from the perennial contenders. The whole regime is buliding this slow and won't hold it against him for one bad preseason game.

The whole thing here is kind of a slippery slope. I like that Chan stuck up for his players but I don't like that he might be coddling (sp) his starting QB.

Fans have the right to say what they want but it is a free practice and is that really the time and place for it? Probably not. (see mosque at ground zero)

Something has got to give here and hopefully Trent (and Chan for that matter) will do something to shut up the critics.

p.s. I am not a Trent fan but I hope for the betterment of the team, that he steps up and is able to become the leader that this team needs. If not, there has to be someone out there worthy of that challenge.

Edited by flomoe

Ugly on a number of levels

On one hand:

Fans have every right to give this organization ****. RW has, IMO, screwed over the fan base by taking advantage of their loyalty time and time again. He does not have the deepest pockets in the league by any stretch of the imagination, but the guy takes in a lot of cash and doesn't spend much on the team. The disaster is not Edwards fault but, after a decade of sucking terribly, the fans have a right to show their frustration

On the other hand:

The Bills fans are a weird bunch. There are the self-loathing Bills fans, who would yell at Edwards like this time and time again. And relish mocking their own team. And there are also the absolutist Bills fans, who preach loyalty regardless the cost. And might even have busts of Ralph Wilson sitting in their living room. Maybe it is just me, but there seem to be a lot of instances of Bills fans going after their players. To an extent where the fans have a sub-standard reputation amongst certain groups of players. Spiller, Maybin and Whitner have all been hammered on Twitter (yes, players complaining about getting taunted on twitter are missing the irony). McKelvin had his lawn painted on. Now this instance with Gailey and Edwards. Maybe it is all in my head; but its ugly nonetheless.

Well stated, yes we have had a bad team for many years, but I agree that the Buffalo fans have a sincere boundry issue regarding the players of this team. I have yet to see any other NFL team that has had similar incidents where people are messing with the players.

When a Pat Williams, Clements or Antoine Winfield depart we blame the cheap owner, I wonder if any former players would actually say "the money offered by Buffalo was about the same, but one bad game and these jackals would be all over me, I'd rather be in City B instead" I would think if that were the case, the guy will say it was a huge difference and I had to look out for the family. Schoebul (sp) could have had the same thoughts, why bother listening to the unwashed masses while trying to start over in a new defensive alignment and hear the crap that he has lost a step and he isnt earning the paycheck, hell he walked away from it.

Besides a few players like Kelly, Thomas and a few other well liked former players, how many will actually say in private that they enjoyed their time in Buffalo?