Jump to content
DrDawkinstein

Kobe Bryant: Killed in Helicopter crash (update: NTSB prelim. report)

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I think a general discussion of the way our justice system works is more appropriate for PPP, but the DA decides whether or not to pursue a criminal case and hold someone accountable.....and if they decide not to pursue the case, that's how it goes.

 

The same mechanism holds true in a situation where the alleged perpetrator is unjustly accused, is justly accused but there is insufficient evidence, and is accused with sufficient evidence but "pays off" or intimidates the witness.....so we as the general public can form our own opinions but that's all they are

 

 

 

Today is the day he is held accountable. We all face this day eventually.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That selfish ball hog averaged almost 5 assists per game over 20years

 

Some years with 6+


Magic averaged over 11 per game and was a consummate team player.  Kobe doesn’t even break the top 50 all time I assists. Living in SoCal I saw Kobe play a lot. He was a ball hog and it really turned me off the game.  Don’t get me wrong he was one of the best to play the game it just wasn’t my style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:


Magic averaged over 11 per game and was a consummate team player.  Kobe doesn’t even break the top 50 all time I assists. Living in SoCal I saw Kobe play a lot. He was a ball hog and it really turned me off the game.  Don’t get me wrong he was one of the best to play the game it just wasn’t my style. 

Magic Johnson was a point guard who's job it is to distribute..

 

Kobe Bryant is a shooting guard who's job was to score

 

Completely different positions with different jobs

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Magic Johnson was a point guard who's job it is to distribute..

 

Kobe Bryant is a shooting guard who's job was to score

 

Completely different positions with different jobs


Point taken. It was also a different era when, in my opinion, the NBA was much more fun to watch. 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sherpa said:

 

The actual term is "autorotation."

 

Its what helo folks do to minimize crashes by attempting to minimize the sink rate during an engine failure.

During normal flight, air is pulled down from above.

If the main rotor system is not being powered, an autorotation is done and the air goes up through the rotor.

 

Not a helicopter fan. Way too many moving parts.

An aircraft whose wings travel faster than its fuselage is inherently unsafe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Augie said:

Today is the day he is held accountable. We all face this day eventually.  

 

If so, 'twill not be by us

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

False accusations like the one leveled at Bryant should have MUCH stiffer penalties. It's really difficult to disprove a rape allegation, but this one came pretty close.

 

We don't know it was a false accusation.  We don't know it was true.  It was never tried as a criminal matter.  The civil case was settled.

 

In that situation, it's just as off base (in my view) to go around calling the guy a "rapist" who was "never held accountable" as it is to characterize the alleged victim as making a false accusation.  We simply don't know, either way.

 

The man and one of his children are dead, it just seems in poor taste to me to focus on that one incident in his life, whatever one's opinion.

 

 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

As my Airforce buddies say when talking about why they never want to fly in helicopters:

 

"Planes use physics to work with the air so the air wants to keep them afloat. Whereas helicopters just beat the air into submission."

 

Haha yah fixed wing and heli pilots LoooooOOooooove to talk trash about each other.

 

Truth though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y’all, I’m really struggling with this. Kobe was never my guy but the tragic nature of it all has me in a weird place. I cried today (keep in mind I cry a lot). I just can’t wrap my head around it and for an empathetic, analytical person that’s really hard. I’m not capable of shrugging my shoulders and saying, “such is life.” Today is horrible

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Y’all, I’m really struggling with this. Kobe was never my guy but the tragic nature of it all has me in a weird place. I cried today (keep in mind I cry a lot). I just can’t wrap my head around it and for an empathetic, analytical person that’s really hard. I’m not capable of shrugging my shoulders and saying, “such is life.” Today is horrible


Same.    Listening to Ramona Shelburne cry and talk about his career on ESPNradio today brought a mild weep to me all day long.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Y’all, I’m really struggling with this. Kobe was never my guy but the tragic nature of it all has me in a weird place. I cried today (keep in mind I cry a lot). I just can’t wrap my head around it and for an empathetic, analytical person that’s really hard. I’m not capable of shrugging my shoulders and saying, “such is life.” Today is horrible

There are so many angles to it that just wreck me. Seeing the pictures of his young daughter looking so happy with him at all those basketball games, trying to follow in his footsteps. He was so proud to coach her team. He and his wife got engaged when she was 18 and been together all this time. I know they had their issues through the years , but they seemed to  be in a good place and the family looked so happy. Now left to raise a newborn and the two other girls after losing her husband and daughter. Devastating.  Money can’t fix everything. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

We don't know it was a false accusation.  We don't know it was true.  It was never tried as a criminal matter.  The civil case was settled.

 

In that situation, it's just as off base (in my view) to go around calling the guy a "rapist" who was "never held accountable" as it is to characterize the alleged victim as making a false accusation.  We simply don't know, either way.

We don't know. That much is true. But there is a TREMENDOUS amount of evidence that the allegation was false. I FULLY believe it was false and beyond initial evidence, subsequent behavior and occurrences have only strengthened my PERSONAL belief.

 

I wasn't there, so I'll never know anything with certainty just as not a single person can claim to KNOW that OJ Simpson murdered Goldman/Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this is a tough one. It's been weighing on me heavily all day. While I've been hanging with my daughter especially, which I'm incredibly thankful for on one hand, but it's really hard not to dwell on the whole scenario. And Kobe was an absolute legend. I'm kind of stunned by some of the responses in this thread, not even considering the weird political ones (the entire 24/7 cable news model has been trash since post 9/11 regardless of your political lean btw). He's a top-5 all time lock. Ball hog and only known in California? The entire world is mourning. Everybody knows who Kobe is.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Y’all, I’m really struggling with this. Kobe was never my guy but the tragic nature of it all has me in a weird place. I cried today (keep in mind I cry a lot). I just can’t wrap my head around it and for an empathetic, analytical person that’s really hard. I’m not capable of shrugging my shoulders and saying, “such is life.” Today is horrible

It is a pretty surreal and wierd feeling. I woke up this morning and watched a clip of LeBron talking for five minutes last night about what it meant to pass him in points and what Kobe meant to him. A couple hours later start seeing tweets that he's dead. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yeah, this is a tough one. It's been weighing on me heavily all day. While I've been hanging with my daughter especially, which I'm incredibly thankful for on one hand, but it's really hard not to dwell on the whole scenario. And Kobe was an absolute legend. I'm kind of stunned by some of the responses in this thread, not even considering the weird political ones (the entire 24/7 cable news model has been trash since post 9/11 regardless of your political lean btw). He's a top-5 all time lock. Ball hog and only known in California? The entire world is mourning. Everybody knows who Kobe is.


The *entire world* is not mourning. This is exactly what I just posted about - you are projecting your feelings on to everyone else. Believe it or not, the vast vast vast majority of the world doesn’t give a ***** about the NBA. 

  • Confused 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SDS said:


The *entire world* is not mourning. This is exactly what I just posted about - you are projecting your feelings on to everyone else. Believe it or not, the vast vast vast majority of the world doesn’t give a ***** about the NBA. 

The entire sports world then, which is very much a global community.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

The entire sports world then, which is very much a global community.


perhaps I’m a cynic, but I find the athlete responses are more out of perceived obligation than out of true emotion. 
 

regardless, 9 people died in that crash. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

We don't know. That much is true. But there is a TREMENDOUS amount of evidence that the allegation was false. I FULLY believe it was false and beyond initial evidence, subsequent behavior and occurrences have only strengthened my PERSONAL belief.

 

I wasn't there, so I'll never know anything with certainty just as not a single person can claim to KNOW that OJ Simpson murdered Goldman/Brown.

 

Point: we have had folks here who have processed the publically available evidence (as expounded in the media) expressing very much the opposite view.

 

IMO, it's just not the right time for either.  It's one incident in the life of a man who died in a heli crash today, along with his young daughter and 7 other souls.  "Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee"

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The entire sports world then, which is very much a global community.


Kobe is huge in China, my lady works for VIPKID before teaching public school at the buttcrack of dawn every day. 
 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160823005760/en/Kobe-Bryant-Announces-Investment-Chinese-Education-Company

Edited by Teddy KGB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SDS said:


perhaps I’m a cynic, but I find the athlete responses are more out of perceived obligation than out of true emotion. 
 

regardless, 9 people died in that crash. 

Above my pay grade but I think Tyson Chandler and Doc Rivers would disagree. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I appreciate the reply. No where in my post did I sugar coat or ignore that Kobe, like Felicia, and all of us are all flawed. I think it is vile to bring this up as soon as his death is announced, if not for Kobe, then for his family and friends. What was the motive?

 

The tweet was sent out today, within hours of the reported death, with a link to the article from the past. Why feel the need to drudge up the past as soon as the death is reported?

 

I can absolutely go with that.  On the other hand it is part of his past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SDS said:


perhaps I’m a cynic, but I find the athlete responses are more out of perceived obligation than out of true emotion. 
 

regardless, 9 people died in that crash. 

 

I don’t see it as being a cynic. I see it as viewing the entire picture,  I’m more upset that a dad and his daughter died than I am a former NBA star died. I’m equally upset that all the others died. This is a tragedy, but it’s not just a “Kobe tragedy”.  It’s FAR more than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Above my pay grade but I think Tyson Chandler and Doc Rivers would disagree. 


You know what I meant. Clearly there are people who were close to him that are affected. But there is the vast majority that never met the guy, who play another sport, never really followed his career, yet went to Instagram and Twitter today and posted about it. Most of them post out of obligation because their own followers expect them to say something. I try not to confuse obligation with heartfelt sincerity.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SDS said:


The *entire world* is not mourning. This is exactly what I just posted about - you are projecting your feelings on to everyone else. Believe it or not, the vast vast vast majority of the world doesn’t give a ***** about the NBA. 

 

Dude I'm on two separate UK forums right now and they are absolutely mourning. Go ahead and move the goal posts if necessary because it's just the UK, but I guarantee this is being discussed everywhere

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SDS said:


You know what I meant. Clearly there are people who were close to him that are affected. But there is the vast majority that never met the guy, who play another sport, never really followed his career, yet went to Instagram and Twitter today and posted about it. Most of them post out of obligation because their own followers expect them to say something. I try not to confuse obligation with heartfelt sincerity.

 

Neymar?

 

Novak Djokovic?

 

Sabrina Ionescu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SDS said:


The *entire world* is not mourning. This is exactly what I just posted about - you are projecting your feelings on to everyone else. Believe it or not, the vast vast vast majority of the world doesn’t give a ***** about the NBA. 

 

You’d be surprised.  His fame exceeds that of just the NBA.  As others mentioned, he’s a big star in China, as well as Europe and Latin America.    That’s a pretty big chunk of the world.   

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...