Kobe Bryant: Killed in Helicopter crash (update: NTSB prelim. report)

DrDawkinstein

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ll remember, in part because I heard in a text from my son while actually doing something with family that was very memorable  in it’s own right.

I remember hearing the news about Magic being HIV positive on the car radio on the way back from a work golf tournament outside Columbia, SC right after hurricane Hugo. The course had lost almost every tree, and they were piled up in areas like mountains. It was downright spooky! I remember very specific details about that entire day. 

my favorite athlete of any sport of all time was magic. I remember exactly where I was that day and everything about it, including even the next day. I was in absolute mourning. 

I do think today will have that feel to a lesser extent. It’s just so shocking. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He owned one, actually. He flew via helicopter all the time, to get around LA. 

Yeah soon after he retired I saw a show about his post basketball life and that was really the first I'd heard about an athlete using a helicopter to commute from home to work EVERY day.       

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Honestly, why the ***** do civilians go on Helicopters?!?!?!

Living in Hawai'i there are Helicopter tours that crash frequently enough that I would encourage EVERYONE to stay away from those things.

my brother in law went to helicopter school and said they spent most of their time learning how not to crash.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

my brother in law went to helicopter school and said they spent most of their time learning how not to crash.

I bet the foggy weather was normal for LA. But still— would think that pilots Rolf helicopters shouldn’t risk it with any kind of iffy weather. All those tour Helicopter crashes  In Hawaii also involve a weather issue just about every time. 

• Like (+1) 1

The only sports related death that might compare off the top of my head was when Thurman Munson crashed his helicopter flying back to Ohio and died.  Even though I don't like the Yankees he was a guy worth liking.

I imagine news spreads more rapidly like that than 40 years ago.

Horrible, disturbing story.  I pray for his family 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The only sports related death that might compare off the top of my head was when Thurman Munson crashed his helicopter flying back to Ohio and died.  Even though I don't like the Yankees he was a guy worth liking.

Roberto Clemente, too.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

In my life I have only said two names while trying to throw something away from a distance, Jordan and Kobe.

I say Lamar Jackson and I miss everytime. 

Sorry trying to keep it light, I had to change the Pro Bowl they can’t stop mentioning it, it’s hard to focus on anything but. 

I will deal with it when the Celts game starts. 

7 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I'm sad today, but I was bawling the day Munson died.

• Awesome! (+1) 1