Kobe Bryant: Killed in Helicopter crash (update: NTSB prelim. report)

DrDawkinstein

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

For you ‘Chopper Heads’. A likely path and elevation of the flight.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

More on the crash from a professional pilot familiar with the area, terrain and NTSB/FAA regs.

These seem very well done, @Chandler#81, good finds.  Sweet Luscombe in the background of the 2nd.  Some comments:

The flight path visualization makes it clear that the pilot was leaving flatter ground and entering an area of hills where the microclimate was likely to be different, and the distance between clouds and ground decreased as he flew through a pass.  This is a classic scenario for VFR (visual flight rules) flight into IMC (instrument meteorological conditions). ?  At this point, if he turns around and went back to Van Nuys, it's all good.

It appears that the pilot achieved an altitude higher than the terrain in stable flight, so an accident cause involving "pushing the flight envelope to reach safety" appears unlikely.  I suppose I wanted to believe that because I don't want to believe the cause this is shaping up to point towards.

The helicopter was equipped with an autopilot.  If the autopilot is already configured correctly, one strategy taught to GA pilots facing disorientation is to flip a switch and hand control over to "Otto" while they get their bearings.  I do not know how feasible that is in a helicopter.  About the most dangerous place for a pilot, any pilot, to be, is in a situation where he does not know what he doesn't know - for example, where he does not know that his current ability to operate the aircraft by reference to instruments is insufficient.

Nits: at one point refers to "special VFR" as a "little known" or "lesser known" option.  As previously discussed, it's common for helicopter operations transitioning controlled airspace under weather conditions that are otherwise legal for them, as well as common in some sectors of GA (Part 91) flight.  Also 2nd clip suggests perhaps the pilot was trying to reach a Sheriff's helipad, but from his diagram it looks as though the helipad would be in the opposite direction from that taken by the flight.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

any announcements on a memorial service yet?

i hope they aren't planning to have him lie In State like Lenin.

I have several contacts inside, both Spectrum who works closely with the Lakers because of the exclusive broadcast deal here in LA and with the Lakers PR team (I am also friends with Jeanie Buss herself).  Now I have not spoken to Jeanie since this happened, although I did reach out and express my condolences.  But my friends in PR at both Spectrum and Lakers said on Tuesday the target was 2 weeks and they want to do it at Staples Center but they fear its not big enough.  So they are also considering the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl.  Also, wasn't confirmed yet, but one of them told me there may be 2 services...the big one and then a private one for immediate friends and family only.  

Ironically, Jeanie Buss is about to become my neighbor.  I introduced her to a neighbor who was selling their beach front condo and she bought it.  So she is about to live 100 yards from me down the beach.  She is SUPER sweet and just soooooooo nice.  If you did not know who she was, you would think she's just a nice lady who makes a modest salary...she is so down to Earth and you would never know how much money she has and she is an owner of a massive sports franchise.  Super excited for her to be moving right there.  

Sadly for her, she will have one psycho neighbor 2 doors down, which is Anthony Michael Hall who is a total a**hole who is basically hated by everyone.  He has been arrested multiple times for going off the rails here, including pushing my friend down and breaking his arm which was on TMZ too lol.  

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have several contacts inside, both Spectrum who works closely with the Lakers because of the exclusive broadcast deal here in LA and with the Lakers PR team (I am also friends with Jeanie Buss herself).  Now I have not spoken to Jeanie since this happened, although I did reach out and express my condolences.  But my friends in PR at both Spectrum and Lakers said on Tuesday the target was 2 weeks and they want to do it at Staples Center but they fear its not big enough.  So they are also considering the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl.  Also, wasn't confirmed yet, but one of them told me there may be 2 services...the big one and then a private one for immediate friends and family only.  

Ironically, Jeanie Buss is about to become my neighbor.  I introduced her to a neighbor who was selling their beach front condo and she bought it.  So she is about to live 100 yards from me down the beach.  She is SUPER sweet and just soooooooo nice.  If you did not know who she was, you would think she's just a nice lady who makes a modest salary...she is so down to Earth and you would never know how much money she has and she is an owner of a massive sports franchise.  Super excited for her to be moving right there.  

Sadly for her, she will have one psycho neighbor 2 doors down, which is Anthony Michael Hall who is a total a**hole who is basically hated by everyone.  He has been arrested multiple times for going off the rails here, including pushing my friend down and breaking his arm which was on TMZ too lol.  

post of the day, easily  :D

I saw the Rose Bowl was under consideration earlier this week.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:49 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Kobe death is sad enough. Every time I see that little girl’s face though it’s :cry:

Kobe's legacy and inspirational life will live on forever. Not just in LA. Tonight should be very special and therapeutic for a grieving city. Mamba Forever....GirlDad forever.....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

NTSB preliminary accident report released. 

First link is New York Times article.

Second link is .pdf file with pictures referenced in article

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/us/kobe-bryant-ntsb-report.html

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6771-ntsb-report-kobe-bryant-helicopter/aaacf7d3b80c17083a22/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

key points:

-engines operating and rotors turning at time of impact

-photographs speak for themselves about weather conditions near the accident site at the time of the crash

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

NTSB preliminary accident report released. 

First link is New York Times article.

Second link is .pdf file with pictures referenced in article

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/us/kobe-bryant-ntsb-report.html

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6771-ntsb-report-kobe-bryant-helicopter/aaacf7d3b80c17083a22/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

key points:

-engines operating and rotors turning at time of impact

-photographs speak for themselves about weather conditions near the accident site at the time of the crash

...it is just terribly sad that reports points more so to pilot error and judgment in declining weather conditions.....you just cannot shortcut safety in the purported interest of expediency.....NOT to derail the thread, but we are construction contractors......our external Safety Consultant shared a personal story about the day HE decided to shortcut safety, with SAFETY being his life's blood.....he was in a hurry to trim his yard with a string trimmer before other commitments and decided to forego his safety glasses (don't we all?)....while trimming, a stone was kicked up, hitting him on the inside bridge of his nose, perhaps a 1/4 inch from losing an eye....could he have PHYSICALLY survived the life altering event of losing an eye?...perhaps...mentally?....I can't answer that......but he learned his lesson about short cutting safety.....certainly hope shortcutting was NOT the case in the Kobe tragedy....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...it is just terribly sad that reports points more so to pilot error and judgment in declining weather conditions.....you just cannot shortcut safety in the purported interest of expediency.....NOT to derail the thread, but we are construction contractors......our external Safety Consultant shared a personal story about the day HE decided to shortcut safety, with SAFETY being his life's blood.....he was in a hurry to trim his yard with a string trimmer before other commitments and decided to forego his safety glasses (don't we all?)....while trimming, a stone was kicked up, hitting him on the inside bridge of his nose, perhaps a 1/4 inch from losing an eye....could he have PHYSICALLY survived the life altering event of losing an eye?...perhaps...mentally?....I can't answer that......but he learned his lesson about short cutting safety.....certainly hope shortcutting was NOT the case in the Kobe tragedy....

I had a flight instructor who liked to say "the most dangerous thing for a pilot is not knowing what they don't know".  Which I didn't understand for a while, then I slowly figured out what he meant as I gained experience.  There's also a difference between legal, and safe.  Most operations are both.  Some things that are legal, are arguably unsafe.  Some things that are arguably safe, aren't legal.  But they need to be scrutinized hard with a skeptical eye (or just don't).

The helicopter was equipped (as many aren't) for flight controlled by instruments.  It had a sophisticated autopilot.  The helicopter pilot was rated (as many aren't) to fly a helicopter on instruments.  It appears that the pilot was doing something that wasn't legal: he was operating on a VFR-only charter certificate and continued into conditions where he was not able to remain clear of clouds.  He had the equipment, and had trained to acquire the skill that should have made it safe for a pilot that was proficient on instruments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1