RUMOUR: Holmgren to the Bills?

Bash_Gash

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Seattle made their Super Bowl breakthrough after Tim Ruskell took over the GM duties from Bob Whitsitt who I believe was basically a Holmgren puppet while he was GM.

Once Ruskell took over the reins and Holmgren focused on coaching the Seahawks were able to get to the Super Bowl (where they were somewhat robbed by poor officiating in losing to the Steelers).

If Holmgren took over football operations, I wonder who he would name as his general manager.

I don't know when, but he was relieved of the GM duties in the last years with Seattle.

Based on that, I don't know if I would want him to be GM IF he came to Buffalo.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would want my HC to be GM.

On the flip side, he does well with QB's - Favre and Hasselback, so that would be a plus.

I don't know when, but he was relieved of the GM duties in the last years with Seattle.

Based on that, I don't know if I would want him to be GM IF he came to Buffalo.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would want my HC to be GM.

On the flip side, he does well with QB's - Favre and Hasselback, so that would be a plus.

Correct - Ruskell took over the personnel decisions and that's when the team improved. Holmgren was a total failure when it came to evaluating talent.

Also you know it's a bad sign when the OP uses the UK spelling of "rumor."

Quote:

as it was discussed this morning on J.T. the Brick’s radio show that there are rumors in Buffalo that Mike Holmgren could receive total control of the Bills if he decided to take over the Bills.

http://hardknoxsports.com/nfl/buffal...olmgren-bills/

He is not my top pick but how can it not be an upgrade over Skeletor. Holmgren has proved he could win, which is another bonus

What the heck is JT's Brick radio show?

Correct - Ruskell took over the personnel decisions and that's when the team improved. Holmgren was a total failure when it came to evaluating talent.

Also you know it's a bad sign when the OP uses the UK spelling of "rumor."

I've seen a number of cases where a team underachieved when the coach was also the GM. When you're the GM, you're responsible for watching over the cap, negotiating with players/agents, and overseeing the scouting. Add all of that to the actual Xs and Os of being a coach and your time is limited. That can easily bog down the team and what they do on the field, which is why I don't like a coach being a GM.

That said, it might be exactly what the Bills need right now from someone like Holmgren. They'd have a GM who has been around the league, has good contacts, and knows people that can run a team well. He can probably even bring in a few players that played for him and also know how to win. They would also have a coach with experience - someone who has won the Superbowl and been there two other times.

I don't know how true this rumor is or if it's even plausible, but this would be a perfect situation for Holmgren to come into. It's just a matter of whether or not Ralph is willing to give up the control like he did to Donahoe.

Having lived in Seattle for most of the time he was there, I am unimpressed.

First of all he went to Seattle because they offered him the Head Coach AND GM spots. While that may appaeal to some, it was totally unsuccessful. Holmgren couldn't do both, and it showed.

Second, He demanded and was paid VERY WELL, when has that ever happened in BUF? he was there when Paul Allen essentially gave him an open check book.

Third, he likes to ride his Harley. Even if we accept "Global Warming," Given the WNY weather AND Road Conditions, that's not going to happen very often. It sure didn't in Green Bay!

He's a Control Freak on the order of Donohoe and does not have the success to back it up.

All things considered, Wade was a better Coach than Holmgren will ever be.

It could happen. The Walrus left Seattle to take a year off. Has said it would take him being GM AND Coach to come back. If he could get that in Buffalo it would be a great setup for him. Small market like Green Bay. Rabid fan base. We're down, he can build us up and be a hero. Likes cold weather football. Ralph is itching to bring a good coach in here and knows he needs a new GM too. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Downside is the Walrus pretty much failed at this in Seattle and had to give up the GM role and be only coach. Seattle suffered though many 8-8, 7-9, and 9-7 seasons before hitting it big in 2005. Maybe he learned something.

He's also good at bringing along young QBs. Anyone heard of Brett Favre and Matt Hasselback? Just what the doctor ordered.

I say do it.

We can only wish for 8-8 and 9-7 seasons. LOL

First of all he went to Seattle because they offered him the Head Coach AND GM spots. While that may appaeal to some, it was totally unsuccessful. Holmgren couldn't do both, and it showed.

Second, He demanded and was paid VERY WELL, when has that ever happened in BUF? he was there when Paul Allen essentially gave him an open check book.

Third, he likes to ride his Harley. Even if we accept "Global Warming," Given the WNY weather AND Road Conditions, that's not going to happen very often. It sure didn't in Green Bay!

He's a Control Freak on the order of Donohoe and does not have the success to back it up.

Wade Phillips

Career record 61-42-0 (Regular Season)

0–4 (Postseason)

61-46-0 (Overall)

Mike Holmgren

Career record 157-100-0 (Regular Season)

13-11 (Postseason)

170-111-0 (Overall)

Super Bowl

wins 1996 Super Bowl XXXI

Championships

won 2005 NFC Championship

1997 NFC Championship

1996 NFC Championship

The Facts suggest otherwise

That reminds me of a story...

So this guy comes running into his house one night, screaming to his wife, "Hey honey, quick...pack your bags....Wife says, "Why? What's goin' on?"

Guy says, "Just hurry ...hurry up...hurry up and pack your bags..."

Wife says, "Honey, tell me WTF is going on..."

Guy shouts, "I just won $10million in the lottery....hurry...pack your bags..."

Wife says, "Holy &*%#!, that's great honey, where we goin'?

Guy says, "We? WE??? We're not going anywhere...pack your bags and get out!"

Oy vey, I slay me.

I remember that Holmgren had promised his wife he would retire after a certain number of years with the Seahawks and was dead set on sticking to that promise- so I don't see this happening.

Oh, Definitely. I keep every promise I make to my wife.

I agree with everything except the Harley. Unless he likes to ride in the rain, he could probably ride more days in Buffalo than Seattle.

Bob Whitsitt is a generic sports management type (sound familiar?) who worked for Paul Allen as GM of his NBA team and President of his NFL team. His results were poor in both jobs. The Blazers were horrible when he ran the show, becoming known as the Jailblazers with ridiculous numbers of legal run-ins, and only improved after he resigned. He installed himself as the sole personnel decision-maker, ousting Holmgren, with Bob Ferguson filling in as a buffer GM between Whitsitt and Holmgren. Whitsitt was a self-proclaimed "basketball guy" and was a disaster. He was quickly fired and Ferguson resigned. Holmgren took the Seahawks to the Super Bowl the next season. Ruskell was hired away from Atlanta as the next President the day after Ferguson resigned/retired and was there for the Super Bowl.

Well right now your GM is a 91 yr old guy wearing diapers....yes Holmgren or anyone like him would be a huge improvement over the current captain running the ship.

Also Holmgren or anyone like him could certainly use Russ Brandon to handle the business duties of a GM and its likely Holmgren would welcome veteran scouts like Modrak and Buddy Nix.....

or

Does Ralph hand the GM duties over to Budday Nix? He was in the final running in Atlanta for the GM spot there but they went in another direction......is this why Nix agreed to return to Buffalo for this possibility?

Well right now your GM is a 91 yr old guy wearing diapers....yes Holmgren or anyone like him would be a huge improvement over the current captain running the ship.

Also Holmgren or anyone like him could certainly use Russ Brandon to handle the business duties of a GM and its likely Holmgren would welcome veteran scouts like Modrak and Buddy Nix.....

or

Does Ralph hand the GM duties over to Budday Nix? He was in the final running in San Diego but they went in AJ Smith direction......is this why Nix agreed to return to Buffalo for this possibility?

Personally O would do whatever it took to get Cower. I would even take gruden we need a personality. However it could make sense to bring in Holmgren for the reason the Buffalo is in the same position as GB and Seattle was before Holmgren took over and made them a consitent team. He understands talen he traded atlanta for Farve he traded GB for Hasslebeck he knows how to get a starting QB which is something this organization does not know how to do.

Quote:

as it was discussed this morning on J.T. the Brick’s radio show that there are rumors in Buffalo that Mike Holmgren could receive total control of the Bills if he decided to take over the Bills.

He is not my top pick but how can it not be an upgrade over Skeletor. Holmgren has proved he could win, which is another bonus

Holy hell that would be awesome! I'm getting excited and giddy just thinking about it. It's only a rumor for now but what a good one!

Yeah, i'd hate to have a coach that led his team to 5 division titles and 6 playoff appearances (along with a super bowl) in his 10 years there. Someone remind me how we've done in the last 10 years?

It should be noted though that Seattle plays in a weak division. At least 2 of those division titles were "earned" with a 9-7 record. That's not likely to happen in the AFC East.

Still, it'd be a great move.

Quote:

Holmgren IS my top pick, but I also would like to see someone like Dan Reeves as President of Operations, with Wilson stepping down in that capacity.

Now what people need to remember if this happens, is that we will be starting everything over and the new people are not responsible for the current playoff drought.

If Wilson is still in power, Holmgren would be little more than Jauron with a bigger name

It should be noted though that Seattle plays in a weak division. At least 2 of those division titles were "earned" with a 9-7 record. That's not likely to happen in the AFC East.

But there is also a conference championship in there also. not to mention his success in green bay. This guy has more wins at HC that our last few HCs combined.

There's lots of rumors floating around where the big name coaches might land. Here's something from SI's Peter King that he picked up while sitting with Holmgren:

"Former Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren has been making no bones about his desire to return to the NFL in 2010.

And we've been hearing for months rumors that Holmgren would be very interested in becoming the next coach of the Washington Redskins.

Earlier today, Peter King of SI.com provided some meat for that bone, in an appearance with Chris Russo of Mag Dog Unleashed on Sirius XM Radio."

"I've heard a lot of people say in the last few days, 'Oh, Holmgren wouldn't want to go to Washington,'" King said. "Keep one thing in mind in December when all this stuff starts to go down. Remember where you heard this. Mike Holmgren last year, Thanksgiving weekend, I'm sitting in his office in Seattle and he says, 'You know, I'm going to take this next year off but after that I'll give you a cool little theory for what I might do.' I said, 'What?' And he says, 'I've coached in the Midwest with Green Bay and I grew up playing and coaching out west -- Brigham Young, the 49ers, Seattle.' And he said, 'I'd really love to try the East Coast. That brand of football where you wake up on Sunday morning and it's the most important thing. There aren't 800 things to do. Where you're in East Rutherford or Philly or Washington and it's so important.'

There's also rumors of Holmgren to Dallas so...there's a good possibility that if the Bills even had any interest, that we would be bidding against Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones. As Mike Florio pointed out, it makes very little sense for these men to commit to a team now when they can wait till the offseason and go to the highest bidder.