Nate Clements ...

dave mcbride

One of the 5 best corners on the planet head up on one of the 5 best receivers on the planet.

It's been a world class matchup all day.

Great great stuff......

Antonio Cromartie

Nnamdi Asomugha

Champ Bailey

Asante Samuel

Cortland Finnegan

Nate Clements isn't on that list. I could argue there are others that would go above Clements too, or are at least on the same level (Dunta Robinson, Al Harris, Marcus Trufant, Terrence Newman, DeAngelo Hall, Darrelle Revis, Shawn Springs (when healthy)). I'm not sure how anyone can confuse Nate Clements with "one of the best corners on the planet."

Antonio Cromartie

Nnamdi Asomugha

Champ Bailey

Asante Samuel

Cortland Finnegan

Nate Clements isn't on that list. I could argue there are others that would go above Clements too, or are at least on the same level (Dunta Robinson, Al Harris, Marcus Trufant, Terrence Newman, DeAngelo Hall, Darrelle Revis, Shawn Springs (when healthy)). I'm not sure how anyone can confuse Nate Clements with "one of the best corners on the planet."

I was never a big Nate fan and might agree with your first five, but including Hall on this list costs you all credibility.

Antonio Cromartie

Nnamdi Asomugha

Champ Bailey

Asante Samuel

Cortland Finnegan

Nate Clements isn't on that list.

And Cromartie and Finnegan shouldn't be.

I'd probably put Nate alongside Samuel, just behind Bailey and Asomuhga

I'm not sure how anyone can confuse Nate Clements with "one of the best corners on the planet.

It's easy; just watch him play.

I was never a big Nate fan and might agree with your first five, but including Hall on this list costs you all credibility.

Why, cause the Raiders cut him? They've certainly been the team to make sound decisions over the last decade.

Look at his numbers from last year. 2 INT's, 8 passes defensed in 7 games with Washington, learning on the fly. Clements: 2 INT's, 9 passes defensed in, I believe, a complete season with the 49ers. But thanks for telling me since I believe they on "at least the same level" that I lose all credibility, that makes a lot of sense.

Why, cause the Raiders cut him?

No, because he's a crappy DB.

Look at his numbers from last year. 2 INT's, 8 passes defensed in 7 games with Washington, learning on the fly. Clements: 2 INT's, 9 passes defensed in, I believe, a complete season with the 49ers. But thanks for telling me since I believe they on "at least the same level" that I lose all credibility, that makes a lot of sense.

'Learing on the fly'? He's a friggin veteran CB, not a rookie QB. I notice you didn't include the stats for 'Getting burnt', 'big plays given up' or 'missed tackles'.

The Giants game today provided plenty of examples of why Hall is a very medicore football player. Apparently you missed it.

Why, cause the Raiders cut him? They've certainly been the team to make sound decisions over the last decade.

Look at his numbers from last year. 2 INT's, 8 passes defensed in 7 games with Washington, learning on the fly.

Hall's problems are that he's a lazy tackler, he takes terrible penalties, and he takes ridiculous chances which result in giving up big plays.

Antonio Cromartie

Nnamdi Asomugha

Champ Bailey

Asante Samuel

Cortland Finnegan

What he said. :D The 80 million in cap space would have been better used on more players. JMO

Amazing what a pass rush can do, right? Justin Smith and company pressured Warner frequently and the secondary benefited. DJ and company chose to build their secondary first, jettisoned NC, and watched their ranking against the pass fall to the bottom third of the NFL.

NC is still a solid cover corned who plays the run quite well. That Buffalo did not have a long term plan for him before franchising him in 06 was a travesty.

What he said. :D The 80 million in cap space would have been better used on more players. JMO

For the 1,000th time: NC's deal is essentially 7 years and 64M. The final year is basically just paper and will not be realized. The Bills have been trying to replace him since they drafted Youboty. I think McKelvin will be excellent, but they would not have had to take another first round CB if they'd extended NC in early 2006.

So many fans insisted that having Dockery and Walker was better than having NC. Those people are not so vocal in making this comparison anymore. At least NC is still with the team that he signed with.

Clements played a great game

He did. But as BillsVet pointed out above, SF really brought the pressure and that really helped the SF secondary. Warner's timing was messed up all afternoon. Wish we could do that.

GO BILLS!!!

For the 1,000th time: NC's deal is essentially 7 years and 64M. The final year is basically just paper and will not be realized. The Bills have been trying to replace him since they drafted Youboty. I think McKelvin will be excellent, but they would not have had to take another first round CB if they'd extended NC in early 2006.

So many fans insisted that having Dockery and Walker was better than having NC. Those people are not so vocal in making this comparison anymore. At least NC is still with the team that he signed with.

Agree with all that but still, nobody can point to bad CB play as a weakness on this team. It's pretty much played at the same level as when we had NC. Where's the pass rush?

GO BILLS!!!

Antonio Cromartie

Nnamdi Asomugha

Champ Bailey

Asante Samuel

Cortland Finnegan

How many Ints do they have

Singletary will hold every player accountable and will be a great HC IMO.

San Fran proves that a great coaching makes all the difference. I really believe the bills have the talent to be a playoff team now. They need someone to actuallyget them to play to their ability. I think Dick Jauron thinks he's running a T-ball league where no one strikes out and everyone gets a trophy that says "I'm the best me there is."

PTR

And Cromartie and Finnegan shouldn't be.

I'd probably put Nate alongside Samuel, just behind Bailey and Asomuhga

It's easy; just watch him play.

We did, for years. He was never at that level and no reason for this to have changed as he gets older.

So much money--for Nate Clemens. What a country!

Didn't see Nate today, but in his first year in the Bay, he was excellent.

I watched the Vikings/Browns today and let me say that Antoine Winfield was a complete stud. Stronger in run support than any defender currently on the Bills and mostly avoided in coverage.

Watching him and Phat Pat hold down the fort for the vikings was a pleasure (the other Williams was pretty good too).

We did, for years. He was never at that level and no reason for this to have changed as he gets older.

So much money--for Nate Clemens. What a country!

I agree WEO. Nate plays fast. Unfortunately, his mind isnt as fast as his body. Tremendous athlete, but too many mental mistakes. I'd love him on our team, but not for the money that most think he's worth.

Amazing what a pass rush can do, right? Justin Smith and company pressured Warner frequently and the secondary benefited. DJ and company chose to build their secondary first, jettisoned NC, and watched their ranking against the pass fall to the bottom third of the NFL.

NC is still a solid cover corned who plays the run quite well. That Buffalo did not have a long term plan for him before franchising him in 06 was a travesty.

Um, the Bills finished 13th in pass defense while the Niners finished 20th. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go

I apologize for the facts. :doh:

I would still 10 times out of 10 play a good olineman over a corner. Dockery became a vag. It happens.

And for all your Nate love, you realize that the Bills had a better pass defense than the Niners right? NC is a good palyer but not worth the $ he is getting and we are teh same team with or without him.

Even if you call it 7/$64M, you have to acknowledge that 1/8th of his signing bonus (whatever it was) will go as a cap hit...assuming there's a cap then, of course. At that price he's still overpaid anyway. Calling Clements a top five CB is absurd. Calling him a top ten is even too much. Is he a solid corner? Of course. But you don't pay a solid corner obscene amounts of money.

Nate is a very good CB (not top 5, IMO). Winfield is still a better all-around CB than Nate.

Look, I love Antoine Winfield. I love his attitude, I love the way he plays. But I don't want anything to do with having him in coverage against guys eight inches taller than him, sorry. As much of a stud as he is against the run, he's a huge liability with his size against the pass. You can hide his height if he's sitting in a cover 2 zone, but the moment you have him man up or drop deep into a cover 3 or cover 4 he's a huge liability.

What he said. :doh: The 80 million in cap space would have been better used on more players. JMO

Man, again and again people talk about the $80 million as if that was the actual number. It isn't.

The last year of the contract he is supposed to recieve $15.48 mill in salary (plus a workout bonus of $500,000 if he shows up for workouts). Anyone think he's going to be on the team for that? The second-last year of the contract, he's supposed to recieve $10.77 mill in salary (plus a workout bonus of $500,000 if he shows up for workouts). That one is questionable, but possible.

So the actual numbers are 7 years for $64 million or 6 years for $53 million, both of which are much more reasonable than the $80 million number that people wave around as if it was real. That was not a bad deal for the team, if Clements plays up to his potential.

------------

Which he is likely to do now that it looks like SF is building themselves a pass rush. They didn't have one last year, and no CB looks good with no pass rush. Watch Clements have a terrific year this year and everyone rush to say "Oh, Singletary is re-motivating him." That's what they'll say, but it won't be true. He'll just have a good pass rush in front of him again.

Even if you call it 7/$64M, you have to acknowledge that 1/8th of his signing bonus (whatever it was) will go as a cap hit...assuming there's a cap then, of course. At that price he's still overpaid anyway. Calling Clements a top five CB is absurd. Calling him a top ten is even too much. Is he a solid corner? Of course. But you don't pay a solid corner obscene amounts of money.

Look, I love Antoine Winfield. I love his attitude, I love the way he plays. But I don't want anything to do with having him in coverage against guys eight inches taller than him, sorry. As much of a stud as he is against the run, he's a huge liability with his size against the pass. You can hide his height if he's sitting in a cover 2 zone, but the moment you have him man up or drop deep into a cover 3 or cover 4 he's a huge liability.

I just gave you a major thumbs up on another thread, but you're dead wrong here. Clements will have a top 5 year once again as the rest of the defense plays better, and Winfield consistently uses his body to prevent the reciever from getting in position to recieve the pass. He is a wickedly effective pass defender as well as - you're right - one of the two or three best run defenders in the league.

He got another $7+ mill / year deal this year. Because he deserved it.