Take a few minutes and watch this....

It is just amazing how good that team was. They made it look so easy. Watching the current team (and really the teams of the last decade) is just so frustrating. That Super Bowl team made everything look so easy and this current team struggles to pick up consecutive 1st Downs on a regular basis.

Obviously, that team didn't win the Super Bowl, but nobody will ever convince me that we didn't have the best team in the league that season. The Buffalo Bills were at one time the most fun to watch team on the planet......now we struggle to stay below average.

HOWEVER, I have very high hopes for this season. I do think we will have a better team than we did last year. This team will go as far as Trent can take them. If he can step up this year and deliver the ball even close to what Kelly did for us for so many years, we will be fine. If he struggles like he did in the second half of the season last year, nothing will change. The team is better, but it is really all on Trent. I hate to put it all on one guy because football is a team sport, but he has all the weapons anyone could ask for this season. If he can't get it done this season...........well.........

What a catch by Tasker!!!

The problem with the Bills of today is we don't have the depth and the role players that those amazing teams had back then. There wasn't a weak link on those teams. Now, we have about 15 weak links.

Someday we'll be back. We're getting there....

Wow. A few things stand out for me:

1. Was that blocking I saw? When you see real blocking like that, you realize what we have not had in recent years.

2. Davis was a real spark plug for the team even though Thurman was the go-to guy in run game. Fred Jackson is the new Ken Davis. We've got to keep Jackson even if Lynch is our #1 guy. Jackson is vital to team's success. Let's lock him up for 3-4 years and make him happy and make the offense successful.

3. What a confident team! They EXPECTED to win.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel better about our OL than I have in YEARS (even with the loss of Peters). One thing that 1990 team had was INTELLIGENT linemen who knew their assignments. I think the Bills will have that again this season finally.

This is a playoff team. But they MUST get nasty with the division opponents. They have to at LEAST go .500 in the division, and preferably, even better. That's the key right there.

Great video Tomcat <_< If only we could run a shotgun spread offense at times like that now. I think we have the pieces in place to do it this year at every position, but I'm not sure if Trent can get it done. We'll find out in about 4 months or so :P

Never saw the tv coverage as I was at that game, but watching it I fealt just as happy this morning as I did then. Two things in that video really stand out to me that propeled that team: Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. Jim just had the arm and smarts to make quick srikes or strikes down the field. Thurman, what can you say about Thurman? NFL scouts today would wet themselves if there was a Thurman Thomas in todays colleges ready to come out. He truly did it all and made everything else possible. Speed, catching, blocking, toughness, he had all the tools to be a top notch RB. I see todays team having all the tools to be that good if only perhaps that can catch onto that offense. The only two question marks I have are QB and RB, the same things that made that offense go. Lynch doesn't have the speed and Edwards doesn't have the arm. Another thing needs to be done now is routes to get open over the middle, they can't cover everybody. I hope Trent really emerges this year and I hope they find ways to put guys into position so he can step up and make the quick strike. As far as RB though I believe Jackson has the better chance to be a Thurman Thomas. My only other thought on todays team is the coaching staffs willingness to get mean and tough upfront and they seem to be addressing that. All the parts just about seem to be in place. Good luck to this Bills team and can you please bring us back to those glory days in the present. GO BILLS!!!!!

JK had a great arm. Looked like he was throwing 60 yards with a flick of the wrist.

One thing that I did not remember about this game. Scott Norwood missing a 45 yarder wide right, which was eerily similar to the SB miss.

Those were the days. Watching that video makes you really appreciate how great Jim Kelly was. Look at the way he surveys the defense as he approaches the line. He was in complete control. It's great to see video like that but it's also kind of sad because it makes me realize that Edwards is nowhere near the caliber of quarterback that Kelly was. It's not so much the physical aspects, but more the mental. Kelly was always in command of that offense and never got rattled. Even when we lost he would battle to the very end. Thanks for the video Tomcat. Maybe we could send a copy to Edwards.

I completely forgot that game wasn't on TV. Does anyone know why it didn't sell out?

That game was on, you are thinking of the Comeback game that was not televised locally.

What shocked me was seeing Talley and Bruce still on the field at 48-3. The other thing was the stands looked empty with 8 minutes to go. For some reason I cannot remember if I stayed to the end. I hate to leave early, but thinking maybe we did leave early for two reasons

1) could have run out of beer and wanted to make sure we were celebrating in the lot

2) I know we wanted to get to a bar to watch game 2 and see who we would be playing in the SuperBowl at least by the 2nd half. Can still see Roger Craig fumbling and being pissed cause I wanted the Bills to be the ones taking down the Niners. Talking to my brother and being typical Bills fans, we said now when we whupped the Gints everyone will say not because we were great, but because their starting QB was hurt <_<

I thought some might enjoy that....good times....good times.

Thanks for posting.

Couple things:

1. Forgot how mobile Kelly was, especially when they fumbled the snap on the

Lofton TD. Didn't run real pretty, but got the job done.

2. Thurman was AWSOME!

3. Kinda nice watching a team you know could score at any time on offense.

And defense too!

4. I remember back then a group of about 15 of us would gather at a friends house

for every game, drink and watch the game. I remember saying to someone back

then "Man, I'm sick of these easy games, how about a close game for once." How

I would LOVE to say those words again!

I noticed that they went for it on 4th and goal and made it.... Limp Dick would have went for 3.

Hopefully we see some of that type of play calling this season. We dont have that type of talent but I think its good enough and Trent really plays well when playing with that tempo.

Thanks for the video and the memories. I was in the tunnel endzone for that game, 8 rows up. Incredible how the Bills owned the Raiders that day. I think the week before, Bo Jackson had his career ending hip injury against the Bengals but everyone was saying that the Raiders were still going to give the Bills fits. HA!! We owned them that day.

That video should or the entire game video should be played at the first meeting on the first day of training camp for the entire Bills organization from Brandon on down to the cheerleaders. That is how things were done right and how the organization should take every day........with heart and a tenacity to never quit no matter what. That Bills team was one of the best of all time regardless of what transpired in the Super Bowl.

JK had a great arm. Looked like he was throwing 60 yards with a flick of the wrist.

One thing that I did not remember about this game. Scott Norwood missing a 45 yarder wide right, which was eerily similar to the SB miss.

I was at the game and hadn't remembered the miss. Also the blocked PAT. But things were going so extraordinarily well who noticed a missed kick. As you pointed out, a little Dejavu in Tampa. This was easily one of the best all time games. Right along with "The Comeback", and breaking the Miami "curse". If they could have only gotten 1 big break in SB 25.........

That game was on, you are thinking of the Comeback game that was not televised locally.

What shocked me was seeing Talley and Bruce still on the field at 48-3. The other thing was the stands looked empty with 8 minutes to go. For some reason I cannot remember if I stayed to the end. I hate to leave early, but thinking maybe we did leave early for two reasons

1) could have run out of beer and wanted to make sure we were celebrating in the lot

2) I know we wanted to get to a bar to watch game 2 and see who we would be playing in the SuperBowl at least by the 2nd half. Can still see Roger Craig fumbling and being pissed cause I wanted the Bills to be the ones taking down the Niners. Talking to my brother and being typical Bills fans, we said now when we whupped the Gints everyone will say not because we were great, but because their starting QB was hurt :oops:

I know of three fans there till the end, because we had champagne on ice and steaks on the grill after the final gun. They were two of my friends telling me they wanted to leave at the half in the "Comeback game". I still don't let them live it down.

Ironic to see that in the first half of that game, Norwood missed a 45-yard field goal .... wide right .... a foreshadowing of the following week in the SB against the Gints?

Still, this was a great game for the Bills. Thanks for the memories!

Absolutely no one was more in sync and had more control of this team than Kelly. This team was SO confident and that confidence just poured out of every player, not forgetting Marv.

God.....how I long for those days.....sigh.....

Sorry I gotta laugh when I see people looking at Jim and Thurman and then bashing the QB and the RB we have now.....

Folks you want to know what the difference is between then and now? B.L.O.C.K.I.N.G.

Blocking in the running game that allowed for RB's to get chunks of yards.....thus slowing down the pass rush and keep defensive players off the LOS

Blocking in the passing game to allow Kelly to pick out his targets and go through his progression reads.......

Guys....Thuman was quick he was not fast.....and While Kelly has the bigger arm there is NOTHING WRONG with Trent Edwards arm.....and he has a quick release that was even better then Jim Kelly's.

so many memories...I was actually at this game...I can remember not sitting down for practically the whole game as the points were aplenty...I had a pair of binoculars, and I watched Howie Long and his expressions after each play after constantly getting mauled by Howard Ballard...

...It seems like centuries ago that the Bills were this good...receivers getting open AND getting behind the coverage AND catching the ball...running backs getting into the second and third levels...a QB who instantly CORRECTLY recognized a defense and called the right play...an offensive line that just did its damn job...a pass rush...DB's who could make INT's...

...they made it look so easy.

I remember an article by Larry Felser in the Buffalo News at about this time that advised all fans to enjoy it while it lasts. A team like that Bills team comes around only once in a lifetime.

Boy, after all of this bungling by Donahoe, Modrak, and Guy...Gregg Williams...Bledsoe...Mularkey...it has sure rung true.

Is it wrong of me to want atleast a slight return of this success?

Red,

I grow tired of waiting for it as well......

I dont know if getting one of our former good scouts back had anything to do with this.....but the bills made investments this year that I think are really going to return us to some sort of semblence of a competitive team......picks were used on the O and D lines this year and then went even further to address needs by taking a difference making receiving tight end.......

I dont know how many times Edwards is going to get sacked this year.....I do know that when we run the ball our O line is not going to get owned on the interior like it has been........the investments of Wood, Hangarter, and Levitre AND making a real effort to get a reliable versitile backup like McKinney are going to end up paying big dividends......

Let us not forget we also addressed our D line with our 11th pick as well.......it starts at the lines....we did that.

awesome vid.

as i watch these old games (even the ones from the late 90s when our d was sick) i am always amazed at how much better secondaries are in the nfl today. guys for both teams were open with 2 yards of separation half the time!

It is just amazing how good that team was. They made it look so easy. Watching the current team (and really the teams of the last decade) is just so frustrating. That Super Bowl team made everything look so easy and this current team struggles to pick up consecutive 1st Downs on a regular basis.

Obviously, that team didn't win the Super Bowl, but nobody will ever convince me that we didn't have the best team in the league that season. The Buffalo Bills were at one time the most fun to watch team on the planet......now we struggle to stay below average.

HOWEVER, I have very high hopes for this season. I do think we will have a better team than we did last year. This team will go as far as Trent can take them. If he can step up this year and deliver the ball even close to what Kelly did for us for so many years, we will be fine. If he struggles like he did in the second half of the season last year, nothing will change. The team is better, but it is really all on Trent. I hate to put it all on one guy because football is a team sport, but he has all the weapons anyone could ask for this season. If he can't get it done this season...........well.........

just hope he stays healthy....

Sorry I gotta laugh when I see people looking at Jim and Thurman and then bashing the QB and the RB we have now.....

Folks you want to know what the difference is between then and now? B.L.O.C.K.I.N.G.

Blocking in the running game that allowed for RB's to get chunks of yards.....thus slowing down the pass rush and keep defensive players off the LOS

Blocking in the passing game to allow Kelly to pick out his targets and go through his progression reads.......

Guys....Thuman was quick he was not fast.....and While Kelly has the bigger arm there is NOTHING WRONG with Trent Edwards arm.....and he has a quick release that was even better then Jim Kelly's.

Have to agree with you. The blocking really stands out when watching that video. Great run-blocking, great pass-blocking. It makes all the difference in the world. Not to diminish the talents of Kelly and Thurman, but they absolutely did benefit from some great blocking.

I was at that game. It was indescribable. I remember reading a column by Norman Chad in the National (a national sports daily at the time that went out of business in a year or so) and he predicted the Raiders would destroy the Bills. Nice one, Norm. No wonder you are doing poker play-by-play these days.

But you know this game, as great as it was, was the beginning of the end for the Bills. This was the worst thing that could have happened, especially for Jim Kelly. If it was a more hard-fought victory, the Bills may well have beaten the Giants for the Super Bowl. Instead, Kelly and the Bills strutted into Tampa thinking they were unstoppable, and this played right into Bill Belichick's hands.

Daryl Talley said the Raiders lost the game the minute they walked outof the locker room. It was cold, and they were freezing. The weather took all the fight out of them before the kickoff. The Bills just beat them senseless. When the Giants upset the 49ers I'm sure the Bills thought they were getting an inferior NFC opponent...and they were inferior. The Bills should have took them out by 3 TD's.

But instead of adapting to what Belichick was throwing at them: giving them the run and stacking against the pass, Kelly decided he wanted to be SB MVP too. He kept running the no-huddle and throwing into coverage thinking he could not be stopped. Meanwhile Thurman Thomas was gaining 9+ yards per carry because the Giants only had 3, sometimes even 2 rushers.

Something that is lost in the haze of "wide right" is that Thurman Thomas came within one tackler of breaking free for the winning TD just one play earlier.

PTR