Fitzpatrick signed!!

A good signing and a quality 2nd QB. Smart, understands offenses and defenses and will fill his duty well. It is an upgrade as he is better than JP and will be a solid 2nd QB........he is not going to win you a SB but can go in and win a handful of games for you. Or at least have the common sense to throw a ball away before the 2 minute warning instead of taking a sack and fumbling.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Brett Favre was our starting QB, it would be a good signing. But we have Trent Edwards, which means he will see ample playing time. Not a good thing,

if farve was out starting QB, there would be people saying Losman was a perfect fit for our offense

Yay! We signed...a...guy...who was a 3rd stringer for his entire career...up until last season...

Actually his stats for last season weren't too bad. 8 TD passes vs 9 INTs for 1905 yds & just under 60& completion percentage. He also had over 300 yds running.

The negatives?? His average yards per passing attempt was 5.1. His yds per rush was higher at around 6.0. Both Whoseyourmomma and Ocho Cinco averaged about 10 yds per reception which is pretty poor. I remember being offered Housh in my FFL but all I had to see were games like 7 receptions for about 50 yds to stay away from him. So, no deep balls from this guy. Probably for the best considering the RWS weather factor, but you'd like to have the threat.

Sure we could've picked up Rosenfels for a 4th but we didn't.

He had a worse completion percentage than JP did this year (59.4 vs. 60.6), but a better TD%, was sacked less frequently, and threw fewer interceptions per attempt.

I can't conclusively say that he's better than JP, but I don't think he was significantly worse.

However, the Bills really could have used an older vet QB who could have taught Edwards something about the game, not some guy who kept the lights on when Palmer got hurt.

I was waiting for Frerotte to be cut after the Vikes traded for Rosenfels.

Seriously? What a joke. What is the point of this? A guy who should compete for a back-up job. What's he going to do. He can't possibly be a starter, so he won't push Trent. Trent will get hurt, so we give the reigns to this guy. I mean c'mon, just make a sign that says: "screw it, now we're just rubbing it in"

Seriously? What a joke. What is the point of this? A guy who should compete for a back-up job. What's he going to do. He can't possibly be a starter, so he won't push Trent. Trent will get hurt, so we give the reigns to this guy. I mean c'mon, just make a sign that says: "screw it, now we're just rubbing it in"

Doubling the chroise.

Ok, so we signed someone to be our 2nd string QB. Why is everyone up in arms? We already knew Losman was out. We filled a need and got a good enough player to fill the role.

So what if Scout has him ranked at #20. We signed him to be a backup, of course his ranking will be low.

This is just the 1st day of FA and there are plenty of players out there. Relax.

Ok, so we signed someone to be our 2nd string QB. Why is everyone up in arms? We already knew Losman was out. We filled a need and got a good enough player to fill the role.

So what if Scout has him ranked at #20. We signed him to be a backup, of course his ranking will be low.

This is just the 1st day of FA and there are plenty of players out there. Relax.

Everyone is in arms because whether you like Trent or not - the guy tends to get hurt. Plus I was hoping that they would bring in a guy who is proven and could be a mentor to Trent. Someone like Garcia, Batch, Brad Johnson, maybe even Leftwich.

As I posted on the main board just a clone of Trent, dink and dunk from the Z Report with Lance Zierlein:

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/

Our newest clone QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Bengals: Fitzpatrick finished the last eight games of the year with a 4-4 record and 6 TDs with 4 INTs. He's a much better scrambler than I expected but he never really looked down the field much which could hurt his chances with the Texans. Fitzpatrick had a 59% completion percentage, but he also relied on too many check-downs and short passes. Still, he's young and should be fairly inexpensive.

And he is inexpensive which should make Ralph Wilson really happy after Levy gave away the bank to two duds in Royal and Dockery. I just hope as Ice used to say "the A$$clowns"we will be signing better have warmer bodies than the two stiffs the Bills just cut.

A ruderless ship will eventually hit the shoals and sink. That's the Bills today. NO GM and no one can say with certainty who is in charge- I asked all three of the Canadians running the ticket office and none of them knew...sad. Place used to be packed with people working at OBD and I knew many of them. Ran into one guy I knew from years past and he comfirmed what I had heard elsewhere that Wilson's daughter, Linda Bogdan (a VP) is going to have a greater say in the draft and is still in charge of evaluating O-linemen. It might have been my imagination but I could have sworn the I noticed him giving a thumbs down sign when he said this. Another thing the place was like a morgue; no chatter, no laughing or even arguing. This must be the new "don't disagree with anyone group" I used to be there so often it was like a second home but the blank zombie like stares got me to thinking that the "Real OBD" is floating around in space and that the Twilite Zone has taken the present TBD into the fifth dimension. Not kidding, I had a really wierd feeling after I left the building.Maybe it was the hot Chocolate

Didn't he actually play decently for the Bungles?

:wallbash:

Yes.

I mean, you have to like what they say on on bb.com:

"Fitzpatrick (6’2” 225) started 12 games completing better than 59 percent of his passes. He threw for over 1,900 yards with eight touchdowns and nine interceptions and a passer rating of 70. The Harvard product played his first two NFL seasons with St. Louis.

“There comes a point where you can’t really improve or grow unless you’re on the field and last year was a big step for me in terms of getting those 12 starts,” said Fitzpatrick.

Buffalo made no secret that they wanted to add a veteran quarterback as a backup to Trent Edwards, that understands his role. The coaching staff is hopeful that a veteran can help to mentor Edwards on the finer points of the game as he continues to develop.

“I think it’s helped me a lot in my career to play behind Marc Bulger and Carson Palmer,” said Fitzpatrick. “I’ve been able to see how they approach the game, and in doing that I’ve been able to help them out. I think that’s what I’m going to bring here. Trent is still a young guy and I’m going to help him out with his preparation. I’m going to be his eyes when he’s on the field and I’m looking forward to that relationship.”

Fitzpatrick is considered a superior student of the game with good character marks all the way around. "

Shhhh, that will only P.O. the negative Nellies. Common sense has very little place here.

I think this is a good move. He's not coming in to be the starter, just come in when (unfortunately not if) Edwards gets hurt. He'll do a decent job and will be more competent on the field than JP was last year. Now the Bills FO can focus on filling other gaps.

Shhhh, that will only P.O. the negative Nellies. Common sense has very little place here.

Um, no we weren't. JP is a dumb meathead jock who can't do anything productive once his #1 WR is covered on the deep route. Essentially, JP = a more durable RJ. Fitzpatrick doesn't have JP's physical skills, but should more than make up for it with a brain fit for a modern NFL QB. Someone who can sustain drives and keep our defense from having to be on the field for 3/4 of the game.

:w00t: Who the eff cares about his avg. per pass? If the guy can get to the red zone and punch it in then he's better than JP. Short pass drives give the defense more time to rest. This guy is a MUCH better answer than JP.

You guys would be whining no matter what, I actually like this signing. One less thing we have to worry about. :o

;)

A good signing and a quality 2nd QB. Smart, understands offenses and defenses and will fill his duty well. It is an upgrade as he is better than JP and will be a solid 2nd QB........he is not going to win you a SB but can go in and win a handful of games for you. Or at least have the common sense to throw a ball away before the 2 minute warning instead of taking a sack and fumbling.

Actually his stats for last season weren't too bad. 8 TD passes vs 9 INTs for 1905 yds & just under 60& completion percentage. He also had over 300 yds running.

The negatives?? His average yards per passing attempt was 5.1. His yds per rush was higher at around 6.0. Both Whoseyourmomma and Ocho Cinco averaged about 10 yds per reception which is pretty poor. I remember being offered Housh in my FFL but all I had to see were games like 7 receptions for about 50 yds to stay away from him. So, no deep balls from this guy. Probably for the best considering the RWS weather factor, but you'd like to have the threat.

Sure we could've picked up Rosenfels for a 4th but we didn't.

Rosenfels wants to be a starter and deserves to be.

Fitzpatrick (6’2” 225) started 12 games completing better than 59 percent of his passes. He threw for over 1,900 yards with eight touchdowns and nine interceptions and a passer rating of 70 for a very poor team.

I really, really like this signing. I wanted Garcia here, but he is not going anywhere where he isn't going to be the big cheese. Fitzp. is a good player. He is a leader. He might not have a super arm, but he is very savvy.

This signing doesn't threaten TE, but if he regresses Fitz can step in more than adequately. This is a Holcomb type signing, except this kid has b*lls.

C

:w00t:

It's an ok move. Not ground shifting. I've seen him play a few times and he really looked like he continued to get better as the year went on last season. He was dreadful in the first few games I saw but later in the year he looked a lot more competent.

He's an upgrade over Losman, in that he can actually manage an offense. Has Losman generated any interest yet from anyone?

I hoped for a more veteran backup. Someone who could help teach Trent. I do remember

Fitzpatrick playing pretty well for the Rams having a few 300 yard plus games in a row.

OK signing at best, not bad as a project, but not second string.

I am not so sure about that, really. This guy is the bottom of the barrel.

Perfectly put. Its way way way way way worse than grossman, worse than losman, worse than just about anybody. The memory of him that stands out for me was calling my bookie as quickly as I could to bet on the browns when he was announced as starter for the bungles. I honestly think he might be the worst qb in the nfl

Perfectly put. Its way way way way way worse than grossman, worse than losman, worse than just about anybody. The memory of him that stands out for me was calling my bookie as quickly as I could to bet on the browns when he was announced as starter for the bungles. I honestly think he might be the worst qb in the nfl

I think that's some serious hyperbole.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Fitzpatrick had a 70.0 QB rating last year. IIRC, Grossman had a 59.7 QB rating last year. The last game of 2007 against the Packers he had 0.0 rating. I repeat a 0.0 rating. If you think Grossman would be better than Fitzpatrick you have no idea what you're talking about.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Fitzpatrick had a 70.0 QB rating last year. IIRC, Grossman had a 59.7 QB rating last year. The last game of 2007 against the Packers he had 0.0 rating. I repeat a 0.0 rating. If you think Grossman would be better than Fitzpatrick you have no idea what you're talking about.

I agree that Grossman sucks, but he has had some success in the league, moreso than fitzpatrick. I don't want him either, but I'd rather have signed a guy whose proven he can play than a complete nobody. I'm happy we addressed the center position and I'm way more concerned about how we're goning to address the d line/lb positions than I am about back up qb. I don't want to get into an argument about whether cow sh*t stinks worse than dog sh*t by comparing grossman to fitzpatrick, but fitzpatrick stinks, there's no quesiton about it.