What if Trent completely chokes the first couple games?

marioc

I just had a bad thought that if Trent somehow played very poorly the first couple of games would the fans and media start calling for him to be benched? How long of a leash do you think he should get? I would hate to see him benched too soon with no *good* alternatives waiting in the wings but I would also hate to see the Bills miss the playoffs again.

By *good*, I mean consistently good, not does one good thing followed up by one or more extremely costly bone-headed things. Not naming any names or anything.....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had a bad thought that if Trent somehow played very poorly the first couple of games would the fans and media start calling for him to be benched? How long of a leash do you think he should get? I would hate to see him benched too soon with no *good* alternatives waiting in the wings but I would also hate to see the Bills miss the playoffs again.

By *good*, I mean consistently good, not does one good thing followed up by one or more extremely costly bone-headed things. Not naming any names or anything.....

Helllloooo..... Hamdan? The Chroise shall set us free.

If Edwards isn't good the bills aren't making the playoffs regardless, so it's a null argument. With that said. You give him the season.

What If Edwards lights it up his first couple of games?

And by *Lights it up* I mean the scoreboard.

Same answer. You give him the season and judge the broad context of games, not the moment.

Helllloooo..... Hamdan? The Chroise shall set us free.

Have you ever seen Hamdan do anything, let alone anything good? But yes, that very well might be the rallying call come week 4. God, I hope not....

If Edwards isn't good the bills aren't making the playoffs regardless, so it's a null argument. With that said. You give him the season.

Same answer. You give him the season and judge the broad context of games, not the moment.

Agreed...for the love of all things holy, let him start every game he is physically capable of. The Bills decided the JP Experiment was over so now it is Trent's turn to rise and fall on his talent alone. The only acceptable way for JP to enter a game is injury and regardless of play, when Trent is ready, he gets his job back. No MORE QB CAROUSEL.

If he fails, then the Bills are right back at where we started and we trade a first rounder for Colt Brennan based on his preseason play (JOKING!)

How is that any different from Losman losing 4 and 5 straight games in his 2nd season?

Let's not panic and see what happens.

Seattle and Jacksonville is the hard part of the schedule. Followed by Raiders, Rams and Cards.

If the Bills are not at least 3-2 then we should start to worry and look at what the real reason is.

What if Trent completely chokes the first couple games?, Quarterback controversy pt. 2?

let's flash back to 2007, where the topic was:

What if JP completely chokes the first couple games? Quarterback controversy?

Sound familiar?

Any team with a young unproven QB will be asking the what if questions? If the Bills believe TE is the QB of the future, they stick with him. Since they didn't bring a veteran QB into camp, I have to believe they are confident in his abilities. He will not get pulled for poor play this year...

I guess that the JP homers will call him on it. I vote to keep him in through thick and thin, he isn't JP in his 4th year. I hope for the best and will wait and see all season, if he can stay healthy.

You'd be guessing wrong for most of us so-called JP homers because for most of us, our problem was never about Trent, it was about how JP was managed. If Trent starts sucking, and Jauron starts dicking around with "We'll let you know who's starting by Wednesday" crap, the JP homers will likely be pissing and moaning about the way Trent is managed.

You can't sit him if he stinks it up in the first couple of games, especially since it's his second year. He is expected to struggle this year, teams have film on him now and know how to prepare better for him. Hell, Peyton Mannings worst year was his 2nd. He had a rating of 71 and threw more Ints. then TD's. If Trent is at the very least as good as he was in his first few games of his career then we should be alright, IMO, if he is then it will mean that he has adjusted to others teams adjusting to him, this I believe is one of the most important attributes a QB can have. I think Trent has it and it will show by the end of this season.

What if the team chokes? Do we bench everybody?

Have you ever seen Hamdan do anything, let alone anything good? But yes, that very well might be the rallying call come week 4. God, I hope not....

Plenty and then some... See my sig for vid. Read the OTA/TC reports, very positive on Hamdan. Watch the OTA/TC highlight vids; watch for #10, lots of good stuff.

You must not have much familiarity with Buffalo, the Bills, or fans to ask such a question.

Bills fans are patient to a point. But, we live in a world of 'what have you done for me lately'?

Any Bill who chokes or doesn't play up to, or close to, expectations will incur the wrath of the fans. That's guaranteed. Edwards or other.

Two games in a row? Completly choke? Edwards? Dude... I've got $500 that says that won't happen... game on?

You'd be guessing wrong for most of us so-called JP homers because for most of us, our problem was never about Trent, it was about how JP was managed. If Trent starts sucking, and Jauron starts dicking around with "We'll let you know who's starting by Wednesday" crap, the JP homers will likely be pissing and moaning about the way Trent is managed.

Good post.

Wait a minute here! If he will suck, then you need to take everything into account. My guess would be we have no running game and thus putrid blocking on pass attempts or receivers continually dropping balls.

Very rarely can you blame a loss or ineptitude on just one person in a team sport!

Then we draft another retard in the first rd..LOL..Or we trade 3 first rd picks for Quinn who will be another bust for us..If Trent blows up I give up..How many bad choices can a franchise make at that point...They all cant be bad..One has to be right

Then we draft another retard in the first rd..LOL..Or we trade 3 first rd picks for Quinn who will be another bust for us..If Trent blows up I give up..How many bad choices can a franchise make at that point...They all cant be bad..One has to be right

Look at the coaching staff and ask yourself if you feel they can develop a young QB into a good one.

If Trent Edwards chokes early on, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a QB controversy as there should be.

Hamdan was NFL Europe MVP in 2005. He was on the squad of Seattle where he studied under Jim Zorn and Mike Holmgren. He also spent time in the Redskins stable under HOF coach Joe Gibbs. I saw him in the Seahawks scrimmage in 2005. He looked good. Granted this is not NFL regular season football, but the guy can flat out play.

I hope he gets some playing time in pre season.

If Trent Edwards chokes early on, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a QB controversy as there should be.

Hamdan was NFL Europe MVP in 2005. He was on the squad of Seattle where he studied under Jim Zorn and Mike Holmgren. He also spent time in the Redskins stable under HOF coach Joe Gibbs. I saw him in the Seahawks scrimmage in 2005. He looked good. Granted this is not NFL regular season football, but the guy can flat out play.

I hope he gets some playing time in pre season.

Come on, he looked good in a scrimmage......"he can flat out play" is reserved for players that can "flat out play".

GO BILLS!

Come on, he looked good in a scrimmage......"he can flat out play" is reserved for players that can "flat out play".

GO BILLS!

NFL Europe MVP. Sort of like Kurt Warner and Brad Johnson. HOF coach Joe Gibbs and Mike Holmgren thought he was good enough to be on their teams. If he gets in the pre season, mark my words, you'll see that he can in fact "flat out play".

GO BILLS !!

wasnt this the plan last year with losman? im not even being a homer, just stating the obvious. this is a very timid coaching staff, and if things start going wrong they will scramble and do whatever they think can help them win.

this cannot be stressed enough. people are allowed to think that in a perfect world, jp's tools will take him farther than trents. not a bad thing. not even saying he should be playing this year. just dont screw up trent like we did with jp. either way, if the offensive gameplan and play calling doesnt improve this year, trent will look like like sh-- this year like both quarterbacks did last year and all you'll everyone say is that 'its his second year...blah'. the rest of this offense has the tools to be good, and if we get some nfl caliber play calling, there is NO REASON why this offense shouldnt improve tenfold even if the coaches put some chroise under center.

Wait a minute here! If he will suck, then you need to take everything into account. My guess would be we have no running game and thus putrid blocking on pass attempts or receivers continually dropping balls.

Very rarely can you blame a loss or ineptitude on just one person in a team sport!

noooo....thats what we do here. stop using your head, pick one guy and blame him.

:doh: Please... NO... I can't take it :wallbash: ... NOT ANOTHER JP/TRENT thread!!! :doh:

Trent's the starter, JPs on the bench. It is what it is despite what some of us may want and despite how hard we argue about it on this forum. Let if :lol: go, people! :angry:

Even if Edwards is completely horrible, doesn't put up any points whatsoever, can't throw the ball very far and has no concept of what the word "blitz" means he will still probably be better than he was last year.

This will mean he has made progress and progress is what we should be looking for. His horrific play last year was actually awesome when you consider he was a third round rookie. This year he will be a third round second year player so th fact that he completely sucks will hurt a little more than it did in 07, but still not really bad. When he trots out with gloves on October 1st, I think you will see a few of the non-fashion aware fans go a little crazy.

What if Trent Edwards and the Bills are good? What will we whine about?

PTR

Not trading Losman while we could get something for him.

Or we could all join Bill in NYC in whining about picking McKevlin in the first round... :lol:

No leash. I don't want him to be playing to keep his job every week, I want him to play to win. If they even THNIK of pulling the same bull sh-- games with Edwards that they did with Losman, I will personally go to OBD and personally slap Dick Jauron upside the head with a dead cat.

No leash. I don't want him to be playing to keep his job every week, I want him to play to win. If they even THNIK of pulling the same bull sh-- games with Edwards that they did with Losman, I will personally go to OBD and personally slap Dick Jauron upside the head with a dead cat.

I agree, I just wonder about the nature of the average Bills fan and the pressure the organization might feel if things went very poorly. I sure hope they stick with Trent and allow him to grow in an environment that supports him. It didn't happen for JP but here's to hoping they learned something from that.