The end of "moving the chains"?

Posted (edited)

The NFL apparently is looking at electronic means for measuring first down yardage.

NFL to test optical tracking system for line-to-gain rulings in preseason with eyes toward 2024 implementation - CBSSports.com*

*Dang!  I can't get the title to become a linky thingy!

Edited by RangerDave
technologically challenged
  • Like (+1) 1

I saw that earlier. They're going to try it in the preseason. I think it'll be several years before the chain gangs are no more. I think the coaches will still want it. While fans in the stands can see the orange marker on the field, I don't think the coaches can. Especially on a field with a high pitch. 

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

In some respects this is long over due ! The end zone should have some kind of lighting system that when the ball crosses the goal line it lights up on either side of the field to indicate the crossing, then if there is a replay if the lights come on before their knee goes down TD easy peasy .

Same with first downs and such i think it would make the game better and make it move a bit faster . 

Even if they do implement this there will be still be many things fans can complain about !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, T master said:

In some respects this is long over due ! The end zone should have some kind of lighting system that when the ball crosses the goal line it lights up on either side of the field to indicate the crossing then if there is a replay if the lights come on before their knee goes down TD easy peasy .

Sam with first downs and such i think it would make the game better and make it move a bit faster . 

Even if they do implement this there will be still be many things fans can complain about !! 

How about a light behind the goal posts?  :D 

Maybe balloons and confetti.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

So instead of blaming the refs we can all start blaming the powers that be who are in charge of marking the spot electronicly. This will change nothing in the eyes of those who believe in fixes. 

Not true. It will be one less thing that can be fixed. 

I’m all for it. End goal being touch sensors to measure “subjective” penalties using touch pressure in certain body areas. Hopefully 10 years away. 

By standardizing penalties like this, it becomes a software you can pass to development leagues. Players will develop muscle memory from high school by knowing what a penalty is exactly. Will lead to reduced penalties. Players will “know” what a penalty is exactly. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1st down play ends: some official puts his foot down within approximately a couple inches of the actual tip of the ball.

2nd down ends: repeat.

3rd down ends: repeat.

Error of up to 6 inches after 3 plays.

Bring the sticks out and find, definitively, that he came up an inch short!

Hint: the laser won't improve this.

3 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Not true. It will be one less thing that can be fixed. 

People will still say that the computers have been hacked.

"Those darn (insert the political party, football team, or country you dislike) are in on the fix!"

People will always find someone or something to blame loss on.

57 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m gonna sound like an old man but I love the chain. I think they already have a microchip in it, just keep doing that.

👉👆 Like the old Subway commercials. Drama....changing channels.

Nothing like the old chain measurement for dramatic effect. 

1 hour ago, T master said:

In some respects this is long over due ! The end zone should have some kind of lighting system that when the ball crosses the goal line it lights up on either side of the field to indicate the crossing then if there is a replay if the lights come on before their knee goes down TD easy peasy .

Sam with first downs and such i think it would make the game better and make it move a bit faster . 

The game is also popular due to the controversies from these human elements.  If you take them away, you are making the games more robotic.  Leave the Human elements in the game.

• Disagree 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

this will change chain everything!!!!

Fixed

28 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

How ‘bout scantily clad hotties working for the chain gang? 😍

I knew I liked you. 

• Haha (+1) 3