OTAs 5/21

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Love how fluid Coleman looks.  Albeit, against air.  Nice cuts, smooth.  I especially love how he catches the ball - looks it in, arms up when the ball arrives and not too early, good hands.

Interesting how both 13 and 14 were reissued quickly.  No reason not to of course.

He looks like Kincaid did under a similar situation last year.  Just a natural at snagging the ball and turning upfield.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree.

As someone who has been vocal the past few weeks about our WR room not being up to snuff, I feel a bit better about it today than I did on May 1st.

MVS, while not a world beater, adds some depth and downfield ability. Claypool so far is saying and doing all the right things, and if he actually has his head screwed on straight, has shown in the past that he has the ability to be an 800 yards per year type talent. I've been focusing more on what Coleman potentially CAN do than what he CAN'T do, and that has softened my apprehension about him at least a little bit. Beane talked up Shakir as being underrated on the Chris Long show, and I suspect he may have a big role this year.

I said all along that if they weren't gonna have top quality, then I at least wanted them to have quantity and variety. With Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, MVS, Claypool, Hollins, and then a Shorter/Shavers/Hamler deathmatch....I think the WR group may be fine. I still don't think it's gonna make anyone's top 10 lists, but combined with Kincaid/Knox, Cook/Davis, and the way Brady likes to spread the ball around, I think the Bills still have a chance to be pretty good on offense.

All of that said...I still hope they draft, sign, or trade for a dynamic WR in 2025, and I'd still be fine with them acquiring one post June 1st this year as well, though I give it an extremely low chance of happening.

Nice to see you back to thinking logically again 😛

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Logic said:

Chase Claypool taking the early lead in the 25th annual "Buffalo Bills offseason darling wide receiver" series.

Like with Drew Hadaad, Da'Rick Rodgers, Naaman Roosevelt, and Andy Isabella before him, I'm predicting 75 catches for 1,100 yards and 10 TDs.

Add the legendary du rag wearing David Sills to that esteemed group. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He looks like Kincaid did under a similar situation last year.  Just a natural at snagging the ball and turning upfield.

How can you just not love this?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/21/2024 at 11:45 AM, HappyDays said:

Here's the full McDermott quote on Claypool:

"Very impressed with Chase. Really just starting with his approach, here's a veteran receiver, former high pick, that has been on a journey, right, through the course of recently in his career. I applaud Chase for coming here to see where things go. He's very focused, he's working extremely hard day in and day out. And embracing not just the wide receiver role that he could play for us, but also the special teams role that he could play for us. You don't find that a lot around the NFL where a player has been at a certain level and then is on a mission right now to reclaim what he once was in that regard. And those are my words, maybe not fair to Chase, respectfully, but I would just say like very impressed with his day to day approach, true pro, high character, smart player, and he's been a good addition to our team."

This is extremely high praise from the normally tight lipped McDermott. No clue if it will translate on the field but it's a good sign.

If potentially going to the CFL rattled his cage enough to put the work in, it could be a huge win for us. The guy obviously has the tools to be an elite receiver and actually has shown it on the field. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

How can you just not love this?

Because...40 time...draft pundits...not who I wanted...etc., etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Even though they are just OTAs, it's nice to have some football to see and talk about again.  I just wish the media could get new content every day!  They only have 1 practice a week to get content, but I need my football fix!  I just wish we had more coverage every day as to what is happening in these sessions, specifically the team sessions, like we can get from training camp.  Yes, I know.....that may seem crazy and obsessive to some, but I just love this stuff so much.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 5

On 5/21/2024 at 1:00 PM, Logic said:

Same.

Refs rule it one way, then some guys in black run on the field and talk to them, then suddenly the call is changed.

Ridiculous.

Controversal view here but it was the correct decision,  I was in the stands with a bunch of bill fans and no one knew what was going on.  It was the only game on at that time, obviously the call came from the league to declare in a touchback.  Had they not, the game would have effectively been over at that point, it took a series of miracles by Deshaun Watson to come back in that game. 

Maybe back the then letter of the rules it would have been a TD but that was no way to clinch a playoff game.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Controversal view here but it was the correct decision,  I was in the stands with a bunch of bill fans and no one knew what was going on.  It was the only game on at that time, obviously the call came from the league to declare in a touchback.  Had they not, the game would have effectively been over at that point, it took a series of miracles by Deshaun Watson to come back in that game. 

Maybe back the then letter of the rules it would have been a TD but that was no way to clinch a playoff game.

I was at the game as well, and I respectfully disagree that it was the correct call.

The league effectively said "well he didn't follow the rule that we have for this situation, but we knew what he MEANT to do". They let the player off the hook for not following a clearly written NFL rule. That sets a dangerous precedent. As Shaw pointed out earlier in the thread, why did Dawkins not get the same leeway later in the game for the blindside block call?

I understand why the NFL did it, I guess, but I will NEVER agree that it was the right thing to do. Should've been a Bills touchdown.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Brand J said:

Add the legendary du rag wearing David Sills to that esteemed group. 

I remember going to that camp and Sills also had these ridiculous short shorts that were like cut even higher in the front than the back - deserved to be cut for the shorts alone

sill.jpg

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, sunshynman said:

I swear some of these guys are made up!

Perry Tuttle is on the list of Buffalo first round busts.  I forget the year, but it was in the decade of the 80s.  Joe Ferguson may have been the QB.  He washed out of the league pretty quickly when the Bills figured out what everybody else apparently knew.  Tuttle caught balls with his body and his hands were terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

How about some love for Perry Tuttle?

hey don't knock Perry. He's a good dude. his nephew is down here where my farm is; Shy. he played for the Saints a while and now with CArolina.  good kid.

Edited by boyst

6 hours ago, stevewin said:

I watched all the PCs/interviews last night (as well as Bean's Chris Long interview) - one thing that stood out to me was a recurring theme of receivers individually or as a collective being very focused and willing to contribute any way they can - with lots of leadership and guys with different skill sets.  Thought it was interesting too that Beane singled out Hollins as a "glue guy" that "brings everyone together" which leads me to think he has an inside track to be on the 53.  At this point they really seem comfortable with the make-up of the WR room.

Also thought it was a cool moment when Josh just lit up when MVS yelled something at him off screen during his PC. 

Josh Allen mentioned him several times in his interview, as well.

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 9:39 AM, Logic said:

Chase Claypool taking the early lead in the 25th annual "Buffalo Bills offseason darling wide receiver" series.

Like with Drew Hadaad, Da'Rick Rodgers, Naaman Roosevelt, and Andy Isabella before him, I'm predicting 75 catches for 1,100 yards and 10 TDs.

Big difference - Claypool was a high draft pick and has been productive in the NFL.  None of these other guys are both of those things, although Isabella was a fairly high draft pick (2nd round) and Roosevelt made a few regular season catches for the Bills over a 2 year span.

But I do agree with you that there is always an unknown player that makes a lot of noise in camp every year, gets a lot of notoriety on this board, and never amounts to anything in the league, and it's almost always a WR.  There are a few at other positions, like Mike Jasper and Landon Cohen.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, HardyBoy said:

Definitely possible... could also be where when they signed him they gave them their word that no matter if there is a spot ultimately for him, that if he comes in and genuinely tries and has an awesome attitude, that they would help him try and catch on with a different team. 

So where normally he would keep that in house and in a meeting room or a 1-1 convo with a player, he's saying it publicly because the guy has a reputation that maybe isn't fair or he is working on changing the perception.

Lets hope there is a spot for Claypool.  The guy was a big timer at ND.  Was a second round pick and has ability.  If he plays hard and has a good attitude, I see no reason he isn't part of the WR group this year.  Shakir, Coleman, Samuel, MVS, Claypool and Hollins could be a real nice group for us.

• Thank you (+1) 1