Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think we need to quit getting so worked up about the numbering of WRs and look at performance.

The performance of the WRs in the corps is what concerns me. It is also what determines their numbering. I like Samuel and Shakir, but they are both WR3s in a good WR corps. We will see what Coleman can become. I’ll leave that as TBD. Beyond that I just see WR4s and below. 

• Agree 1

Somebody should tell Beane that three WR3s doesn't make a WR1.  

I don't hate the MVS signing. In a vacuum it's fine, but we're using our whole paycheck on scratch offs and expecting a big payout. 

MVS could work out, but he's played with elite QBs his whole career and still had drop issues.

Posted (edited)

I have to agree with those pointing out the difference between OBJ in Miami and OBJ in Buffalo.

Even if the money was the same, he already knows the sales pitch:

Come to Buffalo, play with your boy Von.  JA as your QB.  But it's Buffalo weather and half your game checks will be taxed to death so the money wouldn't even be the same .. and you're WR4 on the depth chart.  They're not stunting Shakir & Coleman's growth unless they fall on their face and Brady wanted Curtis Samuel.  We also have a Dalton Kincaid on our roster to eat up targets.

Or.. go to Miami.  It's Miami weather and Florida taxes...  Tua is good, not great, but you'll put up numbers, be in contention all year and play WR3 on a team that has a WR1 & WR2 that terrify other defenses. 

Aside from going in on a WR1 via trade, an MVS signing is basically the most sensible move we can make right now.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The performance of the WRs in the corps is what concerns me. It is also what determines their numbering. I like Samuel and Shakir, but they are both WR3s in a good WR corps. We will see what Coleman can become. I’ll leave that as TBD. Beyond that I just see WR4s and below. 

My point is that this numbering stuff is artificial.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hopefully Joe Brady is as good as the team thinks. The OC hiring process was a sham. I don't necessarily mean that critically, it just was. They are putting a lot of faith in Brady being somewhat of an offensive genius and getting the most out of a group of complementary players that's missing a true difference maker.

Or maybe they're placing their faith in Kincaid to take a big step and become capable of a #1 target share. That's not a completely unlikely scenario.

One way or another someone on offense, coach or player, will have to be magnitudes better than they were last year for this offense to be championship caliber.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllin said:

Looks like he will be more frustrating than Davis was looking at his catch rate

Unlike Davis he won't be playing 90% of snaps..... Would much rather have MVS at WR4 than Davis at WR2

• Like (+1) 2

MVS is a bulls alum, and as a fellow alum I always enjoyed watching him play.  He isn't top tier by any means, but if he comes in as a #4 that can push the boundary, there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

All the people that wanted Brian Thomas Jr should love this move

They are the same type of player, and neither has been reliable catching the ball

Unknown vs known is a huge difference. I think he has potential to be what Robby Anderson was for Joe Brady in Carolina. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

One way or the other someone on offense, coach or player, will have to be magnitudes better than they were last year for this offense to be championship caliber.

I think more likely they are hoping everyone is a bit better..... supporting cast, coordinator and Quarterback. Not blaming Josh for our offensive struggles last year but it was his worst season since his breakout IMO both in terms of mechanics and decision making. They need him to be better this year because I think it is likely the supporting cast is at best a push. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Double dip at WR in the draft was the obvious move. Signing the more talented OBJ for almost the same money we are getting MVS for. Don't act like there weren't other options.

I think it’s fair if you think they could have at pick 95 gone Troy Franklin, Baker or McCaffery (not realistic to expect them to go WR at pick 60 given other needs on the roster) but the WR’s gone in the mid round range were not needle movers year one type players.

BUT I think Obj did cost significantly more than MVS. OBJ’s deal has 3 million guaranteed vs. MVS 1.25. OBJ’s deal also has much more of a top end as his deal tops out over 8.25 million vs. MVS topping out just over 4 million. The money is a significant difference.

You could think the difference is worth it so to speak but I would rather go with MVS cheaper than OBJ. MVS is younger at 30 vs. OBJ 32. While 2 years isn’t much of a difference OBJ has played 9 seasons with two major injuries and missed 3 games last season. Whereas MVS has played only 6 seasons with no major injuries only missing about 7 games in 6 seasons most of which came on a IR stint in 2021 which he came back from in season.

I think given the tight cap situation they probably are going to wait until in season to make a move closer to the trade deadline before they make any major move. Cap wise it seems to be easier and they probably want to see what they have first

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Unknown vs known is a huge difference. I think he has potential to be what Robby Anderson was for Joe Brady in Carolina. 

That's fair, but we are in a win now mode with Josh, so the experience MVS has is valuable right now

BTJ could become much better than MVS will ever be, but I'd take MVS this season over him

• Like (+1) 1