Goff 4yr $212M extension

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Still boggles the mind that after Tua, Dak, and now Goff. Josh Allen will be the 13th highest paid QB in football with guys like Daniel Jones counting more against the cap this year.

Goff deserves it he’s not Josh no one not named Patrick is but he’s solid and it’s clear the Lions have about a 2 year Super Bowl window before that division gets to be a bear to get through. 

it's all based on what year they sign

15 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

Contracts coming up include Lawrence, Prescott, Love and Tua! So glad we got Josh taken care of when we did. Go Bills!!🏈🍻

I think Beane gets under-rated here sometimes - his long-term lock-ups have pretty much all been spot-on, marred only by injury (Tre White).  But Josh, Milano, Dawkins, Power and Hyde in their prime, Oliver (a surprise to me) -- all great moves that have provided a ton of value and kept us competitive year-after-year-after-year (plus Josh's greatness, which he gets fair credit for projecting).  And making hard choices on beloved players were all good calls as well (Singletary, Edmunds, Diggs, Horrible Harry).  I think he is in a small handful of the very best GMs.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I think Beane gets under-rated here sometimes - his long-term lock-ups have pretty much all been spot-on, marred only by injury (Tre White).  But Josh, Milano, Dawkins, Power and Hyde in their prime, Oliver (a surprise to me) -- all great moves that have provided a ton of value and kept us competitive year-after-year-after-year (plus Josh's greatness, which he gets fair credit for projecting).  And making hard choices on beloved players were all good calls as well (Singletary, Edmunds, Diggs, Horrible Harry).  I think he is in a small handful of the very best GMs.

This is a good point. His decisions on re-signing his own have been good and generally at sensible values too. Taron Johnson in that list too. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

He made a blunder with giving an earlier extension to Knox, but then Knox did have a great season

Goff is a solid QB but the whole appeal of Goff for the Lions was that Goff at a 30ish million dollar cap number giving you lower top 10ish QB play allowed you to compete. Goff taking up about 13-15% of your cap allowed you to allocate resources to other areas of the roster while still having a good but not great QB. No Goff is going to occupy 20-22% of the cap and that's going to down the line lead to the Lions having to let players walk and weaken other areas of their roster and not having elite QB play to make up for that. The Lions drafting now has a lower margin for error as they now have to get more cheaper talent to fill in the gaps their cap space cannot. It's a QB league and they are rewarding Goff whose in his prime at age 30 but it is just a possible bad point for them to be in. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Goff is a solid QB but the whole appeal of Goff for the Lions was that Goff at a 30ish million dollar cap number giving you lower top 10ish QB play allowed you to compete. Goff taking up about 13-15% of your cap allowed you to allocate resources to other areas of the roster while still having a good but not great QB. No Goff is going to occupy 20-22% of the cap and that's going to down the line lead to the Lions having to let players walk and weaken other areas of their roster and not having elite QB play to make up for that. The Lions drafting now has a lower margin for error as they now have to get more cheaper talent to fill in the gaps their cap space cannot. It's a QB league and they are rewarding Goff whose in his prime at age 30 but it is just a possible bad point for them to be in. 

He’s not going to take up that much of the cap. His average salary is 20.7% of the cap, but the cap keeps going up so that percentage will decreased substantially over the lifetime of the contract. 

1 minute ago, Billl said:

He’s not going to take up that much of the cap. His average salary is 20.7% of the cap, but the cap keeps going up so that percentage will decreased substantially over the lifetime of the contract. 

I saw a possible breakdown of the cap hits and it's giving the Lions a 3 year window to keep his current cap hit of about 13.5% of the cap. In 2027 it does jump to just under 17% which is more than I would like to spend but still manageable. Then in 2028 it jumps to 21%. They can't get out of the dead cap until 2028 when they would still take a 36 million dollar dead cap hit. They then take two modest dead cap hits in 2029 and 2030 eating 12.2 million or about 2.5-3% of the cap each year which is fairly minimal. 

2024 - $32.3M (current contract)

2025 - $38.2M ($12.2M SB + $26M salary)

2026 - $38.2M ($12.2M SB + $26M salary)

2027 - $52.2M ($12.2M SB + $40M salary)

2028 - $69.2M ($12.2M SB + $57M salary)

2029 - $12.2M SB Void Year

2030 - $12.2M SB Void Year

Lions by adding the void years to pad out the hit a bit and putting a big ballooned year in 2028 which they can somewhat get out of they keep their current good QB good contract situation going for at least a few more years if this breakout is true. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2024 at 7:47 AM, NewEra said:

As bad as this looks now, just wait til Ben Johnson leaves after the season.  

I think he may have screwed himself by spurning Washington. Lots of not great banter came out after that. Reminded me of when Josh Daniels spurned the colts. Shocked he got another offer after that 

On 5/13/2024 at 6:05 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah I’ve been seeing people celebrating Josh’s contract. He’s going to get more than everyone. Probably over $60

million when it’s all done.

It's just mind boggling, isn’t it? You ever step back and think about the big picture? Makes me wonder how we ever got to this point.

Somebody could come out of college, get a "good" job paying $100k per year, get small increases for the next 44 years, work 50 weeks a year, 5 days a week, and make maybe $5-6 million.

And then we have athletes who can make TEN TIMES that amount for roughly 7 month's work! I guess they'll keep getting paid even more, until the fans finally say "we've had enough and we don’t care anymore." Personally, I'm almost there.

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

It's just mind boggling, isn’t it? You ever step back and think about the big picture? Makes me wonder how we ever got to this point.

Somebody could come out of college, get a "good" job paying $100k per year, get small increases for the next 44 years, work 50 weeks a year, 5 days a week, and make maybe $5-6 million.

And then we have athletes who can make TEN TIMES that amount for roughly 7 month's work! I guess they'll keep getting paid even more, until the fans finally say "we've had enough and we don’t care anymore." Personally, I'm almost there.

They entertain the masses. Everyone spends money on something that removes them from the reality of life. A lot of people choose sports.

On 5/13/2024 at 5:22 PM, Sestak4ever said:

Contracts coming up include Lawrence, Prescott, Love and Tua! So glad we got Josh taken care of when we did. Go Bills!!🏈🍻

Tua will be the highest paid QB once he signs his contract. Guaranteed. Does he deserve it? Absolutely not, but neither do most of these top 10 QBs. There’s warts on Joe Burrow, but he’s currently the highest paid QB. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Josh Allen numbers are slightly skewed. Diggs accounts for 12% of our 2024 cap and he’s not even on the team. You take that out, Josh accounts for even high proportion. Still, these numbers are pretty tight. 

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

And teachers get flack because they have the summer off too. 

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think he may have screwed himself by spurning Washington. Lots of not great banter came out after that. Reminded me of when Josh Daniels spurned the colts. Shocked he got another offer after that 

Good- maybe he’ll stay another year. By that time, I think there’s a chance McD is replaced.  I’d guess that he’s got this year and next minimum.