Goff 4yr $212M extension

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The cap is going up like crazy so contracts are going up. Cap is projected to jump again. 

Elite QBs will get about 20% of the cap. 

They already get more than that. It was hovering around 24% a year ago, whereas in 2010 it was closer to 16%. Contracts go up, but that’s entirely based on position. RB for example hasn’t increased and takes up a lower percentage of the cap than in the past.

8 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’d put him in the top 10-12. You could do far worse and he has helped make Detroit relevant again. I’m a fan of his 

I would say that’s a fair range.  

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly this.  Why wouldn't they pay their franchise QB the going rate? His guarantee isn't even top 5 now.    It will seem like peanuts in 2 years with the ever exploding cap.

Why isn't this a smart move?

There’s always shock value every year because worse players get paid more than the top players. But it’s always based on cap %.

Burrow got 24%. Goff got 21%. When Mahomes signed his $45 million AAV deal he got 23%. So Burrow did get a little more. When Allen signed his deal he got 24%, but the cap was low due to covid. Allen would’ve got more.

If Allen signed a deal today he probably gets $61 million AAV.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Brand J said:

They already get more than that. It was hovering around 24% a year ago, whereas in 2010 it was closer to 16%. Contracts go up, but that’s entirely based on position. RB for example hasn’t increased and takes up a lower percentage of the cap than in the past.

The % does seem to go up slightly every year for QBs. I wonder when it stops? Maybe it stopped with Allen’s deal? He got 24% and Burrow got 24% 2 years later. No one has topped that yet.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The % does seem to go up slightly every year for QBs. I wonder when it stops? Maybe it stopped with Allen’s deal? He got 24% and Burrow got 24% 2 years later. No one has topped that yet.

Can’t remember where it was that I heard it, but Beane sounded like he was in favor of some sort of QB salary cap rules. He said something along the lines of “yeah, these QB contracts are getting a bit out there…”

EDIT: I do remember it came while discussing the approach to deciding who to pay when you’ve got a QB making as much as Josh (and Allen might not even be in the top 10 anymore!). It’s a quandary, you can’t win without a top QB, but their contracts make building a team challenging. 

Edited by Brand J

53 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

How many more years are currently on Josh’s deal?

He is under contract through the 2028 season.  This is only year 2 of his 6-year extension.

The average would be signing his next after the 2026 season.

I think he is slightly underrated. Always has been. I remember the heat I took on here after their rookie seasons for saying Goff's tape was better than Wentz's and that the results being skewed the other way was about circumstance not their abilities. 

He isn't the 2nd best QB in the league, obviously. But the QB market is the QB market. Either you have a guy and therefore when he comes due your are paying him top 3 or 4 money in AAV or you don't. They are the only twp options as Minnesota's failed attempt to keep Cousins this offseason showed. He is about to turn 36 coming off a major injury and the Vikings offered him what they thought that was worth and were blown out of the water.

3 hours ago, Special K said:

I live in Florida, but its an easy answer that I would rather live in the Buffalo area over the Detroit area

Detroit is a great place. People are awesome.  You all should check it out sometime.  No party like a Detroit party!!

• Like (+1) 1

Still boggles the mind that after Tua, Dak, and now Goff. Josh Allen will be the 13th highest paid QB in football with guys like Daniel Jones counting more against the cap this year.

Goff deserves it he’s not Josh no one not named Patrick is but he’s solid and it’s clear the Lions have about a 2 year Super Bowl window before that division gets to be a bear to get through. 

14 hours ago, DJB said:

Best part about this is that the cost for the Fish to sign Tua just went up !! Bahahahaahh

I doubt Tua's contract, if Miami offers him an extension,  will get close to Goff's. From what is being reported, Tua's availability and performance this season will determine if he is offered an extension.

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is slightly underrated. Always has been. I remember the heat I took on here after their rookie seasons for saying Goff's tape was better than Wentz's and that the results being skewed the other way was about circumstance not their abilities. 

He isn't the 2nd best QB in the league, obviously. But the QB market is the QB market. Either you have a guy and therefore when he comes due your are paying him top 3 or 4 money in AAV or you don't. They are the only twp options as Minnesota's failed attempt to keep Cousins this offseason showed. He is about to turn 36 coming off a major injury and the Vikings offered him what they thought that was worth and were blown out of the water.

Detroit had to do it, and it’s not an “awful” contract for a very good QB who will only turn 30 later this year.  As we’ve said for years, if you don’t have a QB you’re dead in this league and Goff is absolutely good enough.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah I’ve been seeing people celebrating Josh’s contract. He’s going to get more than everyone. Probably over $60

million when it’s all done.

4 years $2fiddyM with $1fiddyM GTD.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Will Josh be expecting an extension in 2025 ?  He is now not in the 10 Ten  paid QBs.  His current contract runs through 2028.

He might want to wait until the cap settle down a little. It might be $300 million in a few years. He’s already set for life. 

4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Will Josh be expecting an extension in 2025 ?  He is now not in the 10 Ten  paid QBs.  His current contract runs through 2028.

Goff got 170 mil. in guaranteed cash over 4 years. If Josh was getting a new 4 year contract now, he would get well 200 million guaranteed. My guess would be 250 mil. or very close to it.

Jmo.