What will happen with Knox?

7 hours ago, Chas56 said:

I like Knox and have been a fan; however, I also acknowledge that Kincaid is the better player. Knox has a large contract to be a #2 TE. In addition, there are only so many balls to go around. I don't know if Brady is designing some diabolical two TE sets or whatever. Also, I'm aware that Knox and Allen have a good relationship. I just have a suspicion that something like a trade is going to happen. Am I nuts?

Haha I love these topics-hey this guy is a backup and is now really overpaid, some other team is DEFINITELY going to trade for him!!

You think that team will give the Bills a first or second rounder too?!?!

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

There’s a reality that pass catchers will miss games and having some depth isn’t the worst. 

if prefer another viable wr but Knox is a good player 

There’s a reality that pass catchers will miss games and having some depth isn’t the worst. 

if prefer another viable wr but Knox is a good player 

Knox IS a good player.  He does a lot of things while on the field which help the running game and has to be watched as a receiver.  WHY the sudden hate on Knox??

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Free Speech said:

A mis-step by Beane. Happens to the best of them. The one thing I don't get is when he's described as "athletic..." Other than a few mean runs he seems clumsy to me 

Knox’s RAS was 9.23 and for a guy his size (6 foot 4 and 254 pounds) he ran fast at 4.59 40 and good in other speed and agility drills for a player of his size.

Now coordinated is a different story…

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DeepPass said:

Knox IS a good player.  He does a lot of things while on the field which help the running game and has to be watched as a receiver.  WHY the sudden hate on Knox??

there’s a section of the board that likes to be razor thin 

If Knox catches that easy first down against the Steelers, Bernard likely doesn’t get hurt and we have him for the game against the Chiefs. I’m not singling out that one play as a referendum on Dawson, but he lets too many routine plays get away from him. He’s 2nd string for a reason. 

37 minutes ago, Free Speech said:

A mis-step by Beane. Happens to the best of them. The one thing I don't get is when he's described as "athletic..." Other than a few mean runs he seems clumsy to me 

He is an elite athlete. But he looks clumsy on the field because he isn't a natural football player. Never quite figured out NFL caliber leverage or spacing, etc. I would bet a lot of those focus drops come down to him thinking too much on the field. The NFL is littered with elite athletes that are reduced to being just role players because they lack the intangibles, nothing unusual about that archetype.

Over the last year or two of his time with the Bills I'd like to keep his role simple. Basic blocking assignments, quick designed throws in the red zone, check down routes, that sort of thing. Let him use his natural athleticism without thinking too much and you have yourself a nice, albeit overpaid, complementary player.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He is an elite athlete. But he looks clumsy on the field because he isn't a natural football player. Never quite figured out NFL caliber leverage or spacing, etc. I would bet a lot of those focus drops come down to him thinking too much on the field. The NFL is littered with elite athletes that are reduced to being just role players because they lack the intangibles, nothing unusual about that archetype.

Over the last year or two of his time with the Bills I'd like to keep his role simple. Basic blocking assignments, quick designed throws in the red zone, check down routes, that sort of thing. Let him use his natural athleticism without thinking too much and you have yourself a nice, albeit overpaid, complementary player.

he's really not

i mean inasmuch as all NFL TEs are elite athletes

every team has a TE better than Knox. he's just not a good player

• Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

he's really not

i mean inasmuch as all NFL TEs are elite athletes

every team has a TE better than Knox. he's just not a good player

If you get over a 9.0 RAS score while actually running all of the drills, you're an elite athlete IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Haha I love these topics-hey this guy is a backup and is now really overpaid, some other team is DEFINITELY going to trade for him!!

You think that team will give the Bills a first or second rounder too?!?!

He was a 3rd in his draft. I would certainly talk about that at this point.

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Who cares? It’s gone. People need to stop obsessing with over it. 

Not sure anyone is “obsessing.” It’s not our money, just a bad deal handed out by our favorite team. And yes, it’s in the past, but that doesn’t preclude anyone from talking about it. 

I think we retain Knox both for tactical and financial/contract reasons.  

While Kincaid may be the better receiver, Knox and Kincaid have different skill sets.  Knox is the better blocker, works better in contested space, and can run through contact.  I don't think McD or Brady would want to give up what Knox offers.

Another consideration is that we don't have a bunch of proven wideouts, so we probably want to keep our two 'proven' TEs.  

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think we retain Knox both for tactical and financial/contract reasons.  

While Kincaid may be the better receiver, Knox and Kincaid have different skill sets.  Knox is the better blocker, works better in contested space, and can run through contact.  I don't think McD or Brady would want to give up what Knox offers.

Another consideration is that we don't have a bunch of proven wideouts, so we probably want to keep our two 'proven' TEs.  

Knox is also very close with Josh by many reports. Makes sense as Knox came in the team during Josh's second season and has been a somewhat consistent component of the offense for 5 straight seasons. Knox is the only player remaining on the roster from the 2019 season that has caught a pass from Josh Allen. With Diggs and Gabe gone Knox is only 1 of 2 players left from the 2020 and 2021 seasons to have caught a pass from Josh in those seasons (the other being Gilliam who only caught 5 passes total in those two seasons). 

Knox also willingly reworked his deal to lower his cap number this season kind of showing flexibility that I think will be key to him sticking around for at least this season and a season or two after. With the cash he's earned from 2022-2024 I think he's likely more willing to take a cut to stay but that remains to be seen, the Bills at least have an out after 2025 that's reasonable. 

As far as 2024 goes I think Knox is a decent component of the offense. I think given how good and versatile of a blocker Knox is that's going to allow Joe Brady to put in new wrinkles to the offense and alleviate pressure on the WR core by playing two TE's. Although Knox might be over paid he is still a starting caliber TE who adds more punch as the back up TE.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would prefer to try to draft a TE Day 2 next year who can take over as TE2 in 2026..

Quinton Morris anyone?

10 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Knox is history 

Seymour or Norty?

7 hours ago, Brand J said:

Joe Marino said that Knox is the highest paid skill player on offense. That’s wild.

That is wild.

4 hours ago, Brand J said:

If Knox catches that easy first down against the Steelers, Bernard likely doesn’t get hurt and we have him for the game against the Chiefs. I’m not singling out that one play as a referendum on Dawson, but he lets too many routine plays get away from him. He’s 2nd string for a reason. 

Isn't Knox a bit shaky in the catching department? It's been brought up by others elswhere that between Knox, James Cook and Gabe Davis that the Bills had too many players with undependable hands.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Chas56 said:

I like Knox and have been a fan; however, I also acknowledge that Kincaid is the better player. Knox has a large contract to be a #2 TE. In addition, there are only so many balls to go around. I don't know if Brady is designing some diabolical two TE sets or whatever. Also, I'm aware that Knox and Allen have a good relationship. I just have a suspicion that something like a trade is going to happen. Am I nuts?

He doesn’t though, he just took a haircut. He’ll have a year or two where he makes “too much” at $14/$17M. But then he’ll have another 3 years where he only counts $1M against the cap which is basically nothing. 

I suspect he’ll get one more contract here, they’ll add a year or two and get those $14/17M years under $10 and those $1M years will come up a bit. He’ll likely retire a Bill around 2029 at 35 years old. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/29132/dawson-knox