WR trade candidates, who do you want?

A good number of our fans (including myself) are expecting a post June 1st trade for a WR.  This WR should be of at least the quality of the expected 2024 Diggs.  Listed below are who I feel are the top contenders:

1.  DK Metcalf - rumored to be on the market, salary $13M, age 27.  Big, fast, would be great addition.

2.  B Aiyuk - previously rumored to be on the market and would make sense because SF has a lot of high priced WRs and drafted one in Round 1.  Salary $14M, age 26.  Downside is looking for big payday.

3.  D Hopkins - Tenn has glut of WRs.  Salary around $13M (maybe less based on how the $8M salary + $4M roster bonus is distributed).  age 32.

4.  D Adams - Raiders are going to stink and have no QB,  Adams contract is such that this looks like his last year w $44M next year.  Salary $17M, age 32.

Dark Horse candidates

5.  DJ Moore - former Carolina pick, salary $16M, age 27

6.  C Kupp - salary $15M, age 31

7.  C Godwin - salary $20M, age 28

The combination of draft capital and salary needed to be given for each listed WR makes is hard to figure out which way to go.  Lets hope Beane makes one happen.

• Like (+1) 9

None of the above.  I think the Bills are investing in Youth at the WR position with Kincaid, Coleman, Shakir,  Samuel and Claypool. I doubt they are going after a veteran WR...may be they will look for one with speed..but other than that this WR group is set for the next 2 years.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 15

I don’t know IF they would do it, and I don’t know WHO they would target, but it would make me feel MUCH BETTER about our team and even our draft. 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

None of the above.  I think the Bills are investing in Youth at the WR position with Kincaid, Coleman, Shakir,  Samuel and Claypool. I doubt they are going after a veteran WR...may be they will look for one with speed..but other than that this WR group is set for the next 2 years.

Kinda agree,  but it would be nice to have a WR in the room with some "vet savvy". 

• Agree 2

I said it in another thread - I don't want any of them right now.

I'd wait till the trade deadline. See how our offense is doing, and if necessary, trade for someone then. Some teams with bad record might want to trade a player and it will be cheaper than now. Seahawks, Titans, Raiders, Bucs and Rams all seem like a good potential candidates for this (from one OP listed).

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

I'd wait till the trade deadline. See how our offense is doing, and if necessary, trade for someone then. Some teams with bad record might want to trade a player and it will be cheaper than now. Seahawks, Titans, Raiders, Bucs and Rams all seem like a good potential candidates for this (from one OP listed).

If any trade were going to happen, this would be it. 

This board is obsessed with trading for a WR and it's just not going to happen. Beane said in his post draft interview that this was an infusion of youth off season. I think they believe we are more than set at WR and I agree. 

If I had to guess, they see Kincaid forming into a #1 option while Coleman develops this year. They see Samuel being a defacto #1 WR while Shakir plays the slot. We are more than fine at WR since #17 is our QB. We don't have big names because we got rid of our only "big name" so people panic. We will have a new "big name"(or #1) by the end of the season whether it's any of the mentioned above is to be determined. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would trade for Metcalf for sure

I would also trade for Hopkins or Adams if the price was not too much

Metcalf is a guy you can then pay and have as your number one. Hopkins and Adams would be rentals

The fact that Aiyuk wants to be paid right now and that SF is asking alot is a no go for me

DJ Moore is interesting as well. I would view him in the same way as DK where I would trade for him and pay him after this season

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

I think that this will be the FO’s tack. They’re going to see how competitive this team is before spending draft capital and money/cap space on this season. If it looks like a vet WR or DE can meaningfully improve the team for the playoffs, then they’ll try to make a move near the deadline. 

• Agree 1

DK Metcalf for sure, IMO.

Just the right combination of skillset that matches up with a guy like Allen or Mahomes,  likely with a more reasonable price tag to acquire and his contract doesn't need immediate re-work.   Also, IMO, he figures to stay in the $20M's as an extension candidate.   You can build a WR corps around him for the next few seasons.  Gradually develop Coleman at the other outside spot.......and just fill the slot with the more readily available and inexpensive 6' fast/quick types like they have there now with Shakir.   Hopefully Coleman develops into a Davante Adams by year 4 and then DK is 30 and you can move on.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1

I’m almost sure they won’t trade for anyone of those guys.   Money, picks, etc all make it not worth it and to be honest every one of them is a concern in one shape or another.   They SHOULD have just inked D-Hop last year, but you don’t go wasting a draft pick to make up for it, unless it’s unbelievably low, like a 4th or less.

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

I would trade for Metcalf for sure

I would also trade for Hopkins or Adams if the price was not too much

Metcalf is a guy you can then pay and have as your number one. Hopkins and Adams would be rentals

The fact that Aiyuk wants to be paid right now and that SF is asking alot is a no go for me

DJ Moore is interesting as well. I would view him in the same way as DK where I would trade for him and pay him after this season

DK is not a true 1, he’s a great compliment, but he’s the same thing whoever gets to be disappointed with Higgins next year is getting.  DJ Moore, also not a true Alpha, nor is Aiyuk.  Any of them make the team better, but they are absolutely not worth the draft capital AND the big contract to eat that much cap space. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I struggle with cap numbers and that but I've always wanted Terry McLaurin on the Bills before he goes beyond 30. 

McLaurin could be put in the Darkhorse category, salary $15M, age 29.  While meeting the level of 2024 Diggs quality it is hard to see Washington giving away their top WR, leaving them with just Dotson and the new 4th rounder Luke.  Would be a tough spot for their rookie QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If the compensation required is not too high, I'd say DeAndre Hopkins.

He can be the immediate starting X, allowing Coleman to work in more gradually without needing to be THE GUY from day one. It would also allow Coleman to play more of the move/big slot position that he seems better suited for. You can still bring Coleman along at X behind Hopkins, but also still get him on the field in other ways. Hopkins would be an excellent example for Coleman to learn from, in terms of how to win in the NFL as a bigger bodied guy without elite speed.

That said, my top choice would still be "buy a time machine, go back and trade for Diontae Johnson or Jerry Jeudy, and/or go back to the draft, and take Franklin, Walker, Baker, or Washington in the middle rounds".

Time machine preference not withstanding, the Bills still need help at WR.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I have to stress that no one is chalking up claypool as in the group 

also claypool turns 26 this summer, so same as several of those 

Edited by NoSaint

At this point we've at least got to give some of the youth and dark horse FA's a chance to break out and see what they got. 

What's the point of having guys like Shorter and Isabel on the roster if we just scoop up a big name that's gonna bury them ever further on the depth chart? It's a transition year anyway -- not ideal to be here in this situation but it is what it is and if by any chance we DID hit on any of these guys, we got to at least give them a fair shot to find out. 

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know IF they would do it, and I don’t know WHO they would target, but it would make me feel MUCH BETTER about our team and even our draft. 

To me the WHO is someone who is expected to be at least as good as Diggs in 2024.  That is the bar that Beane needs to hit to try for year over year improvement.

And yes, a trade for a top tier WR pulls the whole actions together - the letting Diggs go, only drafting one WR in a loaded draft, no major FA pickups.  It all comes together with this one move.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

If we could sign Metcalf that would a huge win in my opinion.  We'd need to extend him in order to drop the cap hit though, and that might be pricy. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We can't afford any of those guys.

Common misconception.  The Bills get $10M Tre money June 1st, also potential Josh restructure money. 

If you look at the salary aspects, none of those seem bad, it is the future money where the expense will be, and the Bills have room in the future.