Ray Ray Davis pick receiving praise

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-ray-davis-impact

Always thought Fowler provided good if not great coverage and insight on a variety of nfl subjects,  so I was happy to see this write up on our 4th round RB. 

Also had no clue he was only the 3rd 4th round pick Beane has made here, with the 2 others being Taron and Gabe, some great value for the 4th round. Will Ray Ray continue the trend? 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Always thought Fowler provided good if not great coverage and insight on a variety of nfl subjects,  so I was happy to see this write up on our 4th round RB. 

Also had no clue he was only the 3rd 4th round pick Beane has made here, with the 2 others being Taron and Gabe, some great value for the 4th round. Will Ray Ray continue the trend? 

I found the pick of Davis pretty interesting. At the time Beane picked there were still quite a few of the "big name" RBs left on the board. Some really interesting prospects. And this was who they took over all of them. I think they got the guy they wanted at the place they got him. Hopefully, it works out well. I like what I've seen from his clips. Like the way he runs. 

• Like (+1) 9

I thought Davis was one of the better backs in the draft.  Can do it all catch run and block.  Needed a back that can do the short yardage and goaline while also handling the primary back up role.  Getting him in the 4th was the right range.  Wouldn't want to be left out of the rb run.  Falls off pretty quick.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I thought Davis was one of the better backs in the draft.  Can do it all catch run and block.  Needed a back that can do the short yardage and goaline while also handling the primary back up role.  Getting him in the 4th was the right range.  Wouldn't want to be left out of the rb run.  Falls off pretty quick.   

Should be a great complement to Cook

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Should be a great complement to Cook

Johnson already provides a nice complement to Cook, and this pick just bolsters our depth. I hope it works out!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Johnson already provides a nice complement to Cook, and this pick just bolsters our depth. I hope it works out!

I think they like Johnson in his current role.  If Cook got hurt I dont see him carry the load. 

• Like (+1) 2

It seems to me like they took the guy most well suited to be a starting running back in the NFL. The most well rounded skillset.

Whereas Jaylen Wright or Isaac Guerendo may have offered more explosiveness, Will Shipley or Dylan Laube may have offered more in the passing game, Braelon Allen or Audric Estime may have offered more power, etc....Davis seemed to have the best blend of vision, speed, quicks, power, receiving ability, etc. 

I realize the Bills don't actually need a starting running back, but Davis seems to have the ability to be one.

On top of all that, I think his leadership, maturity, and the edge he plays with were all big selling points for Beane. He mentions specifically in the Embedded video that they were looking to add "leadership and dogs with edge", something like that. That's Ray Davis.

I think he'll be a good 1B to Cook's 1A. And if he winds up being a better pass blocker than Cook (a low bar to clear)....look out.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

It seems to me like they took the guy most well suited to be a starting running back in the NFL. The most well rounded skillset.

Whereas Jaylen Wright or Isaac Guerendo may have offered more explosiveness, Will Shipley or Dylan Laube may have offered more in the passing game, Braelon Allen or Audric Estime may have offered more power, etc....Davis seemed to have the best blend of vision, speed, quicks, power, receiving ability, etc. 

I realize the Bills don't actually need a starting running back, but Davis seems to have the ability to be one.

On top of all that, I think his leadership, maturity, and the edge he plays with were all big selling points for Beane. He mentions specifically in the Embedded video that they were looking to add "leadership and dogs with edge", something like that. That's Ray Davis.

I think he'll be a good 1B to Cook's 1A. And if he winds up being a better pass blocker than Cook (a low bar to clear)....look out.

Agree and both him and cook should be able to be three down backs so it’s not a sign we are going to run or pass if they are switched out 

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

19 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think they like Johnson in his current role.  If Cook got hurt I dont see him carry the load. 

Yeah I don't mind having a guy like Johnson in the rotation because RB's are still an inflation-adjusted dime-a-dozen but Davis is likely to move into the RB2 role pretty quickly.   Johnson had very little use last year and still ended up injured.   Hasn't proven he can give you much work over the years.   It's not out of the question that Gore or someone else makes the roster ahead of Johnson, even.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Ray Ray needs to make an impact early. He’s gonna be 25 by mid season. He may only have 3 years left.

Davis is a great pick he looks like a guy that's going to have a great drive to prove himself, has the skillset at RB we're looking for and has that next gear that Singletary and Moss didn't. Also missed in this pick is that the timing is pretty good, get this guy behind Cook this year before Cook is in his contract year next year. Cook has become pretty solid but still needs to improve as receiving RB if he wants to be that special kind RB that makes sense to get a second contract.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

Well said.  Ray Davis is a legitimate 3-down back.  He's obviously a good runner, good vision/contact balance etc., he's also decent in pass pro and is an above average receiving back.  

Cook is too good to not be RB1, but Ray Davis is actually more suited to be RB1 with Cook as the explosive change of pace back with WR level route running ability (not commenting on having actual WR skills until he stops dropping passes)

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I can’t really explain it, but Davis just pops off the screen when I see him run. He’s got the fluidity, power, hands, 🙌 and most importantly instincts to be a true bell cow. Cook should definitely be concerned because I think Davis is going to eat into his carries big time. He definitely would’ve been drafted higher in previous eras. 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Well said.  Ray Davis is a legitimate 3-down back.  He's obviously a good runner, good vision/contact balance etc., he's also decent in pass pro and is an above average receiving back.  

Cook is too good to not be RB1, but Ray Davis is actually more suited to be RB1 with Cook as the explosive change of pace back with WR level route running ability (not commenting on having actual WR skills until he stops dropping passes)

Easily the most talented RB duo since Jackson/Lynch IMO. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Davis was one of my favorite picks, in fact I absolutely love our first 5 picks.  I had him as my top RB target day 3 and he was one of my fave RBs in the draft.  

Davis will make relevant contributions to the offense this year.  I laughed when people said he wasn’t fast and just proves most fans have just dont understand “fast” in the NFL as they lean primarily on the least relevant metric of the 40 time.  

Davis is explosive, he’s got great burst and great acceleration. You want a guy that can burst through holes and accelerate past defenders.  Way more important than his peak untouched straight line speed because that so rarely comes into play.  

Davis is not only explosive but runs with tenacity and I can’t wait to see him and Cook back there this year.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't watch a ton of SEC football, but whenever I saw Kentucky highlights, Davis was always making big plays.  I think he'll turn out to be a very good pick for the Bills and successful NFL RB.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I don't watch a ton of SEC football, but whenever I saw Kentucky highlights, Davis was always making big plays.  I think he'll turn out to be a very good pick for the Bills and successful NFL RB.

Yeah i watched him a few times, and watch a lot of SEC Network (roll tide!) and I will tell you that Davis brings a great combination of tough running, slippery enough to make people miss, and dangerous out of the backfield.  I dont care that he's 24 or whatever. He's going to contribute immediately, and will be great later in the season when we need to wear out the other team by jamming the ball down their throats in inclement weather.

• Like (+1) 2