Ray Ray Davis pick receiving praise

4 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Your post just before the one I'm quoting was 11 paragraphs long. 😉

As far as what you posted, I'd categorize it as, accusations too vague to refute. For example, you've accused PBF81 of being biased, and of allowing that bias to influence his interpretation of stats. Maybe he's guilty of that, maybe he's not. If he is, perhaps you could provide one or two examples in which the data led in one direction, and PBF81's analysis led in a different direction due to bias. Something like that would do more to move the discussion forward, than would taking him down a notch type posts when you're not providing data with which to validate your conclusion.

This is a pet peeve of mine, but the word data is always plural. The singular of data is datum.

At the end of the day, I suggest you watch the 22 minute video PBF81 posted earlier: the one showing each of Coleman's targets for the 2023 season. At least for me, what my eyes told me as I watched that video was far more convincing than a typical statistical analysis would have been. Why am I not convinced by the usual type of statistical analysis? Coleman's QB threw an above-average share of passes which were inaccurate but still "catchable." That's going to make his WRs look worse, statistically, than would have been the case if they'd had Joe Montana throwing to them. A very good statistical analysis would prevent WRs from looking better or worse than they should, based on the merits or demerits of their QBs. But a more typical statistical analysis would give WRs credit or blame for factors outside their control, such as the quality of QB play. You obviously feel PB81's statistical analyses are lacking, which is all the more reason for you to do your own eyeball test of Coleman's play.

I did watch the Coleman video.  I was alluding to PBF81 bias, that's why I mentioned it.

Travis was all over the place with his throws.  Some good, but he had some very poor ball placement.  In addition, he threw with little anticipation.

Professional sites have shown that a high % of his targets were "uncatchable", which I agree with after watching the video too.

Again, IMO PBF has made up his mind on Coleman already.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

You call dropped passes simple facts?

Again you use stats, but adjust to fit your agenda.  Not always, but on some key topics. 

It's hard to take you seriously when you write 8 paragraphs, some of it is real good data/analysis, but one third to half is biased.

Then you use that to prove overall points about what direction this team is going.  So yeah, in the end, you're using biased data to form your overall conclusion.

Did you watch the video? 

It's facts, visual facts.  I'm guessing that you did not. 

So far one person admittedly has, and that person's assessment was downgraded as a result.  Not as a result of my words or anything that I said, but as a result of their own visual sensibilities.  

Stop making this about me and get over yourself.  It's obvious that you don't like me, so deal with it.  

Otherwise, LOL, do you have any idea of how much "bias" there is here, or anywhere for that matter.  

That was a pretty funny statement.  

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Did you watch the video? 

It's facts, visual facts.  I'm guessing that you did not. 

So far one person admittedly has, and that person's assessment was downgraded as a result.  Not as a result of my words or anything that I said, but as a result of their own visual sensibilities.  

Stop making this about me and get over yourself.  It's obvious that you don't like me, so deal with it.  

Otherwise, LOL, do you have any idea of how much "bias" there is here, or anywhere for that matter.  

That was a pretty funny statement.  

I've already told you that I watched the video.

We've discussed this in other threads too.

Jordan Travis poor ball placement/late throws are not drops to me.  When a pass sails 3 feet over Colemans hands.  Or he throws late just to have the DB break up the play is not a drop.

Again, you're twisting a stat to fit your agenda.

Previously you offered to recap your drop passes (game and play).  Please do that, I'd like to see how you're getting such a high drop rate

5 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I did watch the Coleman video.  I was alluding to PBF81 bias, that's why I mentioned it.

Travis was all over the place with his throws.  Some good, but he had some very poor ball placement.  In addition, he threw with little anticipation.

Professional sites have shown that a high % of his targets were "uncatchable", which I agree with after watching the video too.

Again, IMO PBF has made up his mind on Coleman already.

I'm glad you watched the video. If you had to form an impression of Coleman, based solely off of what you saw in that video, what would that impression be?

13 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Previously you offered to recap your drop passes (game and play).  Please do that, I'd like to see how you're getting such a high drop rate

I've provided much of the information you've asked for already.  

I have not gone through gbg and detailed them.  As stated, I will, but when I have time.  

I will try to remember to ping you when I do.  I'm actually going to splice the video together for all of them.  

Also, as I've stated, "drops" are subjective.  There is no metrics criteria for drops insofar as I know.  But the video is the video, and if you've watched it then you've watched it.  I'll tell you what though, before I get to that whenever that is, why don't you ping us all on what you consider to be anything beyond routine catches.  I think I counted three.  It would be far easier to do that.  

• Like (+1) 1

If Davis is 2-3 inches taller he is drafted early 2nd round and is probably the first RB off the board.

His game speed is insane. In the highlight packages I watched he was outrunning everybody on the field. His 40 wasn’t anything special but I think he’s a testament to how that metric is vastly overrated. Vision is great too. Perfect complement to Cook’s skill set and we should have a very nice 1-2 punch now.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, The All-Pro-Knox Gallery said:

If Davis is 2-3 inches taller he is drafted early 2nd round and is probably the first RB off the board.

His game speed is insane. In the highlight packages I watched he was outrunning everybody on the field. His 40 wasn’t anything special but I think he’s a testament to how that metric is vastly overrated. Vision is great too. Perfect complement to Cook’s skill set and we should have a very nice 1-2 punch now.

Davis could earn more carries than Cook IMO 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 8:31 AM, JerseyBills said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-ray-davis-impact

Always thought Fowler provided good if not great coverage and insight on a variety of nfl subjects,  so I was happy to see this write up on our 4th round RB. 

Also had no clue he was only the 3rd 4th round pick Beane has made here, with the 2 others being Taron and Gabe, some great value for the 4th round. Will Ray Ray continue the trend? 

So ironic he twice traded away the fourth pick to move up in the first. The fourth round for him is like everyone else's first round. He'd do better to trade his first for another team's fourth, confuse everyone and come out ahead. 😀

On 5/16/2024 at 7:43 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Davis could earn more carries than Cook IMO 

My only issue with Cook are those few drops that he had last year 2 or 3 of those would have been TD’s , if Cook can clean that up he could be special and will leads the team again in total yards wouldn’t surprise me if he goes for 1100-1200 yards rushing and 600-700 receiving , would anyone be surprised if Cook leads the league in total yards from scrimmage? 

On 5/15/2024 at 8:49 PM, The All-Pro-Knox Gallery said:

Davis hit one of the top 5 in-game speeds for rbs last season at 21.7mph vs Florida. 

That speed is 10th including wrs.

Notice the top 5 in-game speeds for wrs

Not surprised to see Troy Franklin at top 2, tied with Legette behind Worthy..I've seen him in person,  ludicrous in-game speed.

How about Brendan Rice with 5th fastest speed?...

I have no idea how he dropped to the 7th round. 6'3" 205lbs Caught 14 tds last season on only 45 catches, 31% of rec for TDS. 17.6yds per catch....

And he's Jerry ***** Rice's kid!

Wasn't even worth a 6th round flier?

Weird.

P.S. For those thinking Coleman plays faster than his 4.61 40 would indicate....he doesn't.

His 19.6 mph aligns perfectly with his 4.61

Edited by Turk71
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, benderbender said:

What I love about this regime is when they hit on a draft pick, it’s a dinger. When they miss, it’s embarrassing. It’s money ball style drafting and I can live with it. 

Not really sure what pick the Bills have made that was “embarrassing”. When I think of an embarrassing pick I think of a pick that many thought was bad at the time and turned out to be bad. I can’t think of a high pick that fits that description.

Even some of their more notable busts like Cody Ford, Zay Jones and Boogie Basham all were players projected to go around those selections and in the case of Zay he turned in a good NFL career just not with the Bills. I can’t think of any other big busts, Elam’s early returns are not great but he’s shown he can play here and there.

The Bills are mostly a team in the draft that hit a lot singles and doubles. They don’t hit a ton of home runs but they also don’t “strike out” too often either. Each draft they find a lot of starting caliber players which builds a strong deep roster.

The Bills just need a couple more big time selections here or there.

22 hours ago, Putin said:

My only issue with Cook are those few drops that he had last year 2 or 3 of those would have been TD’s , if Cook can clean that up he could be special and will leads the team again in total yards wouldn’t surprise me if he goes for 1100-1200 yards rushing and 600-700 receiving , would anyone be surprised if Cook leads the league in total yards from scrimmage? 

Not at all, he was 3rd last year , almost 2nd 

On 6/1/2024 at 6:24 AM, JerseyBills said:

Not at all, he was 3rd last year , almost 2nd 

He was 3rd among running backs but 6th among all players.   He was 450 yards behind McCafferty which is about 30%.  He was also about 20% behind Tyreek Hill and Cee Dee Lamb.

I would be surprised if Cook finished first in yards from scrimmage.  If Cook finishes first  it would probably mean McCafferty is injured and a bunch of other things fell his way.  It would probably also mean Davis is not getting a lot of touches.

Edited by Billy Claude
quoted wrong post

On 6/1/2024 at 2:45 AM, billsfan89 said:

Not really sure what pick the Bills have made that was “embarrassing”. When I think of an embarrassing pick I think of a pick that many thought was bad at the time and turned out to be bad. I can’t think of a high pick that fits that description.

Even some of their more notable busts like Cody Ford, Zay Jones and Boogie Basham all were players projected to go around those selections and in the case of Zay he turned in a good NFL career just not with the Bills. I can’t think of any other big busts, Elam’s early returns are not great but he’s shown he can play here and there.

The Bills are mostly a team in the draft that hit a lot singles and doubles. They don’t hit a ton of home runs but they also don’t “strike out” too often either. Each draft they find a lot of starting caliber players which builds a strong deep roster.

I must have been channeling this article from favorite Cover1 guy. It feels that the misses are magnified simply because the league has come to respect our GM and scouts. Like the rare times my wife misses a discount at the grocery store. It's not egregious, they've just done so well that you expect them not to miss like a team like the Panthers do on the regular. 

On 6/1/2024 at 2:45 AM, billsfan89 said:

Maybin

shall we continue ?

Current regime 

Elam was a reach and yet to pan out (still hopeful )